The psyfarting

Kind of acid sounds? Down tune the oscillators an octave, then either high pass it or cut the low frequencies with EQ or another filter. I like to add a bit of resonance if I use the high pass. Not sure if that's what you're talking about or not. If you're using a pulse wave, adjust the PWM a bit to get the desired effect.

Kind of acid sounds? Down tune the oscillators an octave, then either high pass it or cut the low frequencies with EQ or another filter. I like to add a bit of resonance if I use the high pass. Not sure if that's what you're talking about or not. If you're using a pulse wave, adjust the PWM a bit to get the desired effect.

Why down tune all oscillators? You might as well play the MIDI one octave lower.

Why down tune all oscillators? You might as well play the MIDI one octave lower.

Either/or- I have to program everything because I still lack an MIDI keyboard and saves me some time scrolling as I like to program everything as quick as possible.

I wrote this tutorial a while ago, maybe this is not exactly the sound you are looking for, but close enough... the links dont work anymore I think but I am sure you will get the idea...

Hey,

I thought I'd share some information.

Some people asked me how to do that dark FM saw synth that you can hear in a lot of Psytrance tracks.

The synth will sound like this:

----> http://www.speedyshare.com/314471479.html

Ok,

to follow this tutorial, you will most likely need z3ta. Open a new patch, and try to follow the instructions.

If you want to have this sound ready for use, you can download the z3ta patch here:

----> http://www.speedyshare.com/301841895.html

so I start with a very simple melodic pattern, nothing special here.

Posted Image

In the end our z3ta that outputs a beautiful sound will look like this:

Posted Image

- In z3ta, I will use 2 Oscillators. Oscillator 1 is the modulator, Oscillator 2 is the carrier. Its pretty easy to do this in z3ta.

- first, set the polyphony to 1.

- set Osc1 Wave to "Triangle". Low Triangle waves are awesome modulators for this kind of sound.

- set Osc2 Wave to "Vintage Saw 1". This is our carrier, you can also choose other waveforms, but in my opinion saw waves are the best.

- set Osc1 Group to "FM". This means our waveform is now a frequency modulator.

- set Osc1 Octave to -3 and Osc2 Octave to -1. You can choose other octaves of course, but the modulator should always be 2 octaves lower than the carrier for best results.

- filter 1 should be set to a 12 db bandpass filter with 2/3 resonance.

- filter 2 is a 12 db lowpass filter with resonance and cutoff set at around 1/2.

- next, increase the "Bus" of oscillator 2. This means, more of its signal will go through filter 1 (since filters are cool we want to do this)

- play around with the level of oscillator 1. The higher you take it, the "noisier" our sound will be, so if you dont want to end up with noise, dont set it too high.

- set the "render quality", if you havent done this already, to draft. This will result in a much rawer output. We want a raw, dirty sound, so this would probably be useful.

- next we go to the effects page in z3ta and add a slight bit of delay, and distortion set to maximum amount, type smart shaper, destination filters 1-2.

-also do some EQ to cut a bit of the nasty mids.

here is what the fx page looks like:

Posted Image

-now back to the front page.

- we change the envelope to minimum attack, maximum sustain, maximum decay, no release.

- we add an LFO with destination "filter 1 cutoff", then we add some sick modulation to our filter. Yay. Z3ta has some nice step envelopes that can do some cool LFO things.

These are my LFO settings:

Posted Image

- now play around with speed and range of the LFO modulation until you got something that sounds nice.

- if you wan, you can add some extra tweaking of filter 1 cutoff, and add it as automation envelope.

Well, I almost think thats all of it.

Remember that the modulation amount, that is the level of oscillator 1, is the most important tool to shape the sound the way you like it, either "bassy" or ..well.. "nasty saw like"

I also added some CamelPhat distortion to it, a bit of overdrive really works on this kind of sound.

If you want to go even more crazy and create some rythmic patterns out of it, try CamelSpace.

Here is what I did to our first sound with crazy panned gating:

----> http://www.speedyshare.com/822522242.html

Thats it for today :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote this tutorial a while ago, maybe this is not exactly the sound you are looking for, but close enough... the links dont work anymore I think but I am sure you will get the idea...

Hey,

I thought I'd share some information.

Some people asked me how to do that dark FM saw synth that you can hear in a lot of Psytrance tracks.

The synth will sound like this:

----> http://www.speedyshare.com/314471479.html

Ok,

to follow this tutorial, you will most likely need z3ta. Open a new patch, and try to follow the instructions.

If you want to have this sound ready for use, you can download the z3ta patch here:

----> http://www.speedyshare.com/301841895.html

so I start with a very simple melodic pattern, nothing special here.

Posted Image

In the end our z3ta that outputs a beautiful sound will look like this:

Posted Image

- In z3ta, I will use 2 Oscillators. Oscillator 1 is the modulator, Oscillator 2 is the carrier. Its pretty easy to do this in z3ta.

- first, set the polyphony to 1.

- set Osc1 Wave to "Triangle". Low Triangle waves are awesome modulators for this kind of sound.

- set Osc2 Wave to "Vintage Saw 1". This is our carrier, you can also choose other waveforms, but in my opinion saw waves are the best.

- set Osc1 Group to "FM". This means our waveform is now a frequency modulator.

- set Osc1 Octave to -3 and Osc2 Octave to -1. You can choose other octaves of course, but the modulator should always be 2 octaves lower than the carrier for best results.

- filter 1 should be set to a 12 db bandpass filter with 2/3 resonance.

- filter 2 is a 12 db lowpass filter with resonance and cutoff set at around 1/2.

- next, increase the "Bus" of oscillator 2. This means, more of its signal will go through filter 1 (since filters are cool we want to do this)

- play around with the level of oscillator 1. The higher you take it, the "noisier" our sound will be, so if you dont want to end up with noise, dont set it too high.

- set the "render quality", if you havent done this already, to draft. This will result in a much rawer output. We want a raw, dirty sound, so this would probably be useful.

- next we go to the effects page in z3ta and add a slight bit of delay, and distortion set to maximum amount, type smart shaper, destination filters 1-2.

-also do some EQ to cut a bit of the nasty mids.

here is what the fx page looks like:

Posted Image

-now back to the front page.

- we change the envelope to minimum attack, maximum sustain, maximum decay, no release.

- we add an LFO with destination "filter 1 cutoff", then we add some sick modulation to our filter. Yay. Z3ta has some nice step envelopes that can do some cool LFO things.

These are my LFO settings:

Posted Image

- now play around with speed and range of the LFO modulation until you got something that sounds nice.

- if you wan, you can add some extra tweaking of filter 1 cutoff, and add it as automation envelope.

Well, I almost think thats all of it.

Remember that the modulation amount, that is the level of oscillator 1, is the most important tool to shape the sound the way you like it, either "bassy" or ..well.. "nasty saw like"

I also added some CamelPhat distortion to it, a bit of overdrive really works on this kind of sound.

If you want to go even more crazy and create some rythmic patterns out of it, try CamelSpace.

Here is what I did to our first sound with crazy panned gating:

----> http://www.speedyshare.com/822522242.html

Thats it for today :)

NIce.. Thanks, it works :) Im having trouble with the arp. in Zeta+ though :( Don't really understand it