CompactStick - the successor of the CD

Then start selling your stuff online. ;) And come ON, distributor, have you not learned ANYTHING about the music industry?! :lol:

Selling online is in the making :)

About the use of Distribution... It depends on how much of a life you have next to a label I guess... :D We really can't deal with even more work... The day Suntrip stops is probably because we are too busy to run it , instead of a financial crisis to be honest (in other words, let's hope we don't have children soon)

The argument of "nature" is bull shit imo when it comes to cd... UNLESS you warm your house with wood, you have NO car and you eat only non-manipulared food and no flesh :D

Selling online is in the making :)

About the use of Distribution... It depends on how much of a life you have next to a label I guess... :D We really can't deal with even more work... The day Suntrip stops is probably because we are too busy to run it , instead of a financial crisis to be honest (in other words, let's hope we don't have children soon)

The argument of "nature" is bull shit imo when it comes to cd... UNLESS you warm your house with wood, you have NO car and you eat only non-manipulared food and no flesh :D

Well, when I moved to Spain, I moved to a FLAT, and we made sure that the house is warmed WITHOUT oil. You can do loads of those things :P And you just have a bad concious, cause you know you are a polluter, AND a record label owner! ;)

The argument that you do not have time is bad as well, and I do not really have to get into details why do I?! :D Your argument is valid only for one thing, and that is that you LOVE cds, and that you wont change standards, cause its comfortable like that! Right?!

Well, when I moved to Spain, I moved to a FLAT, and we made sure that the house is warmed WITHOUT oil. You can do loads of those things :P And you just have a bad concious, cause you know you are a polluter, AND a record label owner! ;)

So, you have a car and eat meat etc...? The fact that you live a warm place has nothing to do with the fact that you pollute I think. (as even in Spain you will have to warm you house) And well, everyone in the west is a pollutor, but I do know I pollute much less then the "average" guy, I do all by bike, take the train allways, etc etc, but ok, that's just my choice of living. Some plastic boxes won't make the difference, when the boxes are broken I put them in the plastic recycle bin anyway (and the paper booklet at the paper recycle bin, so not SO much junk is left), just the cd itself.

The argument that you do not have time is bad as well, and I do not really have to get into details why do I?!

Well, enlighten me? Both I and Fabien had our moments that we said "now it is really becoming TOO much", we are doing both 2 jobs you know...

And what does THIS have to do with cds? If tomorrow cd stops to exist, I would release as .WAV or whatever, that has nothing to do with running a music label. I will keep running it, even when the cd is gone... if I have the time

on a personal note I LOVE cd, and that's my personal feeling, even if I am the last one on earth i would buy them if possible.

So, you have a car and eat meat etc...? The fact that you live a warm place has nothing to do with the fact that you pollute I think. (as even in Spain you will have to warm you house) And well, everyone in the west is a pollutor, but I do know I pollute much less then the "average" guy, I do all by bike, take the train allways, etc etc, but ok, that's just my choice of living. Some plastic boxes won't make the difference, when the boxes are broken I put them in the plastic recycle bin anyway (and the paper booklet at the paper recycle bin, so not SO much junk is left), just the cd itself.

Well, enlighten me? Both I and Fabien had our moments that we said "now it is really becoming TOO much", we are doing both 2 jobs you know...

And what does THIS have to do with cds? If tomorrow cd stops to exist, I would release as .WAV or whatever, that has nothing to do with running a music label. I will keep running it, even when the cd is gone... if I have the time

on a personal note I LOVE cd, and that's my personal feeling, even if I am the last one on earth i would buy them if possible.

1. No, I do not have a car, and will never get one. Yes I eat meat, twice a week, from an ecologic farmer... are we going to start talking about soya and shit now, and how much actually that is... WHAT EVER!!! ;) Think about it, and do not try to even start an argument, cause I will destroy you on that argument! :) Has nothing to do with this discussion either, cause we are talking about PHYSICAL MEDIA OF MUSIC, and so far I have not seen any fishdisks.

