Psytrance and intelligence

buzzman

In most cases hiphop fans are very closeminded towards other types of music and wont even allow their mids to dick psytrance. I´ve also experienced that girls are more likely to allow their minds to listen psytrance then boys. But usually ost people like their style and are unlikely to be attracked by another style because they want to stay loyal to their styles.

in all cases of my hip hop friends from both Sweden and Germany, they are super mega into Elektronika and Psytrance. They love dancing to it, and going to the freaked out parties. A lot of my Skater friends are also into Electronika and Psytrance. I guess that is a Swedish or German thing though... Must be! ;):lol:

Radi, you are one of the MOST close minded person towards music I have ever seen, even within your OWN genre.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in all cases of my hip hop friends from both Sweden and Germany, they are super mega into Elektronika and Psytrance. They love dancing to it, and going to the freaked out parties. A lot of my Skater friends are also into Electronika and Psytrance. I guess that is a Swedish or German thing though... Must be! ;):lol:

Radi, you are one of the MOST close minded person towards music I have ever seen, even within your OWN genre.

But still, he knows he's close minded. Which makes it a bit funny :D

Well, I'd say there is something to it.

Intelligent people are usually more aware of why they like / don't like something, so they consciously look for something that'll challenge their minds - be it hobby, books, movies or music. They don't simply consume; they like to analyse stuff, explore the intricacies, think and discuss about it etc. Therefore, I think the possibility of intelligent individual liking (good) psychedelic trance over e.g. happy hardcore (or other more dancefloor/party oriented electronic music genre) is pretty high, although it doesn't automatically mean he'll like it at all.

Thats exactly my thought's. And as Supergroover sais about complex/complicated music as jazz or whatever, it's the same boat in my eyes. Allthough it is electronic dance music, it is THE most complicated kind, that tells stories instead of repeated melodies. It plays with your mind, and is build in complex layers.. You get my point :)

Haha, yeah +1000... Don't think i've ever met a hiphopper who doesn't like something ells as well... Raggae, electronic, even pop music

Im always very surprised at parties when you see all these fucked up people wearing weird clothes looking like the biggest fuck-ups on earth, and when you go talk to them they turn out to be physics PHD`s, lawyers, doctors, business men etc...

So, in a way im always surprised at the high level of education of psytrancers, its definitely higher then at at techno parties. I think psytrance is much more of an escape from reality then other forms of electronic music, so you find a lot of "normal" intelligent people who let it go all out, especially at summer festivals. I guess you could call them weekend hippies...

I have found a big hole in you theory buzzman!

I listen to psytrance a lot (and solar fields Mr. Melancholy) but I am dumb as fuck!!!

I don't believe you're dumb as fuck, when you are able to write such creative, insightfull reviews. And just caus you've done "to many stupid things in your life", doesn't make you stupid.. Just human ;) If you do the same mistake several times, okay, then you are stupid. I don't know if thats the case with you :)

Well.. I can listen to just about any kind of music. Goa, psy, trance, ambient, metal (yes both death and trash & others), rock, jazz, classical, hiphop, russian millitary songs (:ph34r:), game soundtracks (UT99 OST :wub:), movies soundtracks .. It really depends on the mood. There's crap music in every genre, so while I enjoy just about every genre out there I can't say that I enjoy every artist from each of those genres.

Oh and that comment about fans of death metal (and other metal genres) being less friendly.. that's not true. Sure I felt the same way before I knew these kinds of people personally, but once I did get to know them I found out they're just as friendly as anyone else. I'd go so far to say that they're more "open" then most people, they express their love towards music especially during a live concert (altho there's allways that group of 15 year old teens who think metal is all about smacking other people in the face...).

There's friendly and open-minded people in every genre, you can't really divide people by what they listen to. They weren't born with the genres they like, they learned to love them.

since these people http://www.darkane.com/ are personal friends of mine, I know a thing or two about death metal, and I must say, those people are the fucking bomb! :)

I love Darkane. Those guys are fucking ace. Especially the drummer.

A lot of my Skater friends are also into Electronika and Psytrance. I guess that is a Swedish or German thing though... Must be!

Definitely ;)

There are retards in every genre.

Since I'm into classical piano music these days (among other things) I've been all over Youtube, enjoying recordings from pianists etc.

