1. Lunar Civilization (Pleiadians rmx)

2. Antonomasia (Lotus Omega rmx)

3. Daffy Duck (On the Comet)

4. Cerealogy

5. Pentagon

6. Classic Process (Hale-Bop)

7. Full Mental Jackpot (Etnica rmx II)

8. No more Single

Dat Records has officially released one of the most wanted albums in Psytrance ever. Finally after 10 years, cult classic and rare Pleiadian side project Crop Circles - Tetrahedron gets an official release! Re-Mastered by Tim Schuldt in 2008 and produced by 6 members: Andrea Rizzo, Carlo Paternò, Filippo Scrimizzi, Francesco D'Amato, Maurizio Begotti, Max Lanfranconi. These are the artists from Etnica, Pleiadians, and Lotus Omega in their prime, and they produced one of the sickest, most elaborate forms of psychedelic trance ever. Yes this is it. Tetrahedron has a cult following throughout the world. This is an album for those who love old school Pleiadian’s and maximal and/or high octane Psy/Goa trance/dance music in general. For those who like Pleiadian's and never heard this, you are in for a surprise, as samples seldom give justice to the whole peaces of the tasty pie that makes up Tetrahedron. The album appears more abstract than I.F.O., though less elegant and harmonious; it's more abrasive and appears just as layered. Actually, the album is aggressive, chaotic, bombastic, adrenaline inducing, and at times over-the-top. The following includes tracks I’ve never even heard before until this official release. The question is: How golden is the long awaited album from the golden days of Goa? A track-per-track review analysis ensues.

1. Lunar Civilization (Pleiadians rmx) launches the album with a strong remix of a famous psytrance super song. I’ve heard the original including Filteria’s fierce remix in 2006. This rare remix by the Pleiadian’s is excellent. Psy details are often in the background to the melody leads. They're creatively pulled to the front here, splashing around the melody leads like enhanced lights on a magical trip to wonderland. The main melody is great; it runs through numerous sections of development like a ninja cutting through bodies with an impenetrable sword. From an altered sound variation around 2:45 to key changes into the third minute, to a voice bit around 4:50, the song comes equipped with the classic Pleiadian influenced machine gun spinning melody from 5:42 into the sixth minute as well. The song is continuously involving. An interesting interlude takes place around 6:50 followed by a strong, echoing female voice; this is my favorite part of song. I love the combination of the music along with the mysterious, echoed female voice. I think the voice part should have been extended, as it’s quite catchy. Loaded with climax and intensity, the drums climb over a music vanishing moment in the final third, opening the door to streaming melodies that carry the vehicle to the closing finish. Monster track. A

2. Antonomasia (Lotus Omega rmx) introduces a deeper bass line and percussion than before; the melody/sound work is present behind the beat. Around 2:30, an infectious melody stream develops. Hi hats change up, echo and clatter, pan shifting across the speakers as fresh sounds emerge; the effect is startling, like cars moving out of the way for a more dynamic vehicle. A strong, non intense stream of euphoric sound compliments the atmosphere around 4:32. What’s great about this track is its ability to remain strong and catchy, without being chaotic and intense. Antonomasia is more elegant Goa/Psytrance than the previous fireball. I don’t find its leads or synth work as infectious. But the song’s structure and direction is innovative, interesting. More elaborate sound paragraphs are spotlighted over the sixth minute; the song becomes richer, more textured and layered as it progresses. By the seventh minute, several songs appear to be playing simultaneously, through innovative correlation; they’re all connected. They flow together extremely well. While the track isn’t as high octane, dance rocket as the previous number, it’s groovy, complex, intellectual, articulative, and a strong follow up to the previous, more ADD-styled number. Excellent track. A-

3. Daffy Duck (On the Comet) is a breather after the previous two weapons of destruction. The song isn’t bad but overall one of the less compelling colors of paint here. I find it missing a strong, infectious melody/sound rhythm or lead(s) to capture my senses. It starts out interesting, spacey and atmospheric, with altered/alien voices. It sounds like an ET ship is undergoing maintenance, attempting to charge up. The beginning is most certainly curious, and as the beat arrives into the first minute, things are pretty good. A streaming melody and various other sounds support relatively dance friendly beat. As the track progresses however, with a monotonous beat, percussion, and bass line, the melody alterations just don’t seem to do any cool tricks; they remain rather bland, as if they’re going through the motions as opposed to reinventing them, as previous tracks did. Several interludes drop the beat, lasting seconds before the general sound from before returns. Occasional melodies arrive. I must have heard this track at least ten times, when driving, exercising, home listening and more. It’s isn’t bad. It just doesn’t seem to have a star moment in its ten minute quest. Sure there’s some build up from 6:45 to 6:55. But the delivery doesn’t lift the music to new heights. Overall a decent track, my least favorite here so far. B-

