Cosmosis - Fumbling for the Funky Frequency

Guest antic

From www.cosmosis.co.uk:

So, here's an idea of what I have been cooking up in my studio for the last 18 months or so.... I'm shooting for an April 2009 release date, but still have a lot of work to do finalizing mixes, completing the last tune, deciding last details and generally bringing the whole thing together, so we'll see ...

I'm really pleased with how the tunes have turned out for this one. I've been digging into the deeper corners of the Cosmosis bag (fumbling for those funky frequencies ...) so there's plenty of melody and colour interweaving and dancing between some very trippy psychoactive textured layers. Also I've been discovering vast previously untapped seams of juicy old school vibe deep in the bag, which I've enjoyed layering on in spades in some of the tracks. Plenty of light and shade, keeping it musical and pleasing to the ear but yet still a phat and pumping, raging and jumpin', feets-don't-fail-me-now, pedal to the metal, high octane, rubbery be-basslined, monster sub-bass fest...

Hope you like it (I hope you buy it as well !)

Billy Cosmosis

Posted Image

:posford:

Personally, I've just wet my pants... :rolleyes:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I reckon it can suck balls...

It wouldn't be very pleasant with wet pants, would it? :D

But I know what you mean, as the last one was pretty hit & miss also for me, with a lot of unnecessary elements and influences...

Well, time will tell and the cover definitely looks promising, i.e. much better than the last one.

The cover is great... But I guess that's all the positive I can say about this :D

I say him live 2 months ago, playing his new tracks, and expect guitars everywhere... he even went ON the turning tables to "rock" on the guitar, I was so dissapointed :(

The cover is great... But I guess that's all the positive I can say about this :D

I say him live 2 months ago, playing his new tracks, and expect guitars everywhere... he even went ON the turning tables to "rock" on the guitar, I was so dissapointed :(

Damn, I was afraid of that seeing the guitars on every latest picture from his lives... :(

WTF's wrong with those old-school guys?!? First Electric Universe, now Cosmosis...

What do you expect from a guy who was basically a professional guitarist first. I suspect this is one of those things that people who haven't spent years and years studying and playing an actual instrument perhaps can't wrap their heads around so well, but the pull of blending your computer music skills with your live instrument ones is a strong, and I feel completely natural one to anyone who has actually played an instrument first. Then again I have guitars in my work too so maybe I'm just biased, but I say who the f*** cares what you use, as long as it is good music. All b.s. of "oh my god, he's using a guitar so it is crap" without even hearing one damn note is a bit rediculous especially considering the guy's had guitars in just about all of his albums in one form or another. Oh wait, this is psy trance where the only real instruments allowed are didgeridoos, or one of a hand full of "ethnic" percussion instruments. Sorry, nothing to see here folks, move along, move along...

Maybe it's because most guitars in Psytrance does sound terrible and it puts people off. But I agree, they can sound good but it takes some super awesome skill to do it. I suppose we'll see!

Anything can sound good in proper hands, but it's horrible when artists add guitars to their tracks just because guitars in psytrance are "popular".

Oh wait, this is psy trance where the only real instruments allowed are didgeridoos, or one of a hand full of "ethnic" percussion instruments. Sorry, nothing to see here folks, move along, move along...

No no. Didgeridoos and other instruments can sound just as bad as guitars can in the hands of anti-talents. Just like useless over-exagerations with flutes. If someone's gonna record something with a flute, well at least they could make some decent melody with it not just slap a few random long notes in there.

What do you expect from a guy who was basically a professional guitarist first. I suspect this is one of those things that people who haven't spent years and years studying and playing an actual instrument perhaps can't wrap their heads around so well, but the pull of blending your computer music skills with your live instrument ones is a strong, and I feel completely natural one to anyone who has actually played an instrument first. Then again I have guitars in my work too so maybe I'm just biased, but I say who the f*** cares what you use, as long as it is good music. All b.s. of "oh my god, he's using a guitar so it is crap" without even hearing one damn note is a bit rediculous especially considering the guy's had guitars in just about all of his albums in one form or another. Oh wait, this is psy trance where the only real instruments allowed are didgeridoos, or one of a hand full of "ethnic" percussion instruments. Sorry, nothing to see here folks, move along, move along...

