3. Anti Gravity

4. Human V2

5. Enhanced Disclosure

6. Time Tunnel

7. Don't disturb the snake

8. Vibrations (Braincell rmx)

9. Bodyspeaker 2008

10. Daybreak

(In case you were wondering, this is NOT the Braincell of old Harthouse and Eye Q fame, it is a different artist with the same name)

I must admit I've never heard any of (this) Braincell's work until now, I gave this album a try after some recomendations and was amazed. He conveniently mixes in oldscool elements with full-on and even some progressive to give us an unique morning style.

The album starts off with Squeezer that sounds kindof like progressive psy with a full-on bassline... not really my cup of tea... press forward on your remote please...

Warp Zone starts just as boring as Squeezer but it gradually builds up and then around 2:30 a nice melody takes over. Ahhh that's more like it, but still something's missing here.

Anti Gravity now Braincell hits us in full effect. An absolute dancefloor stormer, there are many oldschool influences but it is all made in a unique style, I just can't get enough of this one. Definately one of the best tracks of the year!!

It all goes down a notch with Human V2 which is an ok track, but a bit dissapointing after hearing Anti Gravity.

Enhanced Disclosure brings some more oldschoolish melodies. Very nice but not perfect...

Then comes yet another dancefloor stormer Time Tunnel. You have to wait until 4:30 for this track to fully unleash its power but the wait is well worth it. One of the best melodies I've heard in a long time!

Don't Disturb the Snake is still firing on all pistons but the melody isn't as magical as Anti Gravity or Time Tunnel.

Vibrations brings us to the darker side of things, I'd call this one dark full-on. Some interesting twisted atmospheres and also some oldschoolish dark melodies, at parts it reminded me Darshan.

Bodyspeaker 2008 continues in dark full-on territory but sounds pretty generic to my ears. I haven't heard the original Bodyspeaker but I kindof wonder why Braincell felt the need to make a remix...

Daybreak ah who said that the tradition of putting a downtempo track at the end of an album was lost? ;) Interesting track, it reminds me a LOT of some oldschool downtempo tracks.

THE GOOD: tracks 3 and 6 are AMAZING, it's been a while since I haven't felt the urge of jumping from my chair and dance when listening to a killer track. I have put that down to getting older but it seems that a great track will still do it for me at any age ;)

THE BAD: pretty inconsistent album. While some tracks are instant classics, others are quite forgetable.

CONCLUSION A killer album that I can only wholehartedly recommend to anyone into morning psy with oldschool influences. Not all tracks are great, but you will find more interesting tracks here than on most 2008 releases and IMO the dancefloor stormers more than compensate for the duds. 9,5/10

I really like Universal Language and Transformation of Reality but when I saw Braincell live last year I was quite unimpressed, none of what he played seemed to have the melodic climaxes that made tracks like Visible Sound and Emdiemey so great. How would people say this compares to his previous two albums?

This one and his previous album are probably my favorite full on albums.

I've not heard Braincell's previous offerings in full, but from samples I think this new one is less melodic - the old ones were packed with those sort of baroque, a'la old IM 'classical' melodies, while the new one takes the time to build the tunes and the climaxes are more 'regular', though still characteristic for this group. Check the reviews at isratrance - they seem to confirm it, though the overall impression I guess is still very positive. I personally was very pleasantly surprised at how great this hybrid of full-on, progressive and old-school has worked out - tracks like "Warp zone", "Anti gravity", "Enhanced disclosure", "Time tunnel" or "Vibrations" are finest examples, though others are not that far off, just more concentrated on textures & psychedelic sounds than melody. After this one, I'll definitely buy the earlier releases.

4/5

Awesome! Basslines like Abomination, Azax, Hoodwink ect. with beautiful melody structures! At times "old school-ish" sound, but meanwhile it has a dark feeling, with ALOT of undergoing rythms and detailed effects!!

Best fullon album 2008!

Edit. Don't know why (since it ain't the same sound) but it reminds me of 2007 Logic bomb album... Guess it's the equal intelligence in the music wich comes to mind

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

uPhNfQA.jpg

Artist: Braincell

Title: Frequency Evolution

Label: Glowing Flame Records

Date: September, 2008

1. Squeezer
2. Warp Zone
3. Anti Gravity
4. Human V2
5. Enhanced Disclosure
6. Time Tunnel
7. Don't disturb the snake
8. Vibrations (Braincell rmx)
9. Bodyspeaker 2008
10. Daybreak

"We have a golden opportunity right now to join the rest of the universe in peace."

You do peace and we will wage seemingly unending wars that never really solve any of the underlying problems. It's what we do. Fish gotta swim. Birds gotta eat.

This is the third album from Ralph and unfortunately his last with GFR. It's driving music with bubbling growls and juicy tidbits. Intelligent full-on with plenty of little touches that increase the album's depth. There is a warmth in the production and the leads are charged with electricity. As previously mentioned there is some old school flare to be found here also. The only downside I found is that at times he ventured into the un-evolving repetitive full-on side of things. While not as dominant as Transformation of Reality it is still pretty good.

Psyshop - At $10.60 that's a good deal.

Mdk