Where does this all come from?!?!

Astrognomix

Alright, so I have been listening to music from this genre for more than a few years now... and I have but a few posts on this forum, though I have been reading it for quite a while, respecting the tastes of the frequent members and the overall expanse to my collection of psychedelic music....

Now I'm not a fan of the straight dark-psy nor the competition for the highest BPM possible that a lot of artists seem to subscribe to---it's really too much, and in some sense, it really is too dark. What I am fascinated by much, much more is the "light" side of psychedelic music I don't see people talking about much... How this music opens up one's mind (particularly under the influence...) to beautiful psychedelic experiences, perhaps only seen by those who are members of indigenous cultures of the past.

My question here, even my hypothesis... are we opening our reality to an expanded sense of consciousness particularly accessible through the use of hallucinogens? Humankind has been doing it for a long, long time, and from what I've experienced, this music is a big f*cking deal... I've never journeyed like when I've tripped listening to albums like Hallucinogen in Dub or Tales of the Inexpressible.... it's unreal. It disturbs me when people say things like "Simon is God," but at the same time, it's undeniable that these people have tapped into something beyond our comprehension, no?

Well.... just some thoughts, hope to hear yours, as these kinds of things are the stresses of our times, imo.

Peace and love,

-Harrison

it's really too much, and in some sense, it really is too dark. What I am fascinated by much, much more is the "light" side of psychedelic music I don't see people talking about much... How this music opens up one's mind (particularly under the influence...) to beautiful psychedelic experiences, perhaps only seen by those who are members of indigenous cultures of the past.

i love dark music

but dark psy just aint dark to me

Re-Opened on request by PieTones, and a promise to keep it on topic and no drug propaganda.

Discuss :D

Thank you!

I really think there is something here... I imagine most of the people that post in this forum have felt it, all in their own ways... but particularly the artists. Considering your request here I wont even say Ott's response when I asked him what it was that he tapped in to when bringing his music to the world...

Anyhoo... lots of psychedelic music feels almost ritualistic at this point, yet at the same time it's a genre which is, to me, at the front lines of this battle of subscribing to the system versus retaining our humanity... the music itself is almost criminalized by it's almost inherent association with psychedelia... makes me think of the sample in Hallucinogen/In Dub "if we go in we might learn something they don't know... and that makes us a little out of their control..."

What's this? A new person? I thought like I was the last one to joint this site. :P

jk

Well, I think there was a big discussion on isratrance about whether or not it should be considered even being called "darkpsy". It's mostly just full-on anyway right? I don't really know the difference much myself anyway. I'll listen to whatever.

As for the "lighter" side of the music in the genre, it's great. I mean, coming from someone who's never been tripped up on drugs, it still has some effects on my psyche that I would consider never being there if I was never to hear this music at all in my life. I just hope that artists will realize that it's not about making a certain kind of sound or use a certain beat all the time for their music but to expand their horizons and just explore what they can do with their talent/skill/whatever you want to call it. To use their minds as much as possible in "progressing" (I use that term lightly) in their own unique development.

Whether or not drugs helps them explore infinite possibilities or not us up in the air, I guess. I can see why it can inspire people's creativity.

My question here, even my hypothesis... are we opening our reality to an expanded sense of consciousness particularly accessible through the use of hallucinogens? Humankind has been doing it for a long, long time, and from what I've experienced, this music is a big f*cking deal... I've never journeyed like when I've tripped listening to albums like Hallucinogen in Dub or Tales of the Inexpressible.... it's unreal. It disturbs me when people say things like "Simon is God," but at the same time, it's undeniable that these people have tapped into something beyond our comprehension, no?

Ah well when I was a teen in the 90s I also believed that the music (what is called oldschool today) was made by gods or aliens (or both) and that was before I ever came close to psychedellic substances!! I really honestly could not imagine a human being making a track like AP - People Can Fly, it all seemed too fast, too layered, too complicated... That said, looking back, I think that this was more because I was an impressionable teenager than anything else. Also, actually fiddling around with some electronic music equipment kindof takes the magic out of it all, you realize that it's not THAT hard to do. I mean, I'm not saying it's easy either, but you realize that a lot of those tweaked out sounds are just random use of filters, LFOs and delays. Which doesn't mean that the artists behind aren't geniouses, but it all seems so "down to Earth" today compared to how I used to see this music a decade ago. Well, I guess the old saying is true: you should never meet your childhood heroes ;)

Ah well when I was a teen in the 90s I also believed that the music (what is called oldschool today) was made by gods or aliens (or both) and that was before I ever came close to psychedellic substances!!

i always thought oldschool somatics stuff was made by aliens :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV7vRgxM_vQ

You make psy sound like the second coming. Eventually alot of it will start sounding quite derivative and formulaic. I would say, that a good part of plain old trance/acid-trance is far more likely to induce a psychedelic experience than alot of psy, same goes with acid-house which is bouncy and hypnotic. I would say enjoy these other musical genres aswell because you may be missing out on some really good stuff.

