Psytrance goes mainstream!

Yard Hippie

Yesterday, on the way home from work, I went to do a bit of home shopping in ASDA (The UK's WALMART) and noticed to my surprise that amongst all the ministry of sound and Ibiza comps was a Psytrance 3 disk set. I picked it up, looked on the back and found it contained vibrasphere, ace ventura, astral projection, infected mushroom etc. Just found it now on amazon . Is this an indication that psy is moving a little more mainstream? If it did, would it be a good thing? I personally hate the way it's titled "psy trance" (in small letters) "EUPHORIA" (in huge earth shattering letters) since that just reminds me of every other VA in these stores, but to be honest, about the fact it exists there at all... I'm just not quite sure what to think :unsure:

Yesterday, on the way home from work, I went to do a bit of home shopping in ASDA (The UK's WALMART) and noticed to my surprise that amongst all the ministry of sound and Ibiza comps was a Psytrance 3 disk set. I picked it up, looked on the back and found it contained vibrasphere, ace ventura, astral projection, infected mushroom etc. Just found it now on amazon . Is this an indication that psy is moving a little more mainstream? If it did, would it be a good thing? I personally hate the way it's titled "psy trance" (in small letters) "EUPHORIA" (in huge earth shattering letters) since that just reminds me of every other VA in these stores, but to be honest, about the fact it exists there at all... I'm just not quite sure what to think :unsure:

well keep in mind that goatrance ALWAYS was present in commercial stores (how do you think people could buy it before the Internet days? lol). You even had some artists making 3 minute-edits of their tracks and passing on daytime radio, some even had videos and passed on MTV!!:

Astral Projection - People Can Fly

Hallucinogen - LSD

that said, it wasn't such a bad idea cause it allowed many people who didn't have a clue on what the goatrance scene was (or even if such a thing existed) to get to know some great artists. I'm sure most people in the 90s knew the genre after seeing/ hearing one or the other such track on commercial stations (but they'll never admit it out loud lol)

I think it has happened before :P There has been releases with psy-trance on some the labels like ministry of sound before (as I see this one is)... (Of course I can't remeber any examples, which kind of ruins my argument).

Well this is just "some DJ"/label trying to be underground by serving this to people u usually listen regular trance (or what ever)... that's how I see it anyways...

Goa & Psy has always been in commercial shops like HMV but not in super markets like ASDA.

Euphoria just made a psy version of their ever expanding series, ASDA sees John '00' Flemming and stock it just as it's a famous name.

Wait until Principleds Of Flight are performing on Top Of The Pops then we'll see ;)

Back in the mid/late 90s there were stores in Copenhagen where half their stuff was goa and all the commercial stores had their section.

Too bad I didn't bought more of the good and now rare albums. I remember standing in the one of those shops with I.F.O. (and countless others) in my hand thinking "I wonder if this is a good album" and then put it back...

Back in the mid/late 90s there were stores in Copenhagen where half their stuff was goa and all the commercial stores had their section.

Too bad I didn't bought more of the good and now rare albums. I remember standing in the one of those shops with I.F.O. (and countless others) in my hand thinking "I wonder if this is a good album" and then put it back...

Well... I remember that too <_< (and I'm from Aalborg) not sure I saw I.F.O but there were many that would be considered rare I just chose not to buy, I could always do it another time if they were worth it :angry: well I had less money back then too of course :pissed:

well keep in mind that goatrance ALWAYS was present in commercial stores (how do you think people could buy it before the Internet days? lol). You even had some artists making 3 minute-edits of their tracks and passing on daytime radio, some even had videos and passed on MTV!!:

Hallucinogen - LSD

that said, it wasn't such a bad idea cause it allowed many people who didn't have a clue on what the goatrance scene was (or even if such a thing existed) to get to know some great artists. I'm sure most people in the 90s knew the genre after seeing/ hearing one or the other such track on commercial stations.

+1

Well... I remember that too <_< (and I'm from Aalborg) not sure I saw I.F.O but there were many that would be considered rare I just chose not to buy, I could always do it another time if they were worth it :angry: well I had less money back then too of course :pissed:

Me too. I was damn poor back then so I could only buy a few cds a year and hope I'd get some for birthday and christmas.

lol .. I actually did get Family of Light and Destination Goa 3 for Christmas one year, which shocked me.

and yeah, I think I would probably stumble a little if I saw a psy compilation in the local whatever mart lol.

