Aes Dana - Leylines

Nurbs

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, it's out. For me, Aes Dana works best (with few exceptions, such as Lysistrata which is one of my track faves by them) when they make powerful, moody, and emotive/ethereal scores with intriguing introductions and drums, beats, and strong atmosphere. Not dance beats per say.

I'm not a fan of the beat/atmosphere without feeling. Btw their track on V/A - Air was forgettable, though I enjoyed other tracks on that compilation, surprisingly by various other artists more. In short, I hope this album or the next one (if this didn't do it) has a handful of super songs, infectious tracks that get stuck in your head for days as 2009's Solar Field's - Movements achieved.

Btw I don't like to comment much on samples (I'll probably buy this eventually as I own his previous two albums), but based on the samples I've heard so far, I'm not impressed. The album sounds nice, pretty good but nothing great. I hope I'm wrong because I like Aes Dana.

Aes Dana - Leylines (Longer Samples)

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7998

Well-produced this long-awaited album from Vincent. Although still, probably the most inferior Aes Dana album.

Signs is my favourite track from the lot.

Good album, but not excellent.

Although still, probably the most inferior Aes Dana album.

interesting.

I was just checking samples and I'm sorry to admit, this doesn't blow me off the chair. It's far from bad, the sound quality is actually perfect, but ... it lacks something.

I'm saying that because I own Memory Shell and that one was significantly better.

I mean, what rights do I have to judge an album from samples, I know ... but still...

I think its getting better each time I listen to it, found it good but a bit bleak to begin with but it feels better now :rolleyes:

And I'm very pleased that there is more variety in the tracks, which I thought was missing on Memory Shell.

Well-produced this long-awaited album from Vincent. Although still, probably the most inferior Aes Dana album.

Signs is my favourite track from the lot.

Good album, but not excellent.

We need a review up soon.

I believe some should say this anyway sooner or later. Leylines provide no concept. While several tracks provide some deep atmospheres, there's no flow (each track starts off on its own, with no transmission). That's a decent drawback (for a long awaited album like this). Second drawback is volume level: while there obviously has been some special intent in making it sound the way it sounds, it's badly missing a couple of dB's of proper volume. Finally, not so many tracks that really stand out on the album. I haven't had a chance to hear anything similar to the deeps of Dew, Haze, Onset Data, Chrysalis, Opalin, etc. The most conceptual track (made mostly in the manner of old Aes Dana) seems Heights, which is (imo) the best track on the album. Not that the rest is completely pale, because certain concept is still there. I'll refrain from throwing any more negative criticism as I figure what's said is enough. Apart from those things, Leylines is fairly good piece of deep ambient with psychedelic touch.

3.8 out of 5 for Leylines.

I wish I had a writer's talent to make comprehensive review of this piece, which with no doubt needs a better elaboration.

I listened like 5 times but I can't really remember anything other than it was pretty bland but not bad. Good background music I guess....

Exactly. "Bland but not bad" (modest way to say "boring"? :)).

I believe it won't be fully fair to actually call it bad in any known sense of this word. However, it leaves a strong feeling of something utterly undelivered.

I'm going to take back almost everything I said above about "no concept" thing. :) How on earth would there be no concept? The problem (in fact not a problem at all, but to make it clear) is lack of catchiness of music like this, which makes it impossible to judge from first couple of listens (the mistake I did). Very intelligent music to be catched from the first try. Updated rating from me: 4.5/5 (previously: 3.8/5).

Highlights:

1) Heights

2) Alignments

3) Signs

4) Blossom

I think this will be my favourite Aes Dana album. First 5 listens were with smooth psychedelics, and now sobered up it still offers that great depth that works through the ultimae albums.

Great, great album.

Yeah, this is a definite grower but one thing I have learned with ultimae over the last few years (knowing they often grow) is not to force them. This I will leave for a while and come back to it in a more reflective mood.

• 10 months later...

The more I listen to Leylines, the more I regret about my hasty reaction I expressed year ago, declaring that the album doesn't have concept. It's extremely conceptual. Deep, intelligent, profound, psychedelic ambient. One of the best examples of music I've been looking for for ages. It's definitely up there on a par with all the previous albums. Vincent keeps it steadfast.