Psytrance and intelligence

buzzman

I've thought about this sometimes... When you see people who don't understand psytrance, but listen to hardstyle or electro and stuff like that.. It's usually the hooligan type, or just slight retarted people(not tojudge ALL hardstyle fans). Can it be, that their brain just isn't strong enough to process all the different layers and sounds of psytrance, so that they will never be able to experience the beauty in a "grower"(you know the tracks that we need to listen to several times before understanding it). That they can't disconnect the sounds, and feel each instruments. Caus if you can't do that, it's no wonder it just sounds like noise to them.

I know some "rather dumb" people who are into fullon like the new INfected mushroom, Growling machines, GMS-enjoy the silence(shit like that) wich is IMO empty music, just like hardstyle. They say they love psytrance ( :lol: ) but every time i put on something REAL, they don't like it.

Maybe my theory is just bullshit, caus i know alot of intelligent people, who DON*T like psytrance, but then again, they aren't into electronic music at all.

Any experiene or theories on this?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if people not understanding psytrance are lacking intelligence, but i sure know that understanding psytrance doesn't necessarly mean you are an intelligent person ^_^

More seriously, i think it's just about tastes and musical education - my best friends who are the most intelligent (subjective notion in a way) persons i know don't get psy/goa mainly because of the fast bpm.

i don't think you can relate intelligence to taste. If you do find a correlation it might have more to do with one of the 1000 aspects that you cannot take into account in your research. One of those aspect probably has more weight in the correlation than taste.

some problems:

1) who do you define as a psytrance listener? someone that only listens to psytrance or also someone that listens to it every now and then?

2) Are you checking for the use of drugs? Because these interfer with your tests.

3) intelligence in itself is a concept.. not all researchers agree that on this concept.

4) is dali psytrance? and atmos? and eskimo? what is psytrance?

Well, I'd say there is something to it.

Intelligent people are usually more aware of why they like / don't like something, so they consciously look for something that'll challenge their minds - be it hobby, books, movies or music. They don't simply consume; they like to analyse stuff, explore the intricacies, think and discuss about it etc. Therefore, I think the possibility of intelligent individual liking (good) psychedelic trance over e.g. happy hardcore (or other more dancefloor/party oriented electronic music genre) is pretty high, although it doesn't automatically mean he'll like it at all.

Therefore, I think the possibility of intelligent individual liking (good) psychedelic trance over e.g. happy hardcore (or other more dancefloor/party oriented electronic music genre) is pretty high, although it doesn't automatically mean he'll like it at all.

1) why should psytrance be less dancefloor orientated?

2) if you do want to take intelligence into taste. It might be more interesting looking for a relationship between complicated music (arrangementwise) in general (incl jazz, avantgarde etc) and intelligence, instead of just one specific genre of music which we think is more intelligent than others.. which sounds a little like "all music styles are equal, but our style is a little more equal than the rest" to me :lol:

I'd not say that there's a rule that persons who listen to more complex music are more intelligent. You can't strip it down that way.

However, I'd agree that it has to do with some sort of brainwave state that affects the music you hear, something that goes deeper than mere taste, you know. It's some kind of partnership, so to say ... your mind state influences your musical preference and the music you hear influences your mindstate. And this goes beyond the simple "today I'm tired, so I listen to chill"-rules...

Well, I'd say there is something to it.

Intelligent people are usually more aware of why they like / don't like something, so they consciously look for something that'll challenge their minds - be it hobby, books, movies or music. They don't simply consume; they like to analyse stuff, explore the intricacies, think and discuss about it etc. Therefore, I think the possibility of intelligent individual liking (good) psychedelic trance over e.g. happy hardcore (or other more dancefloor/party oriented electronic music genre) is pretty high, although it doesn't automatically mean he'll like it at all.

To my knowledge, intelligent people usually don't let their conscious minds influence their enjoyment of music. They are able to like anything, regardless of shit like "intricacies". Sorting music into good and bad by set properties inhibits the ability to listen to and like music. My two cents.

That's another take on it.

In General, when it comes to Psytrance or Progressive, I have met very few DUMB people. The more when it comes to Other genres of Elektronika. However I would be very careful with generalize this, as I do not hang out in those scenes, and can only judge from the very few people I have met. People listening to Gabber though, do seem to be very dump! (just kidding) :D

Taste! Yes indeed!

someone said to me once:

"Intelligent people listen to classical music"

I said to him

"And they are so fucking boring"

:D

I know some dumb ass classical lovers too :ph34r:

I have found a big hole in you theory buzzman!

I listen to psytrance a lot (and solar fields Mr. Melancholy) but I am dumb as fuck!!!

