Baraka

MattMan

Has anoyne seen this one? It's a masterpiece from start to finish. No plotline, just visual artistry with an immense sountrack..

Posted Image

"Without words, cameras show us the world, with an emphasis not on "where," but on "what's there." It begins with morning, natural landscapes and people at prayer: volcanoes, water falls, veldts, and forests; several hundred monks do a monkey chant. Indigenous peoples apply body paint; whole villages dance. The film moves to destruction of nature via logging, blasting, and strip mining. Images of poverty, rapid urban life, and factories give way to war, concentration camps, and mass graves. Ancient ruins come into view, and then a sacred river where pilgrims bathe and funeral pyres burn. Prayer and nature return. A monk rings a huge bell; stars wheel across the sky"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103767/

Posted Image

Psytrance refrence:

Q: If you had to choose a movie to make a soundtrack to, what would it be?

My music is very visual so I guess a very visual kind of movie, the one that immediately springs to mind is Baraka.

(A similar movie to this one is called "Koyaanitsqatsi")

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah this movie is definitely one of my favorite movies!!! Ron Fricke is a very talented guy, I think he has some kind of six sense when it comes to picking fantastic film locations! He was also the guy controlling the shooting of Koyaanisqatsi, which is also fantastic, and with a brilliant score by Phillip Glass! :rolleyes:

An actual follow up is coming this year called Samsara.

Also by Ron Fricke. Michael Stearns is involved in the music again.

Is it actually coming this year :o I have heard of this one for quite a while now, was supposed to have come some time ago. But I guess this kind of film (especially) should never be rushed!!! If I remember correctly it took them 8 yrs to make Koyaanisqatsi :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Posted Image

Anyone ever see this?

I think it's pretty psychedelic.

Anyone know anything else like this?

• 5 weeks later...

Posted Image

Anyone ever see this?

I think it's pretty psychedelic.

Anyone know anything else like this?

oh sure, there are tons:

Naqoyqatsi - Life as War

Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance

Powaqqatsi - Life in Transformation

Microcosmos

Winged Migration

March of the Penguins

Yan Athus Bertrand's Home

Life

Wild Pacific

and many many more... ALTOUGH I should warn you that seeing a few of these movies will make you notice just how easy and stereotypical it is to film some random nature images with a wide-angle camera and put some sad atmospheric music on top, all the "magic" will be gone by the time you have watched the 5th movie...

• 1 year later...

Just merged two Baraka threads... ;)

and regarding the Samsara movie, apparently it is starting to screen around the world, had premier at film festival in Canada in September or November... read more here http://www.barakasamsara.com/ the site also contains a map with all the shooting locations for Baraka... :wub:

• 3 months later...