tribal industrial

lumpi

Have you heard the new Ulf album "Inland"? So fucking good, he is a master. For tribal stuff (some of this is more on the dark ambient side but its all kinda industrial-y) I like Herbst9, Geomatic, Vasilisk, Rukkanor, Flint Glass, Wychdoktor, Raison d'etre side project Svasti-ayanam, Exotoendo, Inner Vision Laboratory - Spellbound EP (his stuff is great but that ep specifically is super tribal), Maculatum, Phelios, and FLA Vector & Tribal AD for a less good This Morn Omina vibe. Also I recommend my own stuff cause i've got a lot of tribal bits, def influenced by Ulf and TMO

https://wormsoftheearth.bandcamp.com/

• 9 months later...

oh hi ... almost missed this thread

Yes I have heard Inland ... and at the same time I feel a bit sad that this album was released in such small quanitites and only for the CMI night ... which I could not attend - which makes me frown even more, because Ulf Söderberg played live there (so I read) ... and he doesn't make many gigs anymore...
But Ulf's a genius ... period.

The other recommendations were good, one sticks out, I get to it later. The point, though, is, that I actually am not that much of an "ambient guy" ... I think I have a problem with electronic ambient ... I can take it, but not too much of it, there are only few exceptions. Ulf was one. His ambient didn't make me sad, it was a clarifying, comforting sound ... with accents of warmth due to the real instruments that he used. And here's the point: I like ambient with real instruments ... the more ancient these are and the more heritage these got, the better. Wardruna for example ... they use lots of norse instruments and I can't get enough of it. But when the ambient is all electronic, it's kinda hard to take for me. Carbon Based Lifeforms for example, once my favourite ambient band, now only make me sad when I hear them ... I can't help myself ... it has become as depressing as dark ambient - yet maybe dark is even better because for me it's not tied to feelings of love or care but only to cold emptiness. The stuff is simpler to grasp and maybe even surprising when there's still cheerfulness to be discovered ... where in psybient it's mostly the other way round for me these days. I never thought I'd say it once, but I really _can not_ hear too much of that electronic psy-ambient sound anymore as it drags me down mentally and I don't get these noises and depressing melodies out of my head for days. Want to avoid that... So really, the electronic ambient artists that I like have dwindled to a handful of specialities...

On 10/16/2018 at 11:15 PM, winterelegy said:

FLA Vector & Tribal AD

Here, that's the one that sticks out. So good! You're right it's like a light version of tmo in some way, but I like the industrial roughness. I do like this type of powerful sounds ... recently got into Ah Cama-Sotz ... knew him for a long time, but only got into it recently:

That, however, sets the tone for a different genre. I am looking for tribal here.

• 1 year later...

there's a new one by This Morn Omina, it's called The Roots of Saraswati ... bloody awesome, but don't be fooled by the indian title suggesting it might be peaceful, it's dark and intense and mysterious, just like good whisky -_-

I'm not fully through yet, but here's a playlist:

• 8 months later...
On 1/28/2022 at 5:34 PM, DoktorG said:

Thanks so much for the This Morn Omina recommendation RTP - I love it!

:wub:

I am overjoyed that I was able to recommend them to you ^_^

Yes, Heilung are well known to me, it's a great band.

You nailed it with Nytt Land though ... awesome, thanks. I'm happy to see they're on Napalm Records ... good stuff from the Iron Mountain that is :+1:

• Like 1

Yes, I've been buying from Steinklang and Napalm records for many years as I listen to a bit of industrial and atmo black metal/dungeon synth (Summoning, that kind of thing), amongst many other genres.  

Nytt Land's Ritual is readily available in all formats; quite big soft bass on this album, but a good recording nevertheless. There are still vinyl copies of previous album Cvlt available from https://www.kontaktaudio.com/ if you are into vinyl. I'm listening to it right now and the sound is good. Very difficult to find this vinyl elsewhere. 

PS - I don't mind the odd wee dram myself; more of a sherry bomb lover than an Island lad - it is a bit warm here for maritime malt. 

