CompactStick - the successor of the CD

well, compared with 10 years ago sales are bad, and when you have an English distribution company who pays you in Pound (which is now worth 30% less then 1 year ago due the economic crisis) many more goa/psy/ambient labels will go bankrupt soon... Watch my words...

Arab-eeehsque?

*cough cough*

bad, bad.. :(

The alternative is online, but thats not good enough for snobby people that like to have something in their hands.

Naaah...

But actually it's true.

I have been conditioned like that! Downloads ought to be free, I never payed for a download ever in my life! Only physical media cost money ... non-physical media ought to be free! At least that's how my mind is conditioned. Paying for downloads ... feels cocky to me. Yeah, it does, I can't do anything against it! I'd feel like a cock shopping for digital downloads ... I'd freakin' get it off p2p ... and I don't care about lossless! Only buying CDs is buying music for me ... yeah, really, I kinda want to have something physical in my hands, something to touch, to see and feel where my money went! The rest is some unserious shit. Yeah, that's the right term! When I buy a release on CD, I feel like I take it serious, I invest money to have this in physical form and not only in cocky digital! And when I have a release only in digital form, with nothing to touch, nothing to grab, nothing to see, read, feel, even smell if I felt like it ... then it doesn't feel serious to me! Only unserious releases, stuff that I don't really care about, that's what I have in digital form only! I have some albums lying around here that I didn't even listen to ... because they're digital, I don't care about digital and I also don't care about these releases! And I'm sorry, that's how I'm conditioned and that's how I feel about it, I can't do anything against it and as long as there are physical media to buy and listen to -- and there are lots -- I'll buy them physically! That's how it is. You can call me cocky, but it won't change this, I just don't feel comfortable with paying for digital downloads...

Actually I think another reason for me for not buying online is the fact I like to listen to cds carefully in the evening... This means:

- When I listen a cd, I'm not behind my pc, I have a book in front of me, and I sit and read :) I prefer to do this in my sleeping room... And guess what, no pc in there :)

And even my "living room" has a different music-corner and pc-corner... When I stand in my music corner no pc is in the neighbourhood...

- Also if you listen to a cd via pc, and you are behind the pc, you are always busy with other stuff as well, which lowers your concentration and makes you listen less. (the attraction of pienews, internet, mail,...)

Actually I think another reason for me for not buying online is the fact I like to listen to cds carefully in the evening... This means:

- When I listen a cd, I'm not behind my pc, I have a book in front of me, and I sit and read :) I prefer to do this in my sleeping room... And guess what, no pc in there :)

And even my "living room" has a different music-corner and pc-corner... When I stand in my music corner no pc is in the neighbourhood...

- Also if you listen to a cd via pc, and you are behind the pc, you are always busy with other stuff as well, which lowers your concentration and makes you listen less. (the attraction of pienews, internet, mail,...)

Bad example, you CAN listen via LAN, you do not need to sit infront of the PC to listen to the music playing on it. Devices like this:

http://www.sonos.com/howitworks/

Will soon be all over the place, and at a cheap price as well. I have tried the Sonos system, and it truly R O C K S.

You are, like I said before, close minded/conservative about the old format, cause you are used to it. That also does not make you look further into possibilities, once you have taken the step towards digital media, you will look around for alternatives, and once you start looking, things pop up that you could never have imagined before.

With SSD becoming a market standard very soon, the possibilities will be even bigger. :)

My father had the first EVER cd player in Germany when it came out (2 days later) and his friends were laughing at him when he said "This is going to be the new format of which we are buying music" They laughed cause it was expensive etc etc. A year later, all those laughing people were not laughing anymore, as they realized that more and more cds came on to the market, and the sound was REALLY good.

Physical Format FINE! I can understand that people want something in their hands, but I think that compactstick is the WRONG format to be honest :)

I could argue for days, but there's no point to it. CD's will die sooner or later, just like Cassettes did.

I think the next big thing is Cloud Music Libraries. And it has allready begun - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081...everything.html

The one big issue with legal music downloads is portability. You can download your music to your PC, but then you have to manually copy that music to as much devices you want to use the music with. For example, you might want to have that downloaded music on your PC, iPod, your car stereo, your PC at work etc.

Wouldn't it be more convenient if the only thing you needed to do was enter a username & password, and have access to the music you bought for any device you are using? All you would need is a wireless internet connection (for your car, iPhone etc), and the music you want to listen to would be streamed directly to your player. With wireless networks on the rise, this is allready possible.