One time I found an old and obscure recording of some composer playing his own work and I expected to read interesting and intelligent comments there. Normally I don't read much Youtube comments, because it's usually a lot of flaming and trolling etc.

But the video I found was the last place on Youtube where I would except such things. Boy was I wrong..... you wouldn't believe the flaming, insults and narrow minded people posting there.

To think that such people also like classical music and somehow end up watching the same video, posting crap like that... it was kind of disappointing.

I love the insults on youtube, they really make me laugh, I don´t like trolling but I like when people insult each other like Feathers does, I even have to luagh when he insults me and I am not mad at him, if he insults he has a reason and shows things were I am wrong. i am for insulting someone when he does something wrong then not telling him at all. That was offtopic but I couldn´t help me.

Not too long ago I put some etnica-tracks on my friends\' mp3 player (he\'s into hiphop / mainstream stuff) and he said he could enjoy it somewhat but he can\'t listen to it all the time cause it drives him crazy. It was okay as background music he said. Made me think about patience one has for music..

He (and most of my friends) really liked Hunab Ku - Matrix though :P

Etnica has lots of weaker tracks that really aren\'t good for much other than background music....

Well.. I can listen to just about any kind of music. Goa, psy, trance, ambient, metal (yes both death and trash & others), rock, jazz, classical, hiphop, russian millitary songs (:ph34r:), game soundtracks (UT99 OST :wub:), movies soundtracks .. It really depends on the mood. There's crap music in every genre, so while I enjoy just about every genre out there I can't say that I enjoy every artist from each of those genres.

Oh and that comment about fans of death metal (and other metal genres) being less friendly.. that's not true. Sure I felt the same way before I knew these kinds of people personally, but once I did get to know them I found out they're just as friendly as anyone else. I'd go so far to say that they're more "open" then most people, they express their love towards music especially during a live concert (altho there's allways that group of 15 year old teens who think metal is all about smacking other people in the face...).

There's friendly and open-minded people in every genre, you can't really divide people by what they listen to. They weren't born with the genres they like, they learned to love them.

fully agree with all of this one ... except classical, but even that I've started to like more than before

my music repertoire has changed a lot over the last years from a trance-only list (gosh, I was even more closeminded than Radi back then :D ) to a wide variety of genres and bands ... from psytrance and chill over dark ambient and industrial up to various forms of metal (including the famous crazy finnish humppa metal :D ), rock, jazz, electronic even up to hiphop (couldn't believe it, always hated that) and indescriptible genres (Attwenger!)...

So you can't really fix intelligence to a music genre ... rather measure intelligence by seeing how openminded the persons listening to music are...

oh and +1 to the friendly metal people aswell ... most of them are ... although fights can take place when they are drunk enough, but they're never aggressive, evil fights but rather a good old fun beating to spice up the evening...

you know, on the few chav "rave" (schranz techno, commercial trance and hardstyle) events I have been to I sometimes felt this kind of agoraphobia coming up in me ... it's like I can smell the aggression in the air and when there's a fight somewhere it's never cool but always emotionally aggressive, evil, biting ... you can sense the unfriendliness and aggression there ... it's horrible ... I don't wanna be there ... on metal or psy festies I feel a kind of warmth, a kind of comfort even if there are mosh pits or crazy dancers ... it's a good kind of aggression and not the type of explosive unfriendly cold I experienced on those chav raves...

you know, on the few chav "rave" (schranz techno, commercial trance and hardstyle) events I have been to I sometimes felt this kind of agoraphobia coming up in me ... it's like I can smell the aggression in the air and when there's a fight somewhere it's never cool but always emotionally aggressive, evil, biting ... you can sense the unfriendliness and aggression there ... it's horrible ... I don't wanna be there ... on metal or psy festies I feel a kind of warmth, a kind of comfort even if there are mosh pits or crazy dancers ... it's a good kind of aggression and not the type of explosive unfriendly cold I experienced on those chav raves...

