Basilisk's Essential Selections

Basilisk

On 3/21/2022 at 3:26 PM, Wabax said:

I wanted to take a look again, and check for news but... the blog seems to be down... is it ? :o

From the site:

"Originally launched in 2008, it is now undergoing an extensive rewrite for 2020."

I haven't asked him, but I think he underestimated all what happened and this might take longer :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Celaripo said:

why did you delete all your reviews on psynews? 

There were outdated and often contained broken links. These days I'd rather self-publish reviews on my own site. I've also learned a lot about music over the years and my taste developed and changed, so it's sometimes a little embarrassing to look at old writing from back in the day, especially during the peak of the "write super long in-depth track-by-track reviews" era :unsure:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Basilisk said:

There were outdated and often contained broken links. These days I'd rather self-publish reviews on my own site. I've also learned a lot about music over the years and my taste developed and changed, so it's sometimes a little embarrassing to look at old writing from back in the day, especially during the peak of the "write super long in-depth track-by-track reviews" era :unsure:

I appreciate that you answered that, but I'd like to say that I think, that the very thing that you avoided actually makes its charm ... I do love to go back in time and look at old stuff I wrote in reviews ... or when somebody exhumes a thread. It's golden, because I also see how I was thinking and sometimes recognize where I maybe was wrong, because nowadays I experience music differently ... it's a good insight and can help you get better not only concerning music, but also maybe in your whole life - because it would be naive to assume, that you will not feel the same in maybe 10 to 20 years time about the posts you publish now ... at least for me it is, I'm very sure of it :P

That said, you can't escape from the archive.org where all the old stuff is archived anyways ;)

What you practically did was comparable to "deleting a video from a goa party in the eraly '00s" (and a well made one - because I think your reviews were well made) ... it's almost a borderline sacrilege (in my opinion); because this content can never be repeated again...
...but in last consequence, everybody must stay the master of his/her content here and I will forever keep it that way if I can. So if you want it like this, go on, with still my best wishes -_-

Well put RTP, reviews and written thoughts in general always capture a moment in time. I’m sure we’ll all look back and remember the good old days sometime. The times are certainly changing at an ever increasing pace.

In the future we might reminisce this very forum and its countless reviews, through something like waybackmachine or similar. Depending on what part of the censored internet we might have access to. ;) We already see the tendencies..

And @Basilisk, I don’t think you have anything to feel ashamed for.  Your reviews were alway very well written. I think reviews are a bit like old photos, you might look at them and think hey those clothes and that haircut looked kinda funny. Who knows perhaps all these cultural expressions, will be of interest to anthropologists in the future.

• Thanks 1