Recent ratings

Ormion

Almost anything by the Coen Brothers is worth seeing. :)

totally agree! anyone interested in movie-art needs to see their movies. personally, i think the big lebowski is their best. how can you not adore the dude ;-)

still, each piece has its own individual note. their casting is also brilliant.

i urge anyone who likes coen movies to also watch "magnolia".

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

totally agree! anyone interested in movie-art needs to see their movies. personally, i think the big lebowski is their best. how can you not adore the dude ;-)

still, each piece has its own individual note. their casting is also brilliant.

i urge anyone who likes coen movies to also watch "magnolia".

Interesting suggestion. I am a big fan of the Coen brothers opus, but didn't find Magnolia captivating and engaging enough.

But I very much agree about The Big Lebowski being their finest movie, maybe equalled only by Fargo. Oh yeah, and I absolutely adored last year's Burn After Reading! I LOLed so much during that one.

Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing, No Country For Old Men (Javier Bardem's performance owns) , O Brother, Where Art Thou, the macabre The Man Who Wasn't There and Blood Simple are all great movies, each in their own right, while I found Raising Arizona, The Hudsucker Proxy and The Ladykillers substandard and inconsistent when compared to the rest of their cinematography.

Overall, I enjoy watching their flicks. Each one of them has a dark humour scene with witty and awkward punchlines, with an unexpected twist. I like that!

Recently, I watched Terminator Salvation. If you unplug your brain, you will get exposed to a fun two hours of amazing man vs machine action sequences and cool special effects. Nothing revolutionary or innovative, just good old Hollywood SF fun :)

That's what I expected, and that is what I got.

The Ladykillers is just at the same weirdo route as O Brother, Where Art Thou - well, that's my personal view. ..and i liked Ladykillers as much as O brother. Hanks was brilliant - and once again proved to be an outastanding actor. :)

I watched Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis 2 days ago, and I loved it, I allways tend to like French comedies, I dunno why, but I kinda like French movies, and this was no exception, I lmfao. :)

Long time that a comdey was worth the name comedy, usually "comedies" fail to make me laugh like I mean it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1064932/

The Wrestler

Uninspirering peace of chiche's, I'm surprised to see it have a 8.3 rating on IMDB. It was a nice story, some good acting by Rourke, but thats it.

The bad relationship towards his daughter.. Seen so many times before. The relationship to the stripper because he don't have anybody ells... Ohh I so feel for that poor schmock, or do I? When he asked her to dance in the bar, to make a "crazy" atmosphere, all seen before.

6,75/10

I watched Yes Man last night. Nothing revolutionary, it is far from classic material, it isn't trying to be either. But, it is so damn fun, I LOLed two hours after the movie's running time was up. So funny, so cool, and it actually delivers a very positive message to all you couch potatoes out there!

I give it a 4/5. Entertainment factor is very high!

As for more serious movies, I watched Matteo Garrone's Gommora. A very insightful, close up, and hard to digest peek into the Naples underground. Very documentaristic, thus all the more powerful and real, it shows no bling, no fancy cars and larger than life shoot outs and turf battles, Hollywood dapper don gangsters are out of the question, but poor, lost and confused kids looking for an easy way out are on the menu. Betrayal, family relationships and friendship are portrayed in a gritty manner. Easily the finest italian move ever to deal with the Naples' Camorra. I rate it with a 5/5!

Watchmen

As close to perfect as a Hollywood blockbuster can get. most likely going to be a commercial success and whet the appetites of cine critics at the same time. the perfect example of art meets commercial cinema for me

8.5/10

Pretty thought provoking towards the end as well .. so who's side are you on Adrians or Rorschach's ??

Watchmen

As close to perfect as a Hollywood blockbuster can get. most likely going to be a commercial success and whet the appetites of cine critics at the same time. the perfect example of art meets commercial cinema for me

8.5/10

Pretty thought provoking towards the end as well .. so who's side are you on Adrians or Rorschach's ??

Rorschach. Always Rorschach.

Adrian's motive was for the greater good, but ppl must know the truth.

Never compromise. Never.

Rorschach. Always Rorschach.

Adrian's motive was for the greater good, but ppl must know the truth.

Never compromise. Never.

Me too. One thing i didn't get is why did jon have to kill him? He could have just wiped his mind of the memory given he had god like powers. such a likeable character like Rorschach didn't have to die.

but i guess that is what makes the movie so good. liked it as much if not more than the Dark Knight!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

9 ( 2009 ) SHANE ACKER

Finally a true gothic animated film ! Whoa, this was thrilling and short ride, spot on ! There are no bullshits, overused dialogues, clichees and other kiddy oriented animated forms. This is pure adult animation, dark to its core, but still with some optimism. Of course, it wouldn't have this look if Tim Burton wasn't the producer, his name is written all over this dark masterpiece. The story is ok, nothing that groundbreaking or spectacular but what makes this anime so special is the actual ANIMATION. Wow, the attention to details and presenting post apocalyptic world where whole humanity is erased by machines is breathtaking. The editing and sound editing is pure mind fuck. This is surely one of the most quality anim3 I have ever seen... Gritty, Gothic, Industrial tale of man vs. machine issue... 10/10

Star Trek 2009

-Silly/dumb script

-Choice of kirk's actor

-Silly/dumb script

-Silly/dumb script

+Visuals

+Action was good

+Visuals

+Visuals

+..did I mention visuals? I gasped a bunch of times. Fucking fantastic.

8.5/10

• 4 weeks later...

Some Classics:

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)

A classic for no other reason then its great use of stopmotion animation, this movie is actually kind of corny with lines like "Trust in Alla, but tie up your camel."

It was the second movie in a trilogy of Sinbad movies and probably the weakest of the three, but it does have babage going for it, when Sinbad frees a slavegirl.

6/10

The Blob (1958)

This movie was obviously made for teens and young adults in the '50s, but it's still surprisingly good today.

It is slow going by today's movie standards, but if you listen, the dialog is thought provoking.

I'm still waiting for a blob to eat a small American town.

8/10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really nice atmosphere, beautiful animation, good story (with one BIG exception), horrible ending!

So definitely watch-able, but get ready for a stupid and disappointing ending, then you will be satisfied for sure :)

7.5/10

Good action sequences, predictable story, amazing special effects, annoying actors (in the long run). But watchable if fantastic special effects is enough for you, for me its a bit over top!

6/10

• 4 weeks later...

Saw The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus yesterday.

The story was reminiscent of a fable, the visuals of the imaginarium were OK.

It was kind of odd with the character played by Heath Leger and two other actors switching, but I was prepared for that.

8/10