4. Cerealogy is less intense than the first two numbers. It is however brooding, moody and strong, danceable. Beginning with an abundance of atmospheric psy sounds. The beat kicks in around 1:07. Within this upcoming jungle, a strong and deep melody carries the vehicle across numerous soundscapes as various sound bits trail the main melody lead. I find this number far more delectable, interesting, and gripping than the previous track. Loaded with sound sentences developing paragraphs so to speak. They come and go, often overlapping each other at times. The song’s only weakness may be its inability to climax. Nonetheless, I find the track more effective and roaming, groovy this way. Around 6:00 is the first major change up in sound; it’s as if a new track has begun. Sounds come into view more clear than before; the tempo seems to pick up. The rhythm feels more charged, aggressive as a loud booming sound rumbles through the noise via 6:57. By now several melody leads, none too loaded nor heavy lead the path through sn intriguing interlude, and an additional evolution around 7:35. Cerealogy becomes more driving, energetic, and absorbing as it progresses. It begins like a slow wind and develops into a debree wielding tornado, consuming everything in its path. The gradual development of this song is strong. While the execution isn’t spectacular to me, the end result is imaginative and catchy nonetheless. This is arguably the best not super intense track on the album. Great work! B+

5. Pentagon is one of, if not the most favored track here by general consensus. Personally I find it the best here along with the opening. But it will be interesting to see what others think. The original (non-mastered) version is no different here with exception to what appears to be improved mastering. The entire song has had a face lift so to speak. Taking place in a stormy, dystopian, though eclectic future, the craft rides into the darker, more atmospheric reaches of space or whatever mysterious world and/or environment this appears to take place on. The song takes a minute to dissolve its intro into groovy textures and bass lines. Hi hats are activated around 1:25. But this vehicle is just warming up. A rumbling, vibrating sound permeates throughout the land, a unique enhancement, like engines firing up. The first two minutes create build up. By 2:40 an infectious and powerful, driving sound rhythm begins. The vehicle's moving at a healthy speed; then suddenly decides to acquire a power pack around 3:22. Here, listeners are introduced to a super, cybernetic melody lead. It’s not ultra fast, but strong, screamingly infectious, quite literally, and abrasive! This pissed off, electrical current is soon joined by a more delightful melody lead, quite bubbly and colorful via 3:45. Both leads play off each other incredibly well until the more euphoric sound disappears in order to enhance the cybernetic capital. From 4:17 to 6:20 is quite possibly my favorite part of the song and the album. The abundance of Pleiadian melodies support the razor edge melody as it cuts through the atmosphere like a blade of death. The rest of the song is great, excellent. The atmospheric, melody/sound work and direction is refreshing throughout. This is my favorite track here if I had to pick one. It’s dark, innovative, and exciting, catchy. A

6. Classic Process (Hale-Bop) is a less intense driver after the previous beast. It’s interesting to hear a richly layered song that isn’t climax driven by these artists. The track takes some time to pick up; the organic, gargling voice effects I never found appealing or catchy. They become less present by 2:20 as the first strong melody lead and rhythm lifts off the vehicle around 3:30. The song isn’t overloaded with ideas, executions. A sweet tempo change up around 4:20 instigates a less linear structure; the song remains danceable. By 5:28 a fusion of melodies returns with additional Goa support, key changes, and more. Classic Process is less risky and over the top than super songs before it. However it maintains a strong, healthy boost of adrenaline without over stimulating the senses. Excellent track. A-