I bike and take trains and have done for ALL MY LIFE. When going to work, we HAVE TO take a car, cause there is NO OTHER WAY of getting there (There are no bus nor train connections). Most of the days though, I do take the train, and then bike the rest of the 10km, depends on the weather though. I wanna quit working there, cause I think its pathetic that they do not organize something for the people, like buses! Neither does this have to do ANYTHING TO DO with our discussion. Maybe it is my fault to bring things like that up.

2. I can not enlighten you. You have to enlighten yourself, think about alternatives, think about what is good for the world. People will not buy less of your music if it is good. The fans you have, will be your fans. Marketing, does that ring a bell to you? I am sorry, but why dont you start to think about a distribution COLLECTIVE or something?! A couple of labels working together, hiring some people that will do the job for your lazy asses. A lot better than some asshole distro that abuses you! Or go 100% digital. More money for the artists, more money to make more records! ;)

The pollution part of the discussion I can go deeper in, but I won't, let's write my conclusion in 1 sentence: we all polute anyway, simple as that... All the rest is probably off topic

But then... Woow, I can not believe what you wrote here...:

2. I can not enlighten you. You have to enlighten yourself, think about alternatives, think about what is good for the world.

Let's see, that must be music for a music label

People will not buy less of your music if it is good. The fans you have, will be your fans.

It sells less, I know some of the sales of individual releases ONLY released for download via payment. Lets have an example. Carbon Based Lifeforms single or the E-Mantra one, how many you think were sold?

Those groups have a fan base, but sold 10 times less, or even more, then cd.

Marketing, does that ring a bell to you? I am sorry, but why dont you start to think about a distribution COLLECTIVE or something?! A couple of labels working together, hiring some people that will do the job for your lazy asses.

First of all: hiring people? With what money? The profit of a label? of course...

Second: many people thought about the collective, but it is harder then you think (what explains why NOBODY did this untill now), why is clear: both financial as on the human side

third: lazy asses? You don't know what you are talking about. We are doing nothing right? :rolleyes:

A lot better than some asshole distro that abuses you! Or go 100% digital.

I have NO reason to go 100% digital (see above) and I am very happy with Arabesque, they do their job and they pay. So why chance what is good?

More money for the artists, more money to make more records! ;)

If your sales drop dramatically (1 out of 15? maybe 1 out of 10 cds) artists will earn LESS.

And we have the money to make more records. We just need enough quality music, what takes time.

The pollution part of the discussion I can go deeper in, but I won't, let's write my conclusion in 1 sentence: we all polute anyway, simple as that... All the rest is probably off topic

But then... Woow, I can not believe what you wrote here...:

Let's see, that must be music for a music label

It sells less, I know some of the sales of individual releases ONLY released for download via payment. Lets have an example. Carbon Based Lifeforms single or the E-Mantra one, how many you think were sold?

Those groups have a fan base, but sold 10 times less, or even more, then cd.

First of all: hiring people? With what money? The profit of a label? of course...

Second: many people thought about the collective, but it is harder then you think (what explains why NOBODY did this untill now), why is clear: both financial as on the human side

third: lazy asses? You don't know what you are talking about. We are doing nothing right? :rolleyes:

I have NO reason to go 100% digital (see above) and I am very happy with Arabesque, they do their job and they pay. So why chance what is good?

If your sales drop dramatically (1 out of 15? maybe 1 out of 10 cds) artists will earn LESS.

And we have the money to make more records. We just need enough quality music, what takes time.

I wrote a lot, and I love you guys, and I wont continue. The whole music industry is wrong, and you are following the standards of that industry. I wont however try to get further into an argument, cause I will most probably hurt your feelings and be your UN-Friend if I write what I think about the whole thing.