Apparenlty Nemo and the rest haven't lose their jobs because of the illegal downloading this is why all this digital adoration.

And yes illegal! Enough hidding plz.

90% of the digital files that are being downloaded today is illegal! I personally don't know ONE man that pays for digital files or is willing to pay.

This enviromental problem and the rest is pure crap. We want digital files because it's easier to download them for free.

Ask any person why is so glad that the industry is moving forward to the internet downloading system. Because of the enviroment? Because it's cheaper? No because it's free.

I agree that the prices of the cds are ridiculously high today, but that's a TOTAL different thing.

CD's are carrying digital files. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

If you didn't notice, less then 10 years ago there were pirates who would buy a CD album and rip it to their PC. Then they would burn the rips to hundreds or thousands of empty CD's and distribute them via postal service or meet with other people for hand to hand delivery for a sum of money. They could easily re-sell the albums for half the price. They actually made a profit out of someone else's work. There were even complete illegal organizations that made huge profits out of copying CDs and selling them for a lower price (Remember the news on TV channels every once in a while when they would bust huge CD-copying factories?)

Bottom line is, piracy was allways there. It didn't just came out of nowhere in the form of mp3 music. So stop blaming internet piracy for ruining the music industry. If people want to support their artists, they will buy the albums or go to their lives or contribute in one way or another when they can.

CD's are carrying digital files. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

If you didn't notice, less then 10 years ago there were pirates who would buy a CD album and rip it to their PC. Then they would burn the rips to hundreds or thousands of empty CD's and distribute them via postal service or meet with other people for hand to hand delivery for a sum of money. They could easily re-sell the albums for half the price. They actually made a profit out of someone else's work. There were even complete illegal organizations that made huge profits out of copying CDs and selling them for a lower price (Remember the news on TV channels every once in a while when they would bust huge CD-copying factories?)

Bottom line is, piracy was allways there. It didn't just came out of nowhere in the form of mp3 music. So stop blaming internet piracy for ruining the music industry. If people want to support their artists, they will buy the albums or go to their lives or contribute in one way or another when they can.

And how many times do I have to say that ppl will NOT pay for something, when this something can have it for free?

Piracy was always there, but today it's not even piracy. It's something way bigger. The ppl who DON'T download illegally is the minority. Gee am I living in a different planet?

The first thing a person will do when he installs his new modem is to find a good place to download illegal files. How can you compare this to the old days?

All you have to do today is to press a button. Just a click away. This has nothing to do with ripping cds and give them hand by hand.

And sorry man but I couldn't but laugh at the If people want to support their artists, they will buy the albums or go to their lives or contribute in one way or another when they can. If you're talking about underground scenes I might accept that, but if you're talking about the whole music industry then wtf?

No one supports the artists they like! They like the album? They simply download it! For free! They like the movie? They download it for! For free!

Ppl pay for cds cause they feel they pay for something. Yes they give 15 euros for a plastic case and a piece of a paper and yes it's stupid. But a legal digital file and an illegal digital file is the same thing. You even acquire it in the same way. You click it. Why pay for it? Support? Yeah right!

And because we have to end this let's step forward and say honestly how many cds/legal digital files and how many illegal digital files we download the last month? I'm not here to judge but let's be honest.

I bought 7 cds, downloaded 4 free releases and download 2 illegal albums. At least I have the balls to admit that.

Come on who's next?

Now, people buy more and more digital downloads, and if that was not a fact, sites like beatport would stop to exist. Prices on digital are stupid as well, but I foresee that that will change in a very near future. (just check Apple/iTunes).

Let me say this once again, and let it be the last time: The people that illegally download, and NEVER EVER buy anything, would not buy it, even if it was not available as a illegal download. You CAN NOT lose a customer that never would be able to afford it, or the ones that would not have become one in the first place.

Yes there are still assholes out there that would be able to buy, but just dont, but they are not the majority of the people that download illegally. And the ones that download illegally cause they can not afford to buy, I have NOTHING against, bless them for wanting to listen to the good stuff that everyone else can listen to.

And no, I am not going to measure cocks with you right now, I do not see where that has any part of this discussion. If you stop the mp3s (the legal ones) you will not have less ILLEGAL mp3s, cant you see that?! Pirates will always exist, no matter what format you have. I bought around 40 vinyls in Hungary when I was 14, which where ILLEGAL re-presses. That is TWENTY years ago! :lol:

Yes there are still assholes out there that would be able to buy, but just dont, but they are not the majority of the people that download illegally.

