Psykovsky - Da Budet

buddha

Guest antic

Not much of a review i guess.

Don't worry - it's been two pages already and no proper review to be seen.

If I wouldn't have the album, I'd had no idea how it sounds...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest antic

Isshoni Taides - Im very impressed by this song.

Same here. It sounds similar to what The Orb could produce nowadays, if they had been making decent stuff again :)

Lovely album, this - I find parts of it to be totally not dance-friendly, but as a listening / tripping music this is gorgeous; especially tracks like Bekhudi, La Rondo de la Folio, Isshoni Taides and As Soon As Prayers Cross - those are real cinematic experiences, with lots of mood changes and story-telling behind what initially seems to be just simple beats. I love how he mixes real, often symphonic / classical samples into the frantic 4/4 sequences, how the tempos change and all those little quirky sounds and crazy effects. I find this 'style' to be much more appealing than regular darkpsy (a'la Mubali, Olien, Malice in Wonderland etc.), because it's much more delicate, imaginative and challenging. It also shows, the guy has a lot of humour, is not afraid to use cheesy / risky samples and is not treating the (sub-)genre with too-much seriousness.

This might well turn out to be the best darkpsy album so far (well, IMO anyway :))

well sorry to break the stream of positive reviews but I was a bit dissapointed with this, especially compared to his Debut album which I found to be the best dark psy release of 2005. Generally speaking this just sounds too contained compared with his earlier stuff, it is not unpredictable enough. And no, raising the tempo over 160BPM is NOT what I call unpredictable, anyone can do that, it doesn't really take a genious...

IMO this album suffers too much from the "Penta syndrome": everything sounds cool and neatly arranged, but there's nothing there to really make you go crazy, which is all the contrary to his first album. And when things really go hectic, like in Isshoni Taides, it's just all TOO wierd (singing Happy Birthday to You, WTF??).

OK, I'm not saying it's all bad but definately not as good as his first album and I'd pick Psychoz - 2012 No Return over this one anyday... 7/10

OK, I'm not saying it's all bad but definately not as good as his first album and I'd pick Psychoz - 2012 No Return over this one anyday... 7/10

I love this album too, but IMO is a completelly different style with Da Budet. They're both darkpsy, but sooo different.

IMO this album suffers too much from the "Penta syndrome": everything sounds cool and neatly arranged, but there's nothing there to really make you go crazy, which is all the contrary to his first album. And when things really go hectic, like in Isshoni Taides, it's just all TOO wierd (singing Happy Birthday to You, WTF??).

Happy Birthday+Psyloveyou were both written for his wife as a birthday/proposal, to exemplify his inspiration/love of her, or so I was informed, thus I wouldn't call it "random" at all but yet another beautiful expression of love through music.

Happy Birthday+Psyloveyou were both written for his wife as a birthday/proposal, to exemplify his inspiration/love of her, or so I was informed, thus I wouldn't call it "random" at all but yet another beautiful expression of love through music.

I agree

I know it is weird, but this is possibly the first time that I don't found an 'I love you' sample cheesy.

For some strange reason it seems to fit perfectly with the psy madness (proof why Psyknovsky is genius IMO)

Boring and tiresome and paranoid.

The first Psykovsky album was a classic, this is nothing near it.

Yep. It feels like he rushed through the tracks, added some unnecessary breaks and gave it a climax. Everything seems forced and lacks ideas. Dull at best.

• 2 weeks later...

Like this one a lot though it took a number of listens to crack the code. It's genuinely and deeply psychedelic which more and more is all I look for regardless of (sub)genre. Rewards repeated and careful listening.

BTW if you like this, I recommend Enichkin - A Particle of Infinity.

• 4 weeks later...

for an album almost fully composed of breaks & bass-bombardements it's astonishing how it maintains such an easy-going & almost gentle flow. a very playful yet mature album imo.

yes! exactly! I mean this shit is fucking nuts... like the most chaotic music I have ever heard without being aaron funk! but then again its trance.. so I can easily put in the car stereo cruise to work and just trance the fuck out.... I completely think this is more mature than the last... maybe debut sounds better overall.. like groundbreaking....... but to me the same fucking genius took a few years of practice and lots of new ideas and made a tempo twisting, loop busting, trip starting album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fucking plus! There is darkpsy.. and then there is russian 1930's mental hospital evil torture experimental psy! SSSSSIIIIIIIIIIICK!

like the most chaotic music I have ever heard without being aaron funk!

haha i like this quote :posford:

like venetian snares, psykovsky is one of the only artists who can make this fucked up uptempo music without being random or flat..

this is maths in form of music, people who don't understand this don't understand psytrance in his pure form and should go back to regular trance

haha i like this quote :posford:

like venetian snares, psykovsky is one of the only artists who can make this fucked up uptempo music without being random or flat..

this is maths in form of music, people who don't understand this don't understand psytrance in his pure form and should go back to regular trance

First of all. Some tunes on this CD are really good. Especially "Bekhudi".

Others don't do it for me.

I think you did a pretty arrogant statement here.

Music isn't about understanding. Music is about taste and experiences you connect to some kind of music.

Music isn't about understanding. Music is about taste and experiences you connect to some kind of music.

It's true that music is taste and experience, but experience can change your taste and give you a good understanding of a genre you otherwise "didn't get", therefor you are both right and wrong :)

indeed not all tracks are excellent

music is both about taste and understanding..

some music you first have to understand to acquire a taste for it..

that doesn't mean that music that is easy to understand is bad

Seeing as how I randomly ran into this thread and got the damn thing a while ago - now probably lost in some dusty corner of my room- I will just just add this was really disappointing. 'Works' like this mark my personal disinterest in 'psychedelic' music. To my ears, this seems like the spot where it all finally switched from a seemingly dislocated faction of complexity, awe and randomness to simply the latter. Let's be honest, and this coming from someone who owns and has heard more than fair share of fucked psy trance... this rather close random garbage, with little technical or musical skill of any kind. Comparing this to derango in arrangement, musicality or the ability to create a setting is futile. But hey, my breakfast does not include a hearty slice of crystal meth, so... it all seemed a bit pointless. Good show if you enjoyed it though, that's what taste is there for.