Hope you find another way of thinking when it comes to distributing your music, a way that will gain YOU and your ARTISTS more... And I am not talking about money in particular.

i think going digital only would reduce the sells but there's no questions to me that the music industry is wrong. it works well for pop artists with their filthy rich distributors but when it comes to underground music it surprises me that almost all the labels are following the same trend as commercialized labels. it doesn't work well unless you have few hot chicks showing their butts in your videoclip!!! i don't have the solution myself but this is wrong!!!

take radiohead's new album, in the rainbows. they put it on their website and you could choose how much you want to pay yourself. you could choose to pay nothing but i'm sure lots of ppl payed something for it and then it all goes to the artist. after a while they took it off the site and released the cd. they made so much profit with this strategy. their tour here in US was sold out in every single city and whoever paid even 5$ for the album paid directly to the artist. (i know this won't work as good for an underground artist)

when it comes to underground music we all know that most of the music is pirated rather than being sold. i think (IMO) it would be much better if labels allow everyone to download the music for free, maybe not the high quality version, (or even with 1 or 2 of the tracks missing) and then all those who pirate the music will download from the label (which will give an idea to the record label about popularity of the album) and those who buy CDs will buy it anyways. at the same time their websites will have more visitors which gives them the opportunity to make more money on ads. i'm talking out of my ass here so don't take me seriously but even if this doesn't work i still think that underground record labels should change the way they do their business to their own benefit.

Imagine how much plastic and enviromentally damaging compounds a computer concists of.. People, firms ect upgrade and throw away computers all the time. People seem to keep their CD's for much longer then their plastic computer Nemo, shopping cart :lol: you shoppingcart stealer, I bet your backyard is full of old and used shoppingcarts :P

What I Realy can't grasp is why the price of one CD has been the Same since pff yeah the 80's.

+1 for that, Nemo, your arguments are pretty weak for once :P Cd's aint doing much pollution, inside of a jewel case on a shelf somewhere, and it's VERY unusual that a person throw ones cd's out right?

And Psytones, probably because it's the music you pay for, not the cd's :) The price of an empty cd is very low now compared to what it was ten years ago

+1 for that, Nemo, your arguments are pretty weak for once :P Cd's aint doing much pollution, inside of a jewel case on a shelf somewhere, and it's VERY unusual that a person throw ones cd's out right?

And Psytones, probably because it's the music you pay for, not the cd's :) The price of an empty cd is very low now compared to what it was ten years ago

Jewel cases break and they get replaced. You know how many jewel cases get produced as well as covers for burned cds? And even if you do not throw them away, they still get produced, and a LOT of them get produced every day. More than computers parts, and that I think is a fact :) So the argument is, if you think hard about it, not lame at all. Since we DO have alternatives to PHYSICAL media, and COULD reduce the production of Jewel cases :P

And creating -what looks like almost bigger than a jewel case- case for those sticks is just dump. They should produce a way smaller shell for it at least, if any at all. But as I said before, I do not see the point in these sticks at all, when I can just download wav/mp3 directly from the recordshop.

If labels started to go against their distributions, we could also reduce costs for music. Enough labels within the same genre should get together and start their own webshop, which would need little to no maintenance at all in these days, since a lot of things can be automated. (I am talking about digital media). I am pretty pissed off with the prices of wavs on Beatport for instance, they could be WAY cheaper.

I really like what Basilisk is doing, and I hope more will follow... I know I am.

Nah, the Suntrip people are working their asses off (imo).

You could say that they need more exposure, and the best way to expose something to the world is by presenting themselves in the best light possible to a much broader number of people.

But, this all falls to water since we know that Suntrip is really dedicated to just a small niche of music genres. If they were to broaden their spectrum of music they want to release, they would grow. But I'm not sure that's what they want to do. As far as I know this label was opened to promote the almost forgotten Goa genre, and this keeps being their main focus in the label.

