Dark Ambient

abasio

Not really sure I hear anything too IDM ish but 12. Atrium Carceri - Frosted Snowflakes is a little harder than those surrounding it. It's the one that starts with a Japanese sample has heavier beats at the end, 13. Spielerie & Mantacoup - After The Shockwave has a slight melody at the start but that fades into a cold windy track with some scattered beats.

The 13th track is the scariest concept IMO, nuclear war is scarier than ghosts & horror movies.

No, I don't mean the Atrium Carceri one, that one isn't IDMish. Atrium Carceri fits in, even though it's a harder track. The Spielerei & Mantacoup track is the odd one out IMO. It doesn't sound the least bit dark to me. You are right with the scary concept, but ... after a shockwave? Nuclear winter? My geiger counter doesn't even register a tick. I just see abstract forms, electronic beats and clean air. What did I bring a gas mask for? The dark atmosphere comes back in the next track and it's present in the one before, but not in that one...

But that's just my impression. Nice mix :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't mean the Atrium Carceri one, that one isn't IDMish. Atrium Carceri fits in, even though it's a harder track. The Spielerei & Mantacoup track is the odd one out IMO. It doesn't sound the least bit dark to me. You are right with the scary concept, but ... after a shockwave? Nuclear winter? My geiger counter doesn't even register a tick. I just see abstract forms, electronic beats and clean air. What did I bring a gas mask for? The dark atmosphere comes back in the next track and it's present in the one before, but not in that one...

But that's just my impression. Nice mix :)

Maybe I just have a different perception of that track! The whole album for me is white dark! Maybe out of place but I like surprises!

I am just glad that that is track 13 & therefore fits the title (like I was supposed to do that :lol:)

Maybe I just have a different perception of that track! The whole album for me is white dark! Maybe out of place but I like surprises!

I am just glad that that is track 13 & therefore fits the title (like I was supposed to do that :lol:)

Yeah, you can see how tastes differ ... but I find it cool that you chose it to be the 13th one even though you weren't really intending that :)

and sephiroth for some interesting drumming and dark ambient

yes, yes, YES!

like I said, +100 to that ... Sephiroth (aka Ulf Söderberg, that's him too ... check it out if you don't know) is really awesome!

some samples there: http://www.coldmeat.se/sounds/sounds_sephiroth.html

I want more of that... O.o!

Ooooh yeah, that's what I want aswell ... I'm a huge fan of Sephiroth/Ulf Söderberg!

Here is a full song of him :)

However, I haven't found any other artist that makes as good music in that style as him. Gotta wait till he gets a new album released...

There is Oorchach - Chtonikka which I stumbled across lately. This release is industrial-focused, but it has a bit of this gothic-mystical majestic atmosphere floating around at times that I knew only from Sephiroth before ... maybe you want to check it out

And in the industrial sector you can find artists who combine tribal elements with industrial/dark ambient sounds. Check out Tzolk'in for example ... maybe you like...

Yeah, you can see how tastes differ ... but I find it cool that you chose it to be the 13th one even though you weren't really intending that :)

Spooky isn't it :ph34r::lol:

Amazing how things just work out :)

Loved track 13... and especially loved track 16/17. Which is the style I was hoping I would get with this mix (wouldn't say I'm dissapointed though, very good nonetheless). Lots of reverbey type stuff... lots of cool bass and stuff and just generally very dark. I think I know of a couple of things added to my wantlist...

recomendations for albums like track 16/17?

Oh and you wouldn't happen to know of any good albums/eps/ w/e that are a crossover between dnb and dark ambient? Like a set I heard which I'll linkage some time tomorrow.

recomendations for albums like track 16/17?

Oh and you wouldn't happen to know of any good albums/eps/ w/e that are a crossover between dnb and dark ambient? Like a set I heard which I'll linkage some time tomorrow.

About the mix between D&B & dark ambient I have no idea, there is a lot of dark drum & bass out there but it doesn't create the same atmosphere as dark ambient does IMO but if you are still curious try here I've been impressed by DJ Krust but the atmosphere is night time yes but dark like dark ambient? No.

About Orbit Constructions... I have not heard anything else like them, they sound dark & spacey like music from a black hole.

No, I know what you mean by the dark mood of dark dnb/darkstep etc, and its quite different... anyway set uploaded so you can see what I mean. It's definitely a crossover with dark ambient or at least a very very similar mood.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4e541/n/U...ill_dnb_mix_mp3

and erm, chill probably wasn't the best word to describe it heh lol.

No, I know what you mean by the dark mood of dark dnb/darkstep etc, and its quite different... anyway set uploaded so you can see what I mean. It's definitely a crossover with dark ambient or at least a very very similar mood.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4e541/n/U...ill_dnb_mix_mp3

and erm, chill probably wasn't the best word to describe it heh lol.

Cool, will download it & take a listen. Sounds really interesting, a mix of D&B and dark ambient :blink::D

• 2 weeks later...

Camanecroszcope, which is actually Iszoloscope and Ah Cama-Sotz, is also a good choice, until now they've released two albums:

- Echoes Ov Who Lieth Dead But Ever Dreameth

- Echoes Ov A Beckoning Arcanum

FYI, I just got the news that a new Atrium Carceri album is going to be released soon on Cold Meat Industry.

Title will be "Souyuan", release date is the 26th of November...

Cool, will download it & take a listen. Sounds really interesting, a mix of D&B and dark ambient :blink::D

The mix ended up sounding just like the artists I recommended you!

Dark D&B but not what I was hoping for :drama:

Flint Glass.

• 2 weeks later...

dark ambient ?

Plague Recordings!!!

http://www.discogs.com/label/Plague+Recordings

awesome material :)

VA - May The Plague Be With You

is simply fantastic

• 1 year later...

There is Oorchach - Chtonikka which I stumbled across lately. This release is industrial-focused, but it has a bit of this gothic-mystical majestic atmosphere floating around at times that I knew only from Sephiroth before ... maybe you want to check it out

GOD FRICKEN DAMN, I am the man!

Some days ago I remembered the sound of this act and forgot the name.

And it fricken annoyed the heck out of me.

I searched EVERYWHERE!

Tons of backcatalogues of all dark ambient labels I know.

Until I remembered "maybe I posted it here".

And so I began searching through the posts here.

AND I FOUND IT!

Thank you, RTP from fricken 2 years ago, you made my day. Today! :D