1. 1. Which one you prefer the most?

• Techno
    • Trance

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some good techno (prolly sounds like psytrance for some):

I dig that stuff until it gets faster. The later part ... it's too fast.

Both are good, but I find trance can go that little bit further and techno tends to be a lot more solid or simply crap.

Although tbh I don't really see much difference in feeling between say minimal psy and techno.

The extra rythmn is great, but at the same time I miss the maximalness of trance a lot.

My favourite genre is goa/psy which is trance obviously... but apart from that I don't really think it makes much difference, techno tends to be certain moods and more minimal though obviously. Although I find only acid techno can fulfil that fully trancey/trippey thing that some goa/psy gives you. Emmanuel top-turkish bazaar (original mix) is great however... and hell I saw that in goa getter 1, a goa trance mix. So I think overall it just really doesn't matter.

Basically: Trance needs more rythmn and less dud elements, techno needs more maximal use of synths and modulation, and epicness and trippeyness and breakdowns (emmanuel top does awesome breakdowns however).

For a newb it might be useful, but its not accurate, NOR is it complete.

IMO it's impossible to have a 100% accurate or complete guide, simply because the styles change depending on the region of the World you come from. For example what was called hardcore in the UK in the early 90s has NOTHING to do with what was called hardcore in The Netherlands.

But anyway, my biggest issue is that the guide is becoming outdated, Ishkur seems to have lost interest in updating it, I've always wondered if there is some other such guide that goes all the way to 2008?

the further you explore electronic music, the less u can hold on to styles and nametags (imho)

some good techno (prolly sounds like psytrance for some):

lol look at the dude's face around 1:55... priceless!!

well ok

i get your point, and i agree to disagree

>as in: to me, i have a different view about it

and it's all about personal preferences here, so not much use to discuss further i think :)

some arpeggio techno btw:

anyway, the discussion is a bit pointless IMO since obviously all genres "bleed" between eachother at one point or other. For example, X-Dream took a LOT of elements from techno around 2000 when everyone was applauding their creative change in style and I've heard some techno artists using a lot of trancy elements. Goatrance itself used a LOT of acid techno elements, hell I've listened to some old acid trance comps and I wondered what was the difference between that and oldschool goatrance.

Or refering to Nemo's post on electro vs techno, the first wave of Detroit techno WAS electro, only afterwards did it develop into what we calle Detroit techno today (or used to call it, not up to date with recent progressions ;) )

Or refering to Nemo's post on electro vs techno, the first wave of Detroit techno WAS electro, only afterwards did it develop into what we calle Detroit techno today (or used to call it, not up to date with recent progressions ;) )

Detroit Techno pretty much still exists :)

I dig that stuff until it gets faster. The later part ... it's too fast.

imo the later part is the better one. i like my trance at 140-150bpm and my techno/tekno at 180-190bpm :)

@gnome

also check out banditos. they are pretty similar to the sound of that video. while your at it also have a look at gotek. sounds a bit different, but a lot of his tracks are classics at freeparties around here.

imo the later part is the better one. i like my trance at 140-150bpm and my techno/tekno at 180-190bpm :)

too high bpm makes me nervous and/or aggressive...

don't like that

it can be 140 or even 150, but that's max

currently I prefer less

I'm not too sure about why the delta-as a child I could walk on the ceiling isn't (psy)tech trance either. I wonder when ishkur gets a lot wrong about the genre I know most about what his credability in other genres that I assume he is correct on is.

Well you know the saying: either you know a lot about a specific matter or you know a little about everything. Hell, even I'm having a hard time classifying all the psytrance releases and I've been listening almost exclusevly to psytrance for more than a decade now...

And I don't think As A Child I Could Walk On The Ceiling is actually featured in the guide... he puts Travelling at the Speed of Tought into goatrance and I agree with that, I mean it sounds closer to oldschool than to techtrance. Anyway, I don't agree with everything he says either but IMO that's the closest one could come to having a comprehensive guide to the million and one electronic music genres. If there's any better guide out there I'd like to know of it ;)

@gnome

also check out banditos. they are pretty similar to the sound of that video. while your at it also have a look at gotek. sounds a bit different, but a lot of his tracks are classics at freeparties around here.

well actually that last part sounds more like pitched-up drum&bass than techno :)

always refer to Ishkur's guide to electronic music when in doubt ;)

That guide is ok, but it has many mistakes IMO. At least in the trance scene where I'm more familiar with.