To be honest, there's not many artists who are that inspired to make goa trance music. The main problem is, this genre of music can be very complex and it really requires alot of experience to be able to output a good goa album. Think about it, these new artists have a very steep hill to climb, the Goa we used to listen to (and still do) has set some incredible standards throughout the years when it was active. It's very hard to recreate that standard.

Personally, even tho I might not find the newschool Goa as inspiring as the 'old' one (yet!), I know that these artists will grow over time. The more they make music, the better they become. I think the Suntrip people have so far done a kick-ass job. They've built a record label out of nowhere, and inspired not only the fans but artists all over the world.

So I really hope Suntrip still lives on, and artists like Filteria, Khetzal and a dozen others not mentioned here keep up with their efforts. Because that's what really counts, the effort. Not the money or the exposure.

Is this sucking up day or something?? Where else would a record label be built out of? :lol:

Well, take Blue Room for an example, built on the money from B&W Loudspeakers. ;) So there is nothing to laugh about, there are labels out there that are built on someone having too much money. SunTrip (as I see it) was built on hard work and dedication! So that is MAJOR respect!

Is this sucking up day or something?? Where else would a record label be built out of? :lol:

Try to look beyond the scope of what I said.. :rolleyes: When I mean "out of nowhere", I don't mean the money part of it. I mean they started this label with an intention to release goa material, even tho goa was pretty much a thing of the past. (well they called it mellodic-psy but we all know what that means)

My contribution to this thread is simple. I'm pro-CD althou I know environmentally it's not the best option.

The reason is - I don't want to hang in front of my computer all day, DL'ing tracks, organising playlists on winamp etc. It really makes my mind numb to stare at the screen. I want the use of computer and listening to music be two different things.

One could say - just organise a good playlist and let it play... but computer is for me is a devil's product, it sucks you in so easily and unnoticably. Before I know it, I was suppose to put music on but am on my 2nd hour reading pienews. :rolleyes:

My contribution to this thread is simple. I'm pro-CD althou I know environmentally it's not the best option.

The reason is - I don't want to hang in front of my computer all day, DL'ing tracks, organising playlists on winamp etc. It really makes my mind numb to stare at the screen. I want the use of computer and listening to music be two different things.

One could say - just organise a good playlist and let it play... but computer is for me is a devil's product, it sucks you in so easily and unnoticably. Before I know it, I was suppose to put music on but am on my 2nd hour reading pienews. :rolleyes:

Best thread in this topic ;)

Hooray for media players then ;) Just share your music over the LAN and let your media player that is connected to the lan do the rest :P

My setup: Server and Xbox with XBMC. Media Center connected to amplifier in the living room. Turn Tv on, chose your playlist or album, turn tv off. Enjoy the music, and if I have people over, I let the tv on, for XBMC has really nice trippy things going on on the screen :D

Hooray for media players then ;) Just share your music over the LAN and let your media player that is connected to the lan do the rest :P

My setup: Server and Xbox with XBMC. Media Center connected to amplifier in the living room. Turn Tv on, chose your playlist or album, turn tv off. Enjoy the music, and if I have people over, I let the tv on, for XBMC has really nice trippy things going on on the screen :D

You talk to a guy who needs help getting his windoze installed. :rolleyes:

If I understood half you said I might even go for it :lol:

You can't listen to music and spend time on pienews at the same time? ;)

So, Psytones, WHAT ARE YOU doing to keep our planet clean, and what are YOU doing to make the music industry better?! ;) Oh yeah, NOTHING, sorry I knew the answer. Nipwitt! :D

My intention isn't to put fuel on the fire :)

What am I doing to keep our planet greener, healthier and happier?

I don't drive a car, because I don't have a drivers licens. This means that I mostly take collective transport like Subways, trikks, busses + I walk A LOT!

When I smoked cigaretts I tried to never throw the cigarettsbutts on the ground. This goes for littering in general.

I buy echological ect food products (Especially eggs).

I focus a positive mind towards mother Gaia.

I try to use little electricity ect. even though improvments is always welcome.

I say NO to junkmail in the snailmail.

