4.Sky Trees

5.The Stones are not too busy

6.Dust

7.Das Bungalow

8.Feelings (album edit)

9.Patterns

10.The Road to Nothingness

11.Breeze

We've left home, seen the event horizon, floated gently around in space and now when having tried our wings it's time to start enjoying the ride in a more playful way.

Solar Fields brings us his fith studio album. From having explored the more upbeat side of psychedelic electronica he's back to yet again to give us a blissful ride through downtempo.

The album has a strictly resemblance in layout with leaving home. It starts off rather slow, gently wrapping you in, then taking you at about half the play time to a more upbeat and playful state just to enter a more serious region and to come out just as greatly as Leaving Home, but not in the same way. It's hard not to compare both albums, where Leaving Home felt as a more profound and ”hard to grasp” storytelling, Movements is much lighter and happy in mood. The ending was an deep journey throwing you out in space, and leaving you there to you're own fate, Movements ending already figure you in space and is just gently sweeping you to a soft landing. I mean, what's the point of leaving home if you already left it?

The typical Solar Fields sound is easy to recognize, and this time it's even more crisp and refined than ever before. This album is surely something that will appeal to the more casual music listener, whereas Leaving Home was more complex and hard digested. Movements is almost like a nice vacation, relaxing and refreshing, building up yo're energy for the trials to come in you're everyday life.

It's evident in the opening track ”Sol” how talented and safe Magnus has become, the production is so crisp and clear, perfect use of melodies and sounds that tickles you're mind. You just get the feeling that you want more and more and more. This is indeed a highly melodic album, it's in fact one of the most melodic albums I've ever got myself listening to in this genre.

It is a great feat that the tracks are so cleverly intertwined, you are never left in a nullspace so to say, there is always some tone still grabbing you and transcending you into the next one.

You are taken through a lovely journey, and the track that feels most ”happy” is to me ”Bungalo”, this is also the track that points out the transition to a more serious place with ”Feelings”

The track ”Road to nothingness” kinda resembles the track ”leaving home”, you are pushed forward up and up further and further to that ultimate place, but instead of being left there you are now catched by ”Breeze” to softly carry you down to a blissful place. This is a beautiful piece of music, really. It's a shame that it only lasts for about six minutes. This could have been the ending track., but Magnus clearly decided not to give up on us this that early, instead after reaching that place of nothingness full with wonders you are gently taken down.

It's hard to describe how perfect this album is. Nothing feels out of place. Everything fits perfectly into itself, nothing is left to coincidence. A true masterpiece that I am so happy to be able to experience during my lifetime. ”Times are good” so to speak :) .

The album spans for 80 minutes, but after having listened several times it never feels longer than 20. This really marks how great this album is, sweeping you in, grabbing you're attention and not letting go til it's over. That's the only downside, it's so good, as when it's over you are just acing for more. This album might feel a bit lightheaded at first, but I'm sure new things will get uncovered throughout more listens.

All in all, Magnus has done it again, this guy doesn't seem to be able to produce anything less than magnificent. If you like anything by Solar Fields you will love this album. I never give grades to albums but I can say that this is an essential album ALL genres. If you are into music and don't get a hold of this album, you don't know what music is all about. Also, this is one, if not THE best album of 2009, period.

Buy the album and listen to samples at.

http://www.ultimae.com/en/news/314.html

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is by far the most technically complex album by Solar Fields to date. It's the perfect mixture between his other ambient albums; I think he touches every one of them. Still he's heavily exploring an even more modern sound. It's his best album to date, and I can only hope 2009 brings us something even more exciting and awe-inspiring, although I doubt it with every bone in my body.

This album demands active listening. This is truly a masterpiece. I feel really, really excited about this album. I feel really excited about Solar Fields and the direction and progression he has displayed even since Reflective Frequencies. I can't wait to hear this live. I can't wait to listen to this throughout the summer of 2009.

About the album:

It has the same feeling (kind'a) as leaving home, can hear alot of the same sounds... But it is, as it was said before, more complex... It's a hypnotizing peace of art that drags you in and quickly kills your sense of time!