7. Full Mental Jackpot (Etnica rmx II) is another track with a history of remixes. The Pleiadian’s remix is stronger in my opinion, beginning very emotive and ethereal before engaging into a heavy and intense number; it's really the same track with more sounds, intensity. The Etnica remix here begins interesting enough. Many elements appear remixed and in some ways the song is more building, less intense and over-the-top climax dependent than the Pleiadian remix. This version gradually develops, evolving quite well and picking up some serious energy into the third minute, especially around 3:42. Here the vehicle shifts into high gear; it’s excellent. The song becomes a strong and fierce, driving rhythm, as little alien and/or animalistic sounds fly by and chirp past the beat like a conscious missile passing through a psychedelic rainforest. Both the fourth and fifth minute nail the build/climax petal after sustaining buildup. Energy is gained around 5:05. These parts are catchy; they're a pleasure to listen to. Past 5:30 however, numerous musical segment’s take place that are less rocket boosting. Sure there’s a sweet build up from 6:28 to 6:40, but the end result leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the Pleiadian remix. Nonetheless, those who appreciate less intense and/or climax driven songs may appreciate this remix more. Furthermore, the version here was remixed in Etnica's prime; a group known for producing some of the best electronic music of all time, at least around the time they produced two Pleiadian albums, this one, the cult classic Alien Protein release, and a little super something/album called The Juggling Alchemist Under the Blacklight. While this isn't my favorite Full Mental Jackpot version, I feel that is one of the better Crop Circles remixes and an overall strong, dance friendly track. Great work. A-

8. No more Singles is my second to least favorite track on the album after Daffy Duck. But this is far more interesting and unique in architecture, design. It’s a relatively slow, non-intense mid-tempo number. Produced with a different, mechanical sound than previous songs. I initially found that it lacked a hook, a stand out element to carry it strong. The more I listened, and over time, the more I began to feel less uptight with the experimental style and approach that had me feeling uncertain. By focusing on that emotion I simply amplified it, thus remaining in a confused, self-absorbed and unclear state. For starters, the spiraling melody and rhythm around 1:31 is catchy. A second strength is the evolution from 4:01 forward, and the new moves acquired as the vehicle moves into its fifth minute. Eventually the high pitched melody approach is a hit-and-miss for me; sometimes I find it too much as the track progresses, other times it's alright. But the driving rhythm and speed, especially up into the eighth minute forward is pretty sweet. The song could have used some real atmosphere to give it more of a surreal, planetary identity; Crop Circles seemed intent on making a real unemotional and futuristic number when producing No More Singles. Currently I prefer Celeano and Seven Sisters, the closing tracks on both old school Pleiadian albums over the closing track here. But it will be interesting to see what others think. You decide! B

In conclusion, Tetrahedron is the rare and re-mastered, finally released side project by the artists behind one of the greatest album’s ever produced in psytrance by general consensus: I.F.O. Those who’ve heard I.F.O. and/or F.O.L. will be familiar with the crazy, psychedelic style of Crop Circles. The album takes time to process and absorb due to its heavy amount of details and layers. Tetrahedron is extremely psychedelic, intricate, developed, atmospheric, powerful, and more or less dark and/or intense depending on the track. Super songs include Lunar Civilization, Pentagon, and more. This is quite possibly the biggest and overall most nostalgic surprise of Psy/Goa-Trance, 2008. If I were to compare it to Pleiadian’s I.F.O., I’d say that I.F.O. was more elegant and fluid in transitions, for starters; this is more rough and chaotic overall. Personally I like I.F.O. more. Nonetheless, this is a super extension from two landmarks albums in electronica: I.F.O. and F.O.L respectively. I don’t care for Daffy Duck very much, a breather in a sense before stronger track Cerealogy. I prefer Cerealogy and Classic Process in that regard. Naturally it will be interesting to see what other people think of every track here, who favors what, etc.

Tetrahedron is one of the most labyrinthine, maximal Psytrance album’s ever produced. It took six members to complete and has won a plethora of praise and desire to attain over the years for its distinct sound/style and intermediate sound engineering, production and imagination. Furthermore, it’s extremely danceable. I’m surprised that this album was never officially released before. If I were to note two weaknesses, I’d say the album has its non superb tracks and after hearing I.F.O., I thought that anything these artists touched would turn to gold, though this album is considered golden, classic by many listeners. Second, a remix or two here I find very entertaining, but I don’t love them as much as other variations, i.e: Full Mental Jackpot (Etnica Remix II) for instance. But that’s me. Fortunately, the remixes are strong and remixed by the same artists who created the originals, Pleiadian’s and Etnica. Tetrahedron has been one of the most wanted albums in Psytrance; if we were to say “never released” it would probably be number one. Overall this is a great album with several of the best Psytrance songs ever made on it. I want to add that this is a nighttime album; it’s good to dance, drive, and exercise too, or just listen to on good head phones, etc, shutting the eyes and getting lost in, visualizing, whatever. Starring at the computer screen while listening to this is probably a bad idea and will distract from the greatness and fun, as the album is super energetic. I want to thank Dat Records, DJ Draeke, and everyone else involved for giving this a proper release after all these years.

