Ormion

Techno or Trance?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which one you prefer the most?

• Techno
    • Trance

The biggest question of all! :D

Techno or Trance?

First of all when I mean techno and trance I don't mean exclusively the classic techno and trance scenes. I mean the overall styles of these genres that can be present in any other dance genre.

For example Psychedelic Trance and Psychedelic Techno etc.

Second I didn't add a 'both' choice for obvious reasons. I guess 90% of the members here like both of them, but the question is which one you prefer the most?

I voted for Trance. I love Techno and it was my first electronic love. I love the intensity and the hard feeling of Techno music. The rhythm, the driven power. But for me Trance was always much more trippy. More colourful. The fact that I'm a melody lover helped my choice. An ideal track for me would be one that combine the best of both genres, but if I have to choose one then is Trance.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm voting for Trance aswell.

Although my electronic music journey started a bit with Techno, the typical Schranz type ... that was the first stuff I heard on parties. It was nice although I got tired of it already after a year (that was not the music's fault though, rather the people's). I was on general commercial trance paries aswell though and didn't like them any better or such...

The breakthrough came with the discovery of goa trance and psytrance. I got to love that music. And meanwhile the ride has taken me to modern electronic hybrid house-progtrance sounds. The key element of it all, however, is easily identified ... I'm a sucker for the floaty, light melodic type of music. Earlier one it were the massive goa melodies of Astral Projection and the likes, nowadays it's the calming yet progressing pads and synth melodies. Even though I don't classify any of this as trance myself since I want to prevent mix-ups with the commercial horrors of chav trance, I guess these elements are actually the very essence of trance music. Which makes me a trancehead par excellence and no technohead.

I like techno aswell though ... of course.

Techno

Why? Just because... My own experiences have led me to think how it's a genre more inclined to emphasize energy and is eager to establish the "wild out" attitude when you're dancing to it. I also tend to be more inclined towards pure and uncut techno as often it doesn't pretend to be anything but party music, just a medium increasing your urge to dance. No mind expanding, contemplation inducing sound waves leading you to higher levels of existance. Jesus, I'm just trying to dance all night long, not meet Gandhi in the deepest realms of my cerebrum. Techno has that relentless and powerful drive which sweeps massess three feet above the ground. I just find techno more straight forward, primordial, if you want to call it that, very often stripped and mechanical, souless to those not willing to dive deeper into it, but regularly it has more substance and density under the surface, unlike a lot of psy which comes across as loaded and complex at first sight, but is actually quite shallow, trying to be more than it can objectively represent.

Trance definately. Even tho it got so commercialized there's so many of it still that I love. By that I mean I listen to some stuff that was still released around '03, but not many if any after that time.

Right now listening to DJ Trinity - Connected. It might be bad for some people, but for me it's cake for my ears and mind.

how can anyone possibly choose?? both genres are totally different...

its like asking me to choose between Chris Liberator and Simon Posford... i simply cannot choose...

i love both.

It's impossible to tell when I like a certain four-to-the-floor tune or not. Could be trance, could be techno, or something in between, or anything else. Genre classifications have nothing to do with it.

I couldn't care less about all the (sub)genres and differences within dance music. I simply like the best of it all. :posford:

Techno!

To be honest i never liked techno till this year. But now, what i think is, that this mechanical rhythm is the best combination in/with psy tunes which rests within my soul, spirit. Psytek (L)

People who love techno say that it has a lot of depth beneath the surface, but it simply can't take me to the places trance takes me to. Its just too repetitive, and frequently there isn't enough variation. The melodies in trance are unbeatable :) Techno is good, trance is better. I've never danced to techno so I can't judge them on that aspect. Trance also has more joie de vivre.