At least in my country they are the majority, believe me.

Anyway enough off topic from me, hugs to all!

I'm tired of this sausage fest.

Be a money addict if you like that, It's your choice. I'll try to live free. End of my participation in this thread.

So I was right from the beginning huh? :D;)

And all this talk... damn we wasted so many pages for something I was saying from the start of this topic.

I prefer having something in my hands (talking about CDs there >.>), but i've been buying digital files as well - generally when it was way cheaper to buy those rather than buying an overpriced old album (IFO and the likes).

If i can find a CD version at a decent price though, i'll probably get that as i find it much more satisfying and enjoyable to have a real item (CD case, pretty artworks, some notes more or less interesting, the CD itself, and ultimately.. the feeling to "own" it) than a digital file.

Even if i buy it as files i just end up burning it on a CD anyway, just for the sake of being able to play it in the car or at any kind of Hifi system my friends have.

Concerning those sticks.. i think i would rather buy digital files, at least until/if they get to totally replace CDs.

Music in itself is the same, both digital files as it has been mentioned. But i just like the idea of ordering it/buying it off the shop, getting excited when opening it for the first time (like kids at xmas, love being a kid!) and then having it standing nicely in your collection.

Useless? Totally. But so good! And i'm really not convinced with the "save the environement, don't buy CDs" argument, especially in a tiny subculture such as ours. If i'm wrong though, i'll be happy to know more about it.

Another point that has been mentioned as well, is the price of digital music.

I can't remember exactly how much it was, but i was browsing on beatport and juno downloads the other day, just to find a few of my favourites tracks that i didn't have the luck to have on CDs. You know, those tracks that are only available on an album where there is only 1 or 2 tracks that you like, or on an extremly expensive album.

Well i was looking for some of those tracks in a lossless version, found some, added them to my cart, checked out, bou... canceled when i realized each track was costing nearly 3€.

If i wanted a decent price on those sites, i would have to buy the whole album (not solving the "i only like 1 track on the album" issue), or buy it in a lesser quality (mp3), which is clearly not interesting for me.

I think it would be much more attracting if labels were proposing digital files themselves (for a decent price) than having websites adding 1€ to every single track if you want them in a lossless format (i.e: phonokol is selling a lot of nice tracks for 1$ or less, and that in .wav quality).

Oh and to conclude, about the ppl downloading illegaly and not ever buying, well no longer than a few months ago i was one of them. The thing is, when the music you listen to is kind of mainstream, the albums often sell by millions and you don't feel like stealing anything.. since anyway, you wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That's what i was telling myself and so do my friends that have more "mainstream tastes". They could totally afford any album they would like to buy, but they just listen to the last pop/rnb hit like once a month or when it is on the tv/radio - it's not something they care about at all, their life would be the same if they couldn't download anything. Heck they might not even download more than 1 track a month, they would just go on youtube if they wanted to listen to music.

As for me, i started buying CDs when i upgraded my gear and started to care about sound quality. Then i realized it had - in this tiny scene - an importance whether i support the artists or not, so i'm now buying music i like not only for my own pleasure, but also to support the artists that are giving me shivers.

Peace!

Yep, this is true for me aswell ... my HiFi is in the other room.

And nemo, DON'T come with the music over LAN solution now, please! This is cocky as I'd need to buy the HiFi device AND a decent Access Point since I don't want a LAN cable through the flat and my access point is cheap and fucky and cancels connections every now and then (or restarts) and I would get a hysterical seizure if I'd have a single glitch in the sound! Money AND nerves is just too much to invest for me.

Physical Format FINE! I can understand that people want something in their hands, but I think that compactstick is the WRONG format to be honest :)

But what could that physical format be according to you, somebody who has professionally to do with such things? That's what interests me!

What are the requirements for the format?

Or does the solution already exist in the form of these "cloud music libraries"? I don't think so. Because in that case I could start DoS attacks all around me if I wanted to ... mainly to keep a certain annoying neighbour from playing his happy hardcore shit in the evenings and going on my nerves.

Hey, actually that's a good idea! Cloud music libraries, I'm waiting for you -- and for peace in my flat ^_^

Let me say this once again, and let it be the last time: The people that illegally download, and NEVER EVER buy anything, would not buy it, even if it was not available as a illegal download. You CAN NOT lose a customer that never would be able to afford it, or the ones that would not have become one in the first place.

