music, my journey

pixiejanet

music..my love affair.

Started very young..with Elvis, Billy Fury, Buddy Holly, Adam Faith and dance bands as parents were avid dancers..and mum loved rock..n..roll ..dad love country & western

When i was 12, i met a girl at a bonfire night in the village, she was 11...this girl, Julie changed my life... she had 2 older sisters and an older brother(who, i may add, i had a crush on! ) Susan, the younger of her older sisters was a hippy and Paul was into heavy rock..........I was listening to Bowie and Black Sabbaths first album and when i used to vist, from there my taste progressed into prog rock with the likes of Led Zeppelin ,Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple then onto Thin lizzy.

The first album i bought was T.Rex Electric Warrior(still have it too..battered but well lovedPosted Image ) and David Bowie, Space Oddity on flexi-disc ....mother used to tell people i liked electric guitar....she was right, that has never changed......

So, at 13 we started going to youth club.. i was looking thru the 45s and found Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower/Purple Haze, OMG i was blown away..........

By the time i was 14 i was a long haired, loon and cheesecloth wearing hippy..i..d go to discos and request stuff like Free/Bad Company, Jeff Beck, anything but pop music! If i was lucky and it got played i..d be sat cross- legged middle of the dancefloor *freakin out*, my god it felt great to listen to that music..i got such good vibes from it..........

I was mocked and laughed at, but found my niche with other metalheads, geeks and nerds (mostly guys) and drifted away from *normal * kids. they just didnt get it!

So friday nights then found me in one or other of the guys houses watching Old Grey Whistle Test with whispering Bob Harris hoping they would put on some of our fave prog rock... and moan if they didnt of course, i bought NME and Melody Maker religiously to keep up with what was going on,

At 16 or so i was going out in York to discos and dancing the night away where, i met a lad who introduced me to weird music..one album that comes to mind is White Noise/Electric Storm.. like wow! loved it...........

on my musical journey went...in Newcastle i met a lad who was into concept albums , Alan Parsons Project ,Tale of Mystery and Imagination is one that comes to mind just now..the most brilliant album and i still have that one too..another one that pops to mind is Rush/Archives triple album...........(ahhh Lavondyss what a track!!) also found Rainbow, wow, what power the Live on Stage album has.. (Catch The Rainbow..what an epic)....

Just before i went down south, punk had come in, and thanks to John Peel(DJ) i found Devo and 999 , siouxie &the banshees etc.........

while down in the south i got lost in work ,and the 80s music was bad apart from Depeche Mode and Soft Cell and Erasure... all camp as .. really. but there ya go...........

when i eventually came up north to work, i made friends with a lass who was into the Cure.............and so my goth era came along with The Cult,The Cure and The Mission ..Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim and so many others

i left hotels to work in a Rock pub.......what a shock to find stuff like Faith No More ,Sepultura, Metallica... it took me a short while to decipher the music, but when i had , i loved it, the Glam metal scene was in and i hung out with a lass all into it, so Bullet Boys and Skid Row and all that type was added to my collection.........so i had come full circle really from prog rock to heavy rock and all others between and dont fit in a niche!!

it was at this time the Blues Bar had opened....so i also got back into blues in a big way..........

When my life eventually went pear shaped i was dragged out to a night in london Return To The Source @Bagleys Warehouse.........7000 people all dancing to psychedelic trance, Drum&bass(which i seriously dislike) and chillout..... what a shock that was.............my mates abandoned me and i felt totally lost in music i had not heard before amidst thousands of people off their heads!! i didnt like it very much.................

but the following week she dragged me to another night, smaller venue, the Fridge for Escape From Samsara..London again............... and basically, that was it for 10 years!Pendragon and many others @ the Theatre Factory., the fridge for Samsara and Otherworld, then Mindscapes @The Drome many others in the North with the likes of Kumdalini and Cabbage , Templehead, Kulu, Sunrise, Planet Zogg, Headcharge...........i gradually drew away from the scene, so from going out every weekend... (some weekends it was a party in london then one in leeds....no sleep from friday til sunday night was normal......................)

To hardly going out at all...........since then i have just been listening anything that comes along, but not much dance music......i kinda miss the scene a little, but i was starting to get bored by 3am anyway and all i could think about was a nice cup of coffee and my bed.................I do venture to an odd *special* every now and then mind:)

i..m am quite sure i will have missed out something so this will keep being updated! lol

That's quite a musical journey you have there, Pixie :)

I just can say I came from techno and trance towards psytrance, goa and psychill ... and I discovered metal and dark ambient while on the way. And nowadays I'm going back away from all the chaos to more structured progressive sounds and venturing a little into different musical realms, industrial and such ... that's it basically.

Well, when I was young, up until about 8 years old I was only listening to other people's choice of music. Namely my father's so I was initially exposed to a mix of Bob Dylan, Van Morrison , The Beatles, The Kinks and the like as well as fiddley diddley Irish crap. When I was gifted a walkman of my very own I listened to Michael Jackson tapes and the Blues Brothers' Soundtrack.

When I was 9 I was given some mix tapes including a 1988 house mix by Sasha. It was my first foray into electronic music & I never looked back. During the early 90's I didn't know where I my heart was within the electronic genre. I listened to House, Rave, Gabba & even Happy Hardcore (embarrassingly). In 1994 though my whole journey was changed when I heard Project II Trance at a friend's house. I bought my first compilation shortly after which was the first of the Order Odonata series. The following year I got my first album, Hallucinogen - Twisted. My musical journey was now on a track & leading somewhere. I went to my first live which was Eat Static (who by chance I am listening to as I type this:)). In the last 14 years I have never lost my love for Goa although it has been joined by other equally as lovable styles.