I try to recycle as much as possible if containers and options are availible.

I recycle my tea-bag at least two times :lol:

I take my energy and time to help clean up litter (like in South India after a mini-monsoon I was a part of the initiation to clean up the beach)

.. And I almost never take my private Jet out for a flight :P

What am I doing to make the music industry better?!

First of all, what do you mean better? Like better quality of music, invent new formats and be a massive part of the music industry?

I don't know Nemo, thats a hard question for me, what am I doing to improve the music industry?

Don't know how much this counts, but this is what I do that I am avare of:

I buy music, always have and I guess I always will support this capetalistic need.

I listen to music 24/7 (almost litterly). Music has been important for me since forever, and it aways will be!

Not so many years ago I recieved a blessing, a gift. I was able to make beautiful pietrance in my head. Only problem I have is making baselines and steady beats. This is being improved! I hope my headmusic is being sent around the cosmos in one way or the other.

I have tried to make my own music on software from the age of 16. This has failed. First I tried to make music on Fasttracker II, Fruityloops, then I tried Cubase. I have a learning dissability, so these programs don't come easy to me. Solution, work harder! I wish I could take these things easy..

Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but when it comes to sticky brain within music knowledge, I rox!

I DJ, I Dj'ed in Greece in 2002 as a resident DJ. I DJ/mix today, only hobby and private but I HAVE A DREAM!!

I dance.

I listen to the soundscape with all it's details and feelings. I think my sense of hearing is admirible :) Can I ego boost my self on that?

All in all Nemo, I guess I doo do SOMETHING yeh? But your right, I could do much better.. I'm trying, I am.

Once again about the topic. I am not going to buy these sticks. For me this is the same as Minidisc. And DL racks for me feels very unpersonal.

Call me shallow, but I like to have the actual music product in my hands. For me it's art. I would much more prefere to have a painting/deco on the wall then to only have it on my computer. It'a abouth warmth and ,,soul". Increadible enough, this plastic product called a CD contains tis. My mind can always be changed and improved, so never say never.

peace :)

I buy music, always have and I guess I always will support this capetalistic need.

First of all, I am not going to comment on the other stuff because 1. I do not have time 2. its way too offtopic already (mostly thanks to me of course).

Second of all, this is the main thing (replying to your quote here), buying the physical media called cd for the prices we have now, that is destroying things. By stop buying those cds for THAT price is ONE step forward into getting either a ) cheaper discs or b ) another format/media. Pressing cds today is cheaper than ever (for the pressing plants, not for their clients, and especially not if you are SunTrip aka Small indi labels) and prices are higher than ever (in general).

And then we have the middle man, also called the distributor, he is one of the flaws in the system. He takes a lot of money to distribute, and I could understand that, IF it was a distro that had almost no labels. However a decent distro has around 50 labels, and then 10 first of them are his +-0, and the rest is his PURE profit. Now imagine how it is with distros that have over 1000 labels... greed my friend, that is what is going on here, and it should be stopped. Online you cut out that little greedy bastard, you can start collectives (on your sites) which then work together to have little to NO distro costs at all, since all you need to do is to maintain the downloads and site. I mean, at the end of the day, what ALL of us want is cheaper good quality music, and CD's are not the answer. The alternative is online, but thats not good enough for snobby people that like to have something in their hands. You could compare it to a wank and a blowjob, people wank way more than they get blow jobs, cause they like to have something in their hand! (Just kidding of course).

Open source music (see basilisk) is another option, the labels promoting their acts more to get gigs, and therefor their main income is NOT the sales, but the gigs they get. This works especially well in the electronic music scene and of course pop/rock as well. There was some argument that some artists do not want to perform, well, im sorry, but isnt that kind of the reason we all got into this for? To perform our music to the masses and make people smile? Dead argument imo! :) And the artists that do not want to perform, hear this: YOU SUCK! I prefer your music live 100 times than hearing it in my living room!