First of all he confused many styles. Second many tracks are not in the correct section. (The epic trance list a complete fail) and third it seems that he makes genres from his mind. What the hell is buttrock Goa? :lol: Actually the whole Psy/Goa section is a complete mess. ManMadeMan IS Goa and the same with Pleiadians-Jungle Track. And the Psy-Tekk section is totally fucked up.

IMO it's a good effort, but one person alone can't make a full list. Simply because you can't be an expert to everything.

And BTW judging by his comments Ishkur must have the worst taste in Trance. :D

Well you know the saying: either you know a lot about a specific matter or you know a little about everything. Hell, even I'm having a hard time classifying all the psytrance releases and I've been listening almost exclusevly to psytrance for more than a decade now...

And I don't think As A Child I Could Walk On The Ceiling is actually featured in the guide... he puts Travelling at the Speed of Tought into goatrance and I agree with that, I mean it sounds closer to oldschool than to techtrance. Anyway, I don't agree with everything he says either but IMO that's the closest one could come to having a comprehensive guide to the million and one electronic music genres. If there's any better guide out there I'd like to know of it ;)

It's under buttrock goa because it features electric guitar

That guide is ok, but it has many mistakes IMO. At least in the trance scene where I'm more familiar with.

First of all he confused many styles. Second many tracks are not in the correct section. (The epic trance list a complete fail) and third it seems that he makes genres from his mind. What the hell is buttrock Goa? :lol: Actually the whole Psy/Goa section is a complete mess. ManMadeMan IS Goa and the same with Pleiadians-Jungle Track. And the Psy-Tekk section is totally fucked up.

IMO it's a good effort, but one person alone can't make a full list. Simply because you can't be an expert to everything.

And BTW judging by his comments Ishkur must have the worst taste in Trance. :D

well you have to bring yourself back to the late 90s/ early 2000s when the guide was actually made... I know that there was a LOT of debate on the difference between psytrance and goatrance in the 90s, only afterwards had it become generally accepted that goatrance is what we call oldschool today (generally people put all pre-2000 stuff in this category) and psytrance is basically everything made after the oldschool demise. But it didn't use to be that way, in the 90s many people kindof agreed that goatrance was more melodic like AP and MWNN whereas psytrance was crazyier stuff with a lot of acid riffs like... well ManMadeMan - Drama ;) Only after 2000 did people just agree to put everything made before in the same goatrance basket and call newer stuff "psytrance".

Same with psytekk vs minimal... to many people (including me) those 2 terms were interchangeable in the early 2000s so IMO that section isn't that fucked up :)

But yes, like you say "it's a good effort, but one person alone can't make a full list. Simply because you can't be an expert to everything." :)

PS No, I don't know what buttrock goa is either ;)

well you have to bring yourself back to the late 90s/ early 2000s when the guide was actually made... I know that there was a LOT of debate on the difference between psytrance and goatrance in the 90s, only afterwards had it become generally accepted that goatrance is what we call oldschool today (generally people put all pre-2000 stuff in this category) and psytrance is basically everything made after the oldschool demise. But it didn't use to be that way, in the 90s many people kindof agreed that goatrance was more melodic like AP and MWNN whereas psytrance was crazyier stuff with a lot of acid riffs like... well ManMadeMan - Drama ;) Only after 2000 did people just agree to put everything made before in the same goatrance basket and call newer stuff "psytrance".

Same with psytekk vs minimal... to many people (including me) those 2 terms were interchangeable in the early 2000s so IMO that section isn't that fucked up :)

But yes, like you say "it's a good effort, but one person alone can't make a full list. Simply because you can't be an expert to everything." :)

PS No, I don't know what buttrock goa is either ;)

Oh, I didn't know that guide was so old. Then it's pretty good for that time, I agree.

But it needs an update immediately! :D

• 1 month later...

My vote goes to trance. I'm a sucker for melodies and climaxes plus trance is my first love in electronic music. But I do like techno too. Well, depending on what you call techno... ;) If it's too monotone I can't stand it but I also like some minimal (well, the kind I like is called neo-trance by Gay Satanic Hippie so go figure) and of course tech-trance too.

never like techno that much, going out was ok but playing at home never happened,

although the new minimal has some great techno influences (we are talking about actual techno ?)

that I like a lot,

the combination of both seems to work fine