How do you keep up with it all?

Lemmiwinks

Every year I try to listen to as much music as I can (mostly psytrance) but I always get the feeling that I only get to listen to a tiny fraction of everything that's out there. And I have the priviledge of being able to listen to music while at work, I know many peole can't do that.

I just came across a batch of trance albums from the early to mid 90s and realized that I didn't even know half of them and I see myself as an oldschooler!! So I was wondering, how do you people manage to keep up with everything? I mean, you could obviously take the course of fast-forwaring through stuff until you find something you like, but that would be leaving aside more complex stuff that takes a while to grow on you (and which are in the end the most rewarding tracks IMO). So, what are your secrets?

Every year I try to listen to as much music as I can (mostly psytrance) but I always get the feeling that I only get to listen to a tiny fraction of everything that's out there. And I have the priviledge of being able to listen to music while at work, I know many peole can't do that.

I just came across a batch of trance albums from the early to mid 90s and realized that I didn't even know half of them and I see myself as an oldschooler!! So I was wondering, how do you people manage to keep up with everything? I mean, you could obviously take the course of fast-forwaring through stuff until you find something you like, but that would be leaving aside more complex stuff that takes a while to grow on you (and which are in the end the most rewarding tracks IMO). So, what are your secrets?

Obviously you can't. Especially today with so many releases. I buy around 6 cds per month and almost every week two more cds that I like get released. Even if you download stuff is impossible to keep up.

Obviously you can't.

+1

What I do is look at the new releases on Saiko Sounds and listen to the samples of those whose covers look promising (I find that the covers actually give a surprisingly good indicator of whether the samples are worth listening to - boring, cheesy or trendy covers almost invariably cover boring, cheesy or trendy music), and if I like what I hear I'll listen to the samples repeatedly over a period of a few weeks before deciding whether I want to buy it. This method is not infallible; often I decide I'm not going to buy something and then a few months or even years later I decide for no reason to listen to the samples again and find it's grown on me, so I guess there are a lot of releases which I would love if I'd given them more of a chance. But I just don't have time to give everything the time it deserves, nobody does.

Obviously you can't. Especially today with so many releases. I buy around 6 cds per month and almost every week two more cds that I like get released. Even if you download stuff is impossible to keep up.

true,

but then again sometimes it amazes me a bit when I don't follow how fast I get an overview of what I missed and where things are heading too,

off course internet is your biggest friend in that matter

although that could be a false perspective the mind creates,

I try and buy as much as I can !

but the time of revelations is gone of course, when I started listening to goa, or in other music styles,

again then again ;) we are all humans of comfort and revelation is a emotion,

I'm wondering how big the difference would be taking into account discovering for example pleiadians when I was 17 compared to now (26)

Yeah, you just have to resign yourself to the fact that you will always be missing 90% of the stuff you might really like. I bet for most people the album they would love most in the whole world, they will never get to listen to. So we must make do with what we can :drama:

Yeah, you just have to resign yourself to the fact that you will always be missing 90% of the stuff you might really like. I bet for most people the album they would love most in the whole world, they will never get to listen to. So we must make do with what we can :drama:

so sad and yet true...

I get you guys to do it, whatever comes up on Psynews, and then Discogs reviews, plus recommendations on Soulseek from other users. I still stuck in pre-2000 though, so much and so little time.

I just follow names I know I like

besides of that I listen to all samples on saikosounds to see if a certain cd is my style and last but not least:

i look for recommendations on this random psytrance forum called pienews :ph34r:

:)

i look for recommendations on this random psytrance forum called pienews :ph34r:

Same here. A lot of the really good releases seem to get reviewed here. I usually check out the samples available on psyshop/saiko too.

I know I'm probably missing out on some stuff, but between psynews and samples I find a good amount of killargh psy (as much as I have time to listen to anyway)

I can't really follow up on too much music. I mean, if I had a payload of money to spend on music, then perhaps I could keep up with a bit of it. But like Abasio said, most of the time you won't be able to find what you're looking for.

Without the world wide web (yes, I'll use the correct term for it), most of us would have no chance to find goa or psy or close relatives. I sure as hell wouldn't even know what goa/psy is/was if I didn't have access to the internet/www. So it's only natural for me (and everyone else as well maybe) to download free stuff that sounds good or listen to samples or whatever. I pay for what I can, for sure. But I would need a whole lot more money if I were to even get a tenth of the music that I like that's out there.