Favorite tracks - 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7.

A-

Sample / Order

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/dat/dat1cd001.html

Saikosounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7678

Beatspace: http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=4665

Wirikuta: http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detai...owDetail=213009

Tower: http://www.tower.com/tetrahedron-crop-circ.../wapi/113079183

Goastore: http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=2784

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the review is awesome and the final mark is super!!!

I love every bit of the release but i admit daffy duck and antonomasia are a bit weaker than the rest, but that is my taste of course. I only disagree about no more singles, the new mastering transformed it into a psychedelic stormer, you will hear!

Thanks again Jon !!!

After first time listening, first things first: It's not IFO2, the style is a lot different. Now that we have that covered the rest has already been spoken by Cocco and let me quote

The album takes time to process and absorb due to its heavy amount of details and layers. Tetrahedron is extremely psychedelic, intricate, developed, atmospheric, powerful, and more or less dark and/or intense depending on the track.

And some of the basslines are incredibly thick and awesome! (Looking at you, Daffy Duck <3)

Tetrahedron is a release that is unique to the last second. Intelligent, moody and very psychedelic piece of Goa-goodness

I just got it today. I haven't been "in the know" about it for years like a lot of people, so only just recently did I learn of it's legendary status. And like most things that are incredibly hyped, it didn't entirely live up to the hype for me. It was good, though. I give it a solid B.

I got it in the same mailing as Ra's 9th, and in my opinion 9th blew away Tetrahedron.

Classic Process (Hale-Bop) is excellent. I didn't realize how how well done it was until I let some time go by and listened to it again. Especially while driving at nighttime; it really sets the mood. I'd say it's one of the best non-remixed tracks here along with Pentagon.

Unfortunately I never heard the original Antonomasia. So I can't compare it to the remix, though based on the remix here I'd probably enjoy the original. Of the more known remixes, I'd take Lunar Civilization (Pleiadians rmx) over Full Mental Jackpot (Etnica rmx II) without question. Both the original and the remix here of Lunar Civilization are strong, rare gems in Psytrance.

• 3 weeks later...

What can i say, this CD is phenomenal, i really have to eat up my words, since i was very sceptic towards this release when it was first talked about some time ago here on psynews, i had only heard the tracks that where floating around. The mastering really made these tracks come alive and sparkle, if i would have to be picky about the mastering, there is some noise in some tracks that can be heard when not all layers are on (in intros etc) probably from the mixing desk the crop circles guys where using at the time, that could have been easily removed by Tim Schuldt with a denoiser/noise gate. But thats not something that i care for really, the important thing here is the music :)

Fav tracks so far: Antonomasia (Lotus Omega Remix), Pentagon, Full Mental Jackpot (Etnica Remix II), Lunar Civilization (Pleiadians Remix).

I love the deep kick drum in Antonomasia :drama: :posford:

The aliens must have tryed some Ergot when they landed on the fields, because these are some trippy alien tracks :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

This one of the best pieces of music ever created.

I also heard a couple of the track years ago in wav... but wasnt really that impressed.

...nowadays i concider this a masterpiece. Tim really did justice to this release... and what a splendid job.

awesome that so many people liked it, makes me really happy once again!

don't worry anyway, more stuff boiling in the dat rec labs :P

so to please even other tastes but always in the oldschool department

awesome that so many people liked it, makes me really happy once again!

don't worry anyway, more stuff boiling in the dat rec labs :P

so to please even other tastes but always in the oldschool department

Good news indeed, you have set the bar quite high with your labels debut release hehe ;-) would be cool with a compilation/VA with only unreleased gems.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

