Do you feel goa/psy can compare with classical music?

karan129

If I told the average music listener that goa and psy compares with classical music...I'm sure I'd get a "are you crazy" look. I do feel that artistically, with the layers and melodies that goa has, it does compare with the best of any genre. So do you agree/disagree? To me classical music is fine but it isn't at the same level as goa has and sounds similar (though I suppose any genre you aren''t into like sounds similar) Is there any classical music (or heck music from any non-electronic genre) that beats goa and psy? I'm pretty ignorant of other genres so don't go off calling me a music n00b.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked about this with a dirigent this weekend, and he said there are some similarities, because of the melodies playing with eachother, but he also complained about the lack of rhytm/changes, he thought al 4/4 rhytms are boring... He understands it is hypnotic like that, but had problems to find it interesting after more then 5 minutes because of that

Lot of classical music I've heard sounded too chaotic, meaning it just doesn't sound harmonous and I can't remember the melodylines and structures after hearing a piece. I also tend to think the instruments often used just don't sound as good as electronic equipment used in goa.

:drama: (this smiley seems fitting)

I think song structure is the most important difference between good psy and bad psy. Everybody has heard that crappy acid stuff where there is nothing but some kind of wobbly synth that hammers away up and down the scale for the entire duration of the song. That is not structure. That is garbage.

Well structured music has a perfect blend of sounds that complement each other throughout the song. Good Baroque music from the Classical Music period is absolutely stuffed to the brim with wonderful strings, twitters, bass, and melodies that are able to complement each other and are pleasant sounding to the ears. Good full-on psy trance has a wide spectrum of sounds that complements each other also, from a rolling bassline, to fat detuned buzzer saws, water droplets, square synths, and melodies. As long as everything blends perfectly, I consider full-on psy to have Classical qualities (without the awesomeness and dancing).

Oh, and this post won't be complete without :drama:

Lot of classical music I've heard sounded too chaotic, meaning it just doesn't sound harmonous and I can't remember the melodylines and structures after hearing a piece. I also tend to think the instruments often used just don't sound as good as electronic equipment used in goa.

hey, I feel exactly the same!

apples and oranges really. Plus it's comparing music that is recorded live with sometimes 100+ people, while electronic music can be edited at any time and improved at any time. With classical music you need to make that one take that is close to perfect. So it really is comparing apples and oranges.

apples and oranges really.

+ 1

Classical Music is Music par excellence. There is no chance that there will ever be anything nearly as awesome as the great works of Classical Music. That doesn't mean I don't admire anything like I admire Classical Music, but comparing the two would be like comparing God to Jesus or similar.

I would definetely say, though, that Goa is the Classical Music of Techno :)

I tried this experiment backwards, as in what non-classical artists would sound good enough to interest a classical music buff, my father, the type of person that thinks cool jazz is just talking it too far. The result: Ame (Sonar Kollektiv Orchester RMX) - Rej , which is an already interesting dance track. But, this classical remix with the real pizzicato lines and the feel of a real orchestra is just mind blowing....

best i can do to get a short sample, sorry > http://wsm.serpent.pl/sklep/albumik.php,al...EKTIV-ORCHESTER

As for your question, i'm not a classical music buff, but i grew up listening to it and there's sure power in there... you just got to know where to look and have an open mind ;)

I also tend to think the instruments often used just don't sound as good as electronic equipment used in goa.

+1

Everybody has heard that crappy acid stuff where there is nothing but some kind of wobbly synth that hammers away up and down the scale for the entire duration of the song. That is not structure. That is garbage.

Good Baroque music from the Classical Music period is absolutely stuffed to the brim with wonderful strings, twitters, bass, and melodies that are able to complement each other and are pleasant sounding to the ears.

Agreed with that useless acid stuff thing...too many tracks are randomly stuffed with acid. Do you have any Baroque music recommendations?

apples and oranges really. Plus it's comparing music that is recorded live with sometimes 100+ people, while electronic music can be edited at any time and improved at any time. With classical music you need to make that one take that is close to perfect. So it really is comparing apples and oranges.

Doesn't matter how its made, what matters is the final product. Besides you can synthesize classical music now too.

that Goa is the Classical Music of Techno :)

+1

No, not by a long shot. And really, if you think like that you should listen to more music.

If not, then which classical works beat goa/psy?

As for your question, i'm not a classical music buff, but i grew up listening to it and there's sure power in there... you just got to know where to look and have an open mind ;)

Suggestions?

+ 1

Classical Music is Music par excellence. There is no chance that there will ever be anything nearly as awesome as the great works of Classical Music. That doesn't mean I don't admire anything like I admire Classical Music, but comparing the two would be like comparing God to Jesus or similar.

I would definetely say, though, that Goa is the Classical Music of Techno :)

Techno? Your fucking clueless

I think psy is more like classical then goa trance really.

