"grindcore" and related musics

Psycosmo

I dunno if anyone here is familiar with the music of Hecate AKA Rachel Kozak, but it is some seriously powerful stuff. I dont really know anything about this style of music, but I really like the albums "Majik of Female Ejaculation" and "7 veils of silence". They both mix slow, brooding elements with harsh noisy ones and lots of weird rhythms... a lot of the music is both smooth and grating at the same time. some people love it and some people hate it, when playing for people Im often surprised by who likes it and who doesn't.. but almost everyone has a reaction to it.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else here likes this sort of music and can recommend other stuff with similar qualities.

I tried listening to some stuff on her myspace page but it wont load properly. From what I heard: 1)This is not grindcore. Grindcore is a sub genre of metal akin to death metal. 2)This sound more like some industrial/gabber/extreme DnB hybrid. If u want some stuff like this that is actually grindcore try The Berzerker. The have gabber/speedcore influences, crazy samples & distorted kick drums. Their new CD The Reawakening has a bonus disc with remixes & is a lot more experimental/electronic(though you'll have to buy it from their website as its not available in stores sadly). If u can find their old stuff when they were just a one man gabber DJ u might like that too. A couple vids(Note they dont wear the masks anymore):

The Berzerker - No One Wins

The Berzerker - All About You

Probly not exactly what your looking for but if like extreme techno u should like other extreme music. I cant think of anything else u might like. Maybe some of their remixes or remixes of Cradle Of filth, Mortiis maybe.

No this isnt really what Im looking for. Maybe its not grindcore that Im looking for. I like Hecate for the same reasons that I like Artifakt: both really do a good job of combining rough and smooth elements. This Bezerker stuff seems more focused on just the driving and the throat singing. I am not a fan of throat singing but can tolerate it if the music is really good. Thanks for the recommendation tho, I guess Ill just keep looking. Venetian Snares is the closest thing Ive found, but still it doesnt have enough smoothness and synth action for my tastes... brilliant percussion but I need more than percussion.

Ive heard a bit of cradle of filth, it is def some very cool and innovative stuff, but not what Im talking about here. Maybe the mods can change the title of the thread to "Hecate-type electronic music" since I guess I used the wrong adjective in callling the thread "grindcore" since I mean electronic music with maybe a bit of guitar at most, def not a type of metal or punk although I could see some of the same types of people being attracted to it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I think I had "grindcore" mixed up with "breakcore"... :rolleyes:

Anyway it seems the genre has some interesting music, but I still havent found any artist besides Hecate that really mixes insane fast breaks with noisy power sounds AND also has proper atmospherics and stuff. Most of the breakcore Ive checked out so far (not much) has been interesting, but too exclusively focused on bass and percussion for my tastes. I'm liking Bong-Ra's "Bikini Bandits Kill, Kill, Kill!" but it doesnt have the spiritual/occult feeling going on.

Grindcore is a subgenre of hardcore, which is some kind of post-punk music.

Mr NEMO.BOFH can close this thread :)

Theres hardcore /core ending which is hardcore punk e.g. metalcore

and then theres hardcore as in hardcore techno which is strongly associated with/close to gabba... e.g. hardcore breaks.

Pretty sure grindcore has to do with thrash metal though :P

LOLOL guys, more goth adds on this thread :P Psynews has a lot of goths?

all these different -cores are over my head... Probably would have been better if Id just started a thread about Hecate and left it at that instead of trying to classify music with categories.

Theres hardcore /core ending which is hardcore punk e.g. metalcore

and then theres hardcore as in hardcore techno which is strongly associated with/close to gabba... e.g. hardcore breaks.

Pretty sure grindcore has to do with thrash metal though :P

LOLOL guys, more goth adds on this thread :P Psynews has a lot of goths?

Yes, there are several hardcores. But there's only one grindcore!

Grindcore is/was indeed a subgenre of hardcore....hardcore as in Sick of it all, Madball, Pro Pain, Biohazard (with their seminal release "Urban discipline" - ok I like Biohazard from time to time ;-) )..

It's something dating from the mid-nineties I think....

About Cradle of Filth: I once had the "good fortune" of seeing them live.....what a screaming noise!!!

Imo they have only one good track: "Malice through the looking glass".....overromantisiced neogothic speeddeathmetal......

But what am I talking about here?

Over to PsyGoaChillProgressiveElectronic "music"....hehe

Right, right, I thought it was clear that I made a mistake and said grindcore and but in fact meant breakcore... I guess Ill have to make a new, properly titled thread when I get chance

Yeah I didn't mean they were grindcore, they're extreme gothic metal, I meant I had heard a few remixes of some of their songs somewhere years ago that very vaguely sounded like the stuff he said he was looking for. I don't think they were ever actually released they were from some dj set I had that sort of sounded like something he'd like.