Basilisk's Essential Selections

Basilisk

Hello everyone,

I would like to present a new project I have been working on; a vast archive of (mostly psytrance) releases that I personally recommend: Basilisk's Essential Selections.

Please read the introduction; it explains a lot about my intentions. In a nutshell, this little project provides a "big picture" overview of psytrance and electronic music history as illustrated by the releases themselves (and according to my personal taste, of course). It is not meant to be an authoritative guide to the classics and you won't find all your favourite oldies listed. This isn't purely a retrospective project either; eventually I intend to provide recommendations all the way up to the current year. 

Comments are welcome! And enjoy the guide... hopefully it provides you with a different perspective on psytrance and electronic music history.

Edited by Basilisk
Updated links for 2019 :)

I agree with the picks for the most part. Some good stuff is missing - then again taste is subjective. I also reckon you've included some pretty average (mainly comps) cds there but... nitpicking! this is good effort all in all. :)

nice list ... this is cool

although physically I only own 13 items of that whole lot (listened to more though) :D

Basilisk shines again. Excellent addition to an already great site.

Long live Ektoplazm!

:clapping:

As I am going through the selections, I am seeing that you have labeled the entire 470+ releases as ESSENTIAL collections.

What releases amongst this archive will qualify according to you as MUST listens before I die?

In other words are you considering rating the CDs and then give your readers the option of TOP 10 or TOP 5 for each year or something like that. This will help folks who have limited funds to purchase ALL releases.

Thank you!

Basilisk shines again. Excellent addition to an already great site.

Long live Ektoplazm!

:clapping:

As I am going through the selections, I am seeing that you have labeled the entire 470+ releases as ESSENTIAL collections.

What releases amongst this archive will qualify according to you as MUST listens before I die?

In other words are you considering rating the CDs and then give your readers the option of TOP 10 or TOP 5 for each year or something like that. This will help folks who have limited funds to purchase ALL releases.

Thank you!

A lot of the cds link to his review of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the great comments and feedback!

trancedigital said:

I tried my hand at a top 5 by year; check out the new "hall of fame" feature. I certainly haven't made my mind up about what really belongs there and can guarantee the selections will change... but it's a start!

I think I will also begin to write small histories for each year to describe what was going on and also highlight a few releases that play into the larger narrative... but that may take a little while. As always, it is a work in progress...

Hello everyone! I'm bumping this ancient thread to announce that I'm reviving my Essential Selections project on my new DJing and music fandom blog, located here. Some of you might remember the original version of this project but this new version is much more ambitious. I now include more styles, a consequence of having developed a much broader taste in music, as well as brief descriptions of each release. I just published the first entry, a list of what I consider to be the best and most noteworthy albums of 1995. Hopefully I'll be publishing additional entries throughout the coming years :)

Glad you are rebooting your series on your blog. Looks very nice! Hard to get excited with just 1995 up BUT we know there's a lot coming and you're already adding a lot more detail then just 5 picks per year. Really look forward to this! :wub:

• 4 months later...

Makes for a good read while re-listening to some old classics, as well as discovering stuff I've somehow managed to miss out on before. :)

• 1 year later...