Let's define new school :-))

Sideffect...

well new school is goatrance but sounds different because

- the evolution of technology

- many new sub genres arose since the beginning of goatrance and have influenced the new wave of goatrance artist or new school artist as we refer them now

- add more if you like,

but we can't name them new school/new skool artist ???

what in 5 years,

so let's settle this once and for all :)

which term, we won't want to end up in 5 years referring to new skool when it's not new anymore :rolleyes:

and the first one that uses the word "neo" is banned :P

how would you call it ?

First of all newschool for me is not necessarily the modern Goa.

What I mean: New school means a NEW school, a new sound. When an artist uses old school elements in his music then his music is old school. It doesn't really matter when it has been produced.

Here is the perfect example: Filteria-Sky Input. Many ppl call it new school. I call it old school. It is old school. It has eveything you'd expect from a 1997 album. It doesn't step forward, it doesn't indroduce something new, so why is it new school?

I teel you why. Apparently some ppl believe that the term old school means old, out of date. So call a new album as old school it's kind of a bad thing.

I personally disagree. How couldn't disagree when Sky Input is one of my all time fav albums?

Also, just because a new album is old school that doesn't mean it hasn't any new ideas. Every good album has new ideas and the old school Goa sound has the potential for more and more experiments.

And BTW in my eyes its kind of flattering to be called old school today. ;)

So what is new school for me? New school is a NEW sound in Goa. It's an evolution. It's taking Goa and change it, but still being Goa. And I said evolution not progress. Evolution can be good, evolution can be bad. This is why a new school artist can sound much worse that an old school one.

The perfect example of New School Goa? Pleiadians-Family Of Light (both the track and the album).

With FOL Pleiadians took the old school sound of IFO and evolved it. They reach territories that no one in Goa scene reached before. Is FOL better than IFO? Who cares? New school doesn't mean better school. Nor worse school of course.

Another example of New school Goa is Yahel-Last Man In The Universe. Yes it's trancey, yes it's a bit clubby, but it's Goa and it's new!

But both FOL and Yahel are pretty old now, so calling them new school sounds dumb. So we end to the same problem that Sideffect put with this topic. How can we call it?

My suggestion? Let's call it Goa. Old school, new school who cares? The already subgenres of Goa (Dark, Acid, Floating, Nitzho etc.) still work great for me. :)

some different opinion and very interesting post Ormion btw,

I see where you are going,

lets take the example of family of light,

I consider that more goatrance going to psychedelic trance, in a more melodic way when it comes to the entire album,

some tracks are still goatrance, it is a difficult example but a good one...

same for the yahel example;

Filteria-sky input baseline is much more influenced through fullon or psytrance,

there is a difference, the suntrip release with aerosis, forgot the name for a moment you notice that the baselines are more produced

before 1999-2000 (you know what I mean ;) ),

then again the concept is different, California sunshine style comparing with filteria is not that convincing imo

so indeed, how do we call it ? considering the amount of new artist coming up...

this guy seems to know :lol::lol::lol:http://www.quasartrance.com/htmlsite/pages/about/neogoa.html

i know that is also some bullshitz

i dont have problem with the term "neo" ...and seems to be that also here was a discussion about...

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=54060

In my opinion there should be some describing new term for that new energy in the so called "psy" music .

For me this whole "new school" stuff since the last 2-3 years is tru "Goa-Trance" ..from nowadays

If this will be called "newschool" or "neo goa-trance" ... the time will tell.

If you look in the direction of "dubstep"

This new Genre/Style was defined by a magazine ... > rumours ... but its a very nice new thing from the uk and now worldwide !

Now u have dubstep forums , labels , artist etc.... so there is now a whole new scene > ... dubstep...

Here in berlin the most psy djs ... tell me that they "play psychedelic" but for me their sets are somehow also dark...

also people nowadays say they play "forrest" sound...

; ) so its always evolving ....

The only difference i can hear is the production quality.. Other than that, it's all the same to me, with the big acid lines/goa melodies clashing on top of eachother in one big chaos.... To me it is all just goa :) But i guess that's because i don't like it much

The only difference i can hear is the production quality.. Other than that, it's all the same to me, with the big acid lines/goa melodies clashing on top of eachother in one big chaos.... To me it is all just goa :) But i guess that's because i don't like it much

+1

Actually for me it is all goa... I know new school tracks that sound like pure old school and the other way around... So making a definition is not really possible except for this one:

melodic goa trance made in the new millenium...

