New school gems that never got the recognition they deserve

Ormion

I know that we have talked many times before about albums that never got the recognition they deserved, but that was mostly for the old school (>2000) era.

Why not talk about hidden or not so hidden gems of the new school era (2000 to date)?

I'll start with my choices and some small comments. I also decided to write only about albums.

2000:

LOS-Predator: Greek project. Great early darkpsy style with many Goa elements. It never got released outside Greece (I think), so unfortunately it never got the recognition it deserves.

Johann Bley-Signs And Signals: Dark atmospheric yet melodic full on with loads of guitar that surprisingly never annoy. Some very nice tracks including my all time favorite Ghostride.

2001:

Hara Gobi-Music Is The Drug: Not a mastepiece, but one of the most strange and hippie-attitude Psy albums ever made. The artwork is classic.

Space Tribe-Shapeshifter: Well known album, but never fully recognised as one of the best acidic and fully melodic full on around. Great stuff!

2002:

Domi Pastor-Immortality: Another album that although it's actually just good its style is unique. Like a less melodic Muse Rapt.

Space Tribe-Heart Beat: SP is known mostly for his old school period or his new full on stuff. But this album (just like Spaceshifter) is a great! The Acid Test is a classic now (and it deserves it 100%), but what about the rest of the album?

2003:

Prodigal Sun-Do Not Panic!: Acid, acid, acid! Such a unique release!

Frequency Deluxe-Frequency Deluxe: Totally intense hard full on. The first half is pretty boring, but that last 4 tracks are stormers!!!

Steptime-Steptime: Such few comments for such a great forest bliss!

Trashlords vs Psychotic Micro: Another gem that seems forgotten now. Great (and quite melodic) dark psytrance.

Four Carry Nuts-Mechanical Age: It's a known album, I agree. But in a year that Talpa and Filteria took all the fame, it seems that this superb album was forgotten pretty easily. A real monster with some of the best tracks ever made! (Hexagon and The Violet Ray)

SynSUN-Symphonic Adventures: Another album that became pretty famous in its release period, but today such a few ppl metion it. For me it's as classic as Talpa and Filteria. All time favorite!

2005:

Shift-Excession: Another album that although pretty popular (at its time) never got the recognition it deserves, not even close. You see for me Excession is one of the 10 best albums ever made. So I was hoping that it will remain a classic and not just for me (the same with both Twisted System albums although they are far more popular, so I didn't add them in my list).

Pitch Hikers-Twilight Zone: Albums like that don't just happened every day. Yet ppl still talking about Goa and stuff, but not this. Why? Because it's full on? This is the peak of creativity and it deserves more IMO.

2006:

Multistate-Collaborating With Machines: Who talked about this beyond Otto and me? None. Not even in Isra took a lot of reviews. Oh, come on! This is absolutely amazing!

Psyfactor-Endless Universe: I mention this album because of the amazing flamming it got from some listeners. I tried (and still trying) to realize how anyone can say bad things about this album.

Unstable Elements-Technical Illusion: That's the definition of the hidden gem. No more to say.

Brethren-The Legend Of Cane: Anyone remember it? Only me? Yes it took the test of time and yes it deserves more.

The Nommos-Primal Meltdown: One of the best creations in the history of Psytrance and such a small recognition. Shame.

2007:

Hiyarant-Collision: Again words failed me to express my sadness that this gem almost never got mentioned in ''best modern Psy'' talks.

Frozen Ghost-Edible Technique: ^^^ x2

Narcosis-Exploding Madness: Acidic darkpsy with haunting atmospheres. Real extreme music.

CrowNick-New Sapiens: Anyone listened to that? No? Too bad.

Dark Nebula-Sacred Scars: Luna Orbit went fulll on, but this is as melodic and spacey as it get.

Insaneacyde-Squigeeverse: Another hidden gem. Such a great release.

Zion Linguist-Subliminal Message: The same with Hiyarant and Frozen Ghost.

Orbit Constructions-Androneda: Yeah, keep ignoring it people.

Tryambaka-The Colour Of Time: One of the best of 2008. Furious, melodic, pure psychedelic.

Brethren-The Price Of Prophecy: People asking about story-telling Psy. Well here it is! Go buy it!

(I'm not gonna write more 2008 releases, I'll give them some time).

That's it. Write yours.

And remember that this topic is not just about unknown albums, but about great albuns that today seem forgotten.

2006:

The Nommos-Primal Meltdown: One of the best creations in the history of Psytrance and such a small recognition. Shame.

Indeed. Still, I try to mention it whenever the opportunity comes up.

Are they? Loads of people seem to have raved about this in the reviews (and I'm grateful they did - I passed over it after a quick listen to the samples when it came out, but gave it another look after reading the reviews. And it is indeed quite special).

A few additions from me:

Dark Nebula - The 8th Sphere: Nobody except me seems to realise that this is one of the best albums ever made.

Trold - Once Upon a Time....: I'm surprised there aren't more Trold fans here, given how many fans of melodic stuff there are.