It's hard to descripe such beautiful music with words... It's a must have for anyone that's into ambient/downtempo... I would back Melancholyman up here and call Movements a masterpiece! All the tracks are awesome, and there's not a second on the album that I would want him to make different. It's an exiting journey into a place that you haven't visited before

SOLAR FIELDS - MOVEMENTS

ULTIMAE RECORDS

Posted Image

Track list:

1. Sol

2. Circles of Motion

3. Discovering stream

4. Sky Trees

5. The Stones are not too busy

6. Dust

7. Das Bungalow

8. Feelings (album edit)

9. Patterns

10. The Road to Nothingness

11. Breeze

Wow! It is about time we get something powerful and quite possibly bar raising in the ambient, downtempo genre(s). Solar Fields up'd the ante and quite a bit with Movements. What unfolds is an album that will likely be talked about for quite some time to come.

1. Sol is a slow and powerful, dreamlike-fantasy opening. The big opening sound around 0.29 is amazing, like a warm wave of euphoric energy splashing my consciousness. It's interesting to see Solar Fields implementing tasty psychedelic influence through sounds of crisp and crunchy wind/zip textures. The song is like a gorgeous adventure through light and space, as if legendary warriors have recently died and are crossing over into a Heaven gate. The song is very atmospheric, and in that sense visual; many listeners will likely form their own story. Whatever the vision or concept, the song has a western sort of influence beginning around halfway through. It never sounds cheesy. The overall song is dreamy and floating, ethereal. Trying to even classify or limit it to any specific environment would be taking away from the songs beauty as a whole. This is a superb opening and track. I am rarely this impressed. A

2. Circles of Motion is strong and mainly beat free ambient super number with few exceptions, the last third roughly beginning at 6:19 until near close. Not only are the layers high in count but flowing, elegant, and surreal. The sounds sooth the mind, nerves. The song begins with a beautiful dream of sound and gradually forms rhythms within supporting sounds, resulting in a swimming, hypnotic effect. As the song representing the dream fades away, the listener slowly awakens to consciousness, or rather another layer of the sub conscious mind. What's wonderful here is that the previous number set the bar pretty high. Often times when an opening number is as strong as Sol, I am disappointed with the following track. However Solar Field's have produced a completely distinct and wonderful follow up filled with heart. The final third is very important; it develops the ever-changing character, progressing the song out of any sense of repetition. There is also an epilogue that concludes this portion of life with peace. This is another beautiful track. A-

3. Discovering stream is an oceanic ambient wave moving through celestial space galaxies for the first three minutes. Soon accompanied by a mesmerizing beat and sound fusion. Guitar and/or violin and various other ethnic instrumentals arrive, increasing the atmospheric world of harmony, rhythm, and depth. A catchy and floating interlude arrives in the middle, the first of two. The song has one to two direction shifts that instigate a fluid evolution. The first is during the beat's welcome followed by the final third, the latter where the listener's senses are nearly overly loaded with a bursting, mesmerizing melody/sound fusion of transcending rhythm and joy. The overall song however, prior to these selected areas develops continuously. How it progresses is excellent. The interlude from 7:54 to 8:12 establish an mysterious sense of floating before a transcending leap to the stars around 8:58. There is an amazing build up from around 8:35 to 8:57. What takes place after this is hands down, one of the most wonderful parts in music that I have ever heard in my life. From 8:58 to 10:00 is a moment of magic so kinesthetic and uplifting, one must truly experience this evocative evolution for him or herself. The superb ending to this otherwise excellent number is like a gorgeous dragon transformed into a beautiful, spiritual and/or more aware, enlightened version of itself. This is a wonderful track with a stunning finish. A

4. Sky Trees has potential to be an album seller I imagine. I didn't perceive where it was going in its first two minutes. The song hums to unknown territory as a crisp droplet effect begins around 1:40. It isn't until the two minute mark that I begin hearing a wonderful tune surrounded in harmonious rhythm. This appears like it could be a influenced by a U2 song (See the people... *lyrics*) but without lyrics of course. Overall the number is filled with warmth and positivity throughout. I just can't help feeling that if another song/act didn't exist, neither would this potentially to some degree. Nonetheless, if I knew it was a clover and/or remix it would most certainly get a lower score. All theories aside, it's excellent. A-