Mystery Of The Yeti & The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiences brought me my first ambient experience. Before these I has completely written off ambient as a total yawn fest but these amazingly trippy albums took me on journeys no upbeat albums could. It was music that really filled up the space between coming down from a night at a club & being able to sleep as well as lazy sundays at home.

I got into all the minimal & progressive psy only a little. They have always been genres I liked lacking many artists I thought were good. However, Flying Rhino Records from 1998 kind of sums up the sort of type of trippy prog I like.

Over the years I fear time has caught up with me. My body has lost some of it's energy & my brain has started working a bit more. My music tastes have become more chilled & more trippy. I never thought music could get more psychedelic than what I was listening to in the mid to late 90s but when I got into ambient & ambient trance I was once again blown away. Ishq, Ultimae & then Databloem opened a whole new world of sonic landscapes for me to explore.

Right now I am lost in a sea of sound, enjoying every last wave to extremes I never thought possible. I am in love with music in a way that I'm not entirely sure is healthy but it is not something I am about to give up.

heh, it'll always be the blues for me! :drama:

0>11 radio music+classical music

11>15 radio music, metallica, iron maiden, machine head, house techno trance hardcore, i discovered it all in these years, by 15 slipknot and the likes+the amazing discovery of jazz music and the interbellum period music (bebop, soul, gypsy etc etc)

15>now discovered goa and many many more such as ambient drone, idm and all those modern offsprings

Nice topic, interesting to see the paths we all take to find psytrance. It seems like a lot of people who like psytrance liked Metal and/or "hippy" music first, which makes sense I guess.

I got started at a very young age on old records my parents had (Ray Charles, Aerosmith, just a bunch of random stuff). When I got a bit older (like 8-13yo) I got really into the whole "grunge" thing (Nirvana, Green Day, Weezer, etc). When I was about 13-16, I started getting more into metal and punk (Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Offspring, Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Rage Against the Machine, etc), and also a bit of rap (wu-tang, bone thugs, etc)

Towards the end of high-school I started to really explore a lot more musical genres (also started smoking reefer a lot more, and tried some psychedelics for the first time). I got really into 60s music in particular (Beatles, Doors, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, etc), and started getting into electronic music (Prodigy, Aphex Twin, Chemical Bros, Oakenfold).

When I was 18-20 I finally discovered psy (in the form of Hallucinogen - LSD) and started getting really into that (all the big names Shpongle, IM, Astral Projection, etc). This was also the time of my heaviest psychedelic use, which I think played a role in me liking psytrance so much. The past few years (I'm 23) I've really just gone "all out" exploring music. Jazz, Blues, Classical, Folk, Psychedelic Rock, Reggae, IDM. I've also discovered a fair bit of "ethnic" music I like (a lot from India, but also China, Japan, Hungary, Iran). I have to admit I don't like psytrance quite as much as I used to, but it still holds a special place in my heart. There's just "something" about psytrance that no other music has. I've recently gotten into suomisaundi (I already had some actually I just didn't realize it :lol: ) and I'm really enjoying it. It has everything, weird trippy sounds, strange song structures, and great melodies.

I never listened to music much. Then I stole some ipods a few years ago and I was like... WTF should I put on them since all this music everyone listens to is so crappy? Then I randomly found astral projection & transwave on the intrawebz and fell in love. Cool story eh? B)

I never listened to music much. Then I stole some ipods a few years ago and I was like... WTF should I put on them since all this music everyone listens to is so crappy? Then I randomly found astral projection & transwave on the intrawebz and fell in love. Cool story eh? B)

Wow do you steal ipods? Wish i were as kewl as you.

Hmmm, i don't think i had a taste when i was a kid, i listened to some danish kids kasette tapes, and radiomusic..

When i was about 10-12 i started listening to punk rock(after playing tony hawks proskater) At that point i alo started listening to hiphop, remember my first album was Fugees-the score.. Then Dr. Dre, snoop, eminem, wutang and so on...

WHen i was about 14 i met some friends who was into dance music, the old stuff like excaliber, 666, cs jay and all those rediculous artists...I also listened to Slipknot, Soulfly, SOAD and other rockbands in different subgenres..

That let me into Yahel(intelligent life was THE track that got me into electronic music for good) and some infeed musroom tracks , wich opened up a whole new world to me.. Me and my friends quickly discovered the effect one the brain, when listening to this kind of music while smoking joints, and from then on i pretty much haven't listened to anything ells :)

Rock music makes me stressed now, the hard singig or growling has become annoying to me now.. I sometimes still listen to hiphop and oldies and i have some pop albums i still enjoy like Norah jones, but my hard is (and will always be wth electronic music. The feelings i can catch from electro music, the imagination that is used to listen to it, can't be compared with anything ells.. A pop song everybody hear the same lyrics, the same messages. In electronic music it's another world where you create it to be like you want it to be.. That makes electronc music(psy/progressive trancein particuar) SO much more than any other genre can ever be for me.

But i still can enjoy and understand most music, classic, jazz, rock, r'n'b, soul, even most pop music.. But my heart is somewhere ells :)

Not much of a journey is it? Are you usually the sort who brags about stealing? Are you chav scum?

No,he's just an idiot.. I know lots of chavs, and they don't brag about stealing anything. Plus they know it's not wise to talk about, for many reasons...

Makes me believe that he is a member that is normally banned on this forum ;):P:D

What's wrong with bragging? Jealous?

There is this other member that really likes to brag as well.... he is in Canada from time to time as well... he seems to be offline when you are online as well... hmmm strange... ;)