V/A - Sundrops: Lights In Motion

Jon Cocco

What a beautiful album this iz , For me this has to be the perfect album i love melodies, nd u have that in abundance. After multimoods and trust in trance 3 this is the only album in which evry track is absolutely killar.....................gh.

Favorites: Zanchin , Gateway Eight , Back To Earth , Sight Of The Sages :drama: :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

...especially when there are no key changes. Even Agneton doesn't go far enough... There are some nice melodies, for sure, Aerosis and Artifact303... but I've heard so much of this style of music where composers don't bother to change the root of the bassline. It gets boring...

I just listened to Aerosis as a random selection as it's the one you mentioned above, and there's more key changes in that track than in an average pop song (well, fair enough, an average pop song only has three chords...)

What is a "key change"? Can you give me an example of one in a well know track or two?

Haha, this is irony right? You must be British, like me :lol:

What is a "key change"? Can you give me an example of one in a well know track or two?

Incase the question is serious, a key change is..well, when the key of a track changes. Each peice of music is in a certain key, meaning there is 1 note that is the root key, such as C, E, F, F minor etc. All of the melodies incorporate this note as the root harmonic and the melodies are created by notes bellow, at, or above this note on a particular scale of possible notes, incorporating a particular rythm. Thats music theory in a nuthsell.

A key change is when this root note changes to another, Lunar Effect doesn't actually have a real key change since its only the bass line traveling on the scale, a real key change is when all the notes change to reflect a new root note. (well, real depending on how specific we want to get, we all just discuss these terms loosely :) But I guess for all we're concerned any time we hear the bass go to another note its a key change.

Epic Example:

Filteria - Stars (Starstuff Remix) 6:07 total key change (melody, bass, all elements).

Yah it was a serious question..

Not sure I quite understand - baseline having key changes? How about melodies? Can a single melody have a key change in it?

It's great that you ask, something that many people are afraid of! And by the way; I want to know too :) Maybe start a thread about it?

On topic:

Some very good songs but some not so good tracks on this album. I REALLY like Back to Earth, Gateway Eight and Lunar Effect! The worst track is maybe Zanchin IMHO. Its just too boring :P Still great album though! :clapping:

This compilation is magical.

It encompasses great tunez.

But for no doubt - Artifact303 and Antares - their tracks are particularly my fave.

These two are to be watched after. I see a great future for these two.

Way to go Suntrip. I adore you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Yah it was a serious question..

Not sure I quite understand - baseline having key changes? How about melodies? Can a single melody have a key change in it?

I can't let this one lie hanging and unanswered.

Yes, I would say a single melody line can have a key change, and it is especially easy to hear when we talk about trance since it usually uses arpeggiated melodies or melodies almost purely in 16th notes with no breaks or gaps (well, in a lot of tracks I hear, but I wont get into that topic here).

Most of these melodies play around the 3 basic notes that create a chord (dominant, third and fifth - it is called dominant in English right?) and so when you change the key, the whole melody will change. The "base feel" of the track will change character completely. Often used as a cheap trick in commercial music when you want to lift the song at the end or maybe the composer just ran out of ideas...

A bassline alone can change the key as well, but what I understood from earlier posts we're not really talking about a key change but a CHORD change. Meaning the key or the "base feel" of the song is the same but the bassline and/or melodies can change somewhat, but is always dragged back to the dominant chord of the track.

An example if you have a piano handy... try pressing a C as the bass and at the same time rapidly (first) press C then D# then G and then repeat. You're now playing a C minor melody. Then continue playing those three notes on top but change the bassnote to for instance A#. You've now changed the bass, but the key is still Cminor. You can change the bass again to G# if you wish, the main key is the same.

The chord is also the same in this example, but you get the feel of a changing chord because of the bass.

Now if you changed the bassnote to G#...try changing the top G in the 3-note melody to G#...hear the difference??

The difference for me is at least some of what trance does that other commercial music does not. - the "illusion" of chord change rather than changing it totally

Mostly in goa tracks the melodies are rapidly playing many different notes and if you consider the delays that overlap notes coming and going you will find different chords actually being "played" intentionally or unintentionally. Especially when you have multiple melodies on top of each other.

I suppose the best way to get the feel of a chord change is to change the bassline in a goa track, but technically the chord is not really changing, simply the bassline.

Sorry for the off topic post. Admins -- delete this if you find it necessary.

one of the best suntrip releases,

the atmosphere is divine (matter of speech)

too bad I still haven't got the time to write some more,

for me it's a milestone in suntrip releases, same artist creating different compilations using the same atmosphere,

atmosphere concept albums are brilliant :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Antares track has grown the most, this is a very brilliantly done compilation Track done by filteria- back to earth is almost unbelievable Downtempo track it has such an uplifting melody sometimes i feel he made a fast track then slowed down the bpm to make it downtempo :wank: :) jst my thought but it is sooooo goood . Pls..... people who havent bought this album by now shuld seriously get this..

• 2 weeks later...