5. The Stones are not too busy begins with a slow and gentle beat followed by an optimistic tune which develops into a world so to speak. Story-wise, I can't tell if a life has ended or some adventure has just begun. The music is stirring to the thinking mind however spiritual and pleasant; I feel determined and encouraged to accomplish something big. Yet at the same time I could enjoy this song sitting still, counting my breaths, just being. The beat picks up to a flute and the supportive layers around these elements elevate the song into greatness as a wonderful beat and tempo change shift the track into an even greater, delectable gear. This is an excellent approach in mixing, sound engineering. The song becomes more gripping as it progresses without climaxing or resorting to uptempo. The I.Q. raises, the mind becomes more intellectual and aware here as opposed to a track that bombards the senses with big special effects and sensation over substance. Yet the vehicle develops strong. I's carefully orchestrated; echoed effects are present around a far more involved and thoughtful creation. Areas where the beat picks up are worth noting, as well as a female, psychedelic sound that could be a subtle Goa and/or influenced tune. It's excellent, and arrests my attention. The sound grows wings, taking the journey even further in its final third with wonderful results. This is a track that gradually evolving to the point of nearly consistently topping itself from beginning to end! Wonderful work! A

6. Dust is a return to strong ambient, at least until around 2:05 where a slow ticking sound and beat emerges. The song is slow, oozing with emotion as it progresses into its second third. Past 3:30 however, the beat is removed where the song was more emotionally stirring. Ambient tones emerge and dissolve into a weightless, albeit mobile backdrop. The song's intriguing, however a bit dry in its final act and I'm not a big fan of the industrial, up-and-down wind sound that appears quite relevant here for some reason. This is a sound I'd imagine hearing more in a slow and melancholy, rare Nine Inch Nails ambient track like Warm Place rather than what I adore from Solar Fields. Nonetheless, the song is solid, though I find it the least arresting number here so far, past the middle third at least. The first two parts have a sad and hopeless and/or contemplative atmosphere that presents still life rather well, however sad in this approach. The song realistically adds emotional variety to the album by giving it a ray of sadness to an often bursting world of exploration, dreams come true and more. I would have enjoyed it more if the tone in its middle section lasted longer, as that's the best part and the conclusion here's a bit dry. Otherwise, this is an interesting, good, possibly great track. B+

7. Das Bungalow is another ambient influenced downtempo track. The beat and various other background elements are completely unique from previous tracks. The number takes off with an excellent downtempo, evolution at around 2:40. A short interlude is followed by a change up in beat, rhythm. It's great; the accentuating drum work crossing over into the 4th minute is strong. Solar Fields once again establishing a thickly warm and flowing rhythm; a melody lead comes into view from around 4:36 to 5:25. This part is wonderful, powerful and floating. The last 1:20 are pretty much an atmospheric interlude. It seems that the group cared to end each song not abrupt, but with a peaceful resolve. Such ideas are great for home, personal listening. It follows one building albeit one direction building path. I would sooner compare this to Solar Field's also beautiful Confusion Illusion Remix from Opus Iridium's downtempo side: CD2. This is another strong track, and arguably the most uplifting one here. A-

8. Feelings (album edit) is a contemplative and growing, emotive ambient influenced downtempo number. It's quite sad, though hopeful, musically floating and arresting. This is one of the more euphoric songs on the album. It flows one however strong direction, telling a story that could be of redemption, love, peace, understanding, and forgiveness. It's beautiful and quite moving, inspirational sounding from start to finish. This deserves to be as part of a score in a great film. It has a huge heart filled with warm loving energy, an appreciation for life and the beyond. A

9. Patterns is the shortest track here, at just under five minutes. It follows up the previous score nicely, adding a beat at around 2:40. This track could have easily been an evolution, continuation from the previous number, tweaked and separated to give the album an additional, solid number. Or not. It actually sounds quite different from the previous track and this would likely destroy the romantic sound prior due to its more aggressive to then soft approach. Patterns reminds me of Dust in the sense it comes down for landing just as soon as it gets going. I would have really liked if this song developed its initial two thirds more, once the beat got going, as opposed to shifting to ambient so soon, and ending soon after. Nonetheless, it's an interesting, catchy number. It just feels a bit squeezed, packed into this nearly 80 minute album; it's as if the artist didn't have enough room to lengthen it, thus it remained a summarized version of greatness, that could have been marvelous. A-