Of course not to hack on psy, it is a very far reaching and broad genre and we should be thankful for that. It is to the point that we consider Shpongle to be psy, even though we have no real way of qualifying that statement other than to say Posford made it and he is a psy producer. Really Shpongle sounds to me to be two guys having a blast making whatever music they enjoy. Not the strict 4/4 pulse drum, screaming synths and multi-layers that typified goa.

I 100% agree with you. Goa/Psy is absolutely amazing, on the best of it I feel like I'm flying into a star :posford: I heard my first psy track 2 years ago and haven't touched another genre since!! For me its the highest form of music. If I close my eyes while listening to goa I can see all sorts of crazy visuals =p

For most people, goa/psy is just too weird and crazy I think, but if you like it, nothing compares. I've been trying to find music that gives me the same level of stimulation and I've found nothing :angry:

some more dark trippy stuff

OMG I had this track on an ooooold set from Manu Le Malin @ the Loveparade (back when they didn't ban hardcore from it...). It's always great to rediscover an old track you loved :)

Of course not to hack on psy, it is a very far reaching and broad genre and we should be thankful for that. It is to the point that we consider Shpongle to be psy, even though we have no real way of qualifying that statement other than to say Posford made it and he is a psy producer. Really Shpongle sounds to me to be two guys having a blast making whatever music they enjoy. Not the strict 4/4 pulse drum, screaming synths and multi-layers that typified goa.

that's probably because it is AMBIENT, not goa... :rolleyes:

OMG I had this track on an ooooold set from Manu Le Malin @ the Loveparade (back when they didn't ban hardcore from it...). It's always great to rediscover an old track you loved :)

that's probably because it is AMBIENT... :rolleyes:

Thats the thing, it really isn't even ambient. It isn't even downtempo much of the time as alot of it (and this is particularly the case with later Shpongle) features a fast paced beat. But you are missing my point, I was just attempting to show that psy encompasses a very broad spectrum, with a good portion of it being irrelevant to the original paradigm it was born within. This is particularly true with acts like Shpongle and Younger Brother, with whom I fail to see any link at all other than Posford and the idea that they are both psychedelic which is completely subjective.

cant be older than 1999 :)

original release : http://www.discogs.com/release/311265

repress : http://www.discogs.com/release/44286

cant be older than 1999 :)

original release : http://www.discogs.com/release/311265

repress : http://www.discogs.com/release/44286

hmmm that's odd cause the way I remember it, it was MUCH older than that... and hardcore was officially banned from the Loveparade in 1997... or maybe it was played at the Technoparade in Paris rather than the Loveparade? ah well I know I've already heard it SOMEWHERE in a live set many years ago, good tune nonetheless :)

For most people, goa/psy is just too weird and crazy I think, but if you like it, nothing compares. I've been trying to find music that gives me the same level of stimulation and I've found nothing :angry:

+1

Goa/Psy is THE trip

+3

Truth.

+1000000....

Also, in terms of genre definitions with electronic I'm not all that great.... besides that the names just confuse things... ambient, psy trance.. psytrance, psybient.... who really is the one who gets to label these types of music? and do the labels really matter?

I guess my point is that these guys have broken off from anything in music that's been done before and they are using giant magnets to mess with our brains, and that's freakin awesome... much better than any kind of music crying about being alone or serenading a loved one... they just want to help us to journey inside our minds. Someone said I make it sound like the second coming, and, honestly, anything that allows us to have psychedelic experiences really does help us to open our reality to a whole new world, wouldn't the acceptance of another reality, or a connection between body and soul really be somewhat of 'second coming'? I don't think the bible is trying to tell us another Jesus is gonna come and save us all... the metaphor very well could be opening ourselves to a new spiritual dimension. Anyways, I don't wholeheartedly subscribe to what I just said, but I think there is definitely "more to reality..." and this music, whatever label you put on it, points us in that direction, no doubt.

