Best of Other Electronica 2008

amphiton

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A place to share your impressions and recommendations of albums from 2008 that are not psytrance.

Proper text formatting and descriptions much appreciated!

Wow so much good actually this year!

Cari Lekebusch - Rituals - H Productions http://www.discogs.com/release/1530161

Cari Lekebusch Vs Jola Bola - Logo http://www.discogs.com/release/1551058

Chris Liebing - D http://www.discogs.com/release/1170474 (this track is from 2007, but played mostly in 2008... dunno why!)

Acid Junkies - Haunted Memories http://www.acidjunkies.com/t.php?pageid=3&...tid=3&id=41 have a listen there :D

SCSI9 - Tierra del Fuego (Pascal Feos Remix)

Hobo - Failsafe

Tom Wax and Boris Alexander - Do pretty girls dance (Pretty cool album to be honest, diverse and good techno) :)

just SOME of my favorites really, there was some Pascal Feos etc etc :)

Hybrid - Soundsystem 01

Posted Image

I suck at in-depth reviews so I'll just hook one up for you guys

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/08/20/100056.php

Snippet -

Hybrid fans are in for both a treat and a shock with their latest release, a double-disc DJ set entitled Soundsystem 01. The Hybrid duo are generally known for their very large and very lush orchestral big-beat albums, packed to the gills with a mixture of gritty breaks and polished strings. It's epic electronica, has very few peers, and ends up setting trends while following very few.

Which is why it's curious that this new release departs from that formula. Perhaps it's not so much a departure as a deconstruction of parts, because since it's a mix primarily focused on other people's work, it gives the opportunity to perhaps give emphasis to their influences. And as wide as you can imagine their influences ranging, so is the distance of styles on the two discs of Soundsystem 01.

I personally definitely liked it a lot. The cinematic mood(IDM, Movie Score, Ambient mixed together) of CD1 was amazing, almost stunned by how well and wonderfully was it all put together and how much quality there was. CD2 consists of quality tracks also, but it's not an experience like the first, it's more of a club oriented set. There were, like in all of Hybrids sets, few "not my cup of tea" tracks(Only 2, though).

Just too bad we got this instead of a 4th Hybrid album. I Choose Noise was released back in 06 and that's just too long ago, I need more genuine Hybrid!

Albums:

Petar Dundov- Escapements (Music Man Reocrds)

James Ruskin- The dash (Tresor)

X-102- Rediscovers the rings of Saturn (Tresor)

Robert Hood- Fabric 39 (Fabric London)

Kenny Larkin- Keys, strings, tambourines (Planet E)

12":

Kalon- Born again (Sandwell District)

Silent Servant- The blood of our king (Sandwell District)

Function- Anticipation (Sandwell District)

Surgeon/Regis/Female- The end of living, the start of survival (Downwards)

V/A Essex Rascals (Theory Recordings)

Joey Beltram- Shaking trees (Harthouse Mannheim)

The Advent & Industrialyzer- Sumer Brise/Country Fox (Kombination Research)

Go Hiyama- Crispy bites EP (Dynamic Reflection)

Glenn Wilson- Phoenix EP (Compund)

Ricardo Villalobos - Vasco : album of the year for me. even more laid-back than his previous albums. ridiculously smooth & detailed yet always maintaining that edgy razor-sharp vibe.

La Baaz - Clubrausch : progressive, prog-house or whatever it's called. very high "coolness"-factor. a genuine guilty pleasure.

Flying Lotus - Los Angeles : long grainy melodic synths, sturdy trip-hop beats & glass-like tribalesque percussion throughout the entire album.

Extrawelt & Minilogue albums : because i can't post these in the official psy best of thread.

Nemo, the Cari Lekebusch and the SCSI 9 ep/albums you recommended are amazing! Something similar you can recommend? Im getting hattache thinking of all the different genres there is in electronic now a days, what do you call the two artists???

Nemo, the Cari Lekebusch and the SCSI 9 ep/albums you recommended are amazing! Something similar you can recommend? Im getting hattache thinking of all the different genres there is in electronic now a days, what do you call the two artists???

Well, it would be called Techno by all, but I prefer to call it Tech-Trance (Not tech-psy-trance!!)... But in the end, it is Techno. I will dig out some more quality stuff. You can check out The Source Experience on H-Productions as well, (same label as Cari) on Beatport :) Actually, just check out the whole series of releases of 2008 from them :)

SubtractiveLAD-Apparatus

Best non psy related ambient of 2008. Amazing music!

Yeah that is a really nice release,more post-rockish than his previous works though,which i love (especially Suture).

You might also like this one.My favourite ambient of 2008.

n5MD is highly recommended.

Well, it would be called Techno by all, but I prefer to call it Tech-Trance (Not tech-psy-trance!!)... But in the end, it is Techno. I will dig out some more quality stuff. You can check out The Source Experience on H-Productions as well, (same label as Cari) on Beatport :) Actually, just check out the whole series of releases of 2008 from them :)

Awesome, i will! Thank you :)

STOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!