10. The Road to Nothingness is a wonderful return to epic and lush, ambient influenced downtempo trance. The speed is calm, filled with a gentle melody and beat. The sound drifts reflecting angel's wind and fantasy gates, a reflection of the atmospheric approach and soundscapes explored as more of the song opens up like a body filled with a life to explore. The track could provide an eerie backdrop, score to a serious Tim Burton film. Moreover, the number is relaxing; it has a really nice sound. The atmosphere and ambient pull my consciousness deep into this moving world of ghosts, traces of fading memories. Excellent track. A

11. Breeze sounds exactly that, a breeze, with an opening, streaming porthole of life pouring through it. A subtle tune drifts in the background until stepping into the light at around 2:18, a moment of beauty. Another positive sound brews beneath the surface as if the sun is is about to shine through the cloudy sky. At around 4:26 the speed picks up; the beat takes off, slowly. The sound becomes more present, satisfying. Soon after, at around 5:16 an even stronger musical element arrives, furthering the beauty, lifting the essential ingredients to even fresher, more weightless heights. Never does the song stray off path or into uncertain territory. It develops, acquiring a soft, female sound that compliments the the colorful island of sound. The aura softens from around 7:05 until it's close at 8:32, landing elegantly an unforgettable journey. This is a beautiful closing track. A

In conclusion, Movements is the passion project that many fans of the ambient and downtempo/CHILL genre have been waiting for. I have so many downtempo albums; so many I like. Yet so few I consider excellent, not just good or great but really up there as superb. The first two Shpongle albums more or less and very few others. Add Movements to that short list. The tracks here are wonderful to listen to at nighttime, and/or undistracted accept for maybe inner thoughts, complimented by the music. I was never enamored by previous Solar Field albums to this degree. I came close to purchasing Leaving Home and 2007's Earthshine in the past. Leaving Home I found too lacking in downtempo while Earthshine seemed light on the ambient influence in order to compensate its cool, mainly uptempo approach. Movements fuses both ambient and downtempo together in a way that has finally captivated my senses, and it will surely impress the majority of downtempo listeners out there. There are ambient tracks, real ambient songs here without beats, though such ambient is often connected to wonderful downtempo tracks that they evolve into. My only complaint resides in Dust and Patterns, two songs that appear to end a little too soon after they showcase their most present feelings; yet they compliment the creative ambient closing's that Solar Fields has prepared for each track. Patterns appears just short of its full potential, though both Dust and Patterns are well done, like solid bonus tracks sprinkled amongst a masterpiece. All in all, Movements would have won best 2008 downtempo album, bar none, if it released then. 2009 may be young. Movements sets the bar high. It's as if Solar Fields had an epiphany, an aware realization and/or vision, and decided to go all out. Movements is ambitious, provocative, ethereal, and absorbing from start to finish. It is one of the best albums I have ever heard -- in any genre. Thank you Solar Fields for choosing heart and substance over ego/money (selling out) and for going all out, taking chances. Anything (and occurrence) is possible after all. The result is an album that many will finally consider a real masterpiece.

Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

A

Samples / Order here:

Saikosounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7737

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/inr/inr1cd035.html

It's also available on Amazon MP3 for less. But this is worth the whole package in zero-compressed quality.

Guess this will be another masterpiece. :ph34r:

Only played it 6 times now, but it still grows on me... So a more indepth review will follow later on.

Already love it very much.

From the more psychedelic discovering to the more emotional drama of the road to nothingness.

It's warm, a little lighter in my opinion then leaving home. Leaving home gives my a deeper melancholic feeling when I listen to it in the evening. This album is warm more light, more Melodic?!

Excellent !!!! Been a long time that I could say something like that about a full album, I think this will top my last years winner Hol Bauman maybe not :) !

Bloooooowwwwwn Away.

Hope to read Abasio's comments soon :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Im just starting to listen.. and this is epic stuff, movie soundtrack material for sure :) the sound quality is out of this world. I will return to write some more about it when i have listened through it all.

I'm no Solar Fields fan but it could have been good if he got rid of the hideous "The stones are not too busy" track and put in one faster more drummy track. Oh well, can't get everything :P

Allow me to disagree... this track is one of my favorites...don't know why though... :ph34r:

It's warm, a little lighter in my opinion then leaving home. Leaving home gives my a deeper melancholic feeling when I listen to it in the evening. This album is warm more light, more Melodic?!