Also, in terms of genre definitions with electronic I'm not all that great.... besides that the names just confuse things... ambient, psy trance.. psytrance, psybient.... who really is the one who gets to label these types of music? and do the labels really matter?

It really doesn't matter. A label is just a tool with which people can group music, so people can create a better idea of what to expect of a musical piece and where to go to find music of a particular type. Usually it is useful, sometimes completely off the mark. Some people take the labeling a bit serious but we would be lost without it.

I guess my point is that these guys have broken off from anything in music that's been done before and they are using giant magnets to mess with our brains, and that's freakin awesome... much better than any kind of music crying about being alone or serenading a loved one... they just want to help us to journey inside our minds. Someone said I make it sound like the second coming, and, honestly, anything that allows us to have psychedelic experiences really does help us to open our reality to a whole new world, wouldn't the acceptance of another reality, or a connection between body and soul really be somewhat of 'second coming'? I don't think the bible is trying to tell us another Jesus is gonna come and save us all... the metaphor very well could be opening ourselves to a new spiritual dimension. Anyways, I don't wholeheartedly subscribe to what I just said, but I think there is definitely "more to reality..." and this music, whatever label you put on it, points us in that direction, no doubt.

I generally do agree with you, though I personally think that it isn't entirely new, alot of the older stuff in particular is alot like acid (and I don't at all think this is bad since acid is awesome). But I think psy as a whole rewards your type of thinking. The sole purpose of a good part of psy is to give you the best mind-fuck possible. This is a recipe for awesome and it allows producers alot of freedom in what to make, probably why it has expanded so broadly.

I generally do agree with you, though I personally think that it isn't entirely new, alot of the older stuff in particular is alot like acid (and I don't at all think this is bad since acid is awesome). But I think psy as a whole rewards your type of thinking. The sole purpose of a good part of psy is to give you the best mind-fuck possible. This is a recipe for awesome and it allows producers alot of freedom in what to make, probably why it has expanded so broadly.

There is a quote from Goa Gil which really puts into words the way that I was feeling about this music, and I can't say it any better so here it is...

"We are sitting by the holy fire in Anjuna beach, Goa. The good thing about when we did come here and it was untouched, was that we created a lifestyle which was the best of the East and the West. We developed the concept of redefining the ancient tribal rituals for the 21st century and tried to use the party situation to uplift people’s consciousness through the trance-dance experience. It's nothing new, every tribal group since beginning of time has been practicing this thing. You know, use music and dance to evoke the cosmic spirit, and everyone would be rejuvenated and healed by that, and the earth also. We developed a similar idea that would be acceptable to the youth of today."

well, simon posford is the only one that make me feel completely out of my head on psychadelia, hes been able to reach something in our heads that other producers dont even think about doing. He definitely understood something that every psy artist have to understand, otherwise, i really feel that the psymovement wont ameliorate, nowadays in the psy scene, i dont feel mind blowned anymore, there a few artist back then that was doing it, now i dont hear what i like from the old project. Even alien project were awesome back in the 90's, its sad, but the music is too digital not organic anymore, the thing i like about shpongle ans posford work in general, its the natural balance of sound, the balance of organic and digital sound, we get the feeling of some natural activation. In fact, its almost the only psy i listen nowadays.

g.m.s vs 1200 mics-the fourth revelation when you listen the last 3 minutes, its obvious that you dont get that anymore and i dont know why, but that is mind-expended music.

• 2 weeks later...

that's probably because it is AMBIENT, not goa... :rolleyes:

Well if u try to be an genre specific :rolleyes: well it already been said it's neither goa/psy or ambient its just some sort of psychedelic fusion electronica right?!

Anyways I believe a psychedelic experience can come through music and that it not something limited to psychedelic music. But I must say that the strongest experiences I have had was at psychedelic parties, but I think as much is has to with the music, it has had to with the people at the party, doing this ritual (in their own way). This common "feeling" or "psychological mass-effect" has to be the strongest for me, and no I'm talking about natural highs! Then the music of course, it has to have a hypnotic effect which some psy does well and other well, doesn't! So for me the mental aspect is as big as the musical!

• 1 month later...

listen to some 70s psy rock, and krautrock :)

of course music has been evolving, but psychedelic music is much older than Goa trance