Very nice topic...:)

Well its not gratefull to compare Goa/Psy music with genius quality with serious music who you cant learn all of the knowlegde in 10 lives and its not fair to our great masters who are responsible that we have today all kinds of music,but there are some things we can compare.....alots of oldschool Goa Trance tracks are build in similuar form as some classical pieces,it has 1st main theme,2nd,a bridge between them(or not),main theme workout , introduction,middle part,reprize,modulations,harmonic changes,light motives and so one till morning :lol: thats why we are listening same tracks so long without losing that feeling who brings us this energy.....yes....its has a lack of rythmical changes but its compensed with lots of melodies and sounds you cant have in classical music,and also it isnt just straith 4/4,you have a lots of rythmical figures in it who are changing very often and make tracks richer.....at the end,Goa is Goa because of a melodies,without them it isn Goa ;)

I want to mention also that 90% todays newschool Goa isnt made so,thats why we dont have anymore eternal tracks who will be at playlists 10 years after,most of them sounds great but it losses power after a while.....and we are forgeting them than......everything is based on equipment,sound,not on music herself as before.....(big respect to Ra-9th album who doesnt belong in sentence before)

You said that classical music doesnt give such as feeling like finnest Goa/Psy.......well....belive me....I saw people who are on 10 times stronger trance as some guy on 10 acids and finnest Goa/Psy, just hearing good old Bachs "Goldberg variations",Mozarts "Requiem",Beethovens"9th symphony"(btw. its big shame that Mozart didnt lived just 5 years more,we could have another reform in music because he then started developing a new style of classical music in his last opuses,total oposite of Beethoven style....) and a lots of other great works in every periods......no music can beat this level of conciousness and emotions....

I will never forget my victory agains the straith classical and jazz musitians at my last academy when we had a first party in in the begining,they played some jazz,rock,after a while was boring and started to play some modern crap then I get my hands on cd player and started to play best tracks from Astral Projection and M.W.N.N at the begining,after hearing Juno Reactor-Pistolero they were all mine:)and when they got pretty drunk Sun Project-Space Dwarfs cause a massive euphoria...... from then my parties were very visited and crowded.... :D ,today,most of them are at higher studium or teachers at music schools but one phone call is enough to bring them to my place to have a great fun as before.......so......oldschool Goa is something special also and has old magical (classical) way who will never die and can reach everywhere..... :D

You just asked the question wrong, that's all. You should of asked "Is there classical music out there that gives you the same feeling as some of the goa music", not "does classical beat goa". It's really like asking if the new mountainbike is better then a Hummer H2. I could recommend you the Hummer, but I wouldn't know if you need to drive on the road or go mountain biking. There is no 'this genre is better then that one', because it all comes down to personal taste. Wether you will like some classical music or not, is totally up to you. But genres don't beat each other off.

You just asked the question wrong, that's all. You should of asked "Is there classical music out there that gives you the same feeling as some of the goa music", not "does classical beat goa". It's really like asking if the new mountainbike is better then a Hummer H2. I could recommend you the Hummer, but I wouldn't know if you need to drive on the road or go mountain biking. There is no 'this genre is better then that one', because it all comes down to personal taste. Wether you will like some classical music or not, is totally up to you. But genres don't beat each other off.

With that logic you could very well argue that songs don't beat each other off either. That won't get us anywhere. We have to be a little stupid to get forward.

So I'd say no, there's no classical music with that beefy squelchy bass and rhythm and those soaring arpeggiated melodies.

Well guess what, universally they don't. It's a matter of personal taste. One man's trash is another man's gold. And vice versa.

So why discuss music at all. Why don't let them go "goa is BETTER than classical"?

So why discuss music at all. Why don't let them go "goa is BETTER than classical"?

Well you can allways offer someone a peace of cake they never tried before. He or she might like it, he or she might not. But comparing cake to pizza, that's 2 of a kind! Pizza might give you that similar feeling of joy, but that doesn't mean it 'beats' cake. :)

Well you can allways offer someone a peace of cake they never tried before. He or she might like it, he or she might not. But comparing cake to pizza, that's 2 of a kind! Pizza might give you that similar feeling of joy, but that doesn't mean it 'beats' cake. :)

Maybe not for you. Does that mean you can't like Pizza more than pie? Pie is just better at a different thing? Poo is just better at a different thing?

Besides the fact that the two types of music begin with more or less the same rules, there's really not much to compare. Good Classical music, compared to good Goa/Psy music, is written on a much higher level of discipline, theory and thought. You wouldn't seriously want to compare the paintings you find at Goa/Psy parties with Rembrandt, to take a random example, would you?

I'm sure other genre devotees would love it if their music were like Classical music, too. My opinion is that you should listen to Goa/Psy on its own merits. It's its own thing.

If you can't understand the meaning behind the message then there's nothing I can do to help you. So stop the meaningless fine print discussion, it only gets unfriendly ;)

Why isn't anyone allowed to think goa is better music?

Everyone knows it's not supposed to be the same.

By what criteria do you want to compare these totally different types of music?

As malevol3nt said, on the feeling it gives, since I'm of the opinion that music is fairly subjective and essentially the feeling music gives you is what you base you like/dislike of it on. What I want to know is that can classical music give me the same soaring, euphoric, joyful feeling that oldskool goa does? If so, which pieces can, because I have no knowledge of classical music...

Classical music is overrated really. Sure it's good and complex and all but it's in no way the end-all of music, there's no definite master artist who's better than every other artist just because his genre. Look at Brian Eno, he's easily on the level the classical masters. If you really think Mozart or whatever was superior to all modern artists you need to listen to more music.

That said, goa and classical inspire similar feelings in me and that's pretty much what matters.

If you want to have a discussion like this it would be beneficial to separate the emotions you feel listening to the music with the actual methodologies of composition from recent centuries. We're all experts with the former, whereas very few if any of us are experts in the latter.