Music like Osom, Derango, Furious etc.

I was listening lately some ultra crazy darkpsy stuff like the compilation Midnight's Shared Blossom.

Everyone who has listened to it knows what kind of paranoia the tracks deliver. Being an amateur producer myself I find really strange how these artists are able to produce such music.

What I mean? Take for example the track Osom-Exorcisto. The lenght of this track is 16 minutes and literally there's a different sound effect almost every second! :wacko:

How is that possible to create so maaaany effects? Personally I find creating an effect one of the most difficult things to do in a track.

Of course these artists have all the experience, equipment, imagination and talent to do it, but still I find it impossible to realise how they do it.

Remember I'm not talking about the typical darkpsy track here, but about ultra-insane music like the artists I mentioned above.

It's - Magic!

Some people have it, some people don't.

Yes, I'll bet that furious or Derango just sat down one day and decided to produce, and wupti, from one day to the other, Tumult and Uncanny beats pops out.... Hehe, i think you need some basic understanding for your programming, and alot of experience from other artists or whatever... But i would really love to know how they do it... Could imagine that effectmachines like glitch and camelspace is used (probably some expensive hardware? )

And ofcourse Talent is a must for producing a masterpiece like the above mentioned artists have, but that wasn't the question as far as i understand ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I know you've been trying to make music too, right Ormion? Well, from my experience I always had this problem that I did something, the thought it sounds too weird, off-beat or out-of-tune and deleted it. It seems that those guys do not really care! They put transitions wherever and whenever they feel like, not just after the end of the phrase; they change the tempos without any warning sign; they switch the basslines, drums, effects without following any of the 'written' rules of music composition and arrangement; they put sampled atmospheres / sequences not caring whether they fit in key / tempo to the rest of the track; they put effects on everything; their key changes would make you cringe if it was goa-trance... They're not simply constrained by the 'normal' rules.

I had a friend like that - he'd make a track and use a piano instead of the kick, because he couldn't find one; he had no idea about music theory nor basic arrangement; yet, amongst tens of the tracks he made there was a lot of beautiful stuff, be it created accidentally or on purpose, but the best bits in his music were those I would never come up with! And even if I would, I'd sure had deleted it... :(

Now, I'm not suggesting they have no idea of proper music / composition / arrangement or are not talented, but - in addition to that - they have the 'cut-off filter for wacky/crazy stuff' much higher than most, that's why they're able to create such otherworldly music.

bouncing every fx sound you make in a track and building a sample database with those is a way to go. Don't sample the delays with the sound (unless you note the bpm with it in the sample name). And possibly write down the note of the sample (fe B). This way you ll create your own coherent sound.

Also check isratrance forum btw.. lots of hints, tips and tricks to be found there!

I know you've been trying to make music too, right Ormion? Well, from my experience I always had this problem that I did something, the thought it sounds too weird, off-beat or out-of-tune and deleted it. It seems that those guys do not really care! They put transitions wherever and whenever they feel like, not just after the end of the phrase; they change the tempos without any warning sign; they switch the basslines, drums, effects without following any of the 'written' rules of music composition and arrangement; they put sampled atmospheres / sequences not caring whether they fit in key / tempo to the rest of the track; they put effects on everything; their key changes would make you cringe if it was goa-trance... They're not simply constrained by the 'normal' rules.

I had a friend like that - he'd make a track and use a piano instead of the kick, because he couldn't find one; he had no idea about music theory nor basic arrangement; yet, amongst tens of the tracks he made there was a lot of beautiful stuff, be it created accidentally or on purpose, but the best bits in his music were those I would never come up with! And even if I would, I'd sure had deleted it... :(

Now, I'm not suggesting they have no idea of proper music / composition / arrangement or are not talented, but - in addition to that - they have the 'cut-off filter for wacky/crazy stuff' much higher than most, that's why they're able to create such otherworldly music.

bouncing every fx sound you make in a track and building a sample database with those is a way to go. Don't sample the delays with the sound (unless you note the bpm with it in the sample name). And possibly write down the note of the sample (fe B). This way you ll create your own coherent sound.

Also check isratrance forum btw.. lots of hints, tips and tricks to be found there!

Interesting :)

And just to make it clear. I don't ask this question for getting tips to make something similar. I can't make something similar :D

But after listening to Midnight's Shared Blossom I was like :blink:

I had heard many fx madness tracks before, but this was way too mad!!!

I actually tried once to count how many different fx the Exorcisto track has, but I tired of counting and stopped. :lol:

You're talking about Bigwigs right? :)

You're talking about Bigwigs right? :)

No, I don't know them personally - I was talking about my friend from high-school, when we were both pretty active on local Amiga demo-scene.

But you're right, Bigwigs also have this 'high tolerance' for crazy/wacky/off-the-wall stuff and so far it serves them pretty well, I guess :)

No one? :unsure:

drink lots of lots of aciid and comunicate with the highest being of your inner temple to experience the outer universe, then pour aciid on your hardwear.

Relax for a few weeks, then do the whole ritual again. Then when your sure it is there to stay, drink some more and try to make music out of your head.

Should do the trick.

• 1 month later...

:lol: Psytones is right actually, acid helps (just not during the actual production :P). heh.

But other than having talent, years of experience, and a will to experiment and ignore the 'its just noises' people...

Actually I think they make a special Psykovsky VST that makes all those crazy sounds automatically. Furious uses it too. Thats their secret. Press one button, and PRESTO! Mindfuckery.

OK I know that I'll sound like another amateur who will probably never release anything in his life but pretends to know a lot more than he does but anyway to me it's all a matter of applying random FX and sounds, and putting lots of them together. Like others said, once you analyze the tracks themselves you realize that there isn't much structure, you are just overwhelmed by the big loud bassline and many sounds that are thown in your face at once.

Also don't forget to change the bassline pitch every now and then to make it sound really cool ;)