Gabber, Hardcore...

NEMO.BOFH

I never understood Gabber or Hardcore, it never really attracted me. I mean, I know a lot of people actually love it, and its uber big in The Netherlands, but what is so attractive to it? The chicks at the parties? The Chavs? Maybe I should start making some Psy Gabber... Oh wait, we already have Dark Psy, its close enough (yes yes, its a joke, i dont like Dark Psy, but I can still see some good in Dark Psy, but not in Gabber...) :D

What the hell is that all about? :blink:

Its a really strange scene as well, full with Nazis (not all of course, I know that), full with punkz (contradicts my nazi statement, but thats how it is) and they really seem to like Biomechanical Stuff. Horror is also very common around this scene. I once saw a bunch of people going to a gabber party in Amsterdam, and they all wore like Brown Military clothing (like Hitler had)... :blink:

Can you dance to that music more than 1 hour without taking some kind of upper?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, but the first CDs i bought (back when i was 10 years old) were some Thunderdome hardcore compilations.

At that time, what i was liking in electronica was tripping on a "good" melody and a hard hitting bass (i.e: "I Like It Loud" - Marshall Masters, or "Funny" - 3 Steps Ahead).

Funny thing is some early hardcore tracks were sounding a bit like psytrance, such as "Strange Invaders (remix)" - Das Duell.

Now that my tastes have evolved a bit, i find most of those tracks pretty awful, though i can still somehow enjoy to some of them, like..

"Horror" - Rotterdam Terror Corps

"No Happy Shit" - Rotterdam Terror Corps

"Midnight Impact" - Dj Promo

"It's Delicious" - 3 Steps Ahead

"Beaten Like A Bitch" - Darien Kelly

"Midnight Motion" - Miro

It sounds pretty bad of course (except the Miro track which i really do like), but they're probably amongst the best (or should i say "less worst"?) hardcore tracks i have heard.

I don't really know how this music evolved though, i've watched a few vids on youtube and it seems like Hardstyle/Jumpstyle became more popular in the Netherlands/Belgium, with their huge events (Qlimax, Mysteryland, Sensation Black, etc).

A video of Qlimax 2007

I can't imagine how trippy a psytrance party would be if it could be organised like this!

As for the ppl into this style.. they clearly don't seem very interesting, but who knows.

"Horror" - Rotterdam Terror Corps

"No Happy Shit" - Rotterdam Terror Corps

LOL, memories.

Metaphorically speaking, I used to listen to it when I was 12, permanently stored my gabber CDs at 12 and 4 months, permanently removed the permanent storage to my basement at 12 and 6 months, fed the local basement rats the whole load at 12 and 9 months. Now that's hardcore!!!

I never understood Gabber or Hardcore, it never really attracted me. I mean, I know a lot of people actually love it, and its uber big in The Netherlands, but what is so attractive to it? The chicks at the parties? The Chavs? Maybe I should start making some Psy Gabber... Oh wait, we already have Dark Psy, its close enough (yes yes, its a joke, i dont like Dark Psy, but I can still see some good in Dark Psy, but not in Gabber...) :D

Its a really strange scene as well, full with Nazis (not all of course, I know that), full with punkz (contradicts my nazi statement, but thats how it is) and they really seem to like Biomechanical Stuff. Horror is also very common around this scene. I once saw a bunch of people going to a gabber party in Amsterdam, and they all wore like Brown Military clothing (like Hitler had)... :blink:

went to a hardcore-party on saturday & suddenly one of the dj's started mixing dark psy in his set. k-k-k-killaargh.

ps. i never take uppers still i can go non-stop at those kind of things :D

Terrordrome comps were awsome back in a day, especially the Nordcore tracks with all of their aliases.

Nordcore formed their own label which was my source of HC for a while.

There is a link of this crew to Psy....especialy through their project Neuwerk

Check it out here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Neuwerk

One of their former members is Volker Konig, better known as Ololiuqui to Psyheads.

