2008 so far

Ormion

Ok, we have 2,5 months till 2008 ends with many interesting releases coming soon.

But what do you think about 2008 so far?

I think it was good. Pretty similar to 2007.

To be honest I have stopped expecting the super year that everything will sound great. This is how Psy is gonna keep going IMO.

A lot of releases, some bad, some average, some good. This is how all music genres go, huh?

Of course so far winner is once again SA scene for me. :)

And what I see is that for every old artist that goes bananas, a new interesting artist appears.

Your thoughts?

From what i have listened so far, the albums i loved are:

- "9th" - Ra

- "Flights of Infinity" - Jikkenteki

A few other albums i liked as well, such as "Human" by Hol Baumann, "The Core" by I Awake and "Vision of Suraya" by Colourform.

But the 2 above are really standing out for me.

Waiting for the next Suntrip compilation which i am sure, won't fail to deliver.

Kino Oko-ADH

Electrypnose-Funked up

ADK-Progressing

FREq-Remixed

Artifakt-the magus

Kluster-missing link

Braincell-Frequency Evolution

Tegma-Lo-Fi adventures

Ticon-2AM

pretty good Fullon as well: Headroom, Sine die, U recken, Digicult, Burn in noise

I don't see any reason to be disappointed

Nothing much except MINILOGUE - ANIMALS, EXTRAWELT - SCHONE NEUE EXTRAWELT, DELTA - MINUSMAN, RA - 9TH, and KINO OKO.

Yep,those are good yet most of them are not Psy Trance.

I personally don't think I've heard a single good Psy Trance release in 2008. Maybe The Delta being the only one worthy

Ra - 9th

V/A - Opus Iridium

Jikooha - Revolution Spaceship

Tamlin - Spectrogram

V/A - Freshly Cut Tomato

Headroom - Artelligent

Digicult - Out Of This World

Tegma - Lo-Fi Adventures

Those I've liked a lot. Good year imo, I can see the future being as solid.

From what I've taken the time to review (in brief)

Ishq - Timelapse In Mercury (Virtual Musical Reality) was very disappointing but not bad in the end

C.P. McDill - Rain 1 (Webbed Hands Records) Amazing how rain can sound so good for so long

Colourform - Visions of Surya (Virtual Musical Reality 2008) very descriptive of alien landscapes

Tamlin - Spectrogram (Faerie Dragon Records, Gi'iwa) an excellent mix of everything. Brilliant uptempo stuff

Eat Static - Back To Earth (Interchill Records) weird, enjoyable but lacking cohesion

Various Artists - Ease Division 3 (Spiral Trax) a disappointing compilation by solar fields. his track was awesome but some very dodgy choices

Emanuele Errante - Humus (Somnia) very nice descriptive ambient

Ra - 9th (Suntrip Records 2008) good at being melodic psytrance

Various Artists - Future Memories (Interchill) great tunes no cohesion

Evan Marc + Steve Hillage - Dreamtime Submersible (Somnia) amazingly deep trippy stuff

Orbit Constructions - Androneda (Demon Tea Recordings) amazing dark space ambient, think black hole journeys

Gas - Gas 0095 (Remastered) (Microscopics) a great remastering of a great album

M-Sphere - Floating (Yellow Sunshie Explosion 2008) picked up & moved on from where he left off, melancholic yet melodic.

Vataff Project - Kalitz (Aleph Zero Records 2008) dark bulgarian forests anyone? Yes Yes

I Awake - The Core (Ultimae 2008) at first I wasn't so impressed but it grew on me in it's slight IDM nature

Various Artists - Opus Iridium (Suntrip Records 2008) amazing double CD of psy trance & psychedelic meanderings into chill

Various Artists - Materia Musica (Ajana Records 2008) a few duff dracks, zoe whatchamacallit was awful but overall very good slightly dark chill.

Indigo Egg - ixland (Celestial Dragon Records) more ishq type alien worlds

Artifakt - The Magus (Timecode 2008) timecode doing what it does best, making great in your face slaps of music

Jikkenteki - Flights Of Infinity (Par-2 Productions 2008) extremely deep psychedelic stuff. great!

Orchid Star - Birth/Re-Birth (Liquid Sound Design 2008) a step back in the right direction for LSD, lush dubby summer chill.

Hol Baumann - Human (Ultimae Records 2008) good music but not enough new stuff

Distant System - Spiral Empire (Celestial Dragon 2008) excellent music, spacey ketamine trance just hoiw I like it

Evan Bartholomew - Secret Entries Into Darkness (Somnia2008) dark and descriptive but not that much to make you come back time & time again.

so all in all I think it's been great so far in 2008 & who knows what else I'm going to discover, if only I had more cash <_<

full reviews

Imaginary Sight

only two tracks though, but they're killargh!

true, some are very nice,

short said

first, some fullon artist made the choice to create night fullon what is when it comes to fullon my favourite and that is more remarkable compared to earlier years and let's hope there is more to come,

old skool is still alive and kicking thanx to suntrip, everybody knows that, no need to go in detail :)

progressive has let me down a bit, but then again at last after all this time the concept 'minimal' really

envolved this year and got an actual content with certain borders...

I love it, minimal has always been seen as an influence in another subgenres with the following discussions and misunderstandings.

but this year it evolved fast and with quality, more of this !

considering ambient the distant system concept that was started with asura is back and that's great :)

best of 2008.....

an indefinate list because:

I haven't heard everything I've received lately yet....

I bought a lot of older releases (2004-2007) this year...to fill up my collection....

so here it goes for me:

* MEEO - Highlight me please (Demon Tea Rec.) :posford:

* Kino Oko - ADH (Tribal Vision)

* Anahata - Conduktor / The unmade sound (Area709)...having high hopes for this one...

* Ticon - 2am (Digital Structures)

* U-Recken - Deeper into man (Dooflex)

* Entheogenic - Flight of the urubus (USR)...allthough I find the lenght of the tracks a bit short, but that's probably just me.... :unsure:

* Headroom's Artelligent (Nano) could also be a contender...have to listen to it bit more though...

and still have to get my small hands onto Ra's 9th (Suntrip)..., the new Electrypnose, Interchill's Future memories...., Perfect Stranger's Free cloud (Iboga), the new OOOD and Voice of Cod..., Hibernation's debut still has to come out :rolleyes:

so I have a lot to listen to...if my cashflow allows me to be on time that is.....hehe.....

that'sit for now I guess....

progressive has let me down a bit, but then again at last after all this time the concept 'minimal' really

I love it, minimal has always been seen as an influence in another subgenres with the following discussions and misunderstandings.

Check out Vibrasphere - Autumn Lights, really really great progressive. Only one track though, but I think we can expect great stuff from them in the future.

Check out Vibrasphere - Autumn Lights, really really great progressive. Only one track though, but I think we can expect great stuff from them in the future.

although I liked progressive from the beginning vibrasphere never was my thing,

but thanx for the tip, who knows :)

Ra - 9th

Braincell - Frequency Evolution

M.e.e.o - Highlight me please

Headroom - Artelligent

Zen mechanics - Holy cities

Flowjob - Zentertainment

Hoodwink - Audio illusion

Jikkenteki - Flights of infinity

Para halu on the path - Wide range

Sine die - Life hack

Space buddha - No shields

have been the highlights for me. not a bad year but still not as good as 2005 with the likes of ghreg on earth, derango and psykovsky releasing albums that sent the dark psy world into a tizzy. a year like that is hard to come by :D

as of downtempo i'm very happy this year. awesome releases...

up tempo:

Tamlin, Jikkenteki, RA and Opus Iridium are my favorites. i've been rocking them ever since i got em.

in addition, some of Artifakt's tracks are amazing but some of them don't do it for me (the good ones are good enough to love this album though :) ). i wasn't really amazed by u-recken's album but since i've listened to it many times it definitely worth mentioning.

still have to check out kino oko and Freshly Cut Tomato :)

overall, i am really happy so far, and i think there are still few gems on the way. almost 2 and half months to go :posford:

Just in time for some progressive recommendations :) of course, there are a lot of "minimal" tunes on the list. That is where progressive had been heading--one arm of it, anyway.

http://www.ektoplazm.com/journal/progressi...t-october-2008/

Just in time for some progressive recommendations :) of course, there are a lot of "minimal" tunes on the list. That is where progressive had been heading--one arm of it, anyway.

http://www.ektoplazm.com/journal/progressi...t-october-2008/

great thanx :)

La Baaz is amazing minimal imo

Human traffic, kasey tayor, lish, perfect stranger and many more, I'm expecting mush,

zen machines surprises me to be in the tracklist

There have been some good uptempo releases this year but so far nothing has stood out for me quite as much as KDD's or Alien Mental's albums from last year, or The Nommos' from the previous year. Of what I've heard so far Multiple Personalities 3 is my favourite.

On the other hand it seems to have been an outstanding year for downtempo psy releases. I have real difficulty choosing between the Orbit Constructions album, the Distant System album and Raindrops in the Forest.