Where does this all come from?!?!

Astrognomix

I've never journeyed like when I've tripped listening to albums like Hallucinogen in Dub or Tales of the Inexpressible.... it's unreal.

Why do you mention these most known albums? :)

Do you know Amon Tobin? It's not exactly trance. But i really wonder what happens when one would trip to it. Have to try this somewhen.

I love his albums Foley Room and Out from out where.

Posford himself talked breifly about this topic in several interviews. To sum it up, he said he, and other psy producers he associated with, felt embarrassed being called gods and worshipped and such. He said he didn't intentionally put anything spirtitual into the music, but agreed that many people do seem to find something "mind-expanding" in the music. Obviously he's a person who's had quite a few psychedelic experiences himself, and he's discovered ways to "write" certain "common hallucinations" into musical phrases. But as others pointed out here, many other artists have achieved similar results. Posford does seem to be one of the best, however, as many people report having mystical experiences to his music. I can testify to having my mind blown equally by: Plastikman, FSOL, Jimi Hendrix, Aphex Twin, and Shpongle, of course. FSOL seemed to be the most psychedelic to me because of the emotions they weaved into their stuff so well. But Posford's stuff does take on new form when under the influence of psychedelics, and it's quite astounding.

This is all subjective, though. A lot of people probably trip to Hallucingen's stuff because of his moniker title. And people listen to the music expecting something psychedlic, and this opens them to the experience. But these producers aren't gods, they're just people, albiet very talented. I think the whole Psytrance culture is just a resonance of psychedelic cultures throughout history. Our shamans wear different clothes, and the kick drum is made with magnets and electricity instead of deer skin and hollow logs; but the destination is the same place. Somewhere so far into the clouds and then deeper, into hyper-space just far enough to see what's really inside YOU! :D

i really feel that the psymovement wont ameliorate, nowadays in the psy scene, i dont feel mind blowned anymore, there a few artist back then that was doing it, now i dont hear what i like from the old project.

It might be that artists nowadays don't write the same good music as earlier.. but the fact that the music isnt new to you anymore is also a HUGE factor. The sounds arent new anymore.. so they cant have the same effect as they had in the beginning... Dont forget that.

It might be that artists nowadays don't write the same good music as earlier.. but the fact that the music isnt new to you anymore is also a HUGE factor. The sounds arent new anymore.. so they cant have the same effect as they had in the beginning... Dont forget that.

Hmm.. just to correctly understand what you're saying.. are you implying a person new to the genre is going to react differently to crap music than say someone who has been listening to goa for the last 5/6 years?

good music is good music and crap crap unless you're high on crack.

Hmm.. just to correctly understand what you're saying.. are you implying a person new to the genre is going to react differently to crap music than say someone who has been listening to goa for the last 5/6 years?

good music is good music and crap crap unless you're high on crack.

I understand what he's getting at. The first psy I listened to properly was Infected Mushroom's Vicious Delicious and back then I thought it was gold. It was something totally new to me and I worshipped the album... now, after a while longer listening to far better (subjectively) psy I can honestly say I cringe at finding the album so bloody fantastic. Saying that though my initial feelings still hold some sway with it as the title track still manages to send a shiver of pure energy down my spine when it climaxes.

I understand what he's getting at. The first psy I listened to properly was Infected Mushroom's Vicious Delicious and back then I thought it was gold. It was something totally new to me and I worshipped the album... now, after a while longer listening to far better (subjectively) psy I can honestly say I cringe at finding the album so bloody fantastic. Saying that though my initial feelings still hold some sway with it as the title track still manages to send a shiver of pure energy down my spine when it climaxes.

Well yeah i can understand that. But just because a person has heard too much of a particular genre doesn't automatically mean that he cannot find new music in that genre good enough. And vice versa. Atleast that's how i feel about it. The thing is that there's hardly any good music in the psytrance genre these days to sit up and take notice which is why people want to believe they've grown tired. If there's hardly anything original being released then obviously there is no point in forcing yourself to enjoy something.

Also, actually fiddling around with some electronic music equipment kindof takes the magic out of it all, you realize that it's not THAT hard to do. I mean, I'm not saying it's easy either, but you realize that a lot of those tweaked out sounds are just random use of filters, LFOs and delays. Which doesn't mean that the artists behind aren't geniouses, but it all seems so "down to Earth" today compared to how I used to see this music a decade ago. Well, I guess the old saying is true: you should never meet your childhood heroes ;)

huh yeah, you're not just making music yourself that's all :drama: random factor=big fail

be sure that in your most favorite songs nothing has been left to coincidence trust me

Also, in terms of genre definitions with electronic I'm not all that great.... besides that the names just confuse things... ambient, psy trance.. psytrance, psybient.... who really is the one who gets to label these types of music? and do the labels really matter?

well, they do matter to me...