Alien Mental - Mind Hack: This really is very, very good.

Khooman - Is a Flexible Liquid: This has everything that good psy-chill should have, without the ethno-clichés.

V/A - Raindrops in the Forest: Has anybody else bought this?

indeed Alien Mental!!

Not really the type of music overall psynewsers would enjoy, but since psykovsky had a great review I fidn it strange that this one isn't mentioned. This is a bit in the same style but harder and more mechanic I think. But it has the some blurry confusion effect. It is very chaotic but still well structured. And very foggy which makes it mysterious and deep.

I will start in 2004...

2004:

Luomuhappo - Pog-O-Matic Pogomen 3000000

For me still one of the best suomi cds ever, funky, happy, positive and weird!

2005:

Ghreg On Earth - Sigilweaver

Great industrial feeling, straighforward and powerfull!

2006:

Unstable Elements - Technical Illusions

I agree with ormion, very good ambient

Zero Cult - Art of Harmony

Trance ambient with an emotional and sometimes "normal" trance touch, but I like it alot

Electrypnose - Subliminal Melancholies

It got some attention, but not what it deserved! It is in my top 3 best ambient albums EVER, period

2007:

Sattle Battle - Sounds Cool

One of the best suomi cds ever

2008:

Goa Times

Great selection of classics and the liquid flow track blew me away big time, a pitty about the way too cheesy last track

Irezumi - Endurance

Fantastic deep cold and emotional ambient

Gus Till - Aquana

More melodic ambient, but very good for sure

Electrypnose - Subliminal Melancholies

It got some attention, but not what it deserved! It is in my top 3 best ambient albums EVER, period

Yep. I don't know if I can be as categoric as you are, but this is definitely something that should be put next to the best names there are.

I would also like to add Torakka - Far Out Express. Even if it seems it has nice attention judging from the review, I think it is something really unique and it is not always considered as such.

Space Tribe - Thru The Looking Glass (2005)

What AMAZING acidic full-on. Just listen to the acid that kicks in around 1:00 in R U Normal or whats going on in A Pinch of Psychedelic For me, these are some of the very few tracks that come close to the all time acid track Acid Air Raid.

Ubar Tmar - Macrometasomakosmos (2002)

Oh yeah!! Psychedelic trance which is actually psychedelic! :o twisting! swirling! and complex!

Other albums (the ones which got more recognition) I liked are -

Androcell - Efflorescence

Capsula - The Synthesis of Reality

Deviant Electronics - Blunt Instruments

Ghreg on Earth - Sigilweaver

Principles of Flight - Nighttime Lullabies

• 2 weeks later...

A few additions from me:

Dark Nebula - The 8th Sphere: Nobody except me seems to realise that this is one of the best albums ever made.

rest assured, this is a widely appreciated release. the few times i played i (at least) slipped in the dark nectar, just 'coz it's so funny to see people go mad on it :lol:

btw, stuffing the opening track with baldur's gate 2 samples, this was an immediate favourite of mine even before the first kick fell in :D

on-topic again: i think both Opsis releases don't get half the recognition they deserve. manicly pumping floating mindshattering soulstretching earthquake-invoking psychedelic techtrance at it's best.

• 2 months later...

I know that we have talked many times before about albums that never got the recognition they deserved, but that was mostly for the old school (>2000) era.

Why not talk about hidden or not so hidden gems of the new school era (2000 to date)?

I'll start with my choices and some small comments. I also decided to write only about albums.

2007:

Hiyarant-Collision: Again words failed me to express my sadness that this gem almost never got mentioned in ''best modern Psy'' talks.

Frozen Ghost-Edible Technique: ^^^ x2

Narcosis-Exploding Madness: Acidic darkpsy with haunting atmospheres. Real extreme music.

CrowNick-New Sapiens: Anyone listened to that? No? Too bad.

Dark Nebula-Sacred Scars: Luna Orbit went fulll on, but this is as melodic and spacey as it get.

Insaneacyde-Squigeeverse: Another hidden gem. Such a great release.

Zion Linguist-Subliminal Message: The same with Hiyarant and Frozen Ghost.

(I'm not gonna write more 2008 releases, I'll give them some time).

That's it. Write yours.

And remember that this topic is not just about unknown albums, but about great albuns that today seem forgotten.

wow dude thanx for mentioning me with praise! i am real happy now :posford:

maybe u will enjoy my new upcoming FREE downloadable album called Alternative Medicine coming towards the end of the month. Now that i found this place again i will keep u updated for its release. Dont worry, just because its free doesnt mean its inferior to my last released stuff (in fact i have spent much more time, sweat and tears on these tracks)

wow dude thanx for mentioning me with praise! i am real happy now :posford:

maybe u will enjoy my new upcoming FREE downloadable album called Alternative Medicine coming towards the end of the month. Now that i found this place again i will keep u updated for its release. Dont worry, just because its free doesnt mean its inferior to my last released stuff (in fact i have spent much more time, sweat and tears on these tracks)

That's great! Any plans for a cd release? :)

BTW your track Vermin Courtesan is amazing! :clapping:

Digicult - Avenida De Belgica

Very dynamic album with intelligent breaks. Melodies are emerging in the middle of the track. Excellent Melody Full On, but a just a small review ... too short!!