SUNDROPS

Light In Motion

Posted Image

Preamble

Each realise from Suntrip is a party, an expectation, excitement, surprise. It is a sentiment which becomes a pleasant habit since 2004, when the label which has become a benchmark for its goa trance.
With Sundrop, the result is still different. Indeed, this fourth compilation, there is no question of uptempo or downtempo music but rather a combination between these two terms. It's very smooth. The psychedelic ambiences are long and dominant.
The tracks are soft, with great restraint, making the works more floating, conventional and sentimental.
Thus, Suntrip deliberately breaks this side too goa trance, too melodic, too euphoric in order to diversify.

The artwork is a reflection of this delicious compilation, with its interface simple and plain which reminds us of the reddish colors of autumn and its sensitivity with micro details of light we open us the paths of light. This wonder will we brighten our sad daily lengthening our days, warming up our hearts, by illuminating our faces and extending a summer that we have ever had.

Posted Image

Program, around the world in 8 destinations: USA, Israel, Romania, France, Belgium, England, Sweden and Norway.
- Three Great Returns: Chi-ad, California Sunshine, Virtuart.
- A new kid: Antares.
- Four new school artists well known: Filteria, Ra, Artifact 303 et Aerosis.
Only 8 tracks but only a total time over 74 minutes.

Review

[1] Chi.a.d - Sight of the Sages [7'17'']
>> play
We begin with a track as light as a cumulus. "Sight Of The Sages", plunges us into apainting of pastel, where the ocean and the sky touching to form the horizon. A perfect symmetry. A beautiful shot with songs of whales and dolphins. Pictures that gives us this track are heaven and interrogate us on the existential questions of life. Beautiful scene with its biblical landscapes. It makes us altitude but lack contour accents and details. This defect gives the first piece a side too platonic and amorphous, with some passages longuet (boring). We would have liked a few variations and endings to make it more attractive. 3.5/10

[2] California Sunshine - Oblivion [9'20'']
>> play
We continue our review with "Oblivion" which has many similarities with "Other Line". The track is vastly improved with more harmonious agreements, tribal scenes more effective and fx richer. California Sunshine we dress in anthropologist costume to study customs of a primitive tribe forgotten. The atmosphere is disturbing, suspense moves around this ritual, mixing witchcraft and belief. We are submerged in a sort of trance that grew in strength, hypnotized in a dizzying spiral. A tasty dish that keeps us in suspense until the end. 8/10

[3] Virtuart & Chronomyst - Zanchin [11'59'']
>> play
Here is a long episode of twelve minutes that transforms us in a state of evaporation. Very beautiful composition of the appearance "Psy Spirit" from Cosmic Silence. Transitions are numerous and adapt oneself to each other (in an obvious way). The environment used, makes me imagine constellations that light up in scintillating, featuring trails routes Feeding, a rain of galaxies and planets that revolve around us. Thus, astronomy is a science that has no secrets for us. A beautiful dream that transforms our room into a planetarium time to music. 10/10

[4] Aerosis - Lunar Effect [9'09'']
>> play
"Lunar Effect" begins with its sounds viscous liquid and globular which pierces muted. The suite is very nice despite a tempo enough fast. I found some similarities with "Atea" from Omegahertz but less cheesy. Sensitive melodies sparkling with great lightness and we carry in a Eden garden. A beautiful song that makes us positive. 7/10

[5] Artifact 303 - Energy Waves (Positive Mix) [9'00'']
>> play
We are witnessing a fierce battle space in a set where the infinite is horizon. An army of sophisticated vessels chase at the speed of light, slip away, brush, go into a spin and explode, in a cascade of meteorites which collide like electron. Laser fluorescent learned by these flying squadrons, shape of long light paths, illuminating the space. Intergalactic conquest is ruthless and leaves in its path, a heap of scrap metal still fuming. The rhythm is nervous, the effects are cosmic, sounds zigzag and a drop of acidity very acute. The atmosphere is similar in style from Astral Projection but the melody used lacks flavor and roundness. "Energy Waves" It is, however, a music big show with many special effects well finished. 6/10

[6] Antares - Aurora [9'41'']
>> play
It is a very refreshing music where many droplets of water mint glide along our face, leaving behind a puff wet oxygen. I give him some similarities with Khetzal. The sound is clear and piercing as crystal and gives us chills. The atmosphere is both magical, fantastic and winter, bathed in a deep and fearful night with the impossible encounter between the moon and sun. The effects borrowed, we give the impression that the melodies are played on ice stalactites, and we refer to this perception of cold. "Aurora" reveals us the early morning light a rising sun. Ideal to start the day. 8/10

[7] Ra - Gateway Eight [8'50'']
>> play
Christer Borge-Lunde et Lars W. Lind here give us a real master stroke. If "Gateway Eight" should be included in an album, it would be undoubtedly 9th, with same style, same sensitivity, same feeling. The melody is strong in emotion, musical structure is robust, at a time, purring and very attractive. The basslines are heavy and act on our eyelids which fall in each beat.We seem to be in a surgical room between of experts hands, careful and precise gestures. We feel mesmerized and anaesthetized, our mind is in trust, our body is increased, our members numb, the trip is imminent to the dazzling light. 10/10