That was actually well put.

I'll never (NEVER) buy digital files, I want physical!

I'll only buy digital if there were exclusive digital releases that are not available the illegal way! Wait, that's already the case! And I'm STILL not buying! HA!

The thing is, when the music you listen to is kind of mainstream, the albums often sell by millions and you don't feel like stealing anything.. since anyway, you wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Agree 100,000%

The commercial artists, they make so big heaps of money I actually find it wrong to get it legally (like, "that money I throw into the throat of the big giant music industry would be better spent if I donated it to Medecins Sans Frontiers") and that it is my DUTY to get the stuff illegally if I wanted it (and that "if I wanted it" is the big remark here, because I don't want 99% of their crap output ... already get hysterical and in vomitory mood when I have to listen to this utterly horrible crap when going into a shopping mall).

Or I just listen on youtube. Which I do most of the time.

Anyway, guys...

What PHYSICAL format would you say is better than CompactStick, except CD?

But what could that physical format be according to you, somebody who has professionally to do with such things? That's what interests me!

What are the requirements for the format?

Or does the solution already exist in the form of these "cloud music libraries"? I don't think so. Because in that case I could start DoS attacks all around me if I wanted to ... mainly to keep a certain annoying neighbour from playing his happy hardcore shit in the evenings and going on my nerves.

Hey, actually that's a good idea! Cloud music libraries, I'm waiting for you -- and for peace in my flat ^_^

Dont get me wrong the right way here, I dont think that any physical format is needed at all. I can understand the "need" of it for some people, cause they just can not think another way. Its like I said before, for some it is hard to think in new ways, cause they have not followed the technology, and I feel sorry for those people. Why sorry? Cause I am 100% sure that things will change in a way that those people (like you) will have a hard time to adapt, once its done. :)

Look, what would you think would happen if the sales of cds goes down in the MAINSTREAM music industry? And if they would press less and less cds cause they find another format (CompactStick or whatever)? Yes, you guessed it, pressing cds will cost more, and that would mean prices would become ridiculously high. That will then FORCE labels to pick up on the new formats out there, cause nobody would want to pay 50 euros for a CD, when you can get a sucky stick for 20. And our subculture (any electronika) will not be able to change, if SONY and the other big sharks change the market. :)

The sollution? Well for me it is digital downloads, as I will not support some shitty stick.

Is the another format I could think of that would be physical? Nope, sorry, the shitty stick is probably the best replacement there is. Sadly enough. And this is of course because we are going towards SSD.

Anyways, enjoy it as long as it lasts! :D

Take it to PM if you have something personal to say.

You sound offended :unsure:

Relax, everyone with his opinions,

hugs!

Guys relax, we are having a discussion over here. I think that you, Ormion, need to understand one thing, and that is that not everyone can afford to buy music! And Male, you have to understand that people like Ormion that can afford to buy music, hates people that pirate.

At the end of the day though, people that can not afford music are no harm to the industry, cause they do not pirate cause they do not want to contribute, they just can NOT. If everyone in the world would be able to pay the crazy prices we do for music, Piracy would not exist. I mean, have you never thought why people steal food? :D The brain needs music, just like the body needs food, and if you can not buy it cause you are a poor person, you steal it, or do anything else to get it! I know I would, if that was the case. Im just HALF a pirate, cause I buy everything that I commercially use, OR what I like, the rest I download, cause I want to have it in CASE OF. And if there was an album that I hated to start with, but then came to the conclusion that I liked it cause Listened to it over and over again, I buy it as well.

There are pirates and there are pirates, and most of them are good ones. Then there are the p2p kiddies, and they just spread cause they want some status in the scene, nothing else. But without those, some of the kiddies out there that love the music but can not afford it, would not have the music. EVIL CIRCLE, but a not too harmful evil circle, I M O! :)

Just for the record, I don't hate pirates!

I too download illegal files (music, movies, programs etc.), but I'm trying to see both sides. The 'I download cause cds are way too expensive' which I respect (and agree about the price) and the 'My cd store has closed because of piracy and now I'm unemployed' which I respect too.

That's it I'm out of here I swear! Peace to all! :D

Just for the record, I don't hate pirates!

I too download illegal files (music, movies, programs etc.), but I'm trying to see both sides. The 'I download cause cds are way too expensive' which I respect (and agree about the price) and the 'My cd store has closed because of piracy and now I'm unemployed' which I respect too.

