Goa

supergroover

Why do many people still call today's (fullon and even progressive) psychedelic trance, Goa? Today's psychedelic stuff isnt much like the old goatrance, let alone progressive psy, but alot of people still call it that.. I wonder why.

Any ideas?

Just laziness? lack of knowledge?

PSYchedelic TRANCE

GOA TRANCE

ISRATRANCE

NITZHONOT TRANCE

FULL-ON TRANCE

MELODIC TRANCE

PROGRESSIVE TRANCE

TRIBAL TRANCE

TECH TRANCE

MINIMAL TRANCE

TRIPPY TRANCE

ABSTRACT TRANCE

NOISE TRANCE

EXPERIMENTAL TRANCE

FREESTYLE TRANCE

SUOMI/OZIE TRANCE

CHILL-OUT TRANCE

FOREST TRANCE

PSYCORE

HORROR TRANCE

DARKPSY

DREAM TRANCE

ALIEN TRANCE

SPACE TRANCE

ACID TRANCE

HIGH-TECH TRANCE

wOOt wOOt !! :huh:

I guess for three reasons:

1. Lack Of Knowledge. New psyheads maybe have no clue what Goa really is.

2. Marketing. If a compilation with Goa in its title sells well, it will continue in the rest volumes.

3. Cause some ppl define as Goa Trance not the specific subgenre but the whole scene (the way we use the term Psytrance to describe the entire scene and all the various subgenres).

Well I've been following psy for close on two years now and still I get very, very confused as to why goa is called goa and other, newer acts are not. There are certain sounds that I associate with goa but the term is applied so loosely to some albums that it can get difficult to understand. I'm guessing that once I have listened to more and more of the older goa sounds then it will eventually click and things will fall into place but it's like you said, us newer guys just don't have the same knowledge as those who have lived through it/with it for longer. I guess it's the same with any of the genre labels we stick on these things.

PSYchedelic TRANCE

GOA TRANCE

ISRATRANCE

NITZHONOT TRANCE

FULL-ON TRANCE

MELODIC TRANCE

PROGRESSIVE TRANCE

TRIBAL TRANCE

TECH TRANCE

MINIMAL TRANCE

TRIPPY TRANCE

ABSTRACT TRANCE

NOISE TRANCE

EXPERIMENTAL TRANCE

FREESTYLE TRANCE

SUOMI/OZIE TRANCE

CHILL-OUT TRANCE

FOREST TRANCE

PSYCORE

HORROR TRANCE

DARKPSY

DREAM TRANCE

ALIEN TRANCE

SPACE TRANCE

ACID TRANCE

HIGH-TECH TRANCE

wOOt wOOt !! :huh:

WTF? :blink:

You forgot Gangsta Trance, Murda Trance, Evil Trance, Death Trance, Dark Trance, Industrial Trance, etc. :lol:

You forgot Gangsta Trance, Murda Trance, Evil Trance, Death Trance, Dark Trance, Industrial Trance, etc. :lol:

Not to forget EURO TRANCE and COUNTRY TRANCE. All very psychedelic. <_<

i feel it is a good thing to remind yourself and others where you are coming from.

simple yet beautiful and true :) Goa is the original spirit of the music, that’s all.

Edited by psytones

I'm guessing that once I have listened to more and more of the older goa sounds then it will eventually click and things will fall into place

That's more or less how it was for me. I've been listening to goa and psy for about 4 or 5 years. But of course, things tend to be subjective.

2. Marketing. If a compilation with Goa in its title sells well, it will continue in the rest volumes.

:lol: yea, there's this GOA BEACH or whatever, it reached volume 30 if im not wrong, and it's full of Goa artists like Vibrasphere etc etc. :posford:

Posted Image

well, there is no trance dictionary that will define exactly how every style should be sounded.

A thing that might sound like classic "goa" might sound to other like so called dark, or full on.

its all a matter of definition i guess.

:lol: yea, there's this GOA BEACH or whatever, it reached volume 30 if im not wrong, and it's full of Goa artists like Vibrasphere etc etc. :posford:

Posted Image

Well I think they're refering to the Goan Beach as in the beach of Goa, India, which should make more sense for the title. There's harldy any Goa music being played there anymore (as far as I know from rumours). But it's not like that beach belongs only to the Goa Trance genre, there was music played there of different styles long before trance got dominant. I guess now prog is more dominant there, with acts like vibrasphere. So if that kind of music is played there now, then I really don't mind it being called the Goa Beach. But yeah, it's all marketing anyway.

Goa trance originally meant "the kind of trance they play in Goa, India." We assigned it particular attributes... and by "we" I mean those of us actively participating in reviews, historical analysis, and discussion online. There's no need to call people "ignorant" if they use the original definition of a term and not the more "correct" version we have agreed upon. That would be silly!

it's an easy way to distinguish between whether a person is really into this music or not...

noobs and casual visitors call it "goa" -- as in "I'm just off to a goa party tonight" -- while people that really are into it classify it as psytrance, prog, fullon, oldschool, minimal etc...

at least that's a rule of thumb.

on the other hand I myself use the term, because when I use it, everybody seems to know what I'm talking about ... but when I use the term progressive for instance, then people tend not to know what I mean.