The cancers of todays Psy scene

Ormion

Just write anything that you think has ruined or still ruining the scene musically-wise.

Note: It's not a war thread! Just a personal opinion one.

My thoughts:

Full On Basslines

I like full on basslines. Especially when they are aggressive and furious. But when 90% of the new tracks a have a full on bass then it's a problem.

Minimalism

How the most colorful, intense, complex dance genre has become such minimal-styled I will never understand. Shame.

I don't hate minimal. It's just not my taste. But everything leans towards minimalism. Like it's the future of our scene. Whilst over-the-top psy is regarded as a b-grade music, music for the few.

House, Progressive Techno, Tech House etc. influences

Why?

No melodies in Darkpsy

I love Darkpsy. But why most Darkpsy artists don't use melodies? It's like a cliche?

Ethno-cliches in ambient

We have enough, don't you think? The same with all these dub stuff. Where's the spacey psybient? The trancey melodies? Why everything must sound so earthly today?

Extreme bpm's

150 is good, 160 is good, 200 not like. The same with 120 bpm dance tracks. No thanks!

Obsession with Goa

And this comes from THE Goa fan. I love Goa more than anything, but Psy is more than that.

Obsession with Simon

Serioulsy, this is getting ridiculous.

Vocoding samples

Too many of them and most of them annoying as hell. Especially in cheesy full on tracks. Plus anything ''I love you'' clubby, shitty sample.

Plur has nothing to do with that.

No liquid sounds

Everything sounds so ''rough'' today. Why?

People afraid of Trance

Damn you X-Dream! Damn you Radio! :P

I don't know, but there are times that I think that trance today is like a forbidden word. Like Trance=Cheese. Why?

Count me words. If Spiritual Healing was released today, it would be bashed as a cheesefest.

IMO

Write yours

nerds who overanalyse like nerds - especially nerds who overanalyse senseless things like senseless nerds - and then try to make a point out of it to get their thang going!!

You mean me? :unsure:

Seriously though, Dark Psy. It killed the Psy Trance. And kiddie Full-On (You know, all the cheesy Israeli labels)

Darkpsy killed the scene? Go check the Psyshop charts.

You mean me? :unsure:

Darkpsy killed the scene? Go check the Psyshop charts.

Edit: Charts only tell you how much something sells, if Darkpsy sells more does not mean that the oldschoolers or the psytrance people that used to be have adapted, it also COULD MEAN that a whole new scene has spawned from the deep dark underground of the swamp... scum! (Pun intended)

It killed GOOD psy and made a new scene, Dark Psy Scene. New sound, new crowd, the old ones out, the new ones in. Dark Psy for me is the pest itself for the whole Psy Scene. I dont even think it should be worthy of being a SUB GENRE of Psychedelic Trance, cause all it has adapted is the bassline. Full on, well, there is good Full on which also is Psychedelic, and then there is Full On which is just Full On and has NOTHING to do with Psy IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. Those are also creating a whole new scene, new people etc etc.

I dont see where you fit in the Minimal though? Minimal is a whole genre to itself, which has broken apart from PsyTrance and is now in another scene. Ok, you can see it as if they abandoned our little music community, but I see it as progress of the bands... Once again, in with the new, out with the old.

Simon Posford mania does not get to me at all. Its just like believing in God, its stupid! :)

about the other things, I think you are a bit HARSH when you say that they are the CANCER of the psy scene... (I too was harsh saying darkpsy is the pest!) ;)

I hate to say it, but Psytrance, is as good as dead. The only few bands that are still out there producing QUALITY Psytrance I can count on 10 fingers.

And frozen dream, may this be your last warning, if you aint got nothing to contribute with, shut it or be gone.

Cancers of psytrance?

People who live in the past/hallucinogen fans, who always complain about anything that comes out

People who say that darkpsy is destroying the scene

Cheesy fullon

OTHER THAN THAT: im open for anything, as long as i can tell there's thoughts, heart or soul behind the production :) I think the worst thing in the scene, is people with different tastes dissing each other.. Like idiots allways complaining about dark, minimal, fullon, or actually anything ells, sometimes i wander why you people are still here??? What did you enjoy? How much bigger did your collection grow the last few years? I can se that anything except suntrip is SHIT, all darkpsy sounds like a guy farting, ect.... It's like going into hiphop and complain that no one sounds like Easy-E anymore.. Get up to date, or take your hallucinogen and pleidians albums and get lost!