Artist: Crop Circles

Title: Tetrahedron

Label: DAT Records

Released: 19th December 2008

Tracklist

1 Lunar Civilization [Pleiadians Remix] (10:47)

2 Antonomasia [Lotus Omega Remix] (9:36)

3 Daffy Duck [On The Comet] (10:01)

4 Cerealogy (10:22)

5 Pentagon (9:03)

6 Classic Process [Hale-Bopp] (9:14)

7 Full Mental Jackpot [Etnica Remix II] (9:28)

8 No More Singles (10:21)

DAT Records the label opened up by Draeke during late last year (2008) with the intention of releasing oldschool Goa Trance music previously available only on DAT. DAT Records’ first release is Crop Circles – Tetrahedron and what a first release for a record label. The sort of release that is such high quality that it has you aching for more to come out. The joint project of Etnica/Pleiadians and Italians Lotus Omega had some E.P.s released way back in 1996 & 1997 on Auracle Recordings the label went bankrupt before the album could see the light of day. More than a decade later that album has been found, dusted off and given a fancy new shine having been remastered by Tim Schuldt. The result is everything you could possibly hope for, fantastic oldschool sounds with up to date masterful mastering.

This is a very psychedelic, spacey journey with lots of harsh abrasive and acidic sounds that never sound unpleasant. There are melodies & synths galore and in many of the tracks the number of different sounds used and the changes in the melodies is fantastic. In Antonomasia (Lotus Omega Mix) there must be over 10 different melodies throughout the track. Some of the tracks are not as melodic as others but all have that spacey extra-terrestrial feel to it that always made me get goosebumps when I first got into Goa all those years ago. Of course after listening to so much this could never have the same impact but it does give me so many nostalgic feelings. None so more than Full Mental Jackpot (Etnica Remix II) which I think is a great remix of one of my favourite tracks that I used to dance & dance too while going absolutely crazy.

As with many oldschool albums this is incredibly layered and what I hear on my 10th listen was quite different from what I heard on my 1st and probably on the 100th listen it will still surprise me. Listen to Classic Process (Hale-Bopp) allow the melodies to wash over you and focus on the dimension of sound that lies behind, it’s vast and incredibly beautiful.

This is a twisted brain scrambling album that will have you gibbering in joy in no time. When listening to Pentagon with no distractions I can actually feel reality shift sideways so that everything seems just slightly wrong, a very trippy feeling.

There are a few different versions of this going round on with a yellow fluorescent jewel case, one with a light green one and another with a dark green case. All come with a gold CD which combined with the slick artwork on the cover gives this release a very high quality look that goes very well with such high quality music.

Thank you DAT Records and I hope to see a lot more releases from you in the future.

Track By Track

1. Lunar Civilisation (Pleiadians Remix)

This is pretty much everything you’d expect from a track by Etnica & Lotus Omega remixed under the Pleiadians name. It’s energetic, trippy and has lots and lots of great synths. These synths have a really sharp acidic edge that seems to cut downwards through the melodies which also have a sharp acid like quality to them. They move & shift about through the whole track with the melody twisting from sharp acid to wet and squelchy old school hyperspace rushing passed on every side kind of style. This is a great track to really get you excited and anticipating the rest of the album. Although over 10 minutes in length I think it would be impossible to get bored while listening to this, the progression, the subtle key changes & twists & turns make for an interesting ride from beginning to end.

2. Antonomasia (Lotus Omega Mix)

A weird sound like an alien yawning & straight into a beat, another yawn and the bassline kicks in. The melody joins shortly after and the alien sound twists into a synth line lying in the background. The track slowly picks up more elements, sharper synths, sci-fi melodies and weird trippy sounds along the way into one intense aural sensation. The number of melodies that play along the way is quite impressive, different styles of melody from clever synth lines to twisted high pitched mayhem. This is nearly 10 minutes long and with the melodies changing so much throughout that they must clock up at least double digits. Great stuff.

3. Daffy Duck (On The Comet)

This has a strange start with a weird sample that may or may not come from a popular cartoon. It is twisted enough to be indiscernible but very, very trippy, have it come on when you are coming down off a hard night sat in you most comfortable arm chair & it will have you sweating acid from your eyeballs. Very much helping this, the synth line that follows which always seems to be rising but forever stays at the same level like M.C. Escher’s Castle Stairs. The melody half way through becomes quite high pitch & piercing so that it feels really penetrative. I really enjoy with this kind of music melodies and synths that can stab you in the head and mince your brains. The wet sounds at the end just manage to rub the minced brains around for added effect. Great!