I mean, if you went back like around 7-10 years ago and asked me what music I liked, I probably would have said only rock or maybe techno. hehe... Oh how things have changed since then...

I just follow names I know I like

I think we all kindof do that, even if unintentionally... but the problem is that this way we miss out on the fresh artists who have new things to offer. For example, I totally missed out on Braincell because I've never heard of him, when I finally gave it a go I found it was great!

I don't even try to keep up.

I've got my pool of preferred artists, with those few I keep up ... and from time to time I take a peek across the borders of my well-known music territory and maybe discover something new. That's my way of "keeping up".

And when some release is good, people talk about it anyway and when I hear of it, I check out samples or something ... just to know how it sounds. That way I somewhat keep up and know what's hot these days...

I don't care too much of keeping up though. Better to discover an old but good release than to discover a new but bad one :)

The best way to discover new artists is through the compilations.

This is how it works for me: I find a compilation with 2-3 artists that I really like. I buy the compilation. In 95% of the cases there will be at least one new (to me) artist that catches my attention. The next time I run upon a comp with a track by this artist I will check it out. If I really like him I buy his album (if he has one).

Actually before I discover internet I found about Goa through the compilations exclusively.

The best way to discover new artists is through the compilations.

+1 (that's how I discovered KDD, Talpa, Dark Nebula and Polyphonia for example). It's also a good idea to check out a label's back catalogue if you like something they've put out (that's how I discovered Braincell).

only the jobless illegal downloader with no friends can do it..

Haha +1!

I keep me updated via Psynews, i have started to see the picture from who i can trust the recommendations from.... I know for example that almost anything GaySatanichippy, Nemo and Abasio recommends will fall into my taste... Other than that i know all the names of the shitty fullon and pseudo proggy artists, so i can avoid them, that lower the amount of cd's to check out with about 90 % :P And that's the good thing about psynews, caus if you go to psy parties here in DK, people are talking about how awesome Neelix is, and how sweet growling machines is, it's fucking annoying that people have such shitty taste, and only want the commercialized music here in my country... I talked to the guy who aranges psyparties here in the capital, and he didn't even KNOW PENTA???? what the fuck man, Penta made 4 albums, and the person who was supposed to be the godfather of DK psyparties, only aranges GMS, Astrix, X-noize and shit like that.... Really sad :(

Also i download alot of cd's, check them out quickly.... Some i delete if they sound generic or uninteresting, and others i put in a "possible to-buy" list, so i can give them a little more time, like they deserve.... If they hit the spot, i'll buy them, otherwise i delete

Better to discover an old but good release than to discover a new but bad one :)

well that's exactly my point: isn't it frustrating to listen to something released many years ago and realize you love it? It feels like you've wasted your time IMO If you could keep up then you wouldn't have this problem :)

well that's exactly my point: isn't it frustrating to listen to something released many years ago and realize you love it? It feels like you've wasted your time IMO If you could keep up then you wouldn't have this problem :)

well, that's because you were gone too long :P Where were you last few years anyway? :P

I think every year has (even post 2000) at least 50 great cds, 10 of them I only find out years later

well, that's because you were gone too long :P Where were you last few years anyway? :P

I think every year has (even post 2000) at least 50 great cds, 10 of them I only find out years later

still around but I admit I was pretty fed up with psytrance for a few years and decided it was time to move on. But then the trance bug bit me again ;) Now I'm like "WTF, Pleiadians released a new album in 2006 and noone told me???" lol

nah, I never think like that ... already because I have phases and keep redefining my genre borders every now and then ... today I like stuff I'd have despised when it was released ... so no regrets, just good music :)

Like others, I don't keep up.

My way around the problem is to use Saikosounds.com. Firstly, due to the 4-min samples, which are great for getting a feel of the release; secondly, because they have a 'wishlist' - I put there everything that sounds and looks interesting (yes, I do jugde the CD by the cover), then come back to the list every few days and listen to the samples. If something stays on the list for 3+ months and I still have not bought it, chances are it's probably not that appealing and usualy I end up deleting it.