I agree!It's clearly more easy to listen than leaving home. I like to think it more as a follow up to [Extended] than [Leaving Home]. Imagine you listen to [Extended] at 04:00 am, you sleep a couple of hours, and [Movements] is what comes next along with the sunrise.. :drama:

Im just starting to listen.. and this is epic stuff, movie soundtrack material for sure :) the sound quality is out of this world. I will return to write some more about it when i have listened through it all.

Out of this world my man...that's right... 4 words enough to describe this album..

Thanks Magnus...you did it once again..!

:clapping:

I got this yesterday and so far it's fantastic. I can see why people are already claiming it's spot in the annual best of list :)

I love getting packages from Ultimae. They always have that distinct smell because of the incence and the postcards with the notes they write on them and whathaveyou. It just feels like it makes the purchase more meaningful somehow. Gotta say that magnus' learing face hidden behind the booklet creeps me out a little in this one though :rolleyes:

This album is awesome! I actually don't remember the last time I enjoyed a downtempo/Chill album so much. :)

There is nothing new that i can add that already hasnt been said but still i vill go and say this again That THIS is THE most brilliant album That has ever come out 'Period' .Love evry track every track just blends into each other & Solar fields with his use of Classical instruments, cutting edge technology & Atmospheres he creates..... JUst No words

100\10 :) If possible.

Posted Image

Artist: Solar Fields

Title: Movements

Label; Ultimae

Released: 19 January 2009

Style: Downtempo Electronica

Tracklist

1. Sol

2. Circles of Motion

3. Discovering stream

4. Sky Trees

5. The Stones are not too busy

6. Dust

7. Das Bungalow

8. Feelings (album edit)

9. Patterns

10. The Road to Nothingness

11. Breeze

Solar Fields is Magnus Birgersson, the Swedish based electronic music master. In my opinion he is the best artist of the 21st century so far and his sound just keeps getting better. From his debut album Reflective Frequencies up until his double release Leaving Home & Extended his sound has progressed and just gotten better. His voyage into up tempo trance music with Earthshine was for me one of the best upbeat releases so far this century too. Having heard a few Solar Fields tracks on compilations in 2008, Jeezlh on Future Memories and Feelings on Ease Division 3, I was anticipating this album very much. As with all Solar Fields’ albums I did not fall in love with it instantly but had to let it sink in. I have listened to this at home in the living room, lying on the bed with the lights out, on headphones on the train, in the forest and by the sea. After experiencing this album in all of these states I have, like all the others, grown to adore it. The album is packed with subtle sounds that take their time before they show themselves to the listener so it is of course a grower.

The mood of the album is changeable, it goes from earthy to spacey and back again. It is at times warm and often becomes cold and melancholic but returns to a warmer and more optimistic ending. Solar Fields is a great technician though & he manages to blend all of these different moods into one cohesive journey.

This album is definitely an evolution of Solar Fields’ sound. A lot of the tracks are more upbeat for longer than in his previous downtempo albums. Whereas in Blue Moon Station & Leaving Home the tracks often loosely followed the pattern of 50% ambient then 20% of beats then back to ambient for the last 30% in this album there is more beats throughout most of the track. The variety of beat styles as well has increased evident from the start with Sol that has beats reminiscent of some Carbon Based Lifeforms tracks.

The only thing I don’t like in this album is the flute in The Stones Are Not Too Busy which although sounded pretty good when I first heard it has gotten progressively more irritating until I really cannot stand it. I should also note that this is the first time every that a Solar Fields track has sounded worse in time rather than growing.

The rest of the album is absolutely brilliant though, Discovering has this brilliant shift of momentum just before the end that just lifts my heart every time I hear it. The Road To Nothingness has a wonderfully dark atmosphere and is stunningly visual. All tracks are image provoking painting a wonderful story in my mind. Every time I hear Sky Trees I can see the stars & even their sped up movements in my mind’s eye.

Great stuff throughout the whole album with for me just one flaw. It is a must for all fans of Solar Fields, Ultimae, Downbeat, Electronic music or even music. It will definitely be in the reckoning at the end of the year when I decide my favourites.