[8] Filteria - Back to Earth [9'00'']
>> play
The quiet strength. The shadow of Pleiadians has completely disappeared and the style borrowed is quite different. We will say something of Miranda especially from their album Phenomena. We are witnessing a sublime ballad nonchalant, full of discoveries and instructive. Thus, Jannis Tzikas tour us through "Back to Earth" several regions of our beautiful blue planet and make us aware of the fragility of our ecosystem. We sink into the tropical jungle, we climbe the mountains, we contemplate the geysers, we flew over deserts, it's a trip without borders. The rhythmic structure is similar to a clock, mechanism well oiled which leaving to escape the second, without being able to catch up. The hand file and winds, time is short before the disappearance of our land. 10/10

Conclusion

Suntrip succeeds his bet, those of walking us on a cloud. We teleports to an imaginary world, in order to give us a small parenthesis in a world that I find sometimes shitty and the clock is sometimes painful.
Sundrop is a real success. The songs are good and interesting because of delicacy, sensitivity, poetry and lightness. Everything suggests that the new school resources are not yet exhausted. Suntrip creator of dreams.

RATING = 8/10

My favorite tracks: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8

I like that you have included a "play link" to the samples of each track! :) That should be a standard in all reviews when possible.

My fav track on this compilation is Chi-ADs.

I like that you have included a "play link" to the samples of each track! :) That should be a standard in all reviews when possible.

My fav track on this compilation is Chi-ADs.

Yes, I hope that the reviews become more interactive, lively and fun. :posford:

My ratings: :lol:

Tracklist

01. Chi-a.d. – Sight of the Sages - [8/10]

02. California Sunshine – Oblivion - [7/10]

03. Virtuart & Chronomyst – Zanchin [10/10]

04. Aerosis – Lunar Effect [9/10]

05. Artifact303 – Energy Waves [7/10]

06. Antares – Aurora [7/10]

07. Ra – Gateway [10/10]

08. Filteria – Back To Earth [10/10]

Total: [8,5/10]] :drama:

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot be bothered to check on what I've written a few months ago. Filteria's Back To Earth is easily the best psy trance related tune I've heard in 2008. It is, hands up or down, amazing. Rolling at a slower pace, it sounds so alien and outer wordly with a spaced out melody which is smartly held back until a certain point, when it's just thrown out there - like Han Solo's Falcon flew over your control tower and you weren't warned about it beforehand.

The so-called 'rewind effect' is used to marvellous effect. Takes a downtempo track and gives it more edge and intensity than most dance floor filling full on material has. Lovely stuff. Just like Filteria's other master stroke, Tiny Universe, the emphasis is layed on one, strong lead, which gets tweaked and modified throughout the track's running time. Remember how Tiny Universe went absolutely off the wall after that sample? The similar thing takes place here, after the afore mentioned 'rewind effect'. It's not just over loading listeners with torrents of fast paced effects and audio tricks, but about reaching the same goal with a lesser amount of layers, pitched in a manner you'll most definitely know what to maintain focus on. Lights are in motion. Too bad the rest does not impress, so I like playing Filteria's closing track after a session of really frenetic goa trance :)

• 5 months later...

Looks like I haven't made a comment since I got it. This compilation is full of top-quality melodic morning goa, the concept works for every single track and not one is bad - they're all extremely good and I'm not really even exaggerating - much. Quality from beginning to the end. Blissful bright sunshine melodies with a couple that are a tad darker. I mean really, Aerosis track is simply a warm morning with palm trees, soft beach sand and a comfortable chair while sipping that fresh coffee. Energy Waves is a sunshine pill of energy with blissful melodies that sparkle like sun reflects on water. Zanching is that zen morning experience where we let it all in and calm ourselves. Sight Of The Sages is like that soothing morning tune that makes you get up from bed, step outside to the warmth and enjoy the softest breeze.

A release that ought to be a classic.

• 3 years later...

This is my favorite compilation by Suntrip to date, followed by (in no order) Apsara, Blacklight Moments, Temple of Chaos.

With this, I love the harmonies (sounds, melodies) and rhythms throughout. The album is homogenous with exception to Energy Waves; that song adds a boost between the more beautiful, traveling songs but seems out of place on here. Also, Chi. a.d's song, though beautiful gets repetitive.

That said, I love how much "feeling" and emotion exist at times. It's definitely not for everyone, being softer, lighter in general, but I like that - the harmonies; the warm, relaxing sounds, and atmosphere.

Most goa enthusiasts will like this compilation I imagine. If you're looking for one with strong emotive tracks, this is up there.

• 6 years later...
On 11/26/2008 at 5:48 AM, Penzoline said:
Malevol3nt said:

Aurora track by Antares is absolutely fantastic. :)

Yep - it is unbelievably magical and fantastic, gets me pumped!

All these years later and you still struggle to beat an Antares track.