Evolution Spring - Parallax World

Good album. All the stracks are very varied & original.

Eskimo - Balloonatic - Part One

Full On album really wonderful. It's the best Full On albums... the reference.

Mind Warped - Fluorolizard

Great melodies!!! Realised in 1999, (ok), but success very shy, unfortunately :unsure:

Planum - Elaborate

Album very surprising and original. Looks like Infected Mushroom's atmosphere.

Psychoz - Psychoz

Album in a pleasant acid/techno style.

Psyknights - A Faint Light From The Depth

Excellent album, which immerses us in a heroic fantasy universe. Some similarity with Infected Mushroom.

Space Buddha - Eternity Project

Cheesy melody, not a mastepiece but pleasant.

Tripticon - The 7th Portal

Very great Ticon's project and really amazing. But, many people don't know this item. What a pity!!!

TETRAMETH - Psychological Pyrotechnics (Zenon Records - 2006)

Wonderful hypnotic psychedelic progressive trance!

MA FAIZA & VEET SANDEH - Liquid Dreams (Masti Music - 2006)

Great (ethno-) chill out music!!

OCELOT - Dream Selector (Vertigo Records - 2006)

Sweeet Psychedelic trance....

SQUAZOID - Fantasia (DemonTea Records - 2008)

Not a masterpiece but nevertheless very good Psytrance and totally forgotten in 2008.....a bit of a shame....

That's great! Any plans for a cd release? :)

BTW your track Vermin Courtesan is amazing! :clapping:

thank u Ormion, yeah i had alot of fun doing that track

maybe i will do a cd release if there is enough interest but its expensive when u independent/unsigned

i will release artwork etc (some is on insaneacyde facebook page already) for each track and high quality mp3's and ogg versions

still looking for a good place to dump the data thats easy for people to download from

if say 100+ people want hard copies i will definately print a limited edition :)

• 2 weeks later...

Digicult - Avenida De Belgica

Very dynamic album with intelligent breaks. Melodies are emerging in the middle of the track. Excellent Melody Full On, but a just a small review ... too short!!

Evolution Spring - Parallax World

Good album. All the stracks are very varied & original.

Eskimo - Balloonatic - Part One

Full On album really wonderful. It's the best Full On albums... the reference.

Mind Warped - Fluorolizard

Great melodies!!! Realised in 1999, (ok), but success very shy, unfortunately :unsure:

Planum - Elaborate

Album very surprising and original. Looks like Infected Mushroom's atmosphere.

Psychoz - Psychoz

Album in a pleasant acid/techno style.

Psyknights - A Faint Light From The Depth

Excellent album, which immerses us in a heroic fantasy universe. Some similarity with Infected Mushroom.

Space Buddha - Eternity Project

Cheesy melody, not a mastepiece but pleasant.

Tripticon - The 7th Portal

Very great Ticon's project and really amazing. But, many people don't know this item. What a pity!!!

The albums you mention are quite my style, it's nice to see others appreciate them too! :)

I've never heard of Tripticon but you mentioning that it's a Ticon project and the promising name just made me instantly order this CD. I hope it's as trippy as it sounds. How is it if you compare the sound of it with the last two Ticon albums?

The albums you mention are quite my style, it's nice to see others appreciate them too! :)

I've never heard of Tripticon but you mentioning that it's a Ticon project and the promising name just made me instantly order this CD. I hope it's as trippy as it sounds. How is it if you compare the sound of it with the last two Ticon albums?

I think that we have the same tastes. You'll not be disappointed by this album (I hope) :lol:

This album was a big surprise because I didn't know the tracks (no samples archive like saikosounds) :unsure:

I was lucky B)

1 Deeper Level - 7/10

2 Tiny Little Box - 9/10

3 Electro Pipe - 7/10

4 Portals Of Time - 7.5/10

5 Heavy Sync - 4/10

6 Hand Full Of Stars - 6/10

7 Monochrome - 5/10

8 Mind Puzzle - 9.5/10

9 Tripticon - 8/10

You will notice an error. Track 8, Mind Puzzle has a glitch around 5:16 (light) <_<

How is it if you compare the sound of it with the last two Ticon albums? I would say that I find most groovy.

I complete the review when I have time here

Now that sounds promising! :) I was not too sure if I would like the music after reading some of the comments and reviews here but I'll trust your taste. ;) I hope the album will arrive soon so I can give it a try...

• 4 years later...

Well i don't know if it's ignored in the ambient scene, but if it's ignored in the psytrance scene, that's because it's not psytrance. This is more pure ambient a la Mathias Grassow.

Anyway, massive album indeed.

Two albums off the top of my head were

Speedball- Human Disorder. Dark and intense twilight music. One of my all time faves.

Kut n paste- Relapse awesome delicious twilight.

They're from 2009 so maybe they don't count for this discussion.

Mdk