Track By Track Analysis

1.Sol

We start off strong with Sol, probably one of the best tracks on the whole album. The bassline makes the skin tingle and is one of those that just begs to be played loud on a big system. I played it at a live show & could feel the bass reverberating throughout my entire body as I played it. The beats are the best I have heard from Solar Fields so far with a great tripping feeling akin to Carbon Based Lifeform’s Photosynthesis. The sounds throughout vary from soft plops to sharp acid synths but all create a very trippy feeling like your head has been cut into thin slices and released into the ether of the cosmos. This is a great start the track has it all, the beats, the bass, the atmosphere, the melodies towards the end and the psychedelica all create something to get excited about. I’ll be surprised if I don’t include this in my best tracks of 2009 come the end of the year.

2. Circles Of Motions

We go smoothly into the next track with a high pitched spacey sound that always in my minds eyes looks like the sun just edging round the side of a planet seen from a far orbit. The sudden light that flashes before you can grow accustomed to the new influx and the slow fade as your eyes adjust. The following few minutes are very minimal ambient once again making me feel like I’m floating in space and something starts to build with one simple sound repeating over and over but as the frequency length shortens so does the expectation, another sudden flash of the sun and we are underway, propelled through the stars by the slow beats and soft scratchy synths. The melody is similar in my head to Insum from Leaving Home with that light spacey feeling. There is a total shift of feeling at the end as the bassline comes in harder & there are a lot more wet squelchy synth sounds used feeling like the walls of reality are melting, if only slightly.

3. Discovering

The sounds at the start of this track put me in mind of a thousand souls screaming out beyond the walls that separate me from the other realms but with a force of emotion so strong that they can seep through and penetrate my mind. The funky melody that accompanies them is a sharp acidic sound and the beats ground me into a more real reality. The melody that shortly follows the beat is simple in an eastern style and is underlaid by these bright melodic blips of sound like fireflies flittering about on a warm summer’s evening. The beats are very strong and along with the melody give this track a very Earthy feeling but the atmosphere created by the synth drones and the little psychedelic sounds push it more into spacey realms. Overall I get the feeling of lying on my back, in a field on a hot muggy evening while nearby revellers party the night away.

The melody in the final part of the track is out of this world, the way it just takes the feeling of the track and hurls it into a totally new direction. From lying on my back in the field I am suddenly hurtling through space at super light speeds but only very briefly then I am stuck in a kind of limbo. I love it when tracks, like this, just have a sudden but fitting shift near the end. Exquisite!

4. Sky Trees

Sky Trees is a little colder and feels like standing by the shore. The sound of sea birds can be heard overhead and the synth drones feels like a chill wind blowing over me as I stand there looking out over the sea. In the distance I can see the mountains and above the mountains in the night sky I can see a garland of stars. As the beat in this track picks up I can imagine those sped up images where the stars change so dramatically in the night sky. When the beat goes, I can feel myself trying to catch my breath at the same time as preparing myself for another barrage of movement and sound. Solar Fields, a master of arrangement as usual manages to put me off guard first stripping more sounds and going softer as if the track is about to end and then kicking the beat back in. It gets me every time in a great way. I would love to hear this track in summer in some remote place with no light pollution so I really can see the stars in the sky in all their beauty.

5. The Stones Are Not Too Busy

This for me I think, like the opening track Sol was the most instantly accessible but unlike Sol after many repeated listens the appeal of this track has faded. This is the first time a Solar Fields’ track has gone backwards in my appreciation. Usually I first hear his stuff and it sounds alright but nothing special but then I can spend some quality time alone with it and I learn to appreciate all it’s intricacies and it ends up wrapped around my heart. This one though has just come to bug me. I think it’s the flute. The track starts very nicely with a warm Eastern feel and some light melodies, the atmosphere is pleasant and for the duration of the track the beats, bass and psychedelic background noises are sublime but every time the flute comes in I cringe. I wish I had the ability to remove just that single sound from the track and leave the rest which is, I must say very good. The subtle melody that lies under everything else twists and turns, shifts in and out and changes it’s tones time and again is great as are the big atmospheric sounds that add a very grandiose feeling but the flutes come in and spoil it for me and even before they come in I am dreading them coming in.

6. Dust

Well, after the flutes we have a more minimal track with nothing but the sound of the wind and the creepy darkness that it carries from far away. A slow plodding beat like an unenergetic pounding gives me a feeling like I am watching an army of hundreds of thousands marching. The huge dust cloud they create covers everything so that you can not see them, all you can see is the dust swirling around and around driven by the wind. It is what lies behind the dust that is so intriguing as it is quite a dark sound I am inclined to imagine an army of darkness. Forlorn creatures bent on death and destruction. Lovely! It is the perfect reply to the flutes.

