Side chain compression

Ov3rdos3

I don't have experience in that department, but have you done a search for "Fruity Loops Sidechain Compression" in YouTube or Google? They often have decent tutorials there. Also you might get more advice if you ask your question in Music Making rather than Promotion. Stuff gets buried here pretty quickly. May the Schwartz be with you.

I don't have experience in that department, but have you done a search for "Fruity Loops Sidechain Compression" in YouTube or Google? They often have decent tutorials there. Also you might get more advice if you ask your question in Music Making rather than Promotion. Stuff gets buried here pretty quickly. May the Schwartz be with you.

Thanks. I have found some shnifty tutorials on youtube already. How to make killar basslines etc. I will search for side chain compression on there too.

I spend over an hour searching for how to STOP a synth playing in its tracks. without dragging the echo etc. I remember from somewhere it involves making a duplicate synth, linking them somehow, and then when the other synth plays, it acts as an indicator to immediately stop any sounds from the other one. Hanvt been able to find out how to do this though... meh.

I have sampled some awesome clips from the Mighty Boosh season 3 dvds though for my next track. The best one being:

"When it comes to drug taking, Kurk leaves us all in the dust. (Tony Harrison) I mean what is he looking at?? (Head Shaman) No one knows. Kurk is travelling far into the astral realm. (Tony Harrison) He's off his tits! (Head Shaman) He's on the shores of oblivion.......Kurk, if you can hear us....simply nod."

I piss myself laughing every time I hear it.

put a peak controller on your kick, un-click the mute button in it, rightclick on volume-control of your bassline or whatever filter, eq, effect you want to sidechain & select "link to controller". there (@ internal controller) you select the peak-controller you want to link it to & maybe select 'invert' @ mapping formula.

you can control rythm & amount of chaining in the peak controller itself.

it's fairly simple once you figure it out :)

Here..

I made you a .FLP..So u can get the basic idea.

Hope it will help you clear few things a bit. :)

Peace

FL Sidechain Compressor

next time send a .zip.

The bass & kick you used are not fruity standard files, kick and bass are not included in this file.

I think it's always a good idea to save as a zip, fruityloops can read projectfiles in zip's.

And if you save as a zip, all the extrenal files you used will all be in the zip.

It's a good way of storing your old projects, if you ever buy a new computer or loose all your samples then you still have all the used files in your old projectzips.

next time send a .zip.

The bass & kick you used are not fruity standard files, kick and bass are not included in this file.

I think it's always a good idea to save as a zip, fruityloops can read projectfiles in zip's.

And if you save as a zip, all the extrenal files you used will all be in the zip.

It's a good way of storing your old projects, if you ever buy a new computer or loose all your samples then you still have all the used files in your old projectzips.

Yeah i know all that..tnx..i just forgot..:D

Anyway iv uploaded .zip

:)

Here it Is

FL Sidechain Compressor

Tons of ways of doing it, easiest way is to just rig it and automate the volume on the bass going up. You can do that in piano rollout (channel volume), moving the slider yourself, setting up an EQ and doing it on <120hz there, whatever. Next step up is FL's oldschool peak control, never used it myself but it does the same concept.

The real way to do real side chaining is abit more complicated. I'll break it down for you, you probably won't get it right the first time. Note that this way will let you compress synths, percussions, anything, so you can get that classic prog/trance swelling sound.

You need:

Waves C1 compressor.

A kick on FX1

a bass on FX2.

Insert a Fruity Send on FX1 and send it to Send1 (you have sends 1-4 at the very end of the mixer through which anything can be sent to). You'll setup send1 later. On the fruity send set the pan all the way to the left.

Move onto FX2. Do the same thing, just this time pan it all the way to the right. ALSO - you must now mute the bass by bringing the volume on FX2 in the mixer all the way down, otherwise you will have the original bass playing over the compressed bass.

Now go to send1 and setup your Waves C1 compressor. Set the mode to Side chain and set it to L > R (left input goes ontop of right input). You can do it the other way around if you had FX1 and FX2 panned the other way around.

Now you've got it, but its not gonna sound right - that is because everything is gonna come out of the right channel. You must pan Send1 63% to the left (Or in newer versions of FL, set the stereo separation to 0%) - in otherwords you are just trying to get the right and the left channel volume to be equal. 63% does the trick.

The rest is learning how to work the compressor, the release, threshold, and the nature of how you want it to compress. You will likely have to tweak the volume of your kick and bass all over. After this you can learn to use the sends on your other FX to get subtle side-chain like swelling on your leads and things like that.

The above is the Aerosis way of sidechaining :) I was taught this by Infinite Dimensions some years ago