Psytrance Marketing

needle ninja

Then, when I play some they tend to think it all sounds the same,

Its cause they dont listen to electronica, or if they do, then only while dancing drunk in clubs where everything sounds the same but in a good way as long as they love it (tiesto, other pop club shit) for their dead brains :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its cause they dont listen to electronica, or if they do, then only while dancing drunk in clubs where everything sounds the same but in a good way as long as they love it (tiesto, other pop club shit) for their dead brains :D

+1

Croatia is fukin horrible :( There's absolutely no psyshops that I know of in this town, maybe there are some in the capital.. but that's like hundreds of miles away. There is one dude downtown that has alot of LP's and cassetes, generally he has alot of old stuff aswell like comic books, paintings etc. I might take a visit once, maybe I'm lucky enough to get my hands on some oldskool material (and on VINYL too, wouldnt that be a steal? wish i was that lucky..)

As for the scene.. We'll we do have an ocasional party organized, the most popular one has to be underwater overground. But most people are just unaware of this genre. O well..

No psyshops over at Zagreb either. CDs by Twisted Records occasionally pave their way through to a shop called Planet Music, which is relatively slowly but steadily turning into a heavy metal orientated shop. But they still almost have the entire back catalogue of psychedelic acts such as The Ozric Tentacles, The Acid Mothers Temple and Tangerine Dream in stock.

The festival you talked about, Underwater Overground is no more. There's a small festival around Pula, I forgot its name, but I heard it's cool. We occasionally have smaller parties in Zagreb called Ministarstvo Psihodelije, which have in recent times become surprisingly popular and attract more people from one event to the next. Interesting thing is that in a few days, the resurrected duo known as California Sunshine will be playing a live gig in this large hangar called Jadran Film in Zagreb. Anyways, during the past two years or so, there was a handful of strong parties with guests appearances of relevant names on the scene, such as Merv Pepler, Ion Ion, Aphid Moon, Talpa and some projects from Wild Thing Records... All in all, our scene is pretty small, but there's always a spark to keep things vital!

The golden age of Zagreb's psy scene is 1998-2000, when parties called Astralis were held. Though that institution and party organization still exist, they have since changed style quite a few times, and are now focused on the whole minimal/electro-house genre. Back in those days, they brought names such as Gus Till, Yaniv Haviv, Tsuoyoshi Suzuki prior to his radical change in direction and James Monro to Zagreb. They are responsible for arousing my interest in the genre and for making me go out there and spending what has until today amounted to thousands of euro on psy trance music releases B)

Most people who listen to this music around here are P2P leechers, so frankly, I don't see a point of even bothering with opening up a psy trance orientated shop. The demand isn't sufficient to offer a single shelf with psy trance music, let alone a shop. Most alleged die hard old schoolers have never even purchased a real album, so no point in further arguing...

The festival you talked about, Underwater Overground is no more.

Most people who listen to this music around here are P2P leechers, so frankly, I don't see a point of even bothering with opening up a psy trance orientated shop. The demand isn't sufficient to offer a single shelf with psy trance music, let alone a shop. Most alleged die hard old schoolers have never even purchased a real album, so no point in further arguing...

It's a shame about the underwater fest. But it was getting a bit too commercial the last time..

Yeah theres hardly anyone buying music over here. There's all sorts of reasons for this. Lack of money, lack of non-pop shops, lack of music shops in general I believe.. the list goes on. When and if that will change, who knows really.

Marketing won't make psy music that much more popular. People can't digest that, they stick to easy listening pop or - if anything electronic - cheap commercial trance.

Think for a second. The average society individual out there who works 8 hours a day and comes home late in the afternoon has neither the time nor the nerve to check out underground music releases! Psychedelic music is mostly not digestive for these kinds of people. You'd just fuel the fire for all the cheap full-on and house-proggie to gain ground, but not the "real" psycedelic trance. I mean, I'd like the house-proggie to gain ground, but still, I wouldn't appreciate big marketing campaigns...

yes.

Marketing won't make psy music that much more popular. People can't digest that, they stick to easy listening pop or - if anything electronic - cheap commercial trance.

