V/A - Freshly Cut Tomato

DJ_Psykick

Label: Cronomi Records

Catalog#: cronomi1

Format: CD, Compilation

Released: 11 Jul 2008

Posted Image

What year is this? 2008? Hmm.. Interesting.. It seemed like it isn't. This CD is on repeat for a week now and I'm feeling like I'm 13, and that the year is 1996. A new label called Cronomi Records, run by Michael Anenburg also known as Mike A/Subra/Felis, has released a new debut compilation with the appetizing name – Freshly Cut Tomato. The new founded label is a new name in the Goa Trance scene which is gaining popularity in the past few years thanks to a small group of people who grew up listening to this genre and were the original nineties Trance tribe. This music has happy melodies, open pads and lots of good vibes.

This compilation has 9 tracks which are capable of defining the label as one with high standards very early in its existence. The tracks range from New-School Goa Trance psychedelics with some progressive and night digging in the first part of the compilation to Old-School Goa Trance with the pads and morning melodies in the latter part.

1. Pandemonium! - A Mad Scientists Night (Subra vs Felis Remix)

The opening track is the result of the split personalities of the label owner Mike A. He remixed a track by a fellow artist in the genre. The atmosphere conveyed in the beginning of the track is very reminiscent of Gamma Goblins. This is the feeling I'm talking about – the soundtrack of a horror movie taking place in a doll house when the killer is the clown. A very characteristic track of Mike's New-School style with the background bleeps and the proggy groove. An interesting combination.

2. Anakoluth - Orbiting The Earth

The next track sends us away like a spaceship orbiting the earth into the grim night psychedelia. This track has a very deep bassline creeping into your ear with extreme moderate arrangement and a slow buildup leading many sounds which tell a story that ends with chaos.

3. Jikkenteki With 11 - Super Power Mustard

What an astonishing opening this track has. If I ever needed a track that could describe the concept of a dream in sound terms, this one would do it best. Very lush pads, and a great groove is really doing this to me. After a dreamy beginning this track gets his natural tone which is what they aim over there at Cronomi – New-School Goa. Better sound than the past but with loyalty to the same principles of “feel” and “vibe” of Goa's beaches. Good Track.

4. Alt Anesis and 5Meo-Geo – Ficus

Still in the psychedlia zone, we march straight into the “Ficus Track”. A track with sound complexity, samples and very interesting arrangement. It has a somewhat tech-trance feeling to it, yet very melodic in the Old-School vibe.

5. Subra and Har-El Prusky – Freakagnux

For the production of this track, Mike joined forces with Harel to a few night sessions to conjure the next track. The opening is very tribal with all those tam tams. The sounds play on a scale that goes up and down and suddenly it morphs into a different scale with feelings reminding me of the old touch to the very first trance tracks. In the last section of the track and feeling changes into an Israeli-styled melody, which like back in the good old times, waited patiently to surprise us near the end. No disappointments here, very happy synth lines.

6. K.O.B. - Pitch & Chips (A Fairytale About A Chip)

You won't find your regular dish of fish and chips here. The chips are present but the pitch replaced the fish. This is a very chaotic New-School track. I was personally put into hallucinations by this track. Very busy and loaded. Those who likes the forest style will really go crazy on this one.

7. Merr0w - Pixelized Sight

Let me sit in comfort while I enjoy the closing part of the compilation. The direction the compilation gets from this track and forward is a total recall of the good old Goa Trance days.

Just wow. Listen to this thing! The introduction is amazing with burning hot pads and an analog synth gently pleases the ear. This is a guaranteed dance floor hit. Alternating melodies, a very killer groove and lots of energy. Definitely a storming track.

8. Radical Distortion – Unchristened

I really enjoy listening to this over and over again. This is a really Astral-influenced track. All of the elements are here. The melodies, the musical scale, the beat. Spacy lines which fill in the atmosphere's space with positive energies. Layers and layers of well written sounds. This track is a real pleasure.

