Spotify and psy

psychedelic_mustache

I guess most of you have noticed the hype surrounding spotify (www.spotify). If not - basically it's a service that allows you to download a client from which you can stream music freely (at least that's the idea eventually... for now it's only free if you're invited - which I am. If you're not you have to pay a monthly fee). Annyways - I've noticed that there's not really much psy- or psy-related music there, and the few things that are available will mainly be compilations from "odd" labels.

Anyway - I was wondering if any of the people on this forum who are involved in a label could shed some light on how this actually works out for you. Is it a conscious choice to stay away from the service, or is the problem mainly that the guys behind the service doesn't know you exist and therefor haven't included you? If you are there - are you actually paid? Have you been in contact with the people behind this sort of thing, and would you eventually consider putting your stuff up there?

Basically I'm just curious how this kind of thing works for small, independent labels of any scene, so go ahead and enlighten me in any way you can :)

hey ... that streaming thing sounds familiar to me

wasn't it exactly this what some people promised for the future of music? in some other threads that is...

anyway...

I have never heard of spotify. But it seems to be in beta state and that's why it's invitation only ... any hint on how to get invited btw? Is that invitation thing like gmail?

Is this PC only or do they offer services for mobile streaming? Because if they did, that would be cool.

They don't seem to be big yet. Which might be the reason that almost no psy is on there ... it's obviously because nobody - also no labels - knows about it :)

http://spotify.rejected.se/

One invite per IP, enjoy. They actually had quite alot of psy a way back, but seems most of it got sweeped in the recent cleanup. There's some Infected, MWNN and those random compilations moustache mentioned, but they also have almost full catalogues from Ninja Tune Records, FSOL, Biosphere, Brian Eno, The Orb, Orbital etc.. It's a goldmine for more mainstream stuff and newer indie stuff. Those collaborative playlists you can make with your friends are also quite nice. Try it and fall in love with it :)

Aa, forgot to mention:

"Spotify Premium is available in Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Spain and the UK."

"The Free version is only available in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France and Spain, and in some of those countries requires an invitation to be used."

They don't seem to be big yet. Which might be the reason that almost no psy is on there ... it's obviously because nobody - also no labels - knows about it :)

Aha, that would make sense. Here, however, it's been a huge hype all over the mainstream media, cut I hadn't noticed that the premium service was limited to just a few countries like kobne mentioned..

They actually had quite alot of psy a way back, but seems most of it got sweeped in the recent cleanup. There's some Infected, MWNN and those random compilations moustache mentioned, but they also have almost full catalogues from Ninja Tune Records, FSOL, Biosphere, Brian Eno, The Orb, Orbital etc.. It's a goldmine for more mainstream stuff and newer indie stuff. Those collaborative playlists you can make with your friends are also quite nice. Try it and fall in love with it :)

Yeh, alot of good stuff disappeared, not only psy... But it's still got a lot of really good content, so I recommend it, especially for just "browsing" and discovering things I didn't know about. Still curious about how it works out cash-wise though, for labels and artists...

• 4 months later...

Quite good psy-update in Spotify today:

Absolum, Aes Dana, Aphid Moon, Astral Projection, Atma, Chi-A.D. FREq, GMS, Haldolium, Kalahari Surfers, Rinkadink, Protoculture, Psywalker, Quantize, Reefer Decree, Skazi, Space Monkey, Shulman, Ticon, Vibe Tribe, Void, Yahel, Yotopia

And some compilations:

VA-Raja Ram's Stash Bag 1-4

VA-Rewired

VA-Mystery Of The Thirteen Crystal Skulls

VA-The Secret Of the Crystal Skulls (part 2)

VA-Mystery Of the Yeti Part 2

You can see the new releases being added by following the spotify blog:

http://www.spotify.com/blog/

There used to be a lot of electronic music on Spotify a few months back, but almost all of it was removed, but it seems they add some electronic music now and then.

When I first signed up you could actually listen to that fake Hallucinogen album found on some p2p-networks, Astonis-something-or-whatever. So I guess they just downloaded as much as they could from the p2p-networks instead of ripping a billion out of print cd's. Some labels and distributors probably didn't like to find unreleased and fake albums on Spotify.

I use Spotify at work. It's ok, but it lacks features, and electronic music.

how many adds do you get? Are they popups or actual adds like on the radio?

It's like radio ads now and then, but it's seldom enough not to be irritating, of course if you are listening to an ambient album an interruption can be devastating...but for 10 euros a month, no ads..

So this is fucked up, now I got a message from last.fm that I have to pay money to continue to liksten to their radio. <_<

AFAIK you won't find any psy on Spotify. Maybe their concept is interesting, so good luck and maybe in the future EDM will become bigger in it's liberary.

www.di.fm is getting bigger and better, imo :)

So this is fucked up, now I got a message from last.fm that I have to pay money to continue to liksten to their radio. <_<

AFAIK you won't find any psy on Spotify. Maybe their concept is interesting, so good luck and maybe in the future EDM will become bigger in it's liberary.

www.di.fm is getting bigger and better, imo :)

Yup last.fm is not free anymore. Only three countries don't have to pay.

Sucks, as I had found quite a number of (psy) artists I really like there.

yup, although i don't use last.fm's radio, I only like it for scrobbling and for social networking, so I dont really care that much. what are your last.fm's btw... ? ( @ psytones, @psytimeofurlife i think i have u already -] )

You should all join the group Psynews (http://www.last.fm/group/Psynews) on last.fm then. If you haven't already.

Why would I join that when I can't use last.fm to listen to music without paying? :)

That's right. You shouldn't join then.

But the others might want to scrobble and use it for social networking. Like the Timey trap said.

scrobbling + social networking

:)

Ok, I get that and it seems fun to put your taste and np stuff out there to people to see and connect. But does that mean that you good folks (you, insajn etc) are paying to use last?

is scrobbling and networking so important you are willing to pay for it? :smile:

Ok, I get that and it seems fun to put your taste and np stuff out there to people to see and connect. But does that mean that you good folks (you, insajn etc) are paying to use last?

is scrobbling and networking so important you are willing to pay for it? :smile:

I'm not paying a dime to use it. Also, me and X-scream use Last.fm web services for our swedish "electronic music" site :)