Think for a second. The average society individual out there who works 8 hours a day and comes home late in the afternoon has neither the time nor the nerve to check out underground music releases! Psychedelic music is mostly not digestive for these kinds of people. You'd just fuel the fire for all the cheap full-on and house-proggie to gain ground, but not the "real" psycedelic trance. I mean, I'd like the house-proggie to gain ground, but still, I wouldn't appreciate big marketing campaigns...

yes.

yeah, most of ppl want music to be a background noise when they are socializing or doing something. when i'm listening to music i give 100% of my attention to it, i don't think there are that many ppl doing this...most of my friends prefer to listen to good old beatles and sing it together and talk

I am now in the US (Boston) after having lived in israel for a long time... and yeah psytrance is ultraunderground here.

Not only that but everyone here thinks "techno" is all the same (and by techno they mean electronica).

Doesn't really bother me, i just tell them all their shit is the same in return. All the hiphop about bitches and money and shit, all the rock is the same, etc....

Just make crazy sounding comparisons (which are obviously NOT true) and then they start understanding a little.

The people around me have a lot of respect for what i listen to, even though they coudln't stand it for more than 3 minutes haha.

Respect brings respect,

Dav

Now I'm going to a college with a lot of music students - I wonder how one of them would react?...

The more I read about music the more I realize it is taught in such a way as to "build from the established".

I am reading a book by a music industry guy and I know I wouldn't be able to stand him.

I am now in the US (Boston) after having lived in israel for a long time... and yeah psytrance is ultraunderground here.

Not only that but everyone here thinks "techno" is all the same (and by techno they mean electronica).

Yep, it's pretty rare to find someone who even knows what trance is here (Minnesota, US), let alone psytrance. Everything is "techno" or "techno crap". It's strange because I feel like I get to listen to this special music that no one knows about. Unfortunately, it means there are virtually no psytrance acts that perform anywhere close to me, and certainly none that I like. :(

It's not surprising though, psytrance is a very different type of music than most people are used to. It usually doesn't have lyrics either, which automatically means most people won't like it. Simple chords/melodies/beats with generic lyrics is where it's at apparently. :P

It would be nice to buy the albums (and listen) in a shop too, but I don't mind ordering online too much. It's funny looking at the electronic section of the stores that supposedly carry "rare" albums. You can find such rarities as Prodigy, Moby, and if you're lucky maybe some Oakenfold :lol:

Yep, it's pretty rare to find someone who even knows what trance is here (Minnesota, US), let alone psytrance.

Another Minnesotan, my condolences. Last time I was through the area (about 4 and a half years ago) it wasn't much difference. Drum n Bass and techno have much stronger and, unfortunately, narrow minded holier than though following and all forms of trance are generally strongly looked down upon because... well, because everyone else looks down on them. There is in fact a number of people who are into and dig psy-trance in MN, but that entire scene, for the most part, is completely unrelated to the electronic music scene in MN and those people tend to be a bit older and are active in the art circles in Minneapolis and St Paul. I'll actually be back in MN for about ten days next month, but I won't be active in anything musically during that time as I'm just visiting family and such.

Heh, I live in Kentucky, in the United States (no, I don't live on a FARM <_< ), and most people here wouldn't know what psytrance was if it walked up and introduced itself. Basically, I have to rely on the internet and DJ mixes to get all my psytrance. I specifically prefer dark melodic and full-on psy, and I doubt Ear-X-Tacy or any other major record store would have anything remotely close to what my tastes include. Maybe Infected Mushroom, MAYBE. But since B.P. Empire and Classical Mushroom, I wouldn't enjoy anything they hand to me.

I doubt Psytrance can be marketed at all, mostly because, like the people in this thread have been saying, nobody listens to it or likes it unless they're blackout drunk and want to dance to something. For instance, I was driving with my older brother while listening to a DJ Mix, and he said "I like this techno song". I corrected him by saying, "No, you like the DJ, or the genre of trance this is." The problem remains that nobody knows what it is, and nobody will know what it is unless some artist completely blows up and gets a song like Sandstorm to play in clubs across the world. Sandstorm basically revolutionized techno music, because it brought a lot more listeners and followers. Psy could do the same, but only with a smash-hit.

you're not alone. but most people think i listen to metal when they see me :blink:

we need more people to uphold the stereotype! ;)

Well, I also uphold the stereotype of the long-hair that listens to metal. Yes, I uphold both the hippie and metal-head stereotypes simultaneously.