They have a track called India Shanti on a hardcore comp Terrordrome which is kind of funny :)

http://www.speedylook.com/Speedcore.html

Psychedelic speedcore :blink:

And extratone going at 3600 bpm.. lol

do a youtube search for extratone speedcore and listen to what comes up. The whole genre is just laughable to me :blink:

Like nemo, I just simply don't understand these genres of music. I mean completely do not understand it, and i don't even get how other people can actually enjoy listening to that. I've tried going to a hardcore party before and lasted about 20 minutes before I felt like my head was going to explode and i had to leave. My friend is a hardcore producer and he says that the rule amongst hardcore music is 3 bars the same, 1 different and does not like music that doesn't follow this rule :blink:

Breakcore a la venetian snares however is a different story :rolleyes:

I've tried going to a hardcore party before and lasted about 20 minutes before I felt like my head was going to explode and i had to leave.

There's your mistake right there. You tried to listen to 20 minutes of hardcore at once. Only insane people can do that. Also, you tried to listen to it at a party. Only insane people think you can party to hardcore.

The Gabber scene is much bigger and sells much more records (still releases singles EP's on vinyls) and thousands of compilation CD's than the psy-scene.

Remember this guys.

1 million flies can not be wrong, right? :lol:

Gabber/Hardcore/Speedcore has the worst kick ever!

With kicks like that I can't stand the music.

Disted 808 and 909 can sound really cool in music, but not like that, that I can agree on. Ive made some really nice Breaks stuff with disted bass drums in the past. :D I am listening to some old "Hardcore" that I used to like on Bonzai, and I must say, I like that stuff, what I do not get is that new stuff that is around that is just a kickdrum, some stupid fuck saying "Kill the police" accompanied by an awful bassline and some percussion that just sound crap. Damn, the following statement will haunt me forever on this forum but; I prefer Brittney Spears to that musik. (And of course, its all about taste, and blah blah blag)

woah.. awefull example of gabber :D

gabber is dead btw..

it died around about these songs

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=RDywEMnkoYk

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=rThPBZ87Mzc

ofcourse :)

but what do u consider dancing ?

i just wave & shake along.. goes perfect just with booze only :)

Gabber/Hardcore/Speedcore has the worst kick ever!

With kicks like that I can't stand the music.

i dunno.. if u see to the past (when gabber was still alive)

it was one of those genres with the most variation in kicks

for example these ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=287RFXdQrXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTn5ORDHwQc

I used to love Hardcore and still enjoy a lot of producers out there! :posford:

For me it has the same vibe as Nitzhonot, meaning that it emphasizes on adrenaline, on some kind

of melodical rudeness (at least the Mainstream style) and phat beats!

The snippet posted by Nemo reflects perfectly how the scene blooms in Holland. Up there the music really got

big attention and Angerfist is a typical Mainstream Hardcore artist.

Next to this mainstream version there are of course loads of sug-genres that got less commercial elements involved, like

Speedcore and Frenchcore (or at least that's how they called it some years ago). That's usually the kind of Hardcore that attracts less kiddies & nazis.

Nevertheless, I prefer the rushing melodies in combination with 150-170 bpm distorted kicks!

Another great and rather recent example of Mainstreamish Core... http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=G2giFMLebXk

Next to this mainstream version there are of course loads of sug-genres that got less commercial elements involved, like

Speedcore and Frenchcore (or at least that's how they called it some years ago). That's usually the kind of Hardcore that attracts less kiddies & nazis.

that scene is more leftwinged idd..

squatparties, teknivals and such

i dunno.. if u see to the past (when gabber was still alive)

it was one of those genres with the most variation in kicks

for example these ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=287RFXdQrXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTn5ORDHwQc

horrible horrible music. the first track is 2 minutes 32 seconds, thats about how long it must have taken to make that track. Typical example of B R A I N D E A D music IMO. :lol:

horrible horrible music. the first track is 2 minutes 32 seconds, thats about how long it must have taken to make that track. Typical example of B R A I N D E A D music IMO. :lol:

well.. i said gabber died at about that point ( '98 - '00 )

i never said i was giving examples of great and awesome gabber ;)

imo speedcore and extratone have a lot of unused potential. people should only focus on making it hypnotic and ambientish instead of aggressive and hateful. imagine droning ambient with a steady extratone beat. i always wanted to make that but i never got the right kick sound. let me know if by any chance ambient speedcore exists.