Electronica with latin influences

yohankiwi

Hallo everyone,

I'm supposed to be doing a dj set for a charity event for refugees in colombia soon and want to play a bit of latin electronica to fit in with the theme, but having trouble finding some that's still got quite a driving beat but with some good and very funky, but not ott, latin influences. The only track i've been able to find so far that i like is latin lovers by monica kruse. Any recommendations from anyone here? Some techno mixed with latin would be perfect as that's what most of the rest of the set's gonna be made of. Also a song with a good climax at the end would be good as would like to finish it with something like that...

Cheers in advance :)

Some stuff that might work, I KNOW the following few tunes devastated techno floors on a global scale:

Ben Sims- Manipulated (Adam Beyer remix)

Andrew McLauchlan- Love story

Sueno Latino- Sueno latino (Derrick May remix) (Illusion first mix)

Martin Buttrich- Programmer

Ricardo Villalobos- Primer encuentro latino-americano

Tomaz vs. Filterheadz- Sunshine

Gray- Ritmo conmigo

P.S.: Try out some DJ Rolando/Los Hermanos output as well...

+

(for some more artists, ideas and tracklits to check out):

http://www.discogs.com/release/205400

http://www.discogs.com/release/1496306

+

Ben Sims, Mark Broom, Varela & co. oftenly have tribal, instrumental and soulful stuff on their tracklists, but I ain't the one to spoil your digging :)

Good luck!

Also a song with a good climax at the end would be good as would like to finish it with something like that...

Cheers in advance :)

The options are few. Very few. Not chosing one of the following would make you a cunt, no joke. A big one too.

Gaiden- Point blank (Speedy J remix)

Joey Beltram- It works

John Starlight- Blood angels

Speedy J- Krekc

Peter Sutton & Karl O'Connor- Guiltless

Max Walder & Manu Kenton- Adrenaline

Dance or die. Chose one or remain a cunt for life. :P

Legend! Cheers for the recommendations rino, I'm beatporting the ones that are on there now and will find the other ones asap.

E. those ending tracks you posted are wicked but waaay too hard for the type of set i'm gonna have to play. It's for a student event, so the whole set has to be pretty accessible and as funky as possible. they will certainly serve for another day though :D Can't find most of the latin tracks on beatport and can't access slsk from here so will to check soon!

Legend! Cheers for the recommendations rino, I'm beatporting the ones that are on there now and will find the other ones asap.

E. those ending tracks you posted are wicked but waaay too hard for the type of set i'm gonna have to play. It's for a student event, so the whole set has to be pretty accessible and as funky as possible. they will certainly serve for another day though :D Can't find most of the latin tracks on beatport and can't access slsk from here so will to check soon!

No prob., most of those latin tunes are uber known, so odds are pretty high you can leech 'em from somewhere... Good luck & post the set here as well!

Yeah, I guess those closing tracks don't really go hand in hand with the lating lingo. That would have been a killargh set :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For some sweet Latin electronica I recommend the compilation series 'Break n' Bossa' and 'Brazilectro'.

Only the quality is very variable... one track can be very mediocre, while the next is the coolest latin summer chillout music you can imagine.

I've been listening to this music a lot these days. Great stuff. Lively, psychedelic and very groovy. Brings nice summer vibes to these cold times. :D

I think I remember hearing some semi-latin-sounding tracks by Pablo Bolivar but its not on his myspace.... but really nice music no matter what! :) Han he is Spanish :P

can i debate that? :rolleyes: and not cause i want to be anal about it, but simply because i've heard a fair share of him last year, in fact it's on my best 2008 non-psy fav. music thread. He definately has a spanish name, so he has that going on for him, and his music (the upbeat one) is at times funky, but that really comes with the territory, or the genre if you will. I think what makes him special is hearing the combination old-school, romantic sci fi ambiance (almost like the 50 - 60's modernism splashed all over) with great rhythms and working beats. I don't know, i keep finding his music very intriguing and emotional (he has some lovely ambient tracks) without resorting to the usual cheese.