But I would prefer the word goa instead of new school anytime

I never say "old school" or "new school", because it doesn't really make a difference IMO. When people make new goa music I just call it "goa", even if it has some new elements in it. I think the spirit of the music is what matters, not it's age/technology.

I think we get too hung up on genre labels too. A lot of music combines elements from different genres/subgenres, so it's impossible to pigeon-hole them into one specific genre. Genres are a helpful way of describing music to someone who hasn't heard it before, but I don't take them too seriously beyond that. Even then, I think detailed descriptions (like you see in psynews reviews) are much more helpful than just saying "full-on" or "goa" or "darkpsy"

P.S. On my iPod, I just have everything under "Trance", whether it's goa, full-on, darkpsy, suomi, etc

I beg to differ... actually I also used to call this goatrance a while ago but went on to calling it newschool because IMO it just sounded too different. I mean, listen to Lights in Motion or Jelly Beans comp... you can IMMEDIATLELY spot the tracks that were made a decade ago so this IMO is proof that the sound is different no matter how you see it. A LOT of elements define a certain artform in a certain time-space, you just cannot do the same in a different time-space no matter how much you try IMO, I mean just look at new efforts from people who were into oldschool from day 1 like Chi-AD and Har-El Prussky... IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!

Anyway, as far as defining carachteristics go, here are the main differences I've noticed:

- new technology (especially soft synths) give newschool tracks a more plasticky sound compared to oldschool. Don't know if this is because I know more about how this music is made today than I did back then but it just sounds different IMO. I mean, just try Green Nus of The Revolution - Ring of Fire and KOB - Pitch and Chips. Same formula, different instruments and VERY different end result IMO. The synths just don't "scream" the same way...

- newschool artists just take SOME of the defining carachterstics of oldschool and use ONLY those, sometimes it feels like a caricature of the old sound which used to be much more varied and subtle IMO (hello? where did the gating effects go? the keychanges? having MINIMUM 4 different melodies going on at the same time? etc...). That said, this is nothing exceptional, ALL revival movements of older artforms had this, think neo-gothic or greek revival in architecture. I don't think there's really any way around this except just using old elements to create something new (like renaissance style vs greek revival - one uses classical elements to make something new and the other just parodies something that has already been done).

As for how it should be named... I vote for "post-modern goatrance" :P

Say what now?

I haven't come across a "new school" act that sound half as good as the old school emperors. Heck! I haven't come across a new school act that doesn't suck. In my ears this new school has nothing to do with "the old days". It's not even close imo.

Ok, that was maybe a little too negative ;)

Say what now?

I haven't come across a "new school" act that sound half as good as the old school emperors. Heck! I haven't come across a new school act that doesn't suck. In my ears this new school has nothing to do with "the old days". It's not even close imo.

you should check out Astrancer then :) (especially the track Ashram)

- new technology (especially soft synths) give newschool tracks a more plasticky sound compared to oldschool. Don't know if this is because I know more about how this music is made today than I did back then but it just sounds different IMO. I mean, just try Green Nus of The Revolution - Ring of Fire and KOB - Pitch and Chips. Same formula, different instruments and VERY different end result IMO. The synths just don't "scream" the same way...

I am also behind the K.O.B. project and i can promise you thats NOT software synths. Its all hardware (and made in the same studio as the Filteria music).

...I think we all should be happy that the last couple of years there seems to be an uprise in artists that create music that we all came to know as goa(trance)....so why this need to label it differently???

goa=goa in my very humble opinion....oldschool, newschool.....at the end it is goa(trance), not?

why make it so complicated? I always thought that persons who like goa(trance) were openminded (of course openmindedness is not a goa(trance) thing alone!!!!!!!) ...then why this need to label it and put it into different pigeon holes...keep it simple and enjoy the music!!!

Pleiadians, Etnica, Filteria, Ra, Goasia, Astral Projection, .... = goa(trance).....

Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, Placebo, Muse, Sonic Youth, ... = rock.....

well, that's just my opinion of course....if you feel the need to label it differently then goahead....but don't force your need for extreme labeling onto the rest of us....thank you....

Say what now?

ok we all have different completion or signification something like that,

still

let's give the bloody child a name :D

goatrance is fine

neo-goatrance, aaaaah don't mind, it's a name,

shoot !

edit:

well, that's just my opinion of course....if you feel the need to label it differently then goahead....but don't force your need for extreme labeling onto the rest of us....thank you....

I just did :unsure:

were just talking ;)

I am also behind the K.O.B. project and i can promise you thats NOT software synths. Its all hardware (and made in the same studio as the Filteria music).

well why does it sound so plasticky and contained then? I mean, you can clearly hear the difference between your sound and GNOTR, right? And of course I'm only making suppositions but you WERE aiming for the GNOTR formula, right?

