Early comments on your last cds

Ormion

raison d'etre - requiem for abandoned souls

very nice album, dark & soft. Horror movie sound track feel.

raison d'etre - Luminous Experience (Live 2008)

harsher sounds, more built for a sound system rather than headphones

Atrium Carceri - Ptahil

Another nice dark album from Atrium Carceri but not as good as his others

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK it's not a recent CD but one I have ignored until recently

max.chillroom

Great tracks from Aes Dana, Bluetech, Shen, Kritcal Audio, Vataff Project, Hibernation & Shulman (ishq remix :wub:)

The rest are good. Definitley worth checking out :clapping:

Hibernation - Some Things Never Change (Aleph Zero)

Posted Image

Not what I expected (hoped something like Hibernation - Spatial Needs [Max.Chillroom, 2008]), wanted to write a review but can't find words :) The sound is glitchy, dubby, jazzy, funky, chilly, full of real instruments with IDMish click and cuts over it. Lots of details you notice after every listen. Just see the promo text: "We asked Seb to go places he never went to before, and he came back with Some Things Never Change, Hibernation’s debut album. It is a mix of downtempo electronica touching many genres and styles. Seb mixes here Lounge, Glitch, IDM, Psychill, Breaks, Ambient and more". Mission accomplished.

BTW good thread, lets stick it to the top?

Hibernation - Some Things Never Change (Aleph Zero)

Posted Image

Not what I expected

also not what I expected....don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album,quite good actually...but it's not in the style as for example "Embers"on the Arcana compilation some years ago ....but then again that's probably an important characteristique of Seb Taylor's Hibernation project...that it mixes a great many of different styles and that it is hard to pinpoined this music.....overal a loungy feel to it....

Perfect Stranger - Free Cloud (Iboga, 2008)

Posted Image

Yuli goes minimal. Nice try, but the über long tracks get monotonous and boring. I don't get this idea for dance tunes, the dj has to play half of the track with so little going on? I mean I love long tracks, but the deep trancey ones, not progressive house / trance / techno / minimal. Just when you think "ok, enough of this" he tweaks the knobs and the sound changes. Not sure about it's dancefloor capabilities, so I find this a home-listening album, at least works fine as background music for working.

I may be wrong, will give it more listens (I've heard it 5 times already).

Also, there are some interesting neo-trance ideas among minimal artists, I really hope some of these psyprog->minimal guys follow that path, it should really be something.

PS Again. What about making this thread sticky?

Posted Image

Dirty Motion-Dirt Emotion

Phat, phat, phat!

This is full phatness to the bone. Intense, noisy, over the top psy. Dirty Motion are Frozen Ghost and Hiyarant, both prolific South African producers. You can hear the styles of both artists here. The melodies of Frozen Ghost that belong somewhere between grooviness and spookiness and the madness of Hiyarant. As usually my expectations were too high to be fulfilled, but this album delivered for what it was made. Power, phatness and massive noise. Not a masterpiece(some tracks could be better), not for evryone, but another great release for the Yabai crew.

Posted Image

V/A-Shamanisma

Nice! Very nice!

The first cd is filled with neo goa, old school goa, meditation psy and some freestyle stuff. Alienapia are trippy as heck with a pure old school track, Reality Pixie gives probably his best tune so far and of course the ultimate gem The Fool by The Muses Rapt in brand new mastered quality (but unfortunately with some clipping at the start).

The second cd is a mix of dub ambient, dark downtempo and experimental stuff. Not big fan of dub stuff, but the Maiia track brings a smile to my face every time I listen to it with such a beautiful intro, Shangri-La is pure goambient and some James Reipas for desert.

Highly recommended!

Posted Image

V/A-New Blood II

You know the moto. It's Timecode, it's good.

One more time Timecode proves that they can't do wrong. This time the standard Timecode artists give some space to some newcomers or not that newcomers like they did 4 years ago with part I.