9. Astrancer – Ashram

I have a confession to make. This track sometimes made me shed a tear while I was driving. There are some track which I listen to and connect to in an emotional way. I don't need music with lyrics to tell me what to feel. I can interpret the music I'm listening to myself. No one has to make the music verbal, and this is what is so beautiful about electronic music. Music that transfers feelings and emotions through channels of frequencies. Frequencies of electrical current changed to feelings deep within ourselves. This is what this track is all about.

I was really trying to decide which track is this compilation is the best. The last 3 tracks are definitely on the podium, but this track overtakes them all and takes first place. Everything is just right in here. The heavenly melody, the beat, the length of the track (11 minutes), claps that pound along the track in such a correct way, and bass and the eastern melody which throws you high in the air.

This isn't the first time I hear a track by Astrancer, and in every track I am deeply impressed by his level of music writing and production.

The label has made its mark. As far as I know, this label is planning more quality releases. Goa Trance is on the rise and I wish we could see more from this label.

So give a Goa Trance a chance, aight?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Cosmogenesis

I don't see enough comments for this compilation or maybe I missed a thread. But I would like to add a few personal words about it. What Mike A is doing there is amazing! I remember the time he told me he was going to press just a hundred cd-rs from his home under his own way and I was impressed by his desire to bring his contribution for the goa scene.

But now, things have changed, this is not a cd-r, but a real cd mastered by a master, distributed by the best distributor with an official label!! Believe me, this is a huge work to reach this achievement, it needs lot of investments, efforts and thanks to the help of Mars & Anoebis who have a long experience now in this business, he did it! So just for this, he deserves plenty of the support by the goa community. :)

About the compilation itself, I bought it two months ago, and I really enjoyed it. I don't have the time to write a proper review for it, but just to speak briefly, I would say it's really innovative, the artists there are bringing new directions with avoiding overused formulas of classical goa-trance music. So that's important if we would like to escape from the old-fashioned cliché of the goa music and to think about his future possibilities.

I heard about other releases from Cronomi. Artha album will be, I'm 100% sure of that, a big huge album!

Thanks to you, Mike!! :clapping:

After listening to this compilation, I have to say I agree with the review 100%

I'd say this a very dark and VERY fresh compilation.

To tell you the truth, I was only interested hearing this because of K.O.B. [/filteriawhore] and I wasn't disappointed there, really really trippy shiz, but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST @ MERROW

I'm super pumped about hearing his new album after this, it's just.. wow... the most fresh thing I've heard in a while.

Please people, don't ignore this fabulous compilation!

I guess I will weigh in on this. I'm sure to be in the minority here, but I didn't think this was so spectacular. I think the Merr0w track is the best, but I have heard it before. Good yes, revolutionary not so much. That being said, any label releasing goa is fine by me.

Time for another listen, because there is no bad goa, just clogged ears.

Mdk

I agree with Trance2moveU

I bought it 2 weeks ago and it was ok, but nothing spectacular, first part of the cd is pretty dull and boring, second part is much better, Merr0w is by far the best, can't wait for his album on Suntrip in january

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Trance2moveU

I bought it 2 weeks ago and it was ok, but nothing spectacular, first part of the cd is pretty dull and boring, second part is much better, Merr0w is by far the best, can't wait for his album on Suntrip in january

I can't agree with you more. I started listening to this cd and after the first 4 tracks, I was really worried. Lame! The Pandemonium track goes absolutely nowhere, nor is it an into track.

But yes, there is hope more than half way through track 5 this cd takes off like a rocket. From this moment on, there is not a dull moment.

Merrow has the best track on this cd, hands down. What energy and power this track brings. It keeps building and building and eventually you are dancing so hard, you cant breathe. Astrancer and Radical Distortion are also killers.