Yeah but seriously, we have had enough of the guitars in psy allready, its not a new thing.. it was there in 1997 and probably even earlier to.. and gosh it was annoying then allready.

guitar or sitar in psy = instafail :drama: :D

there are so many people who uses guitar in their psy tracks that it has become kind of over used, xenomorph, infected mushroom, synsun, sun project, etc etc etc etc

On Infected Mushrooms Classical Mushrom album, i loved all the tracks except those with guitars in, same goes for UX-Ultimate Experience album.

When i think about it, there is probably just one track with "guitar sounds" in it wich i can stand to listen to, and that is Infected Mushroom-Stretched... but then that is just a guitar sound/patch on the yamaha motif ;D

Ah, the good old open-minded psytrance scene! ;)

Accusations of Bill adding guitars because it's 'fashionable' are way off the mark; I've got footage of a party OOOD and Cosmosis/Laughing Buddha both played live at in 1997 and Bill's rocking it properly - and the dancefloor does seem to love it. He does it because he's good at it; guitar is just as valid a texture for psytrance as the kick drum and it all depends on what he's actually doing with the instrument.

Writing off an entire album because you've heard it might have guitar on it is just... stupid. Personally I'm waiting to hear the music before I decide whether or not I like it... and just because he plays guitar in his live shows doesn't mean there's that much guitar on the album!

$0.02

i understand what you guys are all saying here, pro's and con's included

blending guitars in goatracks has shown us many times how bad it can be... so its kinda hard for some people to expect the oposite...

however, cosmosis has shown us already he's got the brain and the feeling for making music, so i'm always interested in what he's got to offer us ;)

But unfortunatly, as an oldskool freak, i was not impressed by his live act a few months ago. Mostly because its fullon and not necesarly because its with guitars.

I'm pretty sure people can make very nice oldskool minded goatracks with a guitar, but some artists don't believe in the oldskool sound anymore... While it is people like me who have lost their belief in the fullon sound.

So what i'm saying here, is that its not necesarly the guitars thats gonna bother me about this album, but its the fullon sound that i'm really affraid of...

But I have found artists who made fullon sound like butterflies, lets just hope i find some more! :)

€0,02

come on you guys give him a break!!!

this aint chico we are talking about, this is bilbo, one of the pioneers of this genre.

if there are guitars on this album they will fit.

think of some of the best guitar tracks over the last 12 years or so???

he has composed some of the best imo of course.

live is different, easy to go a little over the top and red light the amps.

personally i can't wait for this, good or bad, this is integral at keeping this scene alive and kicking

good on you billy, kick out the jammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmms

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I found his track on MySpace (thanks Melancholyman :) ) not that bad. Seems like a sort of breakbeat if I'm not mistaking. I just find that the structure of the track is a bit chaotic... But I'll have to listen to it more.

I'm a bit afraid of the guitars if there were to be any, but we'll see.

Writing off an entire album because you've heard it might have guitar on it is just... stupid. Personally I'm waiting to hear the music before I decide whether or not I like it... and just because he plays guitar in his live shows doesn't mean there's that much guitar on the album!

$0.02

You're right, that is stupid. It just automatically sat of my "crap alarm" since I've never really heard a good electric guitar in a full on track to this date.

Oh, no wait... The Delta - Travelling At The Speed of Thought (that is a guitar right?) is good. Also, Artifakt - No Present :P

• 3 months later...
Guest antic

SAMPLES

...and damn, they sound really good! His individual style is still there, with unmistakeable sounds & tricks, but this time - compared to Psychedelica Melodica - it seems less full-onish and more goa/psy-ish (last two tracks!). Would kill for 4-min samples, though :)

If he throw out fullon basslines and fullon things we could have one of the best goa trance albums of whole time .... according to samples ofcourse , but still sounds very good , im hardly waiting for this :D

Yes, samples sound promising. I'm looking to hearing 1, 5, 6, 7.

Yet I'm afraid I'll get bored/annoyed by the basslines. Let's hope not.