• Like 1

The cancers of todays Psy scene

The people.

Artists are free to create whatever they want. Only people define trends and stuff, as a result we are given low-quality music in more quantities (not to use the s-word). Ethno? Liquid sounds? Posford? Minimal? No melodies? - Who cares if it's interesting, musical and future-sounding? You can't stand still for 20 years producing, releasing and listening to the same music over and over and over again, psytrance is evolving and it's magnificent! I love goa trance, but I tend to enjoy new albums more than 50% of the old stuff :)

Cancers of psytrance?

People who live in the past/hallucinogen fans, who always complain about anything that comes out

People who say that darkpsy is destroying the scene

Cheesy fullon

OTHER THAN THAT: im open for anything, as long as i can tell there's thoughts, heart or soul behind the production :) I think the worst thing in the scene, is people with different tastes dissing each other.. Like idiots allways complaining about dark, minimal, fullon, or actually anything ells, sometimes i wander why you people are still here??? What did you enjoy? How much bigger did your collection grow the last few years? I can se that anything except suntrip is SHIT, all darkpsy sounds like a guy farting, ect.... It's like going into hiphop and complain that no one sounds like Easy-E anymore.. Get up to date, or take your hallucinogen and pleidians albums and get lost!

No, its not like going to a hiphop party and saying that nobody likes Easy-E anymore, thats still the same kind of music. Dark Psy, has NOTHING to do with our scene anymore. Its TWO different genres. Its like comparing Minimal to Psytrance, its just as stupid. One thing is that I do not like Dark Psy personally, but another is, that none of the old sceners seem to have adapted either. Its a CHANGE of the genre, which took it further away from PSYCEDELIC than it has ever been. Now, if this is good or bad is only in the ear of the beholder. But please Change the Genre name to Horror Techno or something, but do not call it PSY! :D

No, its not like going to a hiphop party and saying that nobody likes Easy-E anymore, thats still the same kind of music. Dark Psy, has NOTHING to do with our scene anymore. Its TWO different genres. Its like comparing Minimal to Psytrance, its just as stupid. One thing is that I do not like Dark Psy personally, but another is, that none of the old sceners seem to have adapted either. Its a CHANGE of the genre, which took it further away from PSYCEDELIC than it has ever been. Now, if this is good or bad is only in the ear of the beholder. But please Change the Genre name to Horror Techno or something, but do not call it PSY! :D

Easy-E has NOTHING to do with todays hiphop.. Totally different flow, different beats and different lyrics.. I understand you think it sounds the same, if you don't listen to hiphop very much though :P Like all psytrance sounds the same to someone who don't study it or is veryvery familiar with it :)

But i see what you mean Nemo, but things change.. Take an air-plain for example. The first airplanes was made out of wood, with a regular gazoline engine. No electronics, nothing! New airplaines are made with jet engines, flying 20 times faster, made of metal and filled with the highest level of electronics known to man.. But it's still called an airplane, no? :P Things evolve, nomatter if you like wood better than metal

But I see what all you dinosaurs (joke :P ) mean, you was in the scene from the beginning.... The stuff you call psytrance, is what i allways thought was named Goa. Younger generations know the music, but can't tell the difference anymore, because theres so much variation.. Take your music source like psyshop! It's supposed to be a psytrance shop right? There's tons of darkpsy and fullon.. And if you look at the genre's there, what do you see? It says "psytrance" to ALL upbeat trance on the site, nomatter if its oldschool, dark or fullon.. It's all sub genres, wich just makes things complicated and make people disguss who has the biggest insight of the scene and blah blah... But why bother using so much energy on it? Psytrance is dead to all the dinosaurs who think new stuff isn't psytrance, eventhough psytrance is psytrance to the younger generation... Thats how i see it :)

Darkpsy old guys out? Different story here, only old guys in darkpsy parties, teenagers in fool on. Darkpsy is the direct response to isra-blasters-exstacy-put-your-hands-up-in-the-air music :rolleyes: Which actually has less to do with "psychedelic" than dark, in my opinion.

Darkpsy old guys out? Different story here, only old guys in darkpsy parties, teenagers in fool on. Darkpsy is the direct response to isra-blasters-exstacy-put-your-hands-up-in-the-air music :rolleyes: Which actually has less to do with "psychedelic" than dark, in my opinion.

