Psytrance goes mainstream!

Yard Hippie

Back in the mid/late 90s there were stores in Copenhagen where half their stuff was goa and all the commercial stores had their section.

Too bad I didn't bought more of the good and now rare albums. I remember standing in the one of those shops with I.F.O. (and countless others) in my hand thinking "I wonder if this is a good album" and then put it back...

kind of the same story here in Belgium as well, back in the mid=nineties you could find compilations like Traveling, Distance to goa but also artist albums Hallucinogen "Twisted", Space Tribe "Sonic mandala", Juno Reactor "Trancemissions", etc.... in local record stores.....today nothing except really really crappy colmpilations with the f**** misleading title of "the very best of goa-trance" which if that was my first encounter with goa or psy, it would scare me.....utter crap....not even worthy of the predicament "music", imo.....

it's really a shame though....because now for me, as well as for most belgians the only way to get some quality goa/psy is internet.... ... ...but if I can manage....others can too....

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinda mindblown that this passed under my radar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(song)

So Infected Mushroom did write a song with Lady Gaga already back in 2013. That must surely be the closest Psy-Trance has ever been to mainstream music? :D 

"The song's real name was revealed as "Aura", originating from a demo by the Israeli psychedelic musical duo Infected Mushroom.[5][6] In an interview with the Israeli weekly newspaper B'Sheva, the duo detailed the song's conception. Gaga had reportedly visited Zedd's studio while he was working on music with Infected Mushroom. She liked the first demo she heard, which was for "Aura". Zedd later called the duo, saying that Gaga wanted the song for Artpop. They deliberated for some time, torn between maintaining their artistic integrity by not collaborating with mainstream artists and the possibility of a "lifelong pension" from the track's royalties. Infected Mushroom decided to give it to Gaga, but wanted to be credited under an alias. The singer was opposed, and wanted the group's real name in the credits."

I guess perhaps their pensions got saved. ;)

Song is kinda messy and annoying. Wish it didn't have all the machete samples in it. 

If I were IM I woulda jumped on the Gaga train without thinking. Lady is a bad ass. Maybe the last good pop star we have seen. 

1 hour ago, Tsotsi said:

Song is kinda messy and annoying. Wish it didn't have all the machete samples in it. 

If I were IM I woulda jumped on the Gaga train without thinking. Lady is a bad ass. Maybe the last good pop star we have seen. 

Indeed I agree, IM have made way cooler songs that they could perhaps have given her. The arrangement was extremely messy. And yeah she is legend and very talented for sure. :)

I certainly feel like they have made a few other songs which felt more like classical pop songs in the structure. But perhaps Lady Gaga wanted exactly the opposite of that, something with a definitive underground feeling. Which they of course have countless other better examples of as well. :)

And I actually suspect this could be the true reason as to why they initially wanted to not be credited with their real names. Because the track is a total mess lol.

I don’t buy for a moment that they didn’t want to be credited due to her beeing ”too mainstream”. They had been doing mainstream collabs for quite a while before her, mostly with Israeli artists but still. It could be as well that since the track according to wikipedia was an early sketch, they simply didn’t have the time to give it the well known IM-polish, which probably would’ve taken atleast a month. Pop music can be quite rushed sometimes, with session musicians/engineers etc. Since it was finished/recorded a bit differently to how I think IM do their own tracks:

”Aura" distributes songwriting and production credit among Gaga, Zedd and Infected Mushroom. The song was recorded at Record Plant Studios in Hollywood by Dave Russell, with assistance from Benjamin Rice. Zedd mixed the track at Zeddl, and Ryan Shanahan and Jesse Taub assisted the process. Rick Pearl did additional programming and Gene Grimaldi the audio mastering at Oasis Mastering Studios in Burbank, California.[11] According to Zedd, "Aura" was the most interesting track on Artpop because its combination of oriental music, guitars and an electronic beat enabled it to "cross over" musical genres.[12]”

This follows more of a standard hit pop track process, which is way more of a big team effort than a typical Psy Trance tune.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 11:09 AM, AstralSphinx said:

According to Zedd, "Aura" was the most interesting track on Artpop because its combination of oriental music, guitars and an electronic beat enabled it to "cross over" musical genres.[12]”

"interesting" Lol, Hollywood get a taste of music made by 2 people instead of 12 and can't believe the result. 

On 6/5/2021 at 11:09 AM, AstralSphinx said:

I don’t buy for a moment that they didn’t want to be credited due to her beeing ”too mainstream”.

I actually assumed it was so bad because of the youtube music video constantly promoting Machete, but nope audio only is the same. 

Yea here I think is the nail on the head. IM are too good at making music that sounds nice, clean and structured. I doubt they would want that track to be the introduction to the mainstream crowd. You wanna do it like Juno Reactor did with Matrix, like a guy that pulls off a leather jacket and indoor glasses walking through the door at a party with an entourage of admirers and 24 pack of beer to pass around. Not like some drunk pale guy smashing through the front door and stumbling around slurring nonsense at people before vomiting in grandmas ashes.

I actually assumed it was so bad because of the youtube music video constantly promoting Machete, but nope audio only is the same. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:07 AM, aut said:

:blush:

jap I told you all :D ... too bad they didn't win :P

On 6/5/2021 at 2:10 AM, Tsotsi said:

That Aura song is horrible :wacko: ... I think all artists involved can do better...

imo Mothership Loudspeakerz did a LOT better job by remixing K/DA - Villain:

maybe he should remix Aura :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Yeah it’s weird, because on paper Infected + Gaga could’ve been a good match. They should’ve invited her to their studio and done a track from scratch. :) 

• 5 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 7:13 AM, Tsotsi said:

The more i think about Aura the more i think that the only way to make it better is to remove it from planet earth :P

Took a listen and if you scratch everything except Gagas main lead vocal it might be listenable :lol:

• Haha 1