Argh, I just remembered Regis' Necklace Of Bites 2xLP, which is damn monotonous, dry, rotten, repetetive, ugly, disgusting, repugnant, brutally supreme - in brief: best techno release of '08.

Also, Glenn Wilson's track Northern Rise is quite probably my pick for track of the year. It's from '07, but I just recently got around to hearing it. It has those shuffled melody stabs, which are awesome.

I also forgot Oscar Mulero's Take Seven 12", which only gets better as it progressess.

Few standouts I'm only gonna mention that pop out.

I munched everything i could find by Pablo Bolivar, i love his subtle atmospheric take on things. This year it was:

Pablo Bolivar - Sci Fi Winter Tales

Pablo Bolivar - Gold Series Vol. 1 ( i didn't get around to checking out vol. 2)

in that same vein i also discovered

Arthur Deep - Atmosphere EP

besides that, a few noteworthy:

Subsonic Park - Inner City Codes (solid dubby, techy chillout)

The Third Man - Clarion Hall

last but not least:

Carl Craig & Moritz von Oswald - ReComposed - New Mixes By Ricardo Villalobos & Carl Craig

.I never thought i'd end up getting something by Deutsche Grammophon, hehe.. but was worth it.

STOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!

Argh, I just remembered Regis' Necklace Of Bites 2xLP, which is damn monotonous, dry, rotten, repetetive, ugly, disgusting, repugnant, brutally supreme - in brief: best techno release of '08.

Also, Glenn Wilson's track Northern Rise is quite probably my pick for track of the year. It's from '07, but I just recently got around to hearing it. It has those shuffled melody stabs, which are awesome.

I also forgot Oscar Mulero's Take Seven 12", which only gets better as it progressess.

Ill tell Glenn next time I speak to him, I bet he will be happy about that rating :)

Ill tell Glenn next time I speak to him, I bet he will be happy about that rating :)

Tell him a fraction of Croatia is DYING for more, morE, moRE, mORE, MORE!!!

He kicks so much ass so uncompromisingly hard, without resorting to that nonsense scharnz thingy. Awesome! Powerful techno all the way!

MINILOGUE - ANIMALS

EXTRAWELT - SCHONE NEUE EXTRAWELT

SHED - SHEDDING THE PAST

GAISER - BLANK FADE

LOCO DICE - 7 DUNHAM PLACE

HEARTTHROB - DEAR PAINTER, PAINT ME

AUTECHRE - QUARISTICE

FLYING LOTUS - LOS ANGELES

WOLFRAM SPYRA - GASOLINE 91 OCTANE

SCHULZE & GERRARD - FARSCAPE

THOMAS P. HECKMANN - THE LOST TALES

ANTHONY ROTHER - MY NAME IS TELEKRAFT

GUS TILL - AQUANNA STILLNESS

HOL BAUMANN - HUMAN

GEOMATIC - BLUE BEAM

NINE INCH NAILS - GHOSTS I - IV

RADIOHEAD - IN RAINBOWS

PORTISHEAD - THIRD

• 2 weeks later...

2008 was a good year.

In no particular order (I have added a * to my top five):

Heartthrob - Dear painter, paint me*

Argy - Focus on

Loco Dice - 7 Dunham Place

Martini Bros - The MB Factor

Wighnomy Brothers - Metawuffmischfelge*

Mikkel Metal - Peaks And Troughs*

Various - Lagos Shake

Pluxus - Solid State

Toby Tobias - Space Shuttle*

2562 - Aerial

Flying Lotus - Los Angeles*

Falko Brocksieper - Heavy Day

Ezekiel Honig - Surfaces Of A Broken Marching Band

Eine Kleine Nacht Musik

Efdemin - Carry On, Pretend We're Not In The Room

Extrawelt - Schone Neue Extrawelt

Plus three fantastic Italian 1970s Cosmic Rock/Disco compilations. It is not electronic, but it is dance and it is history.

(1) Various/Daniele Baldelli - Cosmic (The Original), (2) Baia Degli Angeli 1, (3) Baia Degli Angeli 2

Enjoy!

Pedro

Martini Bros - The MB Factor

Wighnomy Brothers - Metawuffmischfelge*

Efdemin - Carry On, Pretend We're Not In The Room

Yummy, haven't heard these ones, thanks for the info. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. Didn't hear anything new from Hybrid since Wide Angle. Need to check.

They've had 5 albums since then!! Their two artist albums Morning Sci Fi and I choose noise which are both ace but quite a bit darker than the blissful wide angle. And their 3 remix albums: remix and additional production by, y4k and hybrid soundsystem which are also all very good!

They've had 5 albums since then!! Their two artist albums Morning Sci Fi and I choose noise which are both ace but quite a bit darker than the blissful wide angle. And their 3 remix albums: remix and additional production by, y4k and hybrid soundsystem which are also all very good!

I need a lot of catching up I guess. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...