7. Das Bungalow

Das Bungalow starts off soft, like it is following on from the dust but with more of a high pitched melodic sound that gathers more melodies to it to become a full intertwined beam off light. When the beat emerges the dust is kicked away to reveal a sunny but deserted scene. I still feel like I am standing on the top of a precipice looking down into a valley but it is now much lighter with the simple melody & strong beats giving a feeling I find a little industrial but not enough to make it a dark smoggy image but just like looking at site that will become a huge industrial park in the future. Now it is clear of humanity’s taint but the knowledge that it will soon become covered in steel & concrete gives it an almost sad look.

8. Feelings

The brighter melody in this track does nothing to lift the feeling of melancholy. The melody might have a more cheerful tone but the atmosphere is still one of nostalgic regret. The beats are slow & they perfectly match the melodic synths, they both push down and as a result the music seems more reflective. I get the feeling when I listen to this carefully of being in a downward spiral, slowly spinning down and down like suddenly being to heavy for a tornado that has picked me up and my weight fights against the energy that is driving up & up so I still go down and down. There are a lot of sounds behind the beat and melodies adding to my tornado feel as they seem to be all around me but I cannot centre on them. A very nice track previously released on Ease Division 3 but well placed in this album and definitely part of the journey.

9. Patterns

The template of this track is a very changeable thing. The music is very progressive & moves forward as it shifts from side to side, up & down and inter-dimensionally. At first I thought that there was just no plan and it was all a little bit too random but then I saw the order in the chaos. Nothing is truly random and there is a reason for every movement, the fact that my little brain cannot comprehend the motives for the arrangement only serves to put me more in awe of the stencilled sounds bombarding my senses.

10. The Road To Nothingness

The minimal intro gives way to a dark atmospheric track with slow foreboding beats and a melody that seems to push at the edges of my paranoia. I feel from the melody here that there is something just out of reach of my 5 senses but picked up none the less in my sense of unease. As with the title, I can picture a road, a road through the forest wide enough for cars but with huge trees on either side. When I look into the forest my eyes cannot penetrate further than few feet passed the first trees. Up in the sky the full moon struggles to shine through the patchy clouds, the wind is cold and biting and the whole feeling is very creepy. Parts of the melody in the second half of the track really remind me of a horror movie but of course a horror movie with a really cool sound track, leading into a nihilistic nightmare..

11. Breeze

We end with breeze which seems to pick the mood up from the last few tracks’ melancholy to an optimistic tone. The melody feels like it could be in a summery dub album but somehow Magnus has managed to make it fit with a scratchy synth swirling eddies of dark light & a morose beat. The bird song is the only thing aiding the melody with its vision of a warm summer’s day. When the beat moves up a gear the melody is almost drowned out but then its older more aggressive brother comes to help. A very strong melody that could be played at a beach party if there was more of a dubby sound. What really makes this track for me though is the soft melody that plays just under the aggressive line, it’s small and repetitive but as such gives you that lovely little something special like it has been made just for you and while other people can hear the rest you can enjoy the little treats hidden away just for you.

Art

Movements comes with a 16 page booklet with a photograph for each track as well as the front cover. The front cover is a minimal light swirl that I find very provocative in its simplicity. As for inside the booklet, the best photographs have to be the one for Sol showing the sun beaming down through a break in the clouds over a field with 2 stand out trees in the left hand side, the close up of the pebbles representing The Stones Are Not Too Busy and the obscured tree showing Dusts. The Sky Trees is a scene I have seen a hundred times, staring up at the sky through the trees. The close up shots of circles cages & plants also help round off an amazing piece of art. Visually & aurally this is on stunning work. Thank you Magnus, thank you Ultimae!

Good review abasio, its not easy to put words to feelings one gets from listening to good music, but you have managed to capture it well.

Lately I've had #4 Sky Trees as my favourite.. This is such a great album.

But, what's happening here?

the track that feels most "happy" is to me "Bungalo", this is also..

3. Discovering stream is an oceanic ambient wave

and The Road to nothingless are

:blink:

:lol: