Anakoluth - Dwelling In The Void EP (Ektoplasm 08)

Goa Bill

Anakoluth - Dwelling In The Void EP (Ektoplasm 08)

Posted Image

01 :: In A Nutshell (9:20)

02 :: Achilles’ Heel (9:04)

03 :: Feinter Les Paupières (9:01)

04 :: Delphic Haze (9:33)

To the seasoned users of this fine forum the name Anakoluth should be pretty familiar and if you are not than this fine EP should be a nice presentation of his creation.

This EP brings us in 4 parts what in my opinion is unfortunately very rare in the scene at the moment and that is a proper nighttime music. It seems that today's definition of night music usually goes too often hand in hand with Dark Psy which is a shame cause a few years ago there were many diverse acts that delivered slower but not less intense music (names like Hux Flux and Kox Box pop in my mind).

All the 4 tracks bring brilliantly evolving Psychedelic Minimal Trance tracks that draw influence from both Ol' school Goa and more modern Zenon records style.

Don't really see the point in going track by track on this release cause all the tracks deliver a very coherent journey from start to end.

The EP was mastered by Sensient so if that doesn't guarantee a top notch material I don't know what will.

And the bonus is that this release is free for download here:

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/anakoluth-

dwelling-in-the-void-ep/

Final Grade: 4/5

If things go as I wish in this scene, Anakoluth's musik will make other artists follow his footsteps, and start producing some of this fine recipe. Truly dark, progressive Psytrance. Through the last 2 years or so, Roman has sent me many tracks for preview listening, and I always said to him that this is the shit! It for sure deserves a :clapping:

This EP does not reek with over sampled sample cds, nor does it stink like its already been done before. This is original Anakoluth stylee! Of course, you can hear the influences, but all artists have their influences! The sound is as described above already, very dark and somewhat melancholic, and that is what I would like to hear on a PsyTrance party just before the sun rises over the horizon.

I am neither go into the tracks, as I dont feel it is needed, and since this album is for free, I suggest you go visit the above link and get your copy TODAY! And if you like what you hear, then support both Anakoluth and Mr. Ektoplazm by buying this fine release.

Final Verdict 9/10, but only just cause I would have wanted In A Nutshell 2 minutes longer! so really a 10/10!

I actually have become really interested in this specific sound...maychance I'll do a few tracks in my own style with this kind of BPM and minimal savvyness...but then there are so many styles I want to produce in.... time :( I definately want to hear a full set at a party with this atmosphere, someones gotta do something about that.

Well, then let us hope that people will copy Anakoluth! :D

Isn't there already tons of such music from the 2000-2003 minimal era?Like Phony Orphants,kind of.

Anyway,it's good stuff but i hate it when a tune starts like boring as fuck and then turns out to be a melodic beast without really building to it.Still pretty good and haunting.

For the melodies lover that i am, i don't normally listen (let alone like) anything close to minimal, but i decided to give it a try since it was freely available in lossless quality.

Without entering in a long review, i'll just say that i have been pleasently surprised by the quality of those 4 tracks.

They have a quite slow bpm compared to most night time music, but i felt the "night feeling" as much - if not more - in Anakoluth's music than in most of those crazy fast paced dark psy tracks.

On a separate note, i also really liked his track on the "Freshly Cut Tomato" compilation.

Again, i'm not into minimal at all - but i do really appreciate the quality of his music, and would recommend anyone to give it a shot even if that might not suit their tastes.

Well done Anakoluth!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for a really nice EP! In A Nutshell is a instant classic for me, a truly classic track, the rest I find less interesting (not bad), but I usually only listen to the first track :P And as I said I love that track, perfect minimalistic atmosphere building slowly to a sonic hurricane (not stressing to get there), really nice spooky atmosphere and great sounds! Only thing I like to add is, why doesn't the track just continue for longer... it could easily take 5-6 min more with no problem! ;) It seems to end when it just starts to peak (i guess that was the idea) but still and extended mix would be nice!

• 9 months later...

Anakoluth - Dwelling In the Void EP (Ektoplazm Records) 2008 (EKTEP03WAV)

Anakoluth is a talented and sensitive person from the mountains of Zurich, Switzerland. He started his journey of music production when he was only 15 and fell in love with the psychedelic tones of trance music in 1998. For many, Anak should be well known outside his musical project Anakoluth as a friendly and warm moderator on one of the world’s largest PsyTrance forums, Isratrance.com. Here he has spent year’s geeking when he’s been in need of creative inspiration and has helped peers find their way through a massive portal of information. In 2004 he got his very first official release on the fairly unknown compilation, Enginewitty released by Cosmic Conspiracy Records based in New Zealand. After this he managed to release a couple of single tracks on VA’s while building a dedicated fan base around the world. In the year of 2008, he decided to release a carefully chosen number of space travel tracks on this very EP released for free for all to download and listen on Ektoplazm.com (here you can choose all medias like mp3, WAV and FLAC to download, free of charge + It's possible to buy the release on a physical medium)

Posted Image

1. In A Nutshell (9:20) 132 BPM

2. Achilles’ Heel (9:04) 130 BPM

3. Feinter Les Paupières (9:01) 137 BPM

4. Delphic Haze (9:33) 134 BPM

1. In a Nutshell starts out eerie with some indications of universal travel in sadness. The beat goes progressive and the mood floats into space mode. The affects echoes in delight with enough voids for them to unfold their crystal crisp sound and image. It’s really nice to be inside this wide open space where the smallest of sounds have enough space and patience to float around and pass you. It slowly builds with more elements being added, never going maximum, only cruising in chilled paprika with a couple of clever samples of the King of infinite space.