Hallucinogen - LSD

that said, it wasn't such a bad idea cause it allowed many people who didn't have a clue on what the goatrance scene was (or even if such a thing existed) to get to know some great artists. I'm sure most people in the 90s knew the genre after seeing/ hearing one or the other such track on commercial stations (but they'll never admit it out loud lol)

This is all very nice, but the lsd video said it wasn't released to the public until whatever date (I'm guessing twisted dvd) and I doubt anything but teleport would've made mtv or whatever, maybe land of freedom as well.

Hmv does indeed sell some psy here in Australia too.

This is all very nice, but the lsd video said it wasn't released to the public until whatever date (I'm guessing twisted dvd) and I doubt anything but teleport would've made mtv or whatever, maybe land of freedom as well.

Hmv does indeed sell some psy here in Australia too.

I recall seeing an Astral Projection video and a Green Nuns video on MTV very late at night in the US back in the early/mid 90's.

I guess that psytrance punctures through into ordinary reality every now and again then flits off into the distance. I can imagine seeing a video or so late night when whoever is screening them gets a little bored and feels mischievous, and it's true that I bought BP Empire in a HMV once from their very limited 'electronic music' stand, but it seemed a rare day to see it on sale in the local supermarket. I still like Drosophillia's idea that this is the Ministry of Sound's way of looking underground, even if it is a bit contrived. As for what it was like in the 90s... well back then I guess I was listening to the Brian Adam's cds all of my own free will so wouldn't have a clue :unsure:

Thank God for psy saving my soul

The concept is not new ... Trancemaster had a "goa" compilation already in 1992...

But no matter what they try, I guess psytrance will always be a niche market. This music is just not mentally accessible enough for most average house and trance listeners...

And we should even be thankful that they are attempting to try making it more popular, because our labels can always need more sales :)

The concept is not new ... Trancemaster had a "goa" compilation already in 1992...

sweet, possible link to the release ? :unsure:

And we should even be thankful that they are attempting to try making it more popular, because our labels can always need more sales :)

+10

Link Plz! :)

For the PSY-Trance compilation in question, I've also seen it in the commercial record stores in Norway ( http://www.platekompaniet.no/cdproduct.asp?id=EUP022CD ), as Lemmi said this is a way to expose ,,underground" (haha) trance music to the clubbers of Ministry. What we got to remember is that since the death of Euro-trance (Even Tiesto is making/playing more umm Sun controlled progressive trance music. The new trance of today is full-on psytrance (New Isra-trance). The clubbing scene is mostly driven by the House movement (Where a Magazine like MixMag has a strong position in telling the people what is and what is not). Many years ago Flemming OO tried to expose psytrance to the clubbers.. It had a small effect, but no revolution!

Either way, pietrance in commercial stores isn't a NEW phenomenon, on the contrary, before, like mentioned by others, you could get amazing releases in the Elecronica shelf of your closest commercial music store. I remember when I first found pietrance, I saw in my store music from Etnica, Astral, Infected, Juno Reactor, Destination Goa, Hallucinogen, Goa-Head and many others.. Today, you'll find NON!! Only one you will find is the compilation in question. You will have to be lucky to find a gem like you could years ago.

sweet, possible link to the release ? :unsure:

Link Plz! :)

try discogs: search: trancemaster goa

:P

well I did it for u, here are the links Trancemaster 2 - The Goa Gap, and here again in 96 Trancemaster 12 - Return To Goa, but I see no goa-acts in any of these two compilations... so I guess they just used the name as YSE does it today!

try discogs: search: trancemaster goa

:P

well I did it for u, here are the links Trancemaster 2 - The Goa Gap, and here again in 96 Trancemaster 12 - Return To Goa, but I see no goa-acts in any of these two compilations... so I guess they just used the name as YSE does it today!

Look at CD2 of the second comp you mentioned.

2-01 Transwave - Cycles Of Life (7:18)

2-02 Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Atomic Armadillo (5:58)

B)