...I think we all should be happy that the last couple of years there seems to be an uprise in artists that create music that we all came to know as goa(trance)....so why this need to label it differently???

goa=goa in my very humble opinion....oldschool, newschool.....at the end it is goa(trance), not?

why make it so complicated? I always thought that persons who like goa(trance) were openminded (of course openmindedness is not a goa(trance) thing alone!!!!!!!) ...then why this need to label it and put it into different pigeon holes...keep it simple and enjoy the music!!!

Pleiadians, Etnica, Filteria, Ra, Goasia, Astral Projection, .... = goa(trance).....

Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, Placebo, Muse, Sonic Youth, ... = rock.....

+1

But no need for the negative commend in the end of your thread.... You don't HAVE to reply you know ;)

well why does it sound so plasticky and contained then? I mean, you can clearly hear the difference between your sound and GNOTR, right? And of course I'm only making suppositions but you WERE aiming for the GNOTR formula, right?

When you want the production to sound more "update" with the basslines and all the compression and stuff, i think that makes less room for the ´big melodies, maybe that's why??? Just a guess :P

I think new school is different because it has a different sound. It sounds very much like dimension5/ a few other artists from the late goa era though, maybe even pleiadians to an extent. It's kind've sad there isn't that much trippey/indian stuff about though.

I'm thinking the modern goa trance is partly going into more melodic directions to be honest, if you see how many euphoric, sometimes of the edge of Nitzhonot is being produced these days, it is more then "back in the days" :)

I'm thinking the modern goa trance is partly going into more melodic directions to be honest, if you see how many euphoric, sometimes of the edge of Nitzhonot is being produced these days, it is more then "back in the days" :)

Yeah, everything evolves at some point, so there isn't really a reason to give it a new name IMO.

Yeah, everything evolves at some point, so there isn't really a reason to give it a new name IMO.

+1

Altough Sideffect is simply asking if there is a point in using the name... And as it IS used, there must be a reason and people want it...

Now that I think of it, I prefer Goa trance of course, but if needed, I would simply call it pre-millenium and post millenium goa trance or so :D

@ the ones that hate new school and love old school, I'm always wondering where you see the big difference... I did the test in BE with someone saying the same, I played a set on a party with 30-40% new school stuff (mostly unreleased so he would not recognise it) and 60% old school, and he came to me:

"you see old school is the best" and I thought "yes... of course..." :P

Maybe it sounds plastic in you ears. All I wanted to say was that K.O.B. is as much hardware as Filteria. It doesn't sound plastic to me.

And ofcourse you will hear a difference between K.O.B. and GNOTR. I am not Green nuns, and no, I wasn't aiming for green nuns formula. And there is no 303's in Pitch and Chips, even if i have a 303 (i didn't think it would fit the track).

Anyway, your entitled to think whatever you want. I just wanted to give you all the facts.

true, but we are talking about a genre who already had it's mainstream years and after that disappeared it (has) created it's own features,

there was a whole period where goatrance was not produced anymore (or almost nothing),

now it rises again many years laterz, imo a lot when it comes to evolution/progress taking into account we are talking about a music style/genre. Nowdays it has become different on some levels, some artist more then other,

if filteria says it himself as a producer for me that's something to consider, and I agree with him considering the music he makes,

great track 'back on earth' btw, I prefer more subtle goatrance or ? ;)

Although Sideffect is simply asking if there is a point in using the name...

+1

And as it IS used, there must be a reason and people want it...

true, I'm not inventing, just noticing reading reviews that people always will refer too artist and genres, we are talking about music,

it's a main variable imo

Now that I think of it, I prefer Goa trance of course, but if needed, I would simply call it pre-millenium and post millenium goa trance or so :D

the name itself does not matter as long it fits in a time frame or period, only the word "old" can be used, which is not the case,

cause I'm listening to afgin - light up the darkness and damn :posford: , keeps doing it :D

the term neo-goatrance does not sound that bad anymore :lol:

it's short :)

so serious , was just wondering , but very interesting...

I personally catagories music as new school if I feel it is "modern" psytrance that uses heavy Goa influences, and keep all the goa revival stuff as goa, since the difference is so small (but I admit there often is a (small) difference).

So examples of acts that have made new school (imo) tracks:

Trold

Imaginary Sight

Yudhisthira

and for a more unique example the track:

Tutankhamon 9000 - Lost In Luxor