Watchmen

TheJoker

OH MY GOD! I was totally blown away by this film. It´s uncomercial, dark, violent, beautifull shot, complex, emotional++. This won´t be everyones cup of tea, but I thought it was an amazing, intens and original piece of art. :clapping:

I should be watching (the Watchmen - got the joke? haha :P ) it tomorrow. I am a little afraid of the "cool slow motion" effect. It seems like there are alot of them... What do you think about them? Did they add something, or not, or were lame?

And if you haven't read the books, well you should do it NOW. They must have alot more depth than the film.

There is actually very little slow-motion. The scenes that have this effect just adds to the film and is gorgeusly choreographed.

The film is almost identical to the book, so if you are a fan you probably won't be dissapointed. The director and crew got everything right IMO. The opening sequnce is one of the best openings in a movie, ever!

What can I say, I'm exctatic about this film. Just go and see it!!! :clapping:

so dissapointed, waste of 10 bucks and a waste of 3 hours of my life. Lacked coherence and reason, terrible acting and dialogue. The final seen... WTF? Every characters motive made no sense

Go read the comic for God's sake!

• 2 weeks later...

Ormy's right. There's a lot higher chance you won't like this movie if you haven't read the novel.

I watched it the other day and it wasn't bad. I think I like the novel a bit better. But they did follow it pretty well for a major film.

I think it was very good and gripping - especially the characters Rorschach and the Comedian. Splendid performances for these two. Some of the others were a bit less engaging. The slow motion effect just adds to the gorgeous comic book aesthetic without taking it over the top at all!

I think it was very good and gripping - especially the characters Rorschach and the Comedian. Splendid performances for these two. Some of the others were a bit less engaging. The slow motion effect just adds to the gorgeous comic book aesthetic without taking it over the top at all!

+10

Rorschach is motherjunking beast!

"Never compromise in the face of armageddon."

Only beasts can truly say that.

Loved the Comedian too. (Who is John Winchester in Supernatural :D ). He was a beast too but not as much of a beast as Rorschach.

''None of you understand. I am not locked in with you...you are locked in with ME!''

-Rorschach 2009

Best movie quote ever?

I think so. Not sure if it's going to be topped anytime soon. So beast.

I just finished the book, and saw the movie two days later. As soon as I saw the adventurers' hand-stitched costumes I knew this was going to be a film about 'real people' (ok, real make-believe costumed wannabe-superheroes, but you know what I mean)... the different decades were represented with an excellent feeling for the times, and most of the film just reeked of the 80s, even down to the cinematography. I was particularly struck by how similar-looking the characters in the film were to those in the book - it was quite uncanny. Dark, only as unnecessarily violent as the characters themselves, and morally ambiguous to its core, the film provoked a debate about morality that lasted for hours afterwards. Certain fairly important things were left out of the film though, necessitating the change of ending, and for me this had the effect of lessening the impact and authority of what I felt the book was trying to say about people. Great film, I'm not often moved to write reviews but this one is worth it IMHO.

It's been awhile since I've read the novel but wasn't only NYC targeted in the attack at the end?

The alien was teleported in and it sent out brainwaves to people on the planet with images that the aliens were going to invade and that the should be as ready as they can be for it.

As for the movie, Adrian made it look like Manhattan was the culprit and that multiple cities were targeted to make sure that any country would think it was their enemy that cause the attack. Since they knew what Manhattan can do, people feared at what he might do in the future. With Manhattan as the enemy, they could connect to him in a way that an alien would not because they know for certain that Manhattan is a real entity rather than some fictitious alien that only has a rotting corpse.

I can see why they changed it but I don't know whether or not there is any proper way to measure what each different outcome would impact the world, imo.