There's a place I go to that hosts a few different raves, one of them being a psy night (which is the only one I go to) and the rest being other styles and I never ever came accross violence... then I decided to try out one of the others they hosted. In the queue waiting to get into the place there was a chav coked up to the eyeballs picking a fight with someone in the line, but he was that fucked that he couldn't figure out who it was so he just kept storming into the queue, being shoved/yanked away, then storming back again, lunging at someone else each time. The night just got progressively worse. I've found since that even though at psy raves everyone is totally screwed on whatever they can get their hands on, their tends to be something else other than the macho thing of 'boshing' ten pills at once or whatever. It's probably the same thing acting in both cases, the atmosphere, but I guess they're just very different to one another. Even when I have chatted and danced and been happy with the chavs that do frequent psy events they're just happy people the same as the rest. There is also far less of an obsession with the guys slapping the girls arses and whathaveyou... Just generally less testosterone perhaps? It's probably very much linked to irritating things like mdma being more popular and it's effect of making their penises shrink as well as just 'the vibe' though.

intelligence is defined to promote a certain way of thinking. but then, there is the incompleteness theorems of gödel.

psytrance can promote a new way of thinking; that can be considered intelligence, but of what use without wide cultural support is a question, a nice one

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO an intelligent person should be able to appreciate any music that has depth and is made with thought, as long as its explained, irrespective of taste.

I think it requires more intelligence simply to process all that audio information! There could be many different layers and multiple melodies interacting with each other and slowly evolving throughout the track, which is moving at a fast pace, and yet I am able to comprehend it all in real time and follow the intricacies.

However I usually only enjoy goa trance. I find most full-on psytrance just hard and loud, usually containing lots of layers that don\'t work together properly => noisy.

So I am unsure here, perhaps someone could further comment: Do people actually enjoy psytrance tracks in the way I enjoy good goa trance tracks? Am I not intelligent enough to understand full-on tracks, or perhaps I am too intelligent and realize there is nothing behind all those layers of effects?

I think it requires more intelligence simply to process all that audio information! There could be many different layers and multiple melodies interacting with each other and slowly evolving throughout the track, which is moving at a fast pace, and yet I am able to comprehend it all in real time and follow the intricacies.

However I usually only enjoy goa trance. I find most full-on psytrance just hard and loud, usually containing lots of layers that don\'t work together properly => noisy.

So I am unsure here, perhaps someone could further comment: Do people actually enjoy psytrance tracks in the way I enjoy good goa trance tracks? Am I not intelligent enough to understand full-on tracks, or perhaps I am too intelligent and realize there is nothing behind all those layers of effects?

Perhaps you should chill out.

I don't think it has much to do with intelligence and rather with your personal & emotional background...

I mean, there are lots of dumbasses in the scene, and that counts for every kind of music.

Let's say emotional intelligence & experiences overrule IQ in this matter. Your feelings towards the world will play a big role in your choice of music.

For example, if I'd say that that the "glue" between all Psytrance lovers is their attraction to the unknown and fantastic, I'm pretty sure that most of you

would agree. That would mean that Psytrance lovers are usually to be found in the emotional category of people that are fascinated by the unknown.

What do you think, does this make sense? :)

I like Japanese psy girls because although they have the cool hippie style, they still shower, shave & are really materialistic deep down :drama:

Believe me, the Belgians do the same... Hairy hippies are typical for the 60's I guess, these days things have changed! Power to the modern hippie girls :P

On Topic: well, I don't think there is a link between intelligence and goa trance whatsoever... Altough I do think people that are hyperkinetic tend to listen easier to this kind of music

I don\'t think it has much to do with intelligence and rather with your personal & emotional background...

I mean, there are lots of dumbasses in the scene, and that counts for every kind of music.

Unfortunately I wouldn\'t really know as there is no psy scene here. Maybe someone could comment on the overall intelligence in the psy scene vs. other types of music like pop or rap or whatever? I\'m sure there will always be dumbasses listening to every kind of music, and many people who listen to psy music for different reasons or get something different out of it than myself, but I\'d be interested if, on the whole, you meet a lot smarter people in the psy scene.

Let\'s say emotional intelligence & experiences overrule IQ in this matter. Your feelings towards the world will play a big role in your choice of music.

For example, if I\'d say that that the \"glue\" between all Psytrance lovers is their attraction to the unknown and fantastic, I\'m pretty sure that most of you

would agree. That would mean that Psytrance lovers are usually to be found in the emotional category of people that are fascinated by the unknown.

What do you think, does this make sense? :)

It makes sense, but I can\'t really comment on whether it\'s true or not.

On Topic: well, I don\'t think there is a link between intelligence and goa trance whatsoever... Altough I do think people that are hyperkinetic tend to listen easier to this kind of music

Maybe the music makes them hyperkinetic.