The POF track seems to steal all the focus, very nice track like a less crazy Ghreg On Earth one. But for me the highlight are EMP. Attack Of The Moose is the definition of Monster Track, melodic, aggressive, groovy, powerful, intense. In my 2008 top 5. Another great tracks come by Phyx in his usually dance till you die formula, the more emotional Harspicheek by Tickets straight from his second album and Tryambaka's stormer. The Artifakt vs Lost & Found collaboration could be better IMO, very nice track but not that great.

Quality as always.

Posted Image

V/A-Into The Void

Nice darkpsy compilation. Ocelot never fails and both his tracks are trippy and superb produced. The Baal tracks are pure Japanese destruction, a bit monotonous, but at least the Rite Of Passage has a very dark atmosphere.

The Greek collaborations kind of let me down, they are dark and trippy, but a bit too generic. Especially the OrePhonia track (Orestis+Polyphonia) is mediocre IMO.

The Xylamanda tracks are love or hate. Fat noisy kick with exclusively white and pink noises. They are the most noisey stuff you'd propably hear. They're dark and different, they work for me.

The last track by Aerofurious is simply the best, pure psychedelic mayhem, extreme trippy.

Nothing outstanding, but pretty much ok.

Posted Image

V/A-Garlic Shake

I need more listens but so far sounds a bit boring for my Suomi taste. Even the Salakavala vs Scozbor track is meh. This is the second Suomi releases that let me down this month after Mandalavandalz's album. That's okay I still have Mixed By Sharaku.

Posted Image

Electrypnose-Funked Up

I need more listens for that too, but so far it sounds fresh, different and innovative. Not 100% Psy, but nice slowtempo stuff perfect for home listening. The thing I appreciate the most is that every track has his own character and the melodies! Yep. it's filled with melodies, nice to see that.

Recommended!

Posted Image

Just got it this morning and gave it its first listen through my headphone setup.

Some tracks are really good, especially the one made by Chi-AD which i find to be *very* emotional. Probably the best morning track i've heard to this date.

The other track i really like is coming from Jannis (Filteria), which is the most (maybe the only) psychedelic tune of this compil for me - and the only one that made me want to stand up and dance. One regret though, i think i like the tone of his first version more (the one available on his website).

Those two tracks are clearly the highlights of this album for me, and justify by themselves the purchase of this compil'.

Other tracks didn't really interest me as much, they're very well produced and i'm sure a lot of ppl will love them - but to my (very picky) tastes, they let me down with that "nice but.. i don't feel anything listening to it" feeling. It's just that i'm not appealed by their melodies, usually sounding kind of empty/flat/uninspired to me. Remember that i'm being 100% subjective , i'm not criticizing by any mean.

All in all though i would say that it is a high quality morning compilation, totally worth having just for the Chi-AD track.

Posted Image

I just had it as well :) @ Isao, listen to it more often... It's a grower, the first time I heard it 2 days ago I was like "yes..." but now I like it alot more already, it's like the Ra album I think, the more you listen, the more you like... best are for me now: Chi-ad, Virtuart, Antares and Ra...

Pure morning goa trance like nobody else releases it anymore, finally music with EMOTIONAL melodies! True Trance

I just had it as well :) @ Isao, listen to it more often... It's a grower, the first time I heard it 2 days ago I was like "yes..." but now I like it alot more already, it's like the Ra album I think, the more you listen, the more you like... best are for me now: Chi-ad, Virtuart, Antares and Ra...

Pure morning goa trance like nobody else releases it anymore, finally music with EMOTIONAL melodies! True Trance

This album will get a lot more listen thats for sure, already gave it a second try and i'm liking the California Sunshine and Virtuart tracks more than before.

Waiting for a full review by a skilled writer to post some more thoughts, but thats deffo a high quality release.

Abakus - We Share The Same Dreams

Posted Image

I was expecting this to be quite bad but it is really really good. Very nicely chilled out, occasionally more upbeat & less samples than the debut but an excellent follow up to That Much Closer To The Sun :D

Pan Electric & Ishq - About Time

Posted Image

This sounds much more like Pan Electric that Ishq but I love pan Electric too. Acoustic joy & psychedelic twisted goodness :)

Posted Image

Very nice, I've enjoyed this a lot so far. Oozes class throughout from the lush cover to the lovely sounds. Very morning, light psychedelic sounds that gently brush your brain rather than sticking a psy-spike in it :rolleyes: Love Artifact303 - Energy Waves and the rest seems to be growing :D

Posted Image

This is great :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

The last album I found very enjoyable but the samples got boring like little britain. This album though is just fantastic, the samples don't have any negative affects on the music & the diversity on the album is great. I really love Attitude Engine. The only thing I don't like is the start of Durka Durka with the durka durka samples & farts. But it's a very small (& short) gripe on a top notch album. A must buy! Glad I got it :posford: :posford: :posford:

Posted Image

This is great :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

The last album I found very enjoyable but the samples got boring like little britain. This album though is just fantastic, the samples don't have any negative affects on the music & the diversity on the album is great. I really love Attitude Engine. The only thing I don't like is the start of Durka Durka with the durka durka samples & farts. But it's a very small (& short) gripe on a top notch album. A must buy! Glad I got it :posford: :posford: :posford: :posford:

The thought, 2 squared, too?

The pleasure, 4 squared

Posted Image

Kaya Project - ...And So It Goes

Not knowing this one was being released (so no build-up of expectations) I have been quite satisfied with what I have heard, it's good old Kaya Project, nothing fancy here, but the project is moving in an even more organic direction than the previous two albums. Lots of blues guitar (or what ever it is) and other instruments, so moving a bit away from the electronic, but still nice. Its no ground breaker, but a good journey! If u liked the two previous albums and you would like the hear more, it's definitely recommended!

Posted Image

VA - Shamanisma (2CDs)

What a weird compilation, with that I mean the way its put together! Lots of music styles in the melting pot, sometimes it feels randomly put together but I think I can see some red thread in there, most tracks are heavily infected with melodies, in different shapes and forms. It's from forest trance to suomi and goa on the upbeat CD, with some really good tracks, and by artist I have never heard of before, nice! The downtempo CD is also very randomly compiled with almost every track being different from the previous, wouldn't work as a set play-list (god no!) but there are still at a lot of interesting stuff to be heard, it somehow reminds me of Dropout's VA - Spacedivers in its weird setup and style, but this one is less "dark".

But I think its definitely an interesting release, maybe not with the best mastering or good flow in the compiling but is has other qualities! It also has a dose of underground sound to it :P

Posted Image

Hibernation - Some Things Never Change

First impression: Good! It has lots of different ideas and beautifully executed. I still need to listen to this some more, and I think I will appreciate it even more when times go by! :) And two releases by Seb Taylor in one week, almost too much to ask :P

Posted Image

Mystical Sun - Energy Mind Consciousness

Very nice mellow and relaxing album. Much more cohesive than Depper worlds but maybe not as cohesive as Primordial Atmospheres. To get an idea on how this sound like, think of Primordial Atmospheres with the style and sound from Deeper Worlds. I would say this is an essential release for any downtempo fan. And if you liked anything Mystical Sun has done in the past, the you'll surely love this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

This is good. The Osom tracks are in a similar vein to Alien Mental's album, albeit more self-consciously weird, and the Kindzadza & * tracks sound like a more jagged version of Waves from Inner Space. I'm not so keen on the Psykovsky & * tracks, they have a few too many stops and starts and tempo changes for my liking, but if you're a fan of Psykovsky's other work you'll probably dig them. I intent to write a review at some point.

Posted Image

This is good. The Osom tracks are in a similar vein to Alien Mental's album, albeit more self-consciously weird, and the Kindzadza & * tracks sound like a more jagged version of Waves from Inner Space. I'm not so keen on the Psykovsky & * tracks, they have a few too many stops and starts and tempo changes for my liking, but if you're a fan of Psykovsky's other work you'll probably dig them. I intent to write a review at some point.

Instabuy

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

I gave this a try partly because I loved his track Lucid Dreaming and partly because I found no evidence that anybody else on psynews bought this album and I felt like one of us ought to. And I'm glad I did. Nice melodic psy, it's cheesy in places but has moments of sheer euphoric brilliance.