+1 :lol:

yes i feel more intelligent when i listen to good psytrance bit in reality i too am dumb as fuck.

maybe a lil more intelligent than those really really dumb people you think psytrance is a bunch of noise

I have found a big hole in you theory buzzman!

I listen to psytrance a lot (and solar fields Mr. Melancholy) but I am dumb as fuck!!!

No you are not! Psytrance proved it!

I know some dumb ass classical lovers too :ph34r:

Yeah, of course, thats why I answered like I did. I love classical music, rock whatever really. Psytrance and Chill is a passion though :) Intelligent or not, this scene is special (if its good or not, that I do not know anymore though) :D

Usually I tend to have more deep conversations with people that like psytrance, and often I do not even know that they like psytrance to start with. :)

2) if you do want to take intelligence into taste. It might be more interesting looking for a relationship between complicated music (arrangementwise) in general (incl jazz, avantgarde etc) and intelligence, instead of just one specific genre of music which we think is more intelligent than others.. which sounds a little like "all music styles are equal, but our style is a little more equal than the rest" to me :lol:

:lol: yeah I guess that would be a better.

I think it's also to do with the "type" of person you are that affects what music you like (in a very harsh generalization) so hooligan types might like dance, generic full-On or what ever... So I think its more in the aspects of social connections that peoples actual tastes (still in general of course) are affected.

So do intelligence affect "what kind of person" you are or who your friends are? That's a whole different discussion!

Because I sort of have the same experiences with people as buzzman talks about, certainly here in Denmark.... but its actually not so much if "real psy-trance" attracts intelligent people or not, but more if stupid people like stupid music :lol: not really sure that's true, or if a truly stupid music genre exists?! :P

+1 :lol:

yes i feel more intelligent when i listen to good psytrance bit in reality i too am dumb as fuck.

maybe a lil more intelligent than those really really dumb people you think psytrance is a bunch of noise

No you are not! Psytrance proved it!

Yeah, of course, thats why I answered like I did. I love classical music, rock whatever really. Psytrance and Chill is a passion though :) Intelligent or not, this scene is special (if its good or not, that I do not know anymore though) :D

Usually I tend to have more deep conversations with people that like psytrance, and often I do not even know that they like psytrance to start with. :)

Stupid is as stupid does & I have done too many stupid things in my life to consider myself intelligent.

I'd rather be happy than right any day though

i think the reason most of ppl don't appreciate psy music is that they consider music as a background noise to the times they socialize or party. they don't want to pay attention to every single detail of the music, rather they want to have beatles and bob marley playing on background and sing with it every once in a while (and i think it's because of same reason that pop music always has vocals, because it's much easier to attract ppls attention to some crap that you're singing compared to complicated layered tunes)

I definatly think it has something to do with intelligence. I have the described desires. I like to analyze music, to discuss about it, when listening to it to imagine worlds and to let the music draw images in my brain, however I don´t think I am very intelligent. I talked to many people who dont like goatrance and they indeet say it sounds all the same and it is boring, people listening to mainsream music except fast adrenalyn and euphoria, goatrance is very different, the euphoria isn´t as strong at once, but it gets way deeper than Pop music for example. I think that people with less intelligence can´t imagine anything when they are listening to goa trance however people who are more itnelligent imagine psychedelic worlds or other things and they like yet need goa trance to hear. I also think that people who listen classic are intelligent, because classic is a music with little euphoria but rather with interesting sounds and it is very detailed. for someone not very intelligent it will sound boring because he wont notice the fine noances in classic which are there all the time. But for more intelligent people classic might be interesting because it can be interesting fo them.

Ofcourse taste plays the main rule here but I think that more people who are inelligent will listen to goa trance or even classic then people who are dumb. And the guys who are saying they are not intelligent here, they can´t decide if they are intelligent or not because we can´t tell for ourselfes whether we are intelligent or are not. There are even two kinds of intelligence, the creative intelligence and the logical inteligence, I guess people where the left part of the brain is working harder, so the people who are more logical are more likely to listen classical than the creative people but it´s just assuming. People with the right part of the brain working harder will like music rich in sounds and with a deep atmosphere as goa trance is or for example some more complex metall because the atmosphere and changing souds will draw pictures and atmospheres in their creative brains.

That´s what I think.

Taste.

I've met some really stupid and narrowminded people, who are big psytrance lovers.

Narrowmindness has really nothing to do with intelligence at all.

And Goa Bill, why aren´t you so honest and just say I am plain stupid instead of hiding it, Feathers is one of the more intelligent peole out there but he is very direct and tells everoyne his opinion and says whether someone is dumb or not.