4. Cerealogy

After a start where everything seems to shuffle around each other the beat comes in with one of those beautiful Goa beats that just refuses to mix with anything else. The beat that is steady for 8 beats then skips a little then is steady for 12 skips a little again has and tiny little roll then keeps steady just long enough for you to attempt blending it with something else on for it to skip & roll just at the worst possible moment. Although it may be a DJ’s nightmare (or challenge depending on your attitude) it is always very nice to listen to on an album. Combine these cool beats with clever key changes with the bass and nice synth lines you get a cool spacey acid track with brain scrambling ability.

5. Pentagon

The start of the track feels a little darker than the previous tracks, with some sounds like the wind blowing around in the background and little horror clicks under the synth line. The wind warps a lot in the first few minutes until it sounds less earth bound and more like how I imagine solar wind to sound like in other dimensions where sound is much more of a priority. The beats of course come in and a very active synth line that really breathes life into the track. The melodies fly about in a very other worldly manner & while the other tracks always gave me a deep hyperspace feeling on this one I feel like I am on a planet of sorcerers with their twisted magic filling the air at unfathomable speeds. This is a great track, very colourful, energetic and head twisting, especially in the final run where everything feels like it has been shifted sideways & reality is not all as you expected it to be.

6. Classic Process (Hale-Bopp)

This one starts with a much lighter, high pitched sounds flittering about like a glow bug running around on the floor in front of me. A strange whoosh seems to bring more and more before the whole of the ground is covered in dancing light. This dancing inevitably leads to a danceable rhythm & when the beat comes in the bassline jumps up & down like a proper party track. This track definitely has the most dance floor energy of all the tracks on the album but it also has enough psychedelica for the average home listener. I particularly like this track on headphones when I am out and about at night as it seems darker when you have the background sounds pushed so close. The melodies are nice but look passed the melodies and there is a whole other dimension of sound to enjoy.

7. Full Mental Jackpot (Etnica Remix II)

Ahhhhh, Full Mental Jackpot a track with such great memories attached to it. Even though it’s remixed I can’t help but get the feeling of dancing on a Thai beach under the stars for hours & hours surrounded by so many people having the same kind of religious experience from the music. That was the first time I heard this, when some unknown DJ played in the middle of a beach party with such mental music as to make everyone go crazy. The synths, the melodies the little runs of psychedelic madness that fall down like acid rain onto the partiers as they get more & more worked up and more & more of their stress is released and their good vibes are released into the atmosphere helping other people work themselves into a crescendo of joyous energy. The melody in the final quarter is just magnificent and feels like an orgasmic release. A great remix of a near perfect track.

8. No More Singles

Ten minutes of twisted alien psychedelic madness to round us off with and what a great 10 minutes it is. The sounds jump about in a sporadic yet strangely ordered way. The beats are again beautifully unmixable (for me) and the melodies fly about as if not tethered to anything. I don’t quite like this track as much as the rest of the album but that doesn’t mean it is not a fantastic track, because it is, it’s just that the rest of the album is so mind blowingly amazing!! Still it’s a nice way to round off a fantastic album, this track has those falling synth lines that so often heralded the end of old school albums but uses them in tandem with rising melodies and wet acid noises. The overall effect is that the album is winding down but still encouraging the listener to give it another whirl.

• 2 months later...

Going back to this with my new headphones, I forgot how damn moody this album is. It's not on par with IFO and how that one makes me feel like I'm not even listening to music, but it's damn close. Cerealogy always takes me back to the crop circle area nighttime which was caused by the pleiadian landing on earth. Pentagon makes me see scientists enter the mysterious Pleiadian spaceship, hearing all the strange noises that are coming from the ship and while they're at it, discovering something that shouldn't have been discovered. Sounds dumb but I always get these images in my head when I listen to it.

I dont get how this was supposed to be a major release but even the psynews review topic is so small..

I dont get how this was supposed to be a major release but even the psynews review topic is so small..

Often releases that spur a lot of contrast in opinions (hate/love) get many replies. This is one of those albums that are 1) hard to put in words by many, it's time taking task to write a review for many non english natives. 2) loved by almost everyone. You like this but see someone already posted your thoughts - what's there to add than simple "+1" really.

My quickie review: Recommended if you like complex melodic music.

• 3 months later...