I'm not into this for profound drug-related mystical experiences, I'm into it mostly because of the sound (I just like it) and because I can think better when listening to this music (yes, I can ... I also can work better ... it's like the metronome for my life, when the sound is there it's so easy to do things) ... and because of the endorphines I get when running to it. Yep, that is it. I have found that out. And concerning the fullon or darkpsy I listened to I found out I probably did that just for one purpose (that would go too far now if I explained that) ... and now that I know the purpose it has lost its attractiveness. The only thing that remains for me is electronic music as a rhythm giver, as a source of ideas and creative thoughts and happiness. That's my way ... and that's also the reason I'll never stop listening to electronica ... it will just get less and less intense and more an more minimal in the future (that has already begun, but now that I believe to know the real purpose why I seem to like the music (behind the veil, you know) I'll switch down with the radicalness and get started with the stuff that can bring me further personally ... complex topic, I know, maybe I'll rambel about it again when drunk...)...

Anyway, what I wanted to say: no profound mystical meaning or experience for me, please. I realized I'm not on the search for that type of stuff ... and I don't want psytrace to become some sort of spiritual source for the holy grail or something. I'm just enjoying the sound B)

well, they do matter to me...

I'm not into this for profound drug-related mystical experiences, I'm into it mostly because of the sound (I just like it) and because I can think better when listening to this music (yes, I can ... I also can work better ... it's like the metronome for my life, when the sound is there it's so easy to do things) ... and because of the endorphines I get when running to it. Yep, that is it. I have found that out. And concerning the fullon or darkpsy I listened to I found out I probably did that just for one purpose (that would go too far now if I explained that) ... and now that I know the purpose it has lost its attractiveness. The only thing that remains for me is electronic music as a rhythm giver, as a source of ideas and creative thoughts and happiness. That's my way ... and that's also the reason I'll never stop listening to electronica ... it will just get less and less intense and more an more minimal in the future (that has already begun, but now that I believe to know the real purpose why I seem to like the music (behind the veil, you know) I'll switch down with the radicalness and get started with the stuff that can bring me further personally ... complex topic, I know, maybe I'll rambel about it again when drunk...)...

Anyway, what I wanted to say: no profound mystical meaning or experience for me, please. I realized I'm not on the search for that type of stuff ... and I don't want psytrace to become some sort of spiritual source for the holy grail or something. I'm just enjoying the sound B)

Hey, you made me curious! What was that purpose you found out about being your unconscious drive before you realized it? "behind the veil," hehe :) And yes, I intentionally quoted the whole post.

There is a quote from Goa Gil which really puts into words the way that I was feeling about this music, and I can't say it any better so here it is...

"We are sitting by the holy fire in Anjuna beach, Goa. The good thing about when we did come here and it was untouched, was that we created a lifestyle which was the best of the East and the West. We developed the concept of redefining the ancient tribal rituals for the 21st century and tried to use the party situation to uplift people’s consciousness through the trance-dance experience. It's nothing new, every tribal group since beginning of time has been practicing this thing. You know, use music and dance to evoke the cosmic spirit, and everyone would be rejuvenated and healed by that, and the earth also. We developed a similar idea that would be acceptable to the youth of today."

+ other previous posts!

Posford himself talked breifly about this topic in several interviews. To sum it up, he said he, and other psy producers he associated with, felt embarrassed being called gods and worshipped and such. He said he didn't intentionally put anything spirtitual into the music, but agreed that many people do seem to find something "mind-expanding" in the music. Obviously he's a person who's had quite a few psychedelic experiences himself, and he's discovered ways to "write" certain "common hallucinations" into musical phrases. But as others pointed out here, many other artists have achieved similar results. Posford does seem to be one of the best, however, as many people report having mystical experiences to his music. I can testify to having my mind blown equally by: Plastikman, FSOL, Jimi Hendrix, Aphex Twin, and Shpongle, of course. FSOL seemed to be the most psychedelic to me because of the emotions they weaved into their stuff so well. But Posford's stuff does take on new form when under the influence of psychedelics, and it's quite astounding. This is all subjective, though. A lot of people probably trip to Hallucingen's stuff because of his moniker title. And people listen to the music expecting something psychedlic, and this opens them to the experience. But these producers aren't gods, they're just people, albiet very talented. I think the whole Psytrance culture is just a resonance of psychedelic cultures throughout history. Our shamans wear different clothes, and the kick drum is made with magnets and electricity instead of deer skin and hollow logs; but the destination is the same place. Somewhere so far into the clouds and then deeper, into hyper-space just far enough to see what's really inside YOU! :D

:clapping:

What I am fascinated by much, much more is the "light" side of psychedelic music I don't see people talking about much...

The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is. .. who, and why, harder to answer. Meditate on this I will. - Yoda in Wishful Sinful -_-