Ambient music with creative & interesting pads

Malevol3nt

I'm a sucker for good pads. :D

I'm looking for something that may or may not have a beat to it, since I'm fine with both cases (altho beatless can be less interesting if the artist isn't creative enough). Ambient music with alot of revolving pads but not just plain sustained pads, rather unique pads that change over time.. Maybe that's asking too much, but I guess what I'm looking for are artists that are really creative with their pads, or that at least use alot of them while they seemlessly melt with each other.

Non-commercial music is welcome, but typically I've found that it's not as much creative when it comes to pads. Just pastin a bunch of different pads with each other doesn't ensure the music will be interesting to listen to, so I need something that will not neccesarily bore me out at the first listen (like the average drone stuff thats out there).

There are pads in psybient/electronic music aswell, but they're typically set in the intro's and very short. A recent example is VA Future Memmories - Track 7: Snakestyle - Neutral Buoyancy - it has a really sweet pad in the beginning. A good example would be Carbon Based Lifeforms - Gryning which has the most awesome pads I've heard in a while - it has a nice beat to it aswell.

I'm a sucker for good pads. :D

I'm looking for something that may or may not have a beat to it, since I'm fine with both cases (altho beatless can be less interesting if the artist isn't creative enough). Ambient music with alot of revolving pads but not just plain sustained pads, rather unique pads that change over time.. Maybe that's asking too much, but I guess what I'm looking for are artists that are really creative with their pads, or that at least use alot of them while they seemlessly melt with each other.

Non-commercial music is welcome, but typically I've found that it's not as much creative when it comes to pads. Just pastin a bunch of different pads with each other doesn't ensure the music will be interesting to listen to, so I need something that will not neccesarily bore me out at the first listen (like the average drone stuff thats out there).

There are pads in psybient/electronic music aswell, but they're typically set in the intro's and very short. A recent example is VA Future Memmories - Track 7: Snakestyle - Neutral Buoyancy - it has a really sweet pad in the beginning. A good example would be Carbon Based Lifeforms - Gryning which has the most awesome pads I've heard in a while - it has a nice beat to it aswell.

Like I said a million times before Psyfactor-Endless Universe

Superb pads!

The album you are looking for, which I have recommended many times, is the grand synthesizer masterpiece, the holy grail of anything that is both ambient, spacy & psychedelic, created in 1981: Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding.

It doesn't matter that it is old. Once you have listened to it a few times with headphones and eyes closed, you will look with a different perspective at a lot of (modern) electronic music that you thought was good.

The album you are looking for, which I have recommended many times, is the grand synthesizer masterpiece, the holy grail of anything that is both ambient, spacy & psychedelic, created in 1981: Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding.

It doesn't matter that it is old. Once you have listened to it a few times with headphones and eyes closed, you will look with a different perspective at a lot of (modern) electronic music that you thought was good.

Actually I do love old music & I don't have that much of a perspective for music released in the past decade.. it's not that groundbreaking with a good replay value as the older stuff. My personal view on things.

Thanx for the recommendation. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I also strongly recommend Steve Roach - Arc of Passion. The title track is simply a glorious, soul stirring work of electronic music.

While other long-time electronic artists, with similar big discographies, are only shadows of what they once were (like Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis), Steve Roach just keeps getting better, reinventing his art.

This guy lives for ambient, he breathes ambient, he is ambient. And he is able to make a living of his music/website. What an amazing artist, I can't praise him enough.

Also looking forward to his latest collaboration album Stream of Thought, which sounds very interesting and diverse.

http://www.steveroach.com/store/store.php?item=409