Saddest music ever

Aeros

Hello psynews...

Please share with me the saddest music you know of..I really need some right now. Apologies if this topic has been made 500 times already, I am too sad to go check.

now playing: Regina Spektor - Summer in the City

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ulrich Schnauss - Nobody's Home comes to mind.. (it's got a sad melody to it)

I'll look thru my mp3's, I'm in a so-so mood right now aswell. Not too much but I'm in the mood for these types of tracks.

Edit: Just remembered some more, these ones are from a metal band:

Machine Head - Deafening Silence - click for youtube link, one of my alltime favourites from this band, pretty sad.

And Machine Head - The Burning Red - this one is smooth & easy.

not all these bring sad feelings but might be what ya lookin for. I think its that time of the year...

leonard cohen

sigur ros

explosions in the sky

godspeed you black emperor

mogwai

mono

moldy peaches

the national

blonde redhead

MuM

slowdive

slowblow

iron and wine

elliot smith

yo la tengo

kings of convenience

older modest mouse

tristeza

enjoy

pink floyd - wish you were here

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,

blue skies from pain.

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?

A smile from a veil?

Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

Hot ashes for trees?

Hot air for a cool breeze?

Cold comfort for change?

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,

Running over the same old ground.

What have you found? The same old fears.

Wish you were here.

Machine Head - The Burning Red - this one is smooth & easy.

This is a great song. R u looking for depressing stuff or more stuff thats more angry/uplifting/makes u feel better after? Ill recommend a bit of everythign then I guess. These are almost all doom/sludge/metal. Some aren't really sad/depressing but make u think/feel about things at least.

Acid Bath - New Death Sensation

Acid Bath - Scream Of The Butterfly

Acid Bath - The Bones Of Baby Dolls

In Flames - Tilt

In Flames - Abnegation

In Flames - Come Clarity

Mindrot - Nothing

Staind - Fade

Staind - Epiphany

Staind - Me

Staind - Please

Staind - Reality

Staind - Could It Be

Stone Sour - Bother

Stone Sour - Inhale

System Of A Down - Chop Suey

Eyes Of Fire - The End Result Of Falling

Eyes Of Fire - Dead To The World

Cold - Tell Me Why

Cold - Wasted Years

This is a great song. R u looking for depressing stuff or more stuff thats more angry/uplifting/makes u feel better after? Ill recommend a bit of everythign then I guess. These are almost all doom/sludge/metal. Some aren't really sad/depressing but make u think/feel about things at least.

(sorry for hijacking your thread Aeros), can you recommend me some [new, in fact 2002+] doom metal like: green carnation, katatonia, tiamat,... and burzum, summoning,...

(sorry for hijacking your thread Aeros), can you recommend me some [new, in fact 2002+] doom metal like: green carnation, katatonia, tiamat,... and burzum, summoning,...

Um, yeah most of what I ended up recommending wasnt really doom lol. Katatonia is good but there new stuff isnt doom. I dont know alot of hand Im kinda just getting into it honestly. I get doom/sludge confused cuz most times bands are both genres & they overlap some. I started out with nu-metal, then death/extreme metal far many years till recently. As far as doom/sludge bands, from what Ive heard so far:

Mindrot - well their 2 ablums are from 95/98 but r very good. Out of print though & needs to be remastered

Eyes Of Fire(formed by members of mindrot)

Acid Bath - great, original band. Very experimental. albums again are older though 94/96 I think. again needs remastering

Type O Negative - They're more gothic with doom influences but they're still around afaik

Cult Of Luna - Atmospheric Sludge/Progressive Metal/Post-Hardcore. These guys are awesome. Their newer stuff isnt as hard as the stuff in the vids.

Cult Of Luna - The Watchtower

Neurosis - Progressive Sludge/Post-Hardcore/Tribal/Ambient. Their 1st 2 albums are hardcore punk so Id recommend starting with Souls At Zero, then up to Given To the Rising. Also their album A Sun That Never Sets was also released as a dvd which has videos(very good, surreal, abstract, videos.

) for every song plus an exlusive release by their Dark ambient/experimental 'tribal' noise side project: Tribes Of Neurot.

Basically they use a process where they take the original mix of the album, use a tape recorder to record it again while playing it in an empty room, then re-record over & over up to 32 times I think. Its very weird & the only album I have by Tribes Of Neurot sadly. One Tribes Of Neurot album is made entirely out of insect noises & comes with special lp/cd so u can play them together & have a totally new experience. Also another Tribes Of Neurot album is actually 4 cds that are meant to be played at the same time on 4 different systems one in each direction. I think they have another album that is the exact same length as one of their Neurosis albums & is meant to be played along with it a the same time.

Anyway yeah Im just getting into this sub-genre so I dont have alot to offer & I dont have the hard drive space to test out other stuff atm. A good place to look for doom or any sub-genre of metal is to check the metal archives. metal archives You can search/browse by genre/alphabetically & if u click on an artists page it will show all their albums/lyrics/lyrical themes/current label/active-broken up/etc. Its very handy. Also ppl can review albums so if u want just browse by doom, then pick an artist, check their scores/reviews for their albums & go from there.