That's it I'm out of here I swear! Peace to all! :D

So you made an example of yourself as well, but... hang on a moment, you do not make sense anymore my beloved Ormion! :)

So you made an example of yourself as well, but... hang on a moment, you do not make sense anymore my beloved Ormion! :)

I'm just saying that there are many excuses for someone to download illegal files, just to prove that he's most than a pirate. In Isratrance there's a topic called 'What's your excuse for downloading illegal files?' Only one said the truth: I do it because it's free and I don't wanna pay. All the others were trying to find excuses why cds are bad, why we must say no to the big labels, let's move to the digital files, enviroment :P etc.

My bottom line (and this is not going to you, malevolent or anyone else here) is that ppl will always download illegal files even if they CAN afford it, and some of them will try to find 100 excuses to convince us/me that there's nothing wrong about that. Well there is! Do you disagree with that?

I download ilegal files (although I have to say that I download albums that they are not released anymore) and I KNOW that what I'm doing is wrong.

And BTW believe me I'm anything but a rich guy.

If someone has no food he will steal. Good for him, but bad for the one who stole. Kisses! :)

I'm just saying that there are many excuses for someone to download illegal files, just to prove that he's most than a pirate. In Isratrance there's a topic called 'What's your excuse for downloading illegal files?' Only one said the truth: I do it because it's free and I don't wanna pay. All the others were trying to find excuses why cds are bad, why we must say no to the big labels, let's move to the digital files, enviroment :P etc.

My bottom line (and this is not going to you, malevolent or anyone else here) is that ppl will always download illegal files even if they CAN afford it, and some of them will try to find 100 excuses to convince us/me that there's nothing wrong about that. Well there is! Do you disagree with that?

I download ilegal files (although I have to say that I download albums that they are not released anymore) and I KNOW that what I'm doing is wrong.

And BTW believe me I'm anything but a rich guy.

If someone has no food he will steal. Good for him, but bad for the one who stole. Kisses! :)

You make no point or sense at all.

Dont get me wrong the right way here, I dont think that any physical format is needed at all. I can understand the "need" of it for some people, cause they just can not think another way. Its like I said before, for some it is hard to think in new ways, cause they have not followed the technology, and I feel sorry for those people. Why sorry? Cause I am 100% sure that things will change in a way that those people (like you) will have a hard time to adapt, once its done. :)

Look, what would you think would happen if the sales of cds goes down in the MAINSTREAM music industry? And if they would press less and less cds cause they find another format (CompactStick or whatever)? Yes, you guessed it, pressing cds will cost more, and that would mean prices would become ridiculously high. That will then FORCE labels to pick up on the new formats out there, cause nobody would want to pay 50 euros for a CD, when you can get a sucky stick for 20. And our subculture (any electronika) will not be able to change, if SONY and the other big sharks change the market. :)

The sollution? Well for me it is digital downloads, as I will not support some shitty stick.

Is the another format I could think of that would be physical? Nope, sorry, the shitty stick is probably the best replacement there is. Sadly enough. And this is of course because we are going towards SSD.

Anyways, enjoy it as long as it lasts! :D

Okay, I see. So a shitty stick might be what people like me get in the end...

But the transition won't be that easy. Until the mainstream changes there'll still be some time. Because we are talking about mainstream here, hundreds and thousands of people ... they sure won't switch from CD to ShittyStick from one day to the other! That's going to be a long process ... and at the moment the industry is fiddling around with SlotMusic crap and ShitSticks, both formats not easily acceptable for CD lovers!

There's still plenty of time. And CDs will be playable most likely forever ... BluRay can still play CDs ... and it must be like that because there were millions and billions of these things sold, they can't just ditch the players, lots of people would be angry...

I have an idea though: I'll just switch back to vinyl if the CD was done! Because vinyl customer base is actually growing these days again :)

You make no point or sense at all.

Okay to speak in your language? :P

Do you download illegal files? Then have the balls to admit that it's a steal! Everything else is just excuses.

The moment you download a file without the authoring of the owner is a steal. I have downloaded illegal files, I'm a stealer, I'm a pirate.

Why spend so many pages for excuses when it comes to one final point. I download because is free! Not because I can't afford it, not because I care for the enviroment, not because cd are old news. It's damn free!!! and illegal but who cares?

Do I make sense now? :D

And btw download 100 albums and then bying the 10 you like is the same with watching 10 movies in a cinema and pay for the one you enjoyed.