PPS - I suppose Muslimgauze must be one of the oldest industrial tribal/tribal industrial outfits. 

On 1/31/2022 at 8:48 AM, DoktorG said:

(Summoning, that kind of thing)

Nice ... I'm a big fan of Summoning.
I think the only one I like more are Finntroll -- different style, I know...

Just curious ... do you have a connection to Austria? Because the two labels you mentioned are from there aswell ... as are Summoning...

I do like vinyl a lot, but I am not buying metal records ... if I ever start with that, there won't be no end ... I am now in a phase where I rather tend to reduce my stash and although I'll keep my vinyl, I try to buy less.

Of that "viking tribal stuff" (that's what I call it, the Heilung / Wardruna corner) I can also strongly recommend Danheim, Heldom and Skald and also Munknörr ... and if you go further down that road, you will eventually reach the borderline territory where it blends into folk with for example Ochelie Soroki and also such as Hedningarna ... but if you are after industrial vibes, that is completely the other end of the spectrum as I would say -- I think these bands don't even use synth anymore at all.

That was pretty much my distilled version of a month-long expedition into these realms ... only thing that's left is I could recommend you more poppy stuff, but tell me if you'd like that...

...speaking of distilling ... where have you been hiding, I know pretty much nobody on here who ever used the word "sherry bomb" in a single posting ... nevertheless, my heart belongs to the Islay drams, the smokier the better :)

I'm a vinyl fiend (analogue is my first love; I build my own tube amps) so in the absence of Goa on vinyl (I have almost all the first wave Goa I want on vinyl) I went over to the dark side :ph34r:. Yeah, I admit it, I buy metal on vinyl (though metal is weird; unlike Goa where I like a lot of it, I dislike most metal). But I completely hear you about limiting one's obsession and controlling the budget. I manage it not by limiting genre, but by limiting edition - I will only buy first edition lps, not reissues (very few remasters sound as good as first editions - there's a lot of technical reasons why, though they become questionable in the digital era). That's the way I dice it. Lots of other legit ways to do it...

I'm super happy to see that some psychill and trance is making it to vinyl as part of the vinyl resurgence - oh dear, wallet damage... At the moment I'm trying to decide which Solar Fields I should get (only got the first one on vinyl so far and it is a good pressing and mastering job). 

Thanks for the Viking recommends - I know Skald and Finntroll, but will look into the others. At the moment I'm more into dungeon synth than folky vibes; I'm enjoying Old Sorcery presently. There's a zone where some early electronica (Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk) actually sounds quite similar to ambient techno and trance which resembles some dungeon synth - they are all keyboard-based music styles so the instrument starts to determine the music it seems. 

I've only been to Innsbruck and Vienna once - loved it I have to say. Seemingly a bit of a conservative country, but lovely people nevertheless and the mountains... I'm a  mountain lover and walking in the Alps was just heavenly. Whereabouts are you located? I've never seen so much tobacco smoking in my whole life though - that amazed me.

Speaking of which, I prefer other means of imbibing smoke than whisky, but I hear you. In a cold climate those Islay malts really warm up the bits that are chilly. I think Lagavulin is my favourite, but there's a Bunnahabhain 18 that's really good too. 

Have a nice day! 

Great input right here @DoktorG -- we do not yet have a Dungeon Synth thread. I'm gonna make one! This stuff interests me aswell ^_^ ... and yes, 100% agree on the similar vibe of early electronic artists. Gonna elaborate it more in the other thread :+1:

Edit: thread created https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/77132-dungeon-synth-thread/

As for the vinyl remark ... you know, I had the idea (and I am still sticking to it, it's still alive) to make an EP release of new music ... stuff that never made it to pressing ... and I already had spotted the first track by Magnetrixx. But luck left us - he pretty much vanished and I can't contact him anymore (and I mean, I really tried, contacted his company and whatnot ... I guess if I do any more I become a stalker and that wouldn't be good) ... anyway, I'll still stick to that idea, I want an EP :)

If you dig Finntroll, let me know ... I had a pretty in-depth expedition into metal to find similar stuff, I love the humppa vibe. Nothing comes close to them though.