So in the end, this cd is a 4/5 and actually a must buy just for the Merrow track. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Various Artists

Freshly Cut Tomatoi

Cronomi Records

11 Jul 2008

Goa/Psy trance

Tracklist

1 Pandemonium! - A Mad Scientist's Night (Subra Vs Felis Remix) (8:10)

2 Anakoluth - Orbiting The Earth (9:36)

3 Jikkenteki With 11 - Super Power Mustard (7:35)

4 Alt Anesis and 5Meo-Geo - Ficus (8:10)

5 Subra and Har-El Prusky - Freakagnux (7:48)

6 K.O.B. - Pitch & Chips (A Fairytale About A Chip) (7:31)

7 Merr0w - Pixelized Sight (8:45)

8 Radical Distortion - Unchristened (6:49)

9 Astrancer - Ashram (11:21)

Shit cover, shit name, great artists on the back. The final criteria is the most important I think when choosing a comp and of the 4 artists I knew before buying this I like tremendously so I felt it to be a safe buy. What we have here is a collection of tracks from artists that have not gone the fullon route, the minimal route or the dark psy route but kept the old spirit of psychedelic trance alive with a new buzz. So how do the tracks chosen for this comp sound?

1. Pandemonium! - A Mad Scientists Night (Subra Vs Felis Remix)

Straight in then with an energetic, melodic track with funk & glitch. The melody is sharp & builds through the track in quite a nice way. The background ambience is slightly orchestral with the hint of string synths played under the beat & melody. Halfway in there appear more wet sounding synths the music breaks down & then a vague enough sample not to grate after repeated listens & then it kicks back in again. Must admit that I love the slowness of the track. It has energy for sure but it's created with breathing space. Very nice I think.

2. Anakoluth - Orbiting The Earth

I first heard Ankalouth on Mainspring Motion. I loved his track on that great comp & I was eager to hear more. I feel this is in the same vein, driving not speeding. Not so melodic but full of crazy psychedelic noises. Spacey samples, blips and a light bassline do give a spacey feeling. The tiny bits of melody that creep in after 3 or 4 minutes are brief & sound like they are falling, fleeting but utterly enjoyable in their brevity. By the end it feels darkly oldschool. Anakoluth, how music used to be :P Great track.

3. Jikkenteki With 11 - Super Power Mustard

This doesn't float my boat as much as other Jikkenteki tracks. It starts off promisingly dark but about two minutes in we get these squeaky synths that I don't really like and despite, nice layers underneath with music I'm sure I'd love, the squeakiness of the melodic synths doesn't sit well with me. The trance roll is a wee bit short & it kicks back in strangely and all in all there is no wow factor in it. Saying that, the last 2 minutes of the track are great. Weird! Not Jikkenteki's best effort.

4. Alt Anesis and 5Meo-Geo - Ficus

Atmospheric undertones to a high energy track. Like the rest of the music here, it's not full throttle but has a lot of synth work driving it forward. Similar yet different to the Anakoluth track. It's not melodic in the first part yet it has a lot of psychedelic glitch shoved into. The samples are fairly numerous but they are kept short so feel like part of the music rather than a vocal sample. As it goes on it's more melodic with a old school feeling with a modern sheen :D

5. Subra and Har-El Prusky - Freakagnux

This has a more tribal beat, lots of atmosphere created by moving synth drones in the background & a quick synth line melody which shifts & moves quite nicely. There is energy & breathing space, nice sounds & synths just how I like but there is something missing. I can't put my finger on it but there is no wow factor when I think there should be. It's just good when I feel like it should be great Maybe I'm missing something, maybe I haven't heard it in the right context or mood or under the right conditions but I feel like this track is great but I can't hear it. Weird.

6. K.O.B. - Pitch & Chips (A Fairytale About A Chip)

Dripping wet space (outer) is what the intro to this track feels like & that feeling is kept after the beat kicks in yet it is pushed to the back which is a shame. The rest of the music while fine is not as good as the brief intro. The beats are kind of "to be expected" and the synth work while very involved is too high pitched and gets on my nerves a bit. I usually like chaotic music but I feel like the random parts of this track are random just for the sake of it. I feel like it is trying too hard, like a kid a school that does too much to be noticed but just ends up as the class clown & nobody's real friend. This track, I don't really like.

7. Merr0w - Pixelized Sight

This is much more to my liking. It starts off sounding like it's going to be a kick ass goambient track but the beat kicks in with sharp yet with synths slipping & stabbing all over the place, odd choice of breakdown then a kick back in with a much more crazy beat. The energy levels just go through the roof with just as many sounds as the previous track but all of them fitting together naturally, nothing forced, nothing ruined. The melody while a little high pitched is in no way grating & moves around nicely in the second half of the track to keep me interested. Good stuff.

8. Radical Distortion - Unchristened

This is a weird track for me. I really like it despite not really knowing why. The melody is pitched too high, the beat is pedestrian, there is not much in the way of crazy psychedelic ramblings and no background ambience yet somehow it works. I find myself enjoying the simple formulaic structure and ill timed or misused beats. Not going to win track of the year but oddly enjoyable.

9. Astrancer - Ashram

We finish on a high note. Most of what I've liked about the previous tracks are included in this one. The ambience, the involved melodies, the arrangement & the crispness of it all just fits in well. Sure it doesn't have the crazy psychedelic edge that Anakoluth and Alt Anesis and 5Meo-Geo - Ficus have but it manages to sound just as psychedelic with it's melodies and ambience.

At the end there is 13 seconds of babababababababaaaababababababaaaaababababababa which I personally find pointless & a bit annoying. Why bother?

All in all then it's quite a mixed compilation. Some really great tracks, Anakoluth, Alt Anesis and 5Meo-Geo, Merr0w and Astrancer. The rest are decent enough & nothing is horrible. The K.O.B. track is probably the weakest and a surprising miss from Jikkenteki in my book. Overall it's a worthwhile purchase but not essential.

• 1 month later...

I gave this a listen after an "anonymous tip" on discogs and I must admit that I am happy I did. Aparently Suntrip's efforts are starting to pay off and other labels are jumping in the newschool bandwagon (which is a great thing IMO). So yes this is also newschool, but a different style than Suntrip's, it is on the crazyier more hectic side of things whereas Suntrip is more on the dreamy side. Although the comp starts off preatty weak I advise you listen to all the tracks before dissing it, the last tracks are well worth the effort IMO!

1. Pandemonium's track is one of the weakest here, a nice intro track but nothing special... NEXT!

2. On to Anakoluth which starts just as boring as Pandemonium until around 3:15 when a killer melody oldschool melody starts... But it only lasts a few bars and is just repeated over and over again throughout the track. So the initial smile of surprise turns into a grin of annoyance after a few more mintues. It has a kindof minimal feeling to it (I mean the kind of minimal that everybody loved in early 2000). This COULD have been a very good track if there was more creativity involved, sadly its repetitiveness makes it a letdown for me.

3. Jikkenetiki up next with a pretty average track. It starts pretty promising but then quickly becomes boring. It just goes on and on without ever really grabbing your attention IMO.

4. Alt Anesis next with (finally) a more dynamic track which reminds me more of the oldschool feeling but uses modern FX which kindof makes the sound less pure IMO. This is one of the better tracks here but at the same time something is missing IMO.

5. Then comes a collaboration with "the godfather of trance" as he used to be called, Har-El Prussky. OK let's be honest here: Har-El might have made some of the most beautiful oldschool tracks ever... but he also made a LOT of average tracks as well. Sadly this is part of the latter category. This actually reminded Chi-AD's new album: some oldschool elements blended into some new stuff making a pretty average end result.

6. KOB starts of with a tribal feeling which made me realize that it's been a while since I have heard djembés in a trance track... Sadly it kindof goes to shit after a while. The artist is obviously aiming for some Green Nuns of the Revolution-style crazyness but fails rather miserably IMO. This might also be in part to the new synths and FX used which make it all sound a bit plasticky... You just can't make this kind of music without some real 303s IMO...

7. I must admit that by now I was tempted to press stop and just discard the whole thing cause none of the tracks really got me going. Well, I'm glad I kept listening cause Merrow's track is a treat :) This one sounds a LOT like Fractal Glider's Parasite (BTW whatever happened to him??). Anyway, this a great track.

8. Radical Distortion is up next with some more oldschool sounds. The track actally starts with some gating effects, it has been a LONG time since I haven't heard gating used in an intro, funny when you think that this was one of THE trademarks of goatrance back in the days and now it seems completly forgotten. Then some really nice melodies that reminded me some typical oldschool melodies, the kind of melodies that would make you move your body sideways when dancing (which I also realized that I haven't done in a while). Umm... I hope this makes sense to someone else than me lol Anyway, nice track :)

9. Then comes the closing KILLER... Astrancer is just INCREDIBLE!!! Very dreamy stuff, it reminded me a lot of Etnica's Z Plane Sunrisewhich is IMO one of the best tracks ever made. The first few times I listened to Astrancer's track I actually had tears in my eyes, that's how beautiful it was. My only problem is that it is a bit too long (almost 12 minutes!) And it kindof loses momentum after minute 6... But you can always press "stop" before the end ;) . But anyway, this is just a minor inconvenient, this is an amazing track, definately one of the best tracks of 2008!!

THE GOOD: The last 3 tracks are definately worth buying this comp, if you don't listen to Astrancer's track you're missing something special!

THE BAD: Too many filler tracks that don't really go anywhere... Also, too much use of softsynths, it gives most tracks on this album a plasticky sound that doesn't really fit in with the oldschool spirit IMO.

CONCLUSION: This comp does have its flaws but it also contains some of the best newschool releases of 2008. So as a comp it doesn't deserve more than a 3/5 because of all the bad tracks but that average wouldn't do justice to the absolutley great last 3 tracks. And if you had to choose between an album with 10 good but not great tracks and one with some bad tracks and some excellent, would you really hesitate? :)

PS BTW in case anyone cares... I've decided to rate albums out of 5 rather than out of 10 since I find the scale more realistic to use.

• 1 year later...

Oh man. I just became aware of this today, thanks to Lemmi's mention of the Ashram track by Astrancer. I wish this was available to buy via MP3 download on amazon, as there are only a few tracks I really care about (mainly the last 3-4).

Oh man. I just became aware of this today, thanks to Lemmi's mention of the Ashram track by Astrancer. I wish this was available to buy via MP3 download on amazon, as there are only a few tracks I really care about (mainly the last 3-4).

and how about my mention? ;-)

awesome track indeed.

• 5 months later...

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Freshly Cut Tomato

Label: Cronomi Records

Date: July, 2008

Sometimes in life you have to take a step back and revisit things to gain a clearer perspective. When this first came out over 2 years ago, I wasn't that impressed. Cronomi was just starting out and at that time there wasn't really too much out there that could hold a candle to Suntrip and their brand of sunshine melodic goa trance. Fast forward to today and I will tell you that this label took quite the chance. Now that we are fully surfing the new school goa wave it is understandable that there are various forms of goa and this compilation explores those. And there are audiences who appreciate it.

A Mad Scientist's Night (Subra Vs Felis Remix)- This is Michael Anenburg the man behind Felis & Subra. The bass groove in this is just nasty! It is an interesting progressive take on the melodic insanity that is the original. The sound quality is so clear and warm that moving to this is not hard at all. The overall feel is a grittier more underground movement that sounds super crisp. Awesome way to put a fresh and different face on a track. I still love Filipe's original, but this was pretty damn cool.

Orbiting The Earth - This is what I would loosely term a minimalist approach to psytrance. I cannot call it goa (at least not in the melodic sense) as this sounds like it could be from 2001. It is dark and fairly monotonous. However, it is also atmospheric. And that has a lot to do with the production. Very warm and accessible. Whereas minimal trance bored me to tears, I can appreciate a varying style. Not my favorite by a longshot, but some of the sounds here are pretty cool as well.

Super Power Mustard- This is US born Rennis Buchner and Keri Watanabe. Jikkentekki has released 3 albums (one for free) and has been all over compilations. He is very versatile, able to switch between goa trance and downtempo with great sounding results. Take this for what it is...psytrance. The leads that echo ominously sound super thick, like super powered mustard. Dirty, and along with the growling 303, pretty inventive. Also not my favorite on a goa trance compilation, but you can tell that they are building towards something.

Ficus- This is Boris Mor and Philip Khripkov who have released a few tracks, more towards the Suomi side of things. Love the beginning of this...industrial beats that are distorted amidst a leery pad. It builds up and becomes a nice mover with a strong lead. Not a lot of variation, but we are beginning to get a little deeper into the waters of goa.

Freakagnux- Mr. California Sunshine and Michael Anenburg put together a nice tune. The kick is huge and synth lines grumble underneath. It isn't long until the 303s enter, but not overbearingly so. The break has some nice percussion to enjoy. I wasn't a big fan of California Sunshine and this track didn't change that. Not bad, but not great either.

Pitch & Chips (A Fairytale About A Chip)- This is Filteria's side project, one with a harder edge. The lead is a gurgling sound with skittering effects that remind me of darkpsy tunes. To my ears it sounds jumbled and discordant. A lot of noise that I don't enjoy listening to. Yuck.

Pixelized Sight- This is Brice Fruyt who released his wonderful debut Born Underwater in 2009. His style is goa trance all the way with multiple layers of melody. It is very noisy at the outset, but after 3 minutes a furious goa melody takes shape and more layers are added to it. It is punishing, insistent, and very in your face. The quasi break switches leads, but it is no less aggressive. An old school feel is present and he rides it for all it is worth. Out.Standing.

Unchristened- The Greeks are coming! This is Nikolaos Politaridis & Spanos Ioannis who have been around for awhile releasing quality goa trance. Their 2009 effort Psychedelic dreams was another smash for Suntrip. This track was a grower for me. The groove and the leads kept me bouncing right into the break. Again the climax is the shining moment here when all the leads combine to create a melodic gem. I wish there was some more atmosphere to the track, but it still sounded powerful. Very good track!

Ashram- his is Bruno Filizola who doesn't make bad tracks. He just doesn't. This one has a very atmospheric feel with outer space pads. The break is nice as an Indian style melody begins and he runs with it. It bounces nicely along and switches melody and creates a very dreamy sensation. The end is where this track shines however, as it all culminates in a furthering of the atmosphere. Great track to close.

Well, what can I say? The first experience I had with this didn't really impress me. I even said so on Psynews. But here is an example of a label back in 2008 taking a chance to present a alternate view of what goa trance is. Now as I mentioned not all of the tracks can be labeled as goa trance, but really that is in the ear of the listener isn't it? Colin (Oood) did a wonderful job with the mastering. Everything sounds so clear and warm that even the tracks I wasn't that fond of were enjoyable listening. That shows you how important mastering is. While I found the compilation to be weak in the beginning, they rebounded nicely with the final 3 tracks. The first track even grew on me! Congratulations Cronomi for this compilation and showing me that great music need not fit into a constrained box. I should've listened to you earlier. Even though this is not my favorite goa compilation it does have something for everyone. I would say download the last three tracks as they make the compilation and listen to the samples to see if you are interested in the rest.

Mdk

I think Jikkenteki, K.O.B. and Merr0w are worth this comp alone. Just awesome new darker psychedelic goatrance. Simply trippy. Analokuth is the only one I really found just boring, I don't like the type minimal music his track was, it's well produced and all but it's just too empty.

• 2 years later...

I like tomatoes. They're good. Could you imagine spaghetti without them?

This is now 5 years old and shows that Cronomi wasn't afraid to take a chance. It's full of different styles of goa trance with something for everyone. I stand by my review, but have come to appreciate Anakalouth's track a little more. Not because I like the minimal style (far from it), but because if you're up in space orbiting the earth, things don't happen very quickly. Making this the perfect soundtrack for being stuck way up there while life goes on like normal down here.

The last three tracks remain the cornerstone of this compilation.

Mdk

• 1 year later...

Love the Anakalouth track. T2MU summed it up perfectly. First time I heard it I just thought it was the perfect space opera track.

Anyway, about mid-way through I find this gets a bit messy I that the tracks sound somewhat simple. The K.O,B. track in particular just has some irritating sounds that do nothing for me.

Astrancer is the absolute best IMO. It is long, deep & penetrates subtly. Like good sex. I'm serious. It just rubs the right way to give an eargasm like no other. Real smooth modern trance music. Would love to hear more like this.

All in a great compilation of psychedelic trance, after a few months in finally coming around to the Cronomi sound. It's not modern Goa but to me just >mostly< quality Psychedlic Trance music.