The cancers of todays Psy scene

Ormion

I honestly don't have a problem with all the influences from techno, tech house, and progressive house; also, I think the wide tempo range is a cool aspect of the genre. Actually, I think that getting into modern psytrance has helped me begin to appreciate pretty much every kind of EDM under the sun. It's a melting-pot genre, meant for the open-minded.

Yeah, same here. It allows you to be very selective/picky all over the place! But being picky is tough when you want to go to parties. In non-psy genres the best might not be as good, but the acceptable percentage is larger imo, and also the number of parties.

I honestly don't have a problem with all the influences from techno, tech house, and progressive house; also, I think the wide tempo range is a cool aspect of the genre. Actually, I think that getting into modern psytrance has helped me begin to appreciate pretty much every kind of EDM under the sun. It's a melting-pot genre, meant for the open-minded.

As I wrote earlier I like a lot of different music but I still feel it's a problem if you buy a ticket to a party or Festival expecting to dance to psychedelic trance just to discover it's not psychedelic or trance.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

it began in your mind.

you took the ride.

you experience the potential and you see unknown so far lights.

an idea of an overview of all possible psychedelic consciousnesses urges to produce new worlds.

places are built, moods are scratching blood into the nerves of fictional atmospheres.

but as soon as you're satisfied with your creation, when the crowd oscillates by your music, the time will force you to look back.

you'll want to deal with the feelings from the life before you got in touch with the power.

you're exposed to the general world much more again.

what the hell is up with the other people, the big rest which fights with a few pearls of the well-known feelings of ordinary markets.

most probably they don't even have the slightest idea of all the dark matter markets!

now, ten or fifteen years later, you not only hear the other ordinary world somewhere, already you are occupied again by its exponents. (slightly more this time. perhaps even with more % of alcohol - it's a new millennium - isn't it?)

all the ordinary views, the ones that speak of a common sights towards certain stuff, and the constantly expanded materials of the elixirs of the ordinary world (cocaine, alc ... don't want to repeat myself)

it has been said before "circles are boring - spirals are fun"

all this and the mass, the predictable behavior of the mass, finally brought us the tunnel vision to goa/psytrance.

when creating music you shall fade out the ordinary world ... you shall give a damn about other opinions.

one must fade out parts from the ordinary world which may look important while thinking about them.

express the moments from your most haunting feelings. no time for others (for instance classic trancers with dislike for psychedelic notes)

psychedelic space, goa, psytrance - it was never the idea to integrate places, habits or feelings of the normal world.

imaginary.........

The Psytrance Goa Monster is gonna take all you infadels to a psygathering in hell.

There you will be tortured and get punished in the worst way: you'll have to listen to the subgenre you hate the most(Yes He reads this cancerous thread!)

Then He will cast some old Voodoo spell upon you from way back when tribal-trance rituals were performed to cast off demons.

You all will wake up without knowing what happened but with a difference: when some nitwit tries to communicate with you while using the word SCENE referring to a group of people you will not have a clue!

AAHHH... FREEDOM...FREEDOM AT LAST!!! :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Just write anything that you think has ruined or still ruining the scene musically-wise.

Note: It's not a war thread! Just a personal opinion one.

My thoughts:

Full On Basslines

I like full on basslines. Especially when they are aggressive and furious. But when 90% of the new tracks a have a full on bass then it's a problem.

Minimalism

How the most colorful, intense, complex dance genre has become such minimal-styled I will never understand. Shame.

I don't hate minimal. It's just not my taste. But everything leans towards minimalism. Like it's the future of our scene. Whilst over-the-top psy is regarded as a b-grade music, music for the few.

House, Progressive Techno, Tech House etc. influences

Why?

No melodies in Darkpsy

I love Darkpsy. But why most Darkpsy artists don't use melodies? It's like a cliche?

Ethno-cliches in ambient

We have enough, don't you think? The same with all these dub stuff. Where's the spacey psybient? The trancey melodies? Why everything must sound so earthly today?

Extreme bpm's

150 is good, 160 is good, 200 not like. The same with 120 bpm dance tracks. No thanks!

Obsession with Goa

And this comes from THE Goa fan. I love Goa more than anything, but Psy is more than that.

Obsession with Simon

Serioulsy, this is getting ridiculous.

Vocoding samples

Too many of them and most of them annoying as hell. Especially in cheesy full on tracks. Plus anything ''I love you'' clubby, shitty sample.

Plur has nothing to do with that.

No liquid sounds

Everything sounds so ''rough'' today. Why?

People afraid of Trance

Damn you X-Dream! Damn you Radio! tongue.gif

I don't know, but there are times that I think that trance today is like a forbidden word. Like Trance=Cheese. Why?

Count me words. If Spiritual Healing was released today, it would be bashed as a cheesefest.

IMO

Write yours

this is just like the same topic as Anoebis Joske posted.

Quite an old thread, things must have changed since then. But well, what pisses me off in the today's psy, is the thing that happened to the melodies. Basically there are two kinds of approaches, like "melodies are for pussies, we are the real men, we make FM noises and squelchy arpeggios only" or "this track needs a melody, lest put some generic natural minor chord progression into it and call it a day". People are forgetting that psytrance is still music and melody is one of the most essential elements of any music.

I'm not sayng that anything needs "neoclassical" shredding like in some Infected Mushroom tracks, sometimes two chords work wonders if they are the right two chords, but still non-formulaic apporach to a melody is one of the things that separates great tracks from mediocre ones.

• Like 4

One of my theories is that the change in mass drug consumption led to diffrent, repetitive, minimalistic, technolike music. On goa trance parties I see more people who are high on psychedelics, and on psy-trance (you know what I mean) parties I literally get begged to buy ecstasy or amphetamines. The connection between psy trance scene and drugs is another story, but it makes sense to me.

The DJs may not consume, but they are making music that a mostly high audience likes.

A friend got me into Talamasca and from there I got into goa trance and my friend got into hyper psy trance like Alienn or Stereopanic so its obvious that its also up to personal taste. Altho I dont really see why would one prefer psy trance over goatrance, but thats just me.

• Like 1

Honestly I never believed the theory that drugs can influence the music. For example a popular theory is that today's psytrance sounds so fast and fernetic because artists are on coke. If that was the case every rock star would make darkpsy.

• Like 2

Honestly I never believed the theory that drugs can influence the music. For example a popular theory is that today's psytrance sounds so fast and fernetic because artists are on coke. If that was the case every rock star would make darkpsy.

Why not? It is a plausible theory IMO. Btw pretty much every rock star does use drugs. :) If not coke, then atleast alcohol and it is influencing their feelings and the way that they express them.

Im not saying that the drugs are the sole reason, but they are a big contributor to the evolution of sound.

• Like 1