I am from Vienna. The lower mountains are just an hour's drive away though (well, maybe make it two hours if you stay legal) ... mountains are awesome ... and I like Austria a lot, it's a beautiful country, but the minds of people tend to be a bit narrow - and sometimes also simple - around here, if I wanna be honest. It is not necessarily always bad though, there is a connection to nature and the "old ways" present that can be healthy and even comforting or heartwarming - and fortunately that is the case sometimes.

Lagavulin 16 is my favourite, although I am rather enjoying the cheaper ones for monetary reasons - Laphroaig mostly. I'm also an Ardbeg fan, I used to smuggle that stuff in on Goa parties and also on Metal concerts ... the taste reminds me of good times :)
But Bunnahabhain is good aswell. I have not had any bad Islay'er yet. Even the cheaper stuff from there is top (Finlaggan for example).

A nice day to you too!

Ah Vienna - city of music. I listen to opera, btw; not only a fan of new trendy music. One of the places I would love to live! 

Look, I'm no expert in dungeon synth as I've only been getting into it recently, but take a listen to a couple of minutes of this and tell me it doesn't sound a bit like Klaus Schulze or Brian Eno or Tangerine Dream or suchlike. I'm not sure that much of the genre sounds like this, but there seems to be a connection. 

Love the idea of unreleased stuff getting onto a vinyl. I will gladly support that if you do a digger's or crowdfunding or some other way to support; and of course I will buy at least one copy. In fact, if I was a millionaire and didn't have to work, one of the things I would really love to do is release the best of neo Goa on vinyl. Suntrip are starting to do this, but very slowly. I understand it is not easy as lots of young hippies don't get vinyl (vinyl is tricky to get right and lots of kids don't ever buy any music period).

There's an unrelated story of Sven Vath being invited to Goa in 94 or 95, the early days, and arriving there to blow away the crowd, but being unable to play because it was 45 degrees in the shade and all his vinyls warped! I really don't know how true this story is, or even who told it to me, but it tickles me every time. 

I must listen to Magnetrixx again; haven't thought of him in ages. I have the cd of Wired and the Somnam and Wired Remixes vinyls, but don't know his music apart from that. He definitely has some talent for melody in my view. 

That Old Sorcery sounds like Jim Kirkwood in some parts ... and with Jim I had the feeling that it sounded like old Edgar Froese or Klaus Schulze ... so, yes, I absolutely agree with you :)

Magnetrixx is a master of progressive ... his first album Trittschall and also the second were very good and with Wired, he helped shape the sound of psytrance back then.
Wired was a seriously good album, in my opinion.

I heard that story about the "melting vinyls", but I did not know the DJ that it was attribued to was Sven Väth ... interesting.
I do believe it ... if you leave them in searing heat in the sun, I can imagine it will get pretty hot and that can be enough to distort the fine etchings or make the disc a little wobbly...

I'll spread the word about my "vinyl project" if I have any word to spread ... I think I'm gonna make it fully transparent and not profit-oriented, then I may be able to pull it off to fund it together with other people and not worry about money much. First I need to get the tracks though...

The prolific Mr Kirkwood... until he devoted himself to religion after 2009. 

I'm listening to Wired again; it strikes me that there's something bluesy about his compositions, almost melancholic. It is certainly well-knit in that all parts work together to create a feeling. 

Going back to the original topic of this thread, I guess you probably know this already, but if not here is some tribal black metal with industrial and trance elements: 

I don't know anything about Jim Kirkwood's bio ... just the sound :P

That suggestion I didn't know ... The Ruins of Beverast?
But I wouldn't rate it as industrial in any way...

I would say that this one here is more on topic, even though it's not exactly on topic:

Oorchach is an awesome artist though B)

You might like it when you're into Steinklang stuff...

• 1 month later...

Well ... back to mad, I'd say:

:ph34r:

If anybody knows anything similar, please, speak up, I beg you :)