Bump for awsomeness! B) I have been listening non stop to this album, and the Pentagon track and Cereaology.. amazing visuals in my mind when i listen to them :D Its perfect music to listen to in headphones while laying in the bed almost sleeping, and the brain wakes up spinning around in your head!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, No More Singles. It's like an aural movie. Alien spaceship fleet moving towards earth, the camera takes us insides of the ship showing us all the non-human designs and what the aliens have in store for us. Such a dark and alien mood. I love it - I love it.

Every time I put this CD on I feel kind of glad for never making an adequate transition to any new school/modern psy trance.

My opinion is that "Tetrahedron" would make a fair 90% of my post 1999 psy trance purchases seem redundant. That is how good I consider it to be.

No offense meant to anybody, naturally, but I seriously lack vocabulary and ideas to shape a more insightful and competent review.

There is so much quality squeezed here I don't hold it's necessary to emphasize what's so great about this release. However, Pentagon, Classic Process and No More Singles rank among the best pieces of psychedelic trance I have ever heard. Pentagon is such a furious avalanche of melodies and acid synths it drives me nuts time after time. Classic Process has the most insane breaks I've heard in the genre, with an out of this world climax, while the closing track tells a thousand stories in just ten minutes.

The rest doesn't fall far behind, but the three tracks I listed above are stone cold classics in my book, well worth being added to your Crop Circles legacy!

Overall, the album is rhythmically well structured, the layering is thick, the melodies are dense and complex, and even when the music avoids relying on massive climaxes, the impressive vault of sound effects used are bound to send your frame orbiting around the planet. Great achievement.

• 1 year later...

Posted Image

Artist: Crop Circles

Title: Tetrahedron

Label: DAT Records

Date: December, 2009

1 Lunar Civilization [Pleiadians Remix] (10:47)

2 Antonomasia [Lotus Omega Remix] (9:36)

3 Daffy Duck [On The Comet] (10:01)

4 Cerealogy (10:22)

5 Pentagon (9:03)

6 Classic Process [Hale-Bopp] (9:14)

7 Full Mental Jackpot [Etnica Remix II] (9:28)

8 No More Singles (10:21)

I love it when another Psynewser does good. Anoebis and Mars of course created Suntrip, Richpa is currently creating the mother of all new school goa trance portals, Imba and the UAF label have been consistently releasing some great variety in goa trance for free, and don't forget Filipe Santos and his many projects. DAT Records was opened up by Draeke during September 2008 with the attempt of releasing old school Goa Trance music that was previously available only on DAT. As of this date, they have 3 outstanding albums to their credit from old school masters. This was their first one and what an ambitious project it was. Tetrahedron, the mythical album that was thought to be lost was rediscovered and given a new life. This was done by the Etnica/Pleiadians/Lotus Omega group of artists and it has been long sought after. Mastered by Tim Schuldt this classic has been given some fresh paint and a new engine to shine for today. I had never heard these tracks so this was going to be like running downstairs on Xmas morning at the crack of dawn and seeing all the gifts and their glory waiting to be unwrapped.

Lunar Civilization [Pleiadians Remix]- Synths dance amidst spacey effects as one melody grinds out its metallic path. 3.5 minutes in the goa is flying while key changes make the direction unsure, but at 9 minutes that tell-tale melody shoots out frolicking with lasers and the driving beat. I like how intense this was and that it wasn't until the very end that the recognizable melody surfaced. This track is full steam ahead with a hard edge to it. So sweet.

Antonomasia [Lotus Omega Remix]- This one has a lot of twists and turns with one melody giving way to another while at the same time not being very...melodic. The amount of melodies is hard to calculate as they don't stay long. This one didn't thrill me as it seems unfocused. I prefer the original.

Daffy Duck [On The Comet]- The outer space feel is palpable at the outset with a robotic voice and streaks zipping by. Groovy. The beat picks up and the melodies begin to combine as the track grows. It slinks, hides and then before you know it sounds are coming from all over the place. The sinister character of this track makes it a delight with one melody cascading over another. Lovely.

Cerealogy- A spacecraft takes off from a dark planet and checks his status. The bass bounces in and becomes very liquid. Lasers fly by and graze the craft, as a small melody sneaks in amidst the alien chaos. Although the melodies are light on this one, it more than makes up for it in atmosphere. When the craft is finally brought down with a sonic blast from a laser cannon, the alien makes its way through the wreckage. Acid emanates from its cold fingertips at 6 minutes dissolving all it touches. It's coming. Old school, dark goatrance is what this is. Very tasty!

Pentagon- The alien has stealthily made it to the outpost disguised as soldier lurking in the corners of the base just within the shadows. 303's flash in a barely contained barrage as the bass bubbles. In no time melodies slide forward creating such a dark atmosphere. Insanely psychedelic layers! It just builds and builds...superb track!

Classic Process [Hale-Bopp]- soft synths bleep and blop like sentient computer spirits. The alien effects continue to pile on and that 303 can no longer be contained. It bounces, soars, dives...man these guys know how to build a track. Key changes, temporary disappearance of the key melody, all part of the magic. The final bit is a goa tour de force!

Full Mental Jackpot [Etnica Remix II]- Who doesn't know the original, possibly one of their greatest tracks. Floating pads and a lead right out of early 70's psychedelia is supplanted by a big kick. Oh man 303 madness reigns, and they just started! A quasi break allows for momentum gathering as the lead grows in volume and intensity. It gurgles and I just defy you not to dance to this. With one final lead change it is truly a groovy track. There is such great interweaving of lead sounds here. Very good remix.

No More Singles- Gated metallic leads hover above a kick as a bassline dances. Leads growl as synthlines rise and fall. Alien noises join with goa leads in psychedelic harmony. As others have said this isn't the best track on the album, but it is still so devious and juicy with a sinister undertone.

When I first began going through all the tracks I wrote my review as an unfolding story. After reading it over, it came off as silly and corny. Not only that, every science fiction movie cliche was represented. But that is what this music did to me. It told a great story that never wavered from the underlying alien theme. This music is melodic old school dark goa trance. It is driving and emotional with great track construction. Let's face it, these are THE GODFATHERS of old school goa. Anyone who makes goa trance today would be lying to you if they said they did not get inspiration from these individuals. This cannot be more highly recommended and I encourage you to seek this one out. Big thanks goes to DAT records for helping this classic see the light of day and to Tim Schuldt for making it sound fabulous.

Mdk

• 1 month later...

Every time I put this CD on I feel kind of glad for never making an adequate transition to any new school/modern psy trance.

My opinion is that "Tetrahedron" would make a fair 90% of my post 1999 psy trance purchases seem redundant. That is how good I consider it to be.

Well it is pretty hard to make that transition after witnessing the depth and complexity of old school goatrance. Full-on and the likes are just so shallow, boring, predictable, cheesy when compared and on top of it all, hardly psychedelic. This album is close to being the epitome of that complexity and depth in goatrance. Just listen to Ceralogy, the amount of layers is ridiculous.

Sometimes it just randomly hits me what a feat it was to get this thing released. It was a crime that people couldn't hear these tracks back in the 90s. If it had been released in 98 and this thing had a normal review thread, it would be easily over 5 pages and would be hailed as undeniably a goatrance classic by many. Also I would guess the price would be through the roof. Draeke you fukken rock.

• 3 weeks later...

It's an extremely good release. The Pleiadains remix of Lunar Civilization alone would justify...well everything.

+1, I thought that the album was really good when I first listened to it. Clear favourites being the lunar civilizations remix and Pentagon, but over time, I've grown to love Classic Process and the Full Mental Jackpot remix as well. And it's still growing on me... Maybe, in comparison to say IFO, this album isn't that obvious at first, but it definitely is topclass scifi goa with an incrdible atmosphere throughout the album. Highly recommended.

• 1 year later...

This is just juicy layered alien sky ripping planet hopping rocket fuel wasting dairy free dark and crunchy goa ambrosia.

It's a mixture of the layered melodic stuff along with the psychedelic tech-heavy sound. Oftentimes in the same track. Sign of a good release if you can continue to come back to it.

They don't make music like dis no mo!

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...

I have been asked by various people where is it possible to buy an original copy of tetrahedron. Since at the moment i am out of stock at DAT Records (i will eventually check in the basement in the future to see if by odd chances there are still some) I would advise you to check these options to buy your copy:

http://www.ebay.co.u...on&LH_PrefLoc=2

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B001MIVTYA

http://www.discogs.c...release/1573843

http://www.goastore....etrahedron.html

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7857348

there may be other copies for sale on other nation's websites for amazon and ebay but this is roughly where i'd advise you to go to buy a copy or two of this release that still holds a special place in my heart as the first release I ever did with DAT Records :)

• 2 weeks later...