Of course that genre as well has nothing to do with psy, I never said anything different. Read what I fully said, and not just the part about Dark Terror

Once again darkpsy is the bad guy.

Stuff like D-nox & Beckers isn't. Iboga records isn't. Minimal house promoted as psy isn't.

No darkpsy is the EVIL! Music made for young chavs, so stoned that they don't care for real quality. Just a bass and random sounds.

But back in 2000 when some artists decided than Psy is not interesting anymore, why not put some minimal techno in it? didn't kill the scene.

When Ticon and Son Kite came from nowhere and become the new trend everything was fine. But darkpsy is bad. It's fast, it's dark, it's hard=it's shit.

I know I sound harsh, but not liking darkpsy is one thing and saying that darkspy killed the scene is another.

How darkpsy killed the scene? It WAS never a popular sub genre, NEVER! Not even today.

Please check the Psyshop charts, this is the shit that killed the scene.

Music made for mykonos bars. Booty shaking dance stuff... yeah right!

Anyway, I don't want to start a war here. All of the above are IMO.

But once again darkpsy is the bad guy.

Darkpsy is infected, just like full on. There is cheesy, primitive kind of full on and schranz, 160bpm terror music with blood and corpse on their covers. These things should be differentiated.

My point is, it's great we have them and much more above all this. You can't deny there still are marvelous albums, brilliant producers, understanding organizators and people who give a damn about what they are listening to, what they want and what parties/festivals they are going to. I'd even say that the quality is much higher now. Utopia is utopia, this is reality and new people have their influence on psy pscene, but you still can get everything you want, can't you?

Personally, what I get exceeds my expectations :) So thanks for everyone involved!

Darkpsy is infected, just like full on. There is cheesy, primitive kind of full on and schranz, 160bpm terror music with blood and corpse on their covers. These things should be differentiated.

My point is, it's great we have them and much more above all this. You can't deny there still are marvelous albums, brilliant producers, understanding organizators and people who give a damn about what they are listening to, what they want and what parties/festivals they are going to. I'd even say that the quality is much higher now. Utopia is utopia, this is reality and new people have their influence on psy pscene but you still can get everything you want, can't you?

Personally, what I get exceeds my expectations :) So thanks for everyone involved!

If you're talking about me amphiton, I have to tell you that I never lost my hope to psytrance and I never will.

I like todays scene. I love todays scene.

This thread wasn't for bitching, but for discussing.

Once again darkpsy is the bad guy.

Stuff like D-nox & Beckers isn't. Iboga records isn't. Minimal house promoted as psy isn't.

No darkpsy is the EVIL! Music made for young chavs, so stoned that they don't care for real quality. Just a bass and random sounds.

But back in 2000 when some artists decided than Psy is not interesting anymore, why not put some minimal techno in it? didn't kill the scene.

When Ticon and Son Kite came from nowhere and become the new trend everything was fine. But darkpsy is bad. It's fast, it's dark, it's hard=it's shit.

I know I sound harsh, but not liking darkpsy is one thing and saying that darkspy killed the scene is another.

How darkpsy killed the scene? It WAS never a popular sub genre, NEVER! Not even today.

Please check the Psyshop charts, this is the shit that killed the scene.

Music made for mykonos bars. Booty shaking dance stuff... yeah right!

Anyway, I don't want to start a war here. All of the above are IMO.

But once again darkpsy is the bad guy.

Who said that Beckers, Ticon or Son Kite has ANYTHING to do with the Psytrance scene of today? ;) Minimal house promoted as psy by the people who want to sell, and slapped on their hands by the people that like psy, righfully so! ;) Ticon for me AND many others has not belonged to Psytrance for quite some while, its just you people that can not let go of their old more psychdelic stuff that still want to be hanging on to a thin thread cause you are not ready to make a leap forward and change your genre. :) But yeah, Dark Psy IS the pest of Psy trance for me, its the Cancer that can not be cured, the most awful kind of music man can imagine. THATS MY TASTE! ;) Please Call it Corpse Trance or Deadmans Emo Shranz, but do not associate it with Psy! :D (damn, I can see Ormion boiling by now!) :lol:

If you're talking about me amphiton, I have to tell you that I never lost my hope to psytrance and I never will.

I like todays scene. I love todays scene.

This thread wasn't for bitching, but for discussing.

How can you expect people not to bitch by calling your thread CANCERS OF TODAYS PSY SCENE!!! :lol: