Turkish music

Kryll

not bad

but not really that irregular rhythm-measure i was talking bout :)

think its 7/8 or something 3+3+2 or 2+2+3

I don't really get that :P

anyway, cheers :D

I don't really get that :P

anyway, cheers :D

well.. i'm not sure if i'm right about the 7/8

but in comparison :

techno has a 4/4 beat, or 4/8

turkish music (as in 'is known for') has a beat that extends to a regular beat such as 4/4

like for example: 4 beats followed by 4 beats and then followed by 5 beats .. that's what i mean with irregular

Live Turkish music is fantastic, especially the faster stuff made for dancing. I used to listen (and dance) to it a lot six or seven years ago. I don't know any artists though, sorry.

The track you posted is 9/4. Never heard that one before that I can remember.

it's that stuff i'm seeking mainly :)

uptempo percussion

this one comes close : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7erqOtNcc

sorry, pal, don't know anything like that :P

I could help you out with a little bit of turkish pop though ... something like this:

... it also seems to have an odd rhythm, but maybe that's just me ... doubt that this is what you lookin' for :D

Very cool stuff, for sure. I suggest you contact Baba Zula (babazula@babazula.com) and ask for suggestions.

Also, on their homepage, in their links, they link to Turkish music. Maybe there's something there you'd like.

sorry, pal, don't know anything like that :P

I could help you out with a little bit of turkish pop though ... something like this:

... it also seems to have an odd rhythm, but maybe that's just me ... doubt that this is what you lookin' for :D

nah, that's quite okay :)

all is welcome

not bad that song :)

Very cool stuff, for sure. I suggest you contact Baba Zula (babazula@babazula.com) and ask for suggestions.

Also, on their homepage, in their links, they link to Turkish music. Maybe there's something there you'd like.

okay cool, will check it out

thanks!

damn, that'll need such a massive amount of time to listen to all these previews hehe :)

perhaps i should mail em idd

anyways, i'll see .. off to bed now

Cheers & G'night ;)

Most traditional middle-eastern music is 3/4 or 6/8 almost exclusively I'm pretty sure. I'm sure alot of other cultures make use of such beats but I can't vouch for that personally.

In farsi there is a word, "ger" (with a swallowed g) which is used to describe music with these beat patterns but also means to shake your arse, for lack of better description. Just incase your interested.

baba zula rocks so much.

too bad i didnt see them live last year, i feel guilty now!

anyways not much i could recommend but be sure to check this thread out (esp. for el brujo's recommendations)

edit: lol.. the vid actually has the poster of baba zulas concert in athens. it was 03/08 not last year :rolleyes:

gonna check Mercan Dede out

oh my gosh, Mercan Dede ... they're great...

I have their album "Su" (Water).

But this music I rather associate with Ambient ... "Sufi Ambient", I guess that's how Arkin even called it himself ... and I always sleep off when I listen to Su, don't know why :rolleyes: ... I'd not have associated Mercan Dede with the songs you posted. Yet they're on Doublemoon aswell (which is Babazula's label).

Check it out, I'm sure you like ^_^

I will soon write new recommendations

by the way

we are nearly finishing our first compilation

if you liked mercan dede and baba zula this will be much more psychedelic music with turkish influences

it is a concept album based on a book writen a few hundred years ago and is about sufi and buddhist ideas

a guy drinks a special turkish cofee with a so called mad man and trips into stories where he meets buddha, god and much more :)

I will soon write new recommendations

by the way

we are nearly finishing our first compilation

if you liked mercan dede and baba zula this will be much more psychedelic music with turkish influences

it is a concept album based on a book writen a few hundred years ago and is about sufi and buddhist ideas

a guy drinks a special turkish cofee with a so called mad man and trips into stories where he meets buddha, god and much more :)

hey!

This sounds cool, I'm interested aswell :)

Baba Zula is indeed unique and an awesome band. Similar recommendations would be hard but I would firstly say you check out the documentary:

Crossing the bridge

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0459242/

baba zula is also in this doc.

It will give you a overall idea about turkish music.

ALso check out Burhan Ocal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burhan_Ocal.

Not really similar but might be interesting. he does some nice collabs and stuff.

hm and also check out label doublemoon records http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=91234797

have some good musiq like orient expressions, selim sesler which I would recommend.

Will comment more when I think of more stuff.

Of course looking forward to the turkish psychedelic compilation, exciting news. All the best.