Trance

He who says that Techno does not have melody, he does not KNOW techno. That is WHY I asked: Define Techno. I wanna hear it from the people that voted trance and that are so anti techno. I think that many people have no clue what techno is, or what trance influenced Techno is for that matter. I am not meaning to get into a genre fight here, I just wonder what people think techno or trance is! :)

And I voted Techno cause Techno/Acid are my roots, but god knows that I am a very big Trance fan. I have almost the entire HH and EYE-Q collection, the entire MFS collection etc etc...

so again: Define Techno;

Yeah techno is so non-melodic http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wFyFvF4Mc

sounds quite like electro/house ;)

this is techno to me :)

i have voted trance. listened to a lot of freetekno/acid techno in my early days, but after a few years i grew tired of the raw, mechanical sound of techno and prefer the flowing, floating feeling that trance is all about.

richie hawtin, sven vath,ricardo villalobos,Luciano,minimal techno EDIT:: <- i dont know any of these, rec from girl friend, and I just heard Luciano. crap! haha

:The Techno in it's acid minimal perspective can have a lot of good sounds! Smart moves! Stellar baselines and it seems to reach A LOT more people then Trance. In the clubs it's minimal techno all the way for the clubbers. It's drug friendly (Acid, X, GHB, Amph, Coke .. it all seems to work on this musical genre) and dance/clubbing friendly + DJ friendly music. I like the sounds, I like the baselines + most friends I have like this stuff. Personally my vote goes to 'Trance' or more precise, psychedelic trance. As Pad wrote, I prefer the flowing, floating feeling that trance is about, and if I do need something not so Trancie, then I would still choose psychedelic trance music in the less trance genre (like 'VA - Not My Cup of Tea'). Might be that Much of the minimal techno is More psychedelic or hallucinogenic then your everyday pietrance .. :unsure: - In the end it's the sounds and feelings I'm after, and pietrance has more in stock for me on the Vote.

Trance.

The biggest question of all! :D

Techno or Trance?

First of all when I mean techno and trance I don't mean exclusively the classic techno and trance scenes. I mean the overall styles of these genres that can be present in any other dance genre.

For example Psychedelic Trance and Psychedelic Techno etc.

Second I didn't add a 'both' choice for obvious reasons. I guess 90% of the members here like both of them, but the question is which one you prefer the most?

it's like you're not eager to point your finger at it, while the whole equation u are using does it for you

first of all... both techno AND trance are in fact house music

second.. i know of techno tracks that're way more hypnoticising and trance-inducing than any of the stereotypes behind the image "trance-music" nowadays

but, that's what it's all about .. am i right ?

you wanna talk about 2 stereotypes in versus mode, while not referring to the stereotypes intrinsically

cause basically, both are made of the same essence

only the shift in timesetting and the movement through generations changed parts of the interpretation behind the names, the style, and the mindset

how can anyone possibly choose?? both genres are totally different...

that's just what people made of it

the electronic scenes are filled with apartheid nowadays ;)

they all believe their own music reaches the farthest beyond all the heavens

and that theirs is a unicum

zieg ubermüsicmenschen ;)

okay... perhaps i'm exagerating now.. :P

but if it would be a discussion about techno vs trance, universally speaking

then i just don't see this discussion going anywhere but sinking under the heavy payload of disinformation and propagandistic misunderstood archetypical drawings of those

"retarded scenes that also seem to exist for some sort of stupid reason"

i love both.

i can only conclude with these words as well (but i don't really look at them as two opposite or different things µ

but i guess that could just as well be my preoccupation with earlier stuff talking....

sounds quite like electro/house ;)

this is techno to me :)

i have voted trance. listened to a lot of freetekno/acid techno in my early days, but after a few years i grew tired of the raw, mechanical sound of techno and prefer the flowing, floating feeling that trance is all about.

LOL that is more hardcore than anything else, annoying! :D

Yeah techno is so non-melodic http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wFyFvF4Mc

ALERT: STOLEN MELODY!

Seriously!

He flinched that melody from The Visions Of Shiva - How Much Can You Take?!

He he...

And yep, it feels more like electro to me. Sounds like a Rother remix of HMCYT...

anyway ... I somehow get more and more confused...

I always associated this with techno: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=694OqUFJD5k (if you skip the utterly annoying 1:50 min intro that is, please do!) ... that was exactly the stuff I always got to listen to.

Now, would anybody kindly explain to me WHAT THAT IS? To me it always was TECHNO. Is it? It maybe is. But WHAT KIND? Schranz? I began to associate it with that. But if it's not Schranz what's it then?

Let's put it that way: if that style is Techno, then I prefer Trance. That's how I always thought.