2. Some minor hints of summer breeze, or the breeze left by a powerful comet as it has journeyed on into the universal infinity. Calm and... Sorry, my player shuffled to a Solar Fields track, and the track name was by my surprise ‘Breeze’. Ok, back to the king of infinite space, Anakoluth. Dwelling in the Void’s 2nd track, Achilles’ Heel continues the deep and firm bassline indicating together with the open space effects that this EP’s major sound force is subtile and carefully chosen soundscapes of crystal imagination. It’s a calm and sort of creepy track because of the unknown feel of what’s about to happen. It works itself up in slow progressions, taking its precise time to build and add detailed yet minor layers of wisdom to come. Some melodies of sort are added to the travel and it for sure manages to surprise with its melody play and overall skeptical and exiting emotion.

3. The fake eyelashes has an almost irritating string-thing going on, but it holds its ground as the tempo is raised and the aggression in the progression is raised to a new lever for the Dwelling in the Void EP. This track feels more like a stomper and for sure follows the Anakoluth recipe of patience and growth in perfect arrangements. Effects are nibbling and a new element of tribal drums is introduced with a warm and welcoming smile. More space-like sounds make sure we’re not forgetting we’re still in a space like place of travel and comfort. Everything feels so subtle and careful, and then Anakoluth put’s his keyboard to good use with a melodic piece that swings over the tribal drums to perfect its image into something mystical and almost angel-like with sharp weapons of defense to the feel of disco and glam before it with a drastic stop, ends.

4. Last track Delphic Haze is still in a progressive psychedelic trance mood with effects that compared to the former tracks feels less spacey and more like moving towards a destined planet of unknown mysticism. The arrangement of sounds is packed tighter, but not too tight to lose its Dwelling identity. A more ragged synth piece is introduced to compliment the feel of bursting through an alien atmosphere to settle down on a newly discovered planet of hope and dreams. Great stuff, though the landing could have been felt more complete instead of just fading into nothing and ending with you craving for more imagination.

Recommendation: Anakoluth’s debut EP on Ektoplazm.com is something very special, it’s not overly complex at all, yet it’s fine-tuned with the smartest and most comfortable details effecting around in playful maneuvers which takes some intelligence to pull through. The overall feeling throughout this space landscape is about deep minimalistic space journeys with some melodic parts here and there. The old-skool progressive feel is perfectly intact with a special charming touch revived by Anakoluth’s space-brain. I’ve enjoyed this EP on a couple of occasions and one of the better experiences I’ve had with it on the stereo was while taking a longer car drive up to the wide mountains of Norwegian Troll landscapes where mushrooms these days (Late-summer, start of autumn) grow like rays of sunshine imitating newly baked buns of moonshine.

I would also like to tip my hat to the mesmerizing artwork by Alexander Synaptic, it really shines and reflects the musical content with perfection!

This EP escalates and evolves in the gentlest manner, building nicely from the first to the last, telling a story of a journey experienced in ones mental imagination. The total sound is suited best at night for this is night-time spacegressive music with a deep soul and a nifty firm walk that plays along a trail of less is more with cold space-like hypnotic beats pushing it all forward in floating sceneries.

8.2/10

Where to buy, download for free and other links:

Anak's MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/romanakl

Anak's Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Anakoluth

Free Download: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/anakoluth-dwelling-in-the-void-ep

Ektoplazm: http://www.ektoplazm.com

More Space Reviews: http://www.myspace.com/psytonesmusic

• 1 year later...

Posted Image

Artist: Anakoluth

Title: Dwelling In the Void EP

Label: None

Date: October, 2008

1. In A Nutshell (132 BPM)

2. Achilles’ Heel (130 BPM)

3. Feinter Les Paupières (137 BPM)

4. Delphic Haze (134 BPM)

I hate minimal. Hate it. It's just so...minimal. You don't go to Burger King and just ask for the bun. And minimal music has this habit of producing really long track times. Kick, small hi-hat, and bass line for about 5 minutes and then slowly add effects. And because there isn't a lot going on those 5 minutes feel like 10 even though I know they are attempting to build towards something.

I don't have a lot to add to Psytones excellent review, but he obviously liked it. Hit or miss for me. It's definitely nighttime music and I can appreciate the effect it would have in the hours before dawn. The aspect that separates Roman's music from other minimal is that it isn't devoid of melody. Devoid, get it...see what I did there? He also can create quite the eerie atmosphere. Even though it's minimal it is still pumping and crystal clear. The goa touches are also appreciated. So for me there are times when I like this and times that I'm looking at my watch wondering what's on TV tonight. Depends on mood.

One thing I can say is that it is quality and if I am in the mood for it, it's pretty tasty. In a Nutshell is an exercise in the eerie, but especially the last track, it's funky as sh*t.

Me listening to last track:

Posted Image

Ektoplazm

Mdk