alesis m520

i'm probably about to purchase a pair of these. they will by my first monitor-speakers & will mainly be used for psychedelic ambient/idm & some manic durk spy.

guessing 220€ is a decent price for a first pair of monitors, but since i'm a total noob at this i'd be glad to hear some opinions on this.

& if anyone can recommend me a decent alternative in the same price-range i'll be sure to take into consideration ofcourse. :)

Posted Image

Hi fluffymushi!

Long time no see :)

In the same price range I have a pair of Edirol MA-20D and I'me very pleased with them!

Linear sound and good for small studio/rooms.

It seems that they only make the 15D now though: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productde...mp;ParentId=114

Heard good things about the Alesis MKII, but don't know about the m520.

Boom

Posted Image

this is a picture from the gms studio, i cant make out the outside speakers, the design looks like adam, but i'm not sure. the inner pair are dynaudio

also notice the highly professional acoustic regulation :P

get that along with whatever monis you're buying

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

this is a picture from the gms studio, i cant make out the outside speakers, the design looks like adam, but i'm not sure. the inner pair are dynaudio

also notice the highly professional acoustic regulation :P

get that along with whatever monis you're buying

I'm not impressed with those speakers.

just received my m520's :) so far so good! good punch, full bass & clear mids/high.

Hi fluffymushi!

Long time no see :)

In the same price range I have a pair of Edirol MA-20D and I'me very pleased with them!

Linear sound and good for small studio/rooms.

It seems that they only make the 15D now though: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productde...mp;ParentId=114

Heard good things about the Alesis MKII, but don't know about the m520.

Boom

ahoi serguei. :] i looked into the 15D's but they seemed a little small & underpowered in the bass-department (cut-off at 70hz). are you still working on the swan x-1 project btw?

Hi Fluffymushi!

yes the 15Ds are a little small, my 20D are a little better, and till now, in a small room, the bass frequencies seem nice enough to produce (of course not the best speakers for sub-bass)

Swan X-1 ended because we didn't get along with each other as well as in the past.

I started my solo Xamanist project, please check out by debut album :)Xamanist - Initiation

Collected the best tracks from my past (almost all Swan X-1 music was composed by me) and reviewed them with my 2009 ears :)

Big Boom! All the best for your productions! Are you still doing experimental dark ambient music?

ahoi serguei. :] i looked into the 15D's but they seemed a little small & underpowered in the bass-department (cut-off at 70hz). are you still working on the swan x-1 project btw?

the dynaudio's are a pretty damn fine pair of monitors.

they impressed me so far.

What did you expect? 100 000 worth of monitors? a stack of speakers 4 m high?

Get the best your money can buy. if you are producing for fun they will probably do a decent job. if you want to produce professionally its probably better to get something more expensive. Dynaudio's for example :lol:

And do something about the accoustics as well.