Early comments on your last cds

Ormion

Saw this. I was a little concerned when it said "many tracks also contain some great elements of hard rock, electro and healthy dose of techno" I realize an artist has to grow, I just don't want it to spoil is sledgehammer beats and aggression. We'll have to see. Oh, I will definitely get it. :clapping:

Also..Outer Signal looks great. Would love to see a Lost & Found disc.

Mdk

I'm 100% sure that Chris will not spoil it. I have blind faith to him.

BTW Lost & Found debut is coming soon on 3D Vision. It will be the blast!!! :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to disagree, big dissapointing, i just dont want to listen to it another time

so you can tell if an album is good by just one or a few listens? then you are surface listeners and make snap judgements. good albums are not instantly likable, but they last longer. if i like an album right away, i know i'll grow tired of it faster. i've have EMC for several months and only now starting to figure it out. the thing is this guy works in subtle layers of sound. i am still finding new things each time i listen. looking at your profile favs, it is pretty clear why you didn't like it. it doesn't sound like anything else your into. that's doesn't mean it isn't good. to dig the album you will need headphones and some mind alteration.

Guest antic

Saw this. I was a little concerned when it said "many tracks also contain some great elements of hard rock, electro and healthy dose of techno"

Well, the samples will worry you then.

• 2 weeks later...

Yagya - Rigning

very nice music, beautifully relaxing. Perfect for chilled days staring out of the window :)

Kettel - Myam James 2

Another nice chilled release. I thought more downbeat than My Dogan but more varied than Myam James Part 1, nothing like I was expecting from the review thread. No idea why I trusted it but it was way off IMO. A nice IDMish feel through with Kettels recent trademark sounds. Enough variety & divergence from previous albums to make this one worth it.

Papa Legba - Dead Air

Nice ambient leading to IDMish beats, all very cool. Should be getting a review of this one together soon :)

Aes Dana - Leylines

I can see the quality here but I think this will need some time to settle in

Circular - Substans

Great tracks, average album. No flow to it as an album, just a collection of good or great tracks. Disappointing as an album but will be very useful in the mix

VA - Permutations 2 [Zenon 2009]

I'm at track 4 and it might be my headphones that I haven't used lately or it's like the quintessence of Zenon. Detailed, well produced, hypnotic... oh, well :) Maybe I just missed zenon's sound so much and it's nothing special, time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...

Kraft - The Mysteries of the Sacred Universe

Posted Image

I've only listened to this a few times, but so far I think it's awesome. One thing that really stands out for me, which you don't get from the samples, is the way the tracks progress - there are loads of key changes and tempo changes and suchlike, which are achieved without annoying breaks and which give every track a kind of "journey" feel that's missing from a lot of trance IMO. There isn't much variation between tracks but there's a lot of variation within the tracks themselves.

Elea - Stellar Connection

Posted Image

Had this for about a month and I really like it. It sits somewhere between ethno-chill and progressive; I'm not usually a fan of progressive at all, but whereas most of it sounds sterile and samey to me, this sounds warm and organic. It's very varied too, ranging from frantic old-school acid to slow paced vocal trance. Some might be put off by the vocals on a few of the tracks, but I really like them.

Guest antic

Posted Image

I've only listened to this a few times, but so far I think it's awesome. One thing that really stands out for me, which you don't get from the samples, is the way the tracks progress - there are loads of key changes and tempo changes and suchlike, which are achieved without annoying breaks and which give every track a kind of "journey" feel that's missing from a lot of trance IMO. There isn't much variation between tracks but there's a lot of variation within the tracks themselves.

Thanks man! I'm really glad to hear that, since I wasn't that convinced by the samples but since it was Insomnia Rec. and I liked the cover I ordered it anyway and it's now on its way to my doorsteps from Hong-Kong :)

Thanks man! I'm really glad to hear that, since I wasn't that convinced by the samples but since it was Insomnia Rec. and I liked the cover I ordered it anyway and it's now on its way to my doorsteps from Hong-Kong :)

Cool, let us know what you think when you get it.

Guest antic

Cool, let us know what you think when you get it.

Will do. Although with darkpsy I tend to have problems with finding the right words... Just like you, I've been meaning to write a review of Alien Mental's "Mind Hack", which IMO is in top-3 of darkpsy albums released thus far, but I simply can not describe it in a way that'd do it justice. Even in Polish that would be very hard, not to mention in English :)

Elea - Stellar Connection

Posted Image

Had this for about a month and I really like it. It sits somewhere between ethno-chill and progressive; I'm not usually a fan of progressive at all, but whereas most of it sounds sterile and samey to me, this sounds warm and organic. It's very varied too, ranging from frantic old-school acid to slow paced vocal trance. Some might be put off by the vocals on a few of the tracks, but I really like them.

I've given this 3 listens and am also really enjoying it. Not the best CD of all time, but certainly worthy of attention. Positive, uplifting, sometimes dreamy and ethereal. It tells a nice story. A smooth and well-rounded flow to it. I've not noticed many weak or filler moments. I can see how some may not like it though. Make sure to get past the first track if you do give it a trial listen. I'm a fan of most progressive styles except for generally that which tends too closely toward house/club.

Jon

• 1 month later...

Various - Hope

Amazing stuff. Best comp I have heard this year for sure. Classy stuff, emotional and nice.

Various - Natural Born Chillers 2

Not as good as the first but still very nice stuff

Various - Hope

Amazing stuff. Best comp I have heard this year for sure. Classy stuff, emotional and nice.

Various - Natural Born Chillers

Not as good as the first but still very nice stuff

Various - Hope = http://www.discogs.com/Various-Hope/release/1742128?

---

I guess u mean Natural born chillers 2 :P ... so the content is better than the cover?! :lol: I have been meaning to listening to that one as well, since I really liked the first one, but that HOPE compilation looks more interesting.. is it?

Various - Hope = http://www.discogs.com/Various-Hope/release/1742128?

---

I guess u mean Natural born chillers 2 :P ... so the content is better than the cover?! :lol: I have been meaning to listening to that one as well, since I really liked the first one, but that HOPE compilation looks more interesting.. is it?

Yes & Yes (edited)

So far I think my favourite track on NBC2 is 6. Interlaced - Insologic but there is a lot of cool, middle beat chill on here.

Still Hope though is spectacular

• 4 weeks later...

Posted Image

If you liked this one, you should check Karah - Allin (2to6 Records) - it's got very similar vibe and production.

Thanks, I will do. Has the Kraft album grown on you at all? It's still my favourite CD of 2009 thus far.

Yeah, it did in fact. I had some time to listen to it while on holidays in August, and I found it much more engaging than I first thought - I like the storytelling, the complexity of arrangements etc. though I find the overall mood to gloomy for the most part (yeah, I do realise it's called 'DARKpsy' for a reason :)). Not that it's a bad thing, but seldom I'm in the mood for such music - I have too much stress in my daily life, to further strengthen it with dark music. Still, I'm able to recognise and appreciate quality, therefore I got Karash even though I knew it sounded similar - hopefully there will be a time when I'm able to enjoy such music in full.

From recent darkpsy releases I prefer Fragletrollet or Terranoise (there's my review in 2009 section, BTW).

Ephedrix - Expander

This one is a good surprise.

At first I thought there was a creativity problem as I saw 8 out of 9 tracks were remixes (of or by other artists).

But while hearing I recognized a well crafted album full of melodies and skillful climaxes.

Overall very entertaining (and you know I am not a fan of FullOn music).

From recent darkpsy releases I prefer Fragletrollet or Terranoise (there's my review in 2009 section, BTW).

Checked your review, sounds interesting. I've not liked much of Terranoise's previous work so I didn't pay this much attention, but I'll give the samples a few more listens.

First thoughts on The Orb - Baghdad Batteries:

NICE! Sounds like classy, oldschool and sometimes even outright trippy Orb stuff. Am positively surprised by this. Review might follow soon. Might also not follow, who can say for certain in these most uncertain of times, eh?

:)