yea here in georgia in the us..not many listen to psytrance..there is an underground scene but its more dubstep/drum n bass/eurotrance related..psy parties go down once every blue moon..most of my friends who are all into mainstream music cant stand listening to psytrance for more than 30 seconds..weak shit <_<

I play psy at the incinerator a lot. Start off so quiet no one can hear it and keep raising the volume minutely every now and then till it seeps into the environment ninja like :ph34r: It's the only way I can get them to stand being in the same room as it. Generally they eventually realise what's going on and force me to turn Beach boys/Queen/Red Hot Chillis back on. They wont even acknowledge it as a music genre. To them it's just noise. I think with most people, especially the old ones set in their ways, trying to train them to actually enjoy psy is pretty futile.

Doesn't stop me trying though... :rolleyes:

I play psy at the incinerator a lot. Start off so quiet no one can hear it and keep raising the volume minutely every now and then till it seeps into the environment ninja like :ph34r: It's the only way I can get them to stand being in the same room as it. Generally they eventually realise what's going on and force me to turn Beach boys/Queen/Red Hot Chillis back on. They wont even acknowledge it as a music genre. To them it's just noise. I think with most people, especially the old ones set in their ways, trying to train them to actually enjoy psy is pretty futile.

:lol:

Mad Psy doctor :ph34r:

yea here in georgia in the us..not many listen to psytrance..there is an underground scene but its more dubstep/drum n bass/eurotrance related..psy parties go down once every blue moon..most of my friends who are all into mainstream music cant stand listening to psytrance for more than 30 seconds..weak shit <_<

Some people have no taste. Amazingly 50% of the Americans I have met have had great taste, the other 50% have sucked. Better than most nationalities I have met. Then again most of the Americans I've met have been travelers & American travelers are a breed apart ;)

Tell them to fuck off & play what you want. If they don't get it just tell them they are not intelligent enough to understand it. You'd be amazed how many morons this will bring round or at least shut up. The Emperor's new clothes works all the time 60% of the time :ph34r:

Ugh. Those people make me mad. People are so ignorant when it comes to music. Music IS noise, but shaped into some kind of rhythm. You should tell them to stick their heads up their asses.

Where are you living? In the interior? Even in Toronto you won't find much psytrance in stores. It's all online. But there are parties--pretty much everywhere. Particularly in B.C. I've seen listings for psytrance events from Tofino to Nelson, in the Okanagan and all over the lower mainland and the Island. I played at a festival on the Sunshine Coast this summer, and then ferried over to Victoria for another gig the weekend after. It's definitely happening out west...

Of course, I agree with the general sentiment that psytrance isn't well-marketed outside the established boundaries of the scene. People find out about this music but it isn't so easy--not in North America at least... well, I know with certainty that my web site is helping with that in a major way. I often receive email from people who have just discovered psytrance thanks to what I am doing. And it makes sense. The best promotion for music is music, after all. When you interact with people outside of the scene and suggest that they go check out Infected Mushroom or Shpongle or whatever, you are essentially asking them to load up some P2P software and get pirating (I mean, who is going to fork out money for something they've never tried before?). With my site, people can simply drop the link and that's it--immediate access to a whole new world of music. No wonder we're closing in on 400,000 releases served...

:)

Ha, I should move to japan, afaik there are no psy shops here, although maybe there will be some time soon. I mean fuck, I saw some guy playing didgeridoo psytrance the other day in the city.

F.F.T-On top!

'On Top!' is psy in its purest form: tons of energy stemming from the tracks' compulsive beats and wicked rhythms, lots of amazing synthie sounds that never stop to amaze with their weird frequencies, and lots of little twists that surprise as well as a heap of crazy-ass samples that range between hot and thought-provoking

Hahahah, this is simple fullon... WTF are they talking about: Psy in it's purest form.

Yeah, this is really mind expanding and psychedelic... Mmmm

:)

Ha, I should move to japan, afaik there are no psy shops here, although maybe there will be some time soon. I mean fuck, I saw some guy playing didgeridoo psytrance the other day in the city.

Japan is well expensive though, it is much cheaper to buy form saikosounds or any webshop to be